PDA

View Full Version : Lehr trimmers and blowers?

dutchacres
12-13-2011, 08:44 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys were using the Lehr trimmers or blowers. I am wanting to start marketing my company as a green company and want to switch everything I can to either biodiesel or propane. I found the Lehr trimmers and blowers today but they tell me they are more marketed to homeowner use. I was planning on buying a blower and a trimmer to try out but didn't want to waste my time on junk.
Posted via Mobile Device

CL&T
12-13-2011, 09:48 PM
The ST025SS straight shaft trimmer doesn't look too bad.

As far as marketing as a green company, I don't think anybody you want to do business with cares and it's certainly not going to be in your best interest to charge more for it. Besides, those few who do care wouldn't expect you to be using power equipment regardless of how it's powered.

CL&T
12-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Besides, doesn't it make sense to use a domestic fuel?

No argument there.

douglee25
12-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Companies get credits for going green. I see a potential market for this honestly.

Doug

dutchacres
12-14-2011, 08:57 PM
I agree and I think that there is a market for a green company using environmentally clean equipment. I also think that since using propane will save me money on fuel and maintenance. I figure I could market my business as being green and if it helps earn a few more customers than that is a plus. I wouldn't charge any more than what I currently charge since it isn't costing me anymore money. I just think that more and more people are paying more attention to the environment and any way I can get a advantage is good to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Merkava_4
12-18-2011, 04:24 AM
Fuel contamination has always been a big problem with gasoline powered equipment. With propane being sealed up in a cartridge, that takes care of that.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-24-2011, 10:41 PM
the EPA are ******s

LindblomRJ
12-25-2011, 03:03 AM
Not only that but the EPA says that over 17 million gallons are SPILLED each year. That's more than the Exxon Valdez.

It's crazy...

When it comes to mowers and the like I'd like to think the majority of those spilling are home owners.

Looking at the Lehr I have two issues... The first are they really able to hold up to commercial use? I understand that propane is clean things like plugs and carbs will not foul up. As a whole how is the machine assembled? Can it take the being pulled off the rack a dozen times a day?

The next issue is the 1 pound canisters of fuel. For a landscape that cost might add up quicky and might not be the most effective.

For a home owner I think they would be the ticket. Not sure how viable they would be in a commercial application.

Any thoughts?

Patriot Services
12-25-2011, 09:21 AM
The cannister thing is an issue as well as the overall weight of the machines is heavy.
Posted via Mobile Device

LindblomRJ
12-25-2011, 09:24 AM
The cannister thing is an issue as well as the overall weight of the machines is heavy.
Posted via Mobile Device

I concur. I think they try to mitigate that by offering a shoulder strap.

CL&T
12-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Not only that but the EPA says that over 17 million gallons are SPILLED each year. That's more than the Exxon Valdez.

It's crazy...

I would like to see where they get that number from. Regardless of the accuracy, a large part has to be attributed to vehicle accidents and other such events that do not directly involve user sloppiness. A couple of years ago I was filling my truck at a gas station and the nozzle wouldn't shut off spilling around five gallons on the ground until I could hit the emergency off button. I had to call the cops because they insisted on my paying for the fuel on the ground.

LindblomRJ
12-25-2011, 08:57 PM
I don't believe the Lehr is still being produced. It was bought by another company and will be refined and offerred again.

As for the one pounders, Manchester makes a refillable tank:

http://www.mantank.com/green/refillable.htm

Many things are in the works to make this more user-friendly.

Now a refillable tank would be beyond handy.

If they could control weight and make sure it is able to hold up to the use and abuse I am guessing they could be successful.

CL&T
12-25-2011, 11:01 PM
They have good intentions...

No, they just do what the lobbyists with the most money want.

