PDA

View Full Version : Help selecting an enclosed trailer

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Guys,

Have narrowed down my wish list for an enclosed trailer to either a 7x12 or 7x14 size. I will not have to buy until next April so I have a little time to kick this around and get some prices. At any rate, here is what two dealers said so far:

1) Carry On 7x14 tandem axle, non V nose I believe, 6' height.
$4,200 new

2) Featherlite aluminum 7x14' tandem axle, 6'6" height.
$7,750 new

Lots of difference in prices I know, but Al costs way more and I realize I am paying for the featherlite name.
Is Carry On something I really want to avoid when shopping?
I want a trailer that will last me for 5-10 years at least, and will pay for up to a mid range trailer, don't want cheap junk.
Any other brands I should check out?
Is used a reliable way to go?

djagusch
12-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Stealth makes a good alum trailer (which is decent price), Haulmark is another brand I see alot of.

I would not buy a used trailer. You said it in your post you are looking for a 5 to 10 yr investment, why would you chance that purchase with used. A trailer that has been overloaded doesn't look different but stuff can bent and tweaked, making tires wear unevenly, or track differently.

Go spend some money on a decent trailer. Order it for what you want (color, axle, doors, height, rims, interior finish) and you will want to keep it for 5 to 10 yrs.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-14-2011, 06:50 PM
OK - so is a new Carry On trailer a feasible way to go then? Or should I go with the brands you mentioned? What are the middle-of-the road options? Don't necessarily want to go with featherlite due to the premium price tag.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
12-14-2011, 07:15 PM
We have pace enclosed trailers they are really rugged. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
12-14-2011, 07:20 PM
I have not heard of Carry-On trailers nor seen them. So I won't comment on them. Their specs seem ok but what the roof material they say I don't know about.

I mentioned this in another thread but call the guy in this craigslist ad. He is a customer of mine (I mow his house and biz) and then I became a customer of his. He seems to buy a high volume and good value on his products. A trailer dealer doesn't need to be very close as they don't have much issues and axle's are pretty universal.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/rvs/2739659014.html

I understand you don't want the wedge etc but look at the price (without the wedge would be much cheaper). I have looked at these and they are built well. Also 1/3 less weight of a steel trailer.

Maybe give him a call when you have a chance. Tell him what you want and he'll get some prices of different brands he carries. With the time frame you have he can order it with a stock order and maybe cut a price break there.

Also go with a screwless exterior (lettering is easier, not water marks from the rivets), upgrade the deck material so it's smooth waterproof composite material, side vents are nice so when you are driving down the road gas fumes, etc vent out of the trailer.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the reference, I briefly looked at his website, and it looks like you could pick up a nice 6x12 or 7x14 for under $5K, and some of the models are sub $3K (before upgrades I realize). I will keep this in mind.......

Oakleaf landscape
12-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Here's the website I ordered my Haulmark from.

Internet-trailer.com

Good company to work with. They got me a great deal on my 8.5x20 haulmark. It was custom built as well. You need to create an account and then you can sorta build your own trailer.

I created a 7x14 tandem axle Kodiak Enclosed trailer for you. Tandem 3500lb axles. Price was $4,261. You could probably talk them down to 4k. They have Haulmark, Featherlite, and Wells cargo on that site. And they also have all the options to pick from as well.

grasscutter24
12-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Oakleaf and Dependable,

What size trailer do you guys have? I am also in the process of looking for an enclosed trailer. I am not sure if 8.5 wide would be a pain in the butt driving all day or if I should go a little smaller with the width. Also, thinking a 24ft. long so that I can fit 3 zero turns and a wb. Interested in hearing what you guys have to say! thanks

grasscutter24
12-17-2011, 12:44 PM

Internet-trailer.com

Good company to work with. They got me a great deal on my 8.5x20 haulmark. It was custom built as well. You need to create an account and then you can sorta build your own trailer.

I created a 7x14 tandem axle Kodiak Enclosed trailer for you. Tandem 3500lb axles. Price was $4,261. You could probably talk them down to 4k. They have Haulmark, Featherlite, and Wells cargo on that site. And they also have all the options to pick from as well.

What made you go with Haulmark vs. Wells Cargo? Just curious because I have priced both out and Haulmark seems to be a lot cheaper. Trying to decide what I am going to do. How do you like yours so far?

PLS-Tx
12-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Oakleaf and Dependable,

What size trailer do you guys have? I am also in the process of looking for an enclosed trailer. I am not sure if 8.5 wide would be a pain in the butt driving all day or if I should go a little smaller with the width. Also, thinking a 24ft. long so that I can fit 3 zero turns and a wb. Interested in hearing what you guys have to say! thanks

I'm not one of those two guys but I will chime in.

We use a Pace 8.5X20. The extra width is nice inside but as you mentioned it can be a bit much driving all day, especially on some of the narrow back roads we have.

My next trailer will be 8' wide, I would even like to go 7' but that might be too small.

We carry 2 ztr's and the 20' works good for that.

grasscutter24
12-17-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm not one of those two guys but I will chime in.

We use a Pace 8.5X20. The extra width is nice inside but as you mentioned it can be a bit much driving all day, especially on some of the narrow back roads we have.

My next trailer will be 8' wide, I would even like to go 7' but that might be too small.

We carry 2 ztr's and the 20' works good for that.

Thank you for your input. Just made my decision a lot easier for me! Will be going with an 8' wide. We have to drive on a good amount of back roads around here as well. I have read other threads on this site and it seems that everyone that has a Pace trailer is happy with it. Do you know how the Pace trailer compares $$$ wise to the Wells Cargo or Haulmark?

Southscapes03
12-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Just for comparison, I just called to order my enclosed trