PDA

View Full Version : What are thr chances of being caught without a pesticide license

kebrowns
12-13-2011, 06:22 PM
I was just wondering (no point intended) what are the chances of being caught with out a pesticide applicator license. If I "on the side apply pesticide" even the ones form homedepot or lowes.

JB1
12-13-2011, 06:24 PM
whats the chances of getting caught driving without a license.

Florida Gardener
12-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Sorry, but the fact that you want to do this earns no respect with me. There are people out there who worked long and hard to get licensed and paid their dues. You are just stealing from those people.

RGM
12-13-2011, 06:36 PM
any one from company that has a license and sees you out with out the license on your truck will turn you in

kebrowns
12-13-2011, 06:57 PM
License on my truck?

RussellB
12-13-2011, 06:59 PM
To be clear, I DO NOT apply pesticides but I find it funny that applicators are so uptight about the ones that are unlicensed and their reasoning is that they are taking work from them. IF YOU are truly concerned it should be because they may apply something that harms a pet or person and casts a black eye on the industry. There are people in every field that do work without the proper licences some probably at your alls house/business. Get over it.
Posted via Mobile Device

kebrowns
12-13-2011, 07:00 PM
I have no intesntion od doing this but a friend of mine is doing this. I am studying for the test and will take it next month I am the last guy on earth to be caught doing anything illegal. And I totally respect the industry. i am a professional in my current job and hate to see guys lie there way in. It does, however, happen.

Florida Gardener
12-13-2011, 07:55 PM
To be clear, I DO NOT apply pesticides but I find it funny that applicators are so uptight about the ones that are unlicensed and their reasoning is that they are taking work from them. IF YOU are truly concerned it should be because they may apply something that harms a pet or person and casts a black eye on the industry. There are people in every field that do work without the proper licences some probably at your alls house/business. Get over it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not an applicator, but they are stealing business from guys who put in the work to get the proper licensing.

Yes, that is the main concern, improperly applying pesticides, but that is a given since they are asking how easy it would be for them to get caught.

I'm not losing sleep over these guys, trust me. But it is wrong and should bother you to some degree b/c these are the guys driving the industry and prices down.

LindblomRJ
12-13-2011, 08:10 PM
It is not so much that they are taking away business from licensed applicators. But the risks for applying without a license are great. If you are caught without a license the fines are expensive. More than you'll make fines.

You are dealing with state agencies and federal regulations. So there is also potential criminal charges as well. Is it worth it for you to apply without a license? You like jail, you want to loose your home, truck and whatever else you may own? Your call.

As far as the licensed applicators, yes we are uptight about it, because of the training and testing we go through to show that we are proficient at application. Are using chemicals that are not found at the garden center, and more effective than the off the shelf home depot chemicals.

If they are not certified, not taking proper precautions in handling chemicals and other general stupidity reflects poorly on the industry. By being certified you take steps towards safe handling and safe application and better than someone using watered down ineffective weed-b-gone.

If you want to go into business do it right, seek the training and certification and carry insurance for your own sake. Well that and your customers peace of mind.

mattfromNY
12-13-2011, 09:35 PM
I feel it is not necessarily the fact that unlicensed applicators are taking away work from us that have paid our dues and become legit/ licensed/ responsible applicators, it is the fact that the unlicensed applicators and homeowners that apply incorrectly are destroying and poluting the environment, and giving the industry a 'black eye' when mis-applying products and we will all suffer the consequences when pesticides are banned.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Of about 250 landscaping companies in my area there's less then 10 larger then me. And one of the top 3 local companies tried that and they fined him $25,000 and he doesn't do it any more.

Turf Commando
12-13-2011, 11:02 PM
I think those who apply fert and squirt, knew the number(s) of non licensed applications that happen yearly, would raise some eyebrows...
Just like car insurance years ago 1/6 had none, I bet it's more like 3/3 today.

There will always be those who are above the law and get away with it..
Myself not an applicator, I understand the enviromental damage that could occur..

douglee25
12-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Can someone clarify what the license allows you to do? Is the license only necessary for commercial chemical applications? Or can one apply 'homeowner grade' stuff like Scotts or Preen for instance?