944own
12-26-2011, 06:17 PM
I spill gas about once a week but its not my fault. I can blame it on the stihl gas cap on my blower and I usually spill it all down my back.:dizzy:

cleanairNC
02-07-2012, 01:05 PM
I'd stay away. I used the Lehr straight shaft trimmer at a commercial level and it was JUNK. In the matter of months, I had to replace two fuel hoses, the handle broke twice, had to adjust the carb almost every use, they changed the oil level recommendation without telling anyone, and with most 4-cycle engines, you had to keep it perfectly level or else it would clog up and die. While the customer service was helpful in replacing these parts, it just wasn't worth it. I'd say it lasted about 2-3 months. Heaviest machine we'd ever used, and yes, the tanks were beginning to pile up in the shop.

dboyd351
03-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Now a refillable tank would be beyond handy.

Guess you've never seen the little brass adaptor fitting that lets you fill the 1 gallon tank from a 20 gallon tank. Don't think the EPA condones it, but I hear it works.

LindblomRJ
03-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Guess you've never seen the little brass adaptor fitting that lets you fill the 1 gallon tank from a 20 gallon tank. Don't think the EPA condones it, but I hear it works.

Yes I have seen the adaptors. :hammerhead: Not sure if I would ever want to try to mess with them.

TimTim2008
04-17-2012, 03:36 PM
http://www.stihlusa.com/graphics/li-ion-products.jpg

anyone seen these? or used them?

http://www.stihlusa.com/li-ion.html

cleanairNC
04-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Yes, I have the blower and the heavy-duty trimmer. So far so good, but we've only had them about a month, so I'll provide more feedback after we've put them through the gauntlet of an NC summer. I can tell you now that the blower with one battery is good for the better part of one day on residential mows. The trimmer goes through the battery a little faster, but thats to be expected. If Stihl made an electric edger, I'd be all set. Also, Stihl is doing a $100 rebate on the batteries if purchased with any piece of the equipment.

LindblomRJ
04-19-2012, 09:30 PM
I'd think for small sites the battery powered equipment would be something worth looking into.

I have been wondering about the battery powered stihl equipment.

Michael2000
06-16-2012, 06:07 PM
I have to wonder who's engine Lehr is using, since they are 4 cycle. Ryobi?

I looked at Lehr equipment after getting fed up with multiple carburetor replacement due to ethanol in gas, but shied away after reading personal reviews that said the equipment was hard to start. Ironically, Ryobi 4 cycle gas engines have the same problem.

These must be really bad engine designs. Typically, 4 cycle engines are easier to start than 2 cycle, and propane engines are easier to start than gasoline engines.

I think there is a market here. People are tired of gasoline that doesn't store well, gasoline that absorbs water, and gasoline that often has ethanol over the rated 10%. The propane equipment manufacturers just need to build good quality equipment with easily refillable and economical cannisters.

Michael

zturncutter
10-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Yes, I have the blower and the heavy-duty trimmer. So far so good, but we've only had them about a month, so I'll provide more feedback after we've put them through the gauntlet of an NC summer. I can tell you now that the blower with one battery is good for the better part of one day on residential mows. The trimmer goes through the battery a little faster, but thats to be expected. If Stihl made an electric edger, I'd be all set. Also, Stihl is doing a $100 rebate on the batteries if purchased with any piece of the equipment.

So how has the trimmer and blower held up this year ?

Ecotech
11-26-2012, 05:06 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys were using the Lehr trimmers or blowers. I am wanting to start marketing my company as a green company and want to switch everything I can to either biodiesel or propane. I found the Lehr trimmers and blowers today but they tell me they are more marketed to homeowner use. I was planning on buying a blower and a trimmer to try out but didn't want to waste my time on junk.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have both and honestly there is an issue with their quality. When they work they way they should there is ample power from the trimmer, but there is a considerable weight to them. The blower is under powered for large cleanups, but for quick jobs it actually works well. I have the mower as well, but it is by far the worst of the group and I couldn't recommend it to anyone.

DR J
01-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Would love to see some pics of blower and mower. Ran the trimmer high use heavy load, what an oil spiting green china piece of chit. Can't believe a honda or echo would not just nail this side of equipment down. Glad PERC gave these guys a bunch of money lol.