PDA

View Full Version : Employee Christmas Gifts

PTP
12-13-2011, 01:56 PM
I am really wanting to improve the overall atmosphere of my company. It is not bad right now but we can do better. Part of that is going to be Christmas gifts for the employees at the company party.

This is what I am starting off with.

http://www.fenixlight.com/UploadFiles/2010122215305186.jpg

I might throw in a bit of cash as well. A box of batteries seems like the thing to do as well.

I know that I would sure have liked one of these when I was an employee.

GreenI.A.
12-13-2011, 03:55 PM
I have always thought that gifts from employeers are kinda cheesy. Some people will love the light, others may look at it and say its just another flash light. I'm more in the thought of a Visa gift card, let the guys have that to take their wife/girlfriend out or they can use it towards christmas resents. if the guy wants a flashlight he can use the gift card to go get it.

Also if you have to buy a few cards most companies will give you a discount if you by a bunch. I bought a few hundred dollars in Dunkin Donuts cards this year and the manager gave we 30% off plus he threw in a few pounds of coffee

FoghornLeghorn
12-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Yea, let them choose what to buy. Give them a bonus on their check, outright cash, or a gift card and let them choose.

wbw
12-13-2011, 07:18 PM
I like the idea of a gift. They will have that light long after they would have blown the cash. It will remind them. Of course a little cash to go along with it would be nice.

AI Inc
12-14-2011, 07:12 AM
I do a weeks pay. MOst use it for their xmass shopping as they have been layed off for a month now.

Brodie
12-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Last year we did gifts, what I did was get some hand made wooden pens and had them embossed with each employees name. All in all people appreciated the gift and it is something they can use every day and can keep.

Im not sure where i read it but a study was done on employment enrichment, most people said that they appreciated an actual physical gift (something that someone has thought about) rather than cash. Don't get me wrong I'm sure people like the extra money but if the exercise is to increase morale then I think an actual gift would be better.

GreenI.A.
12-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Last year we did gifts, what I did was get some hand made wooden pens and had them embossed with each employees name. All in all people appreciated the gift and it is something they can use every day and can keep.

Im not sure where i read it but a study was done on employment enrichment, most people said that they appreciated an actual physical gift (something that someone has thought about) rather than cash. Don't get me wrong I'm sure people like the extra money but if the exercise is to increase morale then I think an actual gift would be better.

I understand the idea of people appreciating a gift that you put thought into, but I think that is more in the line of when you buy individual gifts that fits each person. Not a blanket gift that you give to everyone, yes some may enjoy it, but I'm sure just as many if not more are thinking "I would rather the $20 he spent on this"

jcollin
12-14-2011, 07:56 PM
I would rather have the cash myself. I think if you get them the flashlight they may think "great now he's going to have us work all night too!!''LOL

PTP
12-15-2011, 08:16 PM
I don't know about the cash thing. I am getting them other things too - gift cards to stores that I know that they like - but I would think that it is a pretty cool gift if I was in their shoes.

Here is what I am thinking. The employees already get quite high pay. I am at least 50% over the average for the area but having good pay isn't everything. You also need a good working environment. Things like coffee in the morning, paid days off, good quality equipment, ice for the cooler, and things like that are not necessarily expensive but they go a long way toward improving employee morale.

The Christmas gifts and the Christmas party are just one more step in that direction.

Landscape Poet
12-15-2011, 08:43 PM
As the old saying goes....Cash talks and bull.....

Ticolawnllc
12-15-2011, 10:32 PM
I gave one guy a sweater because he was new. The other guys get cash. I'm a miner partner so I gave $150 each. The company will give them a cash from the company.

If I had given the new guy cash it would be compared with the regular guys and make them feel cheep.