Doug

LindblomRJ
12-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Can someone clarify what the license allows you to do? Is the license only necessary for commercial chemical applications? Or can one apply 'homeowner grade' stuff like Scotts or Preen for instance?

Doug

It is for any pesticide. A homeowner can apply it on their own lawn. You can't apply anything without a license. It doesn't matter what grade.

douglee25
12-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Good to know. I always subbed it out but I was curious.

Doug
Posted via Mobile Device

dKoester
12-14-2011, 06:04 PM
My test is in February. Excited!

ralph02813
12-15-2011, 07:53 AM

Doug

A couple of local folks got caught - $1k I understand that a second offense can be around $25k. In RI you can put down fertilizer without a license that includes all grades commercial a home owner stuff from HD or lowes.
Put do not get caught with weed and feed or anything but straight fertilizer on your person.
I an not a big pesticide/herbicide person but a strong believer in a solid fertilizer program, almost all of my customer expect the biannual soil test.

I take my test in jan. - only because its the right thing to do oh yeah, and then on your truck and business cards you can put licensed and insured!

spitfire3416
05-12-2012, 06:37 PM
I know a guy who only goes out on sundays to do it. that's the only day they're not out checking up on landscapers..

Orrdc
05-13-2012, 01:49 AM
I have customers that want me to just roll over their lawn with the Scott's plus 2 from home depot, I told them I can't do it legally, but really it seems odd.

What if I just do it for free? I mean, Really for generic stuff like that we are talking 5 min on a small residential lawn

SSmith
05-13-2012, 07:58 AM
I have customers that want me to just roll over their lawn with the Scott's plus 2 from home depot, I told them I can't do it legally, but really it seems odd.

What if I just do it for free? I mean, Really for generic stuff like that we are talking 5 min on a small residential lawn

Do it on a weekend when they're home and have them stand out there with you. Goofy, aint it?

I have this new condo I'm mowing this season and it looks like total garbage. They want me to do the weed control.....I'm thinking about breaking the law. I'm a rebel. I'm gonna put down some stuff any idiot can buy at Home Depot.

inzane
05-13-2012, 08:04 AM
it would be a pretty good chance if you came into my neighborhood. because i'd be turning your ass in. :nono:
I was just wondering (no point intended) what are the chances of being caught with out a pesticide applicator license. If I "on the side apply pesticide" even the ones form homedepot or lowes.

ReddensLawnCare
05-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Do it on a weekend when they're home and have them stand out there with you. Goofy, aint it?

I have this new condo I'm mowing this season and it looks like total garbage. They want me to do the weed control.....I'm thinking about breaking the law. I'm a rebel. I'm gonna put down some stuff any idiot can buy at Home Depot.

Your kidding right?
To another poster, the law in NC states you have to be licensed if you charge for it. So if you do it for free and you buy the material, then legally you can apply it, but who in there right mind would do that
Posted via Mobile Device

inzane
05-13-2012, 12:38 PM
your in georgia. its 40 for the books, about 45 for the test. 90 for the applicators license once you pass, about 55 for the year for contractors license after you get the insurance. I would rather pay for all of that to do it the legal way, rather than to risk having to pay a fine. :hammerhead: the test is easy.

Duekster
05-13-2012, 01:45 PM
In Texas, it is 10K per offense. I know people do it because they would roll into Lesco and buy 40 bags of weed and feed. The dealer would ask them if they have a license, they would say no. He would warn them as he wrote up the sales order. :(

The basic federal law is you can not apply a registered pesticide to the property of another for money, wage or barter. You need some sort of a licenses and insurance.

Dr.NewEarth
05-13-2012, 01:49 PM
I've had an applicators license for sixteen years. I have never been approached by the enforcers.

Besides the license, the companies here must also have a yearly permit that costs about $200 dollars. (government money grab) They say this is is because we are selling a service.

The government has never enforced this on any-one that I know of in my region.

As with most things, If no-one complains about your service then the law enforcers won't come around to check up on you.

If you're licensed and you have done every-thing correct, then there should be no problem in my mind.

Most of the cities around here have a pesticide ban now. Although our federal government still allows things with 2,4-d and glyphosate. If you know where to look you can find what you need. We never had as many pesticides available as the U.S.

In my opinion, the pesticides were banned here because any body could buy and misuse any and all pesticides here without a license. Yet, the professionals who know what to do (and re-read the directions every-time they use a product) had to be licensed and permitted and taxed. If the government could have regulated who bought pesticides, then things might be different.

As it is, they are poisoning our ground water and killing our bees and our children.

We can do without pesticides. It just takes a different skill set.

93Chevy
05-13-2012, 02:37 PM
I guess just because you're licensed means you're not going to misuse a product. I know of plenty of idiots who are licensed that do terrible work and cause a lot of harm (i.e. Tru Green)

I know more about pesticides than many licensed guys, but they're out there effing everything up. I say the licensed applicators who eff up lawns are more of a black plague on the industry, just like Class A CDL drivers who screw up and cause accidents.

You should be held to a higher standard with your license...but nobody is.

Duekster
05-13-2012, 02:42 PM
I guess just because you're licensed means you're not going to misuse a product. I know of plenty of idiots who are licensed that do terrible work and cause a lot of harm (i.e. Tru Green)

I know more about pesticides than many licensed guys, but they're out there effing everything up. I say the licensed applicators who eff up lawns are more of a black plague on the industry, just like Class A CDL drivers who screw up and cause accidents.

You should be held to a higher standard with your license...but nobody is.

Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Seriously sounds like so half assed justification.

93Chevy
05-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Seriously sounds like so half assed justification.

A justification for what? I don't spray...I'm not even self employed anymore.

I'm just saying there's a bunch of licensed idiots out there, so we should emphasize education on proper ecological practices, not the almighty license that legally allows you to destroy lawns.

Duekster
05-13-2012, 02:51 PM
A justification for what? I don't spray...I'm not even self employed anymore.

I'm just saying there's a bunch of licensed idiots out there, so we should emphasize education on proper ecological practices, not the almighty license that legally allows you to destroy lawns.

You can not legally destroy a lawn. The license assure that you have studied the basics and tested to a level of basic competency. There are also CEU to be earned each year and insurance to carry.

I agree on the best practice aspects, I subscribe to the concept of IPM.

However, a licenses is better than no licenses any day of the week. :hammerhead:

93Chevy
05-13-2012, 02:57 PM
You can not legally destroy a lawn. The license assure that you have studied the basics and tested to a level of basic competency. There are also CEU to be earned each year and insurance to carry.

I agree on the best practice aspects, I subscribe to the concept of IPM.

However, a licenses is better than no licenses any day of the week. :hammerhead:

I was being overly poignant about destroying a lawn to prove my point. Of course a license is better, but at least in PA, the license doesn't mean you actually know what you're doing.

"How come your lawn applications aren't killing that weed?"

"I'll just have to spray it again" (Not knowing that 2-4d isn't necessarily effective on all species of broadleaf weeds)

Duekster
05-13-2012, 03:02 PM
I was being overly poignant about destroying a lawn to prove my point. Of course a license is better, but at least in PA, the license doesn't mean you actually know what you're doing.

"How come your lawn applications aren't killing that weed?"

"I'll just have to spray it again" (Not knowing that 2-4d isn't necessarily effective on all species of broadleaf weeds)

Just think how bad that person would be without a license. :confused:

I suspect there will be a time when Applicators have to go through training besides that given to them by the licensed operator.

kebrowns
05-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Just to let every one know I passed my pesticide test in February and I am a certified contractor. I have been treating yards legal now since then.

Duekster
05-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Just to let every one know I passed my pesticide test in February and I am a certified contractor. I have been treating yards legal now since then.

So why do you ask?:rolleyes:

charmill26
05-17-2012, 10:55 PM
In nebraska there is a 99% chance of never being caught. Its a lost cause. I got certified this year. I dont know anymore now than before I was certified. Seems like its just good revenue for the state (go figure). The tests only deal with wearing proper PPE, figuring out how to mix and figure out sq ft of the area to be applied. and of course "teaching" you how to read a label/know english. I almost wish that it was more in depth