PDA

View Full Version : College

osmann_lawn
12-13-2011, 07:59 PM
I was thinking about going to a 2 year tech school for an associate degree in horticulture/landscaping/design. What do you guys think on this?

RussellB
12-13-2011, 08:12 PM
How about a business degree with a side of horticulture?
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
12-13-2011, 08:42 PM
How about a business degree with a side of horticulture?
Posted via Mobile Device

My thoughts exactly.

osmann_lawn
12-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Good idea i will be doing that. Do you think comunity colleges/tech schools offer business classes? or is that more of a 4 year degree?

32vld
12-14-2011, 03:14 PM
I would go for the landscape design architect degree. While in school work part time for a high end landscaper.

Then at that point you can re evaluate the need for a Business degree. If you want one you can go part time and start your own business to avoid school loans.

osmann_lawn
12-14-2011, 06:45 PM
I think i will take a few classes for landscape design/horticulture. There is a tech school by me that combines it all. Than when i am done with those classes get some kind of business degree

T Scapes
12-14-2011, 10:47 PM
if your tech school doesnt have any business class which i cant imagine they wouldn't and you want to focus on the horiculture class then try and take some business class at night at a community college

Swampy
12-15-2011, 02:42 AM
I glad I found this after my vague email from earlier. From my expirence at Milwaukee Area Tech College, The hort classes are pretty good. Like any school you get what you make of it. MATC splits it into career tracks whether you want to do Construction, Maintenance/Arboricutlute, or Design. They used to have a garden center and sales track but due to lack of interest they dropped it.

They have a focus on Plant ID, they have a basic tree/evergreen ID class, more indepth shrub and tree, annual and perinnal, and turf classes that go more into ID and culture of speices of plants. Note the turf class when I took it, focused more on sports turf, and the northern grass speices. But they did touch on the southern grasses like st. augustine, zoyisa, and bermuda but again they don't grow here. Also there is a section in a class that goes into "weed" identifcation and how to deal with it.

There is classes that do go into the business end but I'd have to say they are not like a stand alone business class. They have a bidding and estimating class but honestly its just a landscaping alegbra class. Marketing and Communications does focus on just as the title says but again it touches the base of it.

Also they have design classes if you want to learn something about placing plants in a landscape using size, color, texture, fall color, etc. I would seriously recommend these classes if you are looking at more of the construction side of landscaping. Anybody can dig a hole(s) and shove a plant in it, but a great landscaper with some design background can make it look good and know what is going to be more maintenance friendly.

The business end though they touch the importance of say using a contract but didn't go into business law of actually writing a contract.

osmann_lawn
12-15-2011, 06:46 PM
MATC is the only campus that offers those classes in mequan? Sounds like exacatly what i would want to learn. Yep i would like to get into the designing/construction side as well. Are you planning on working for someone else or getting your business going?

Swampy
12-16-2011, 12:02 AM
yes only in meqoun, they have all the equipment up and green houses up there, but for the general and electives can be taken at any campus. I'd rather work for myself, and find something part/full time till the loans are paid off.

osmann_lawn
12-17-2011, 01:57 AM
I think that is like 45 miles from me lol! It might be a little to far but that would be an option. I would rather get an associate degree than just a certificate. Don't know if it means anymore. I was also looking at the gateway tech school program for horticultere/landscaping. Yeah i agree with you 100%. Working for someone else 9 times out of 10 sucks! You still have a shop in Waukesha? how much you paying for rent you should post some pics!

Swampy
12-17-2011, 04:41 AM
Match gives you the option of turning your2 year into a 4 with concorda with liberal science. What part of the brew city are you from. Its not really a shop more like a shed I'm renting temporarily.
Posted via Mobile Device

osmann_lawn
12-17-2011, 04:21 PM
I live out in East Troy aka Alpine Valley lol. Takes about 45 min to get to downtown Milwaukee. ARe you planning on going for 4 years? Blackhawk tech only has night classes withc sucks because i work freight part time at The Home Depot 6-12 mon-fri. Can't afford to loose that job! At MATC online it says they have day classes. I wonder if i would be able to go 3-4 times a week full days? not sure how all that works.

osmann_lawn
12-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Do you know anything about the afternoon classes if they really have them?

Swampy
12-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Yeah that's what i started off with, day classes, but i work during day or try to lol. I might take a little break to pay down those loans.
Posted via Mobile Device

osmann_lawn
12-17-2011, 07:57 PM
oh okay awesome. is it expensive there?

Swampy
12-17-2011, 08:12 PM
you range between 275-325 a class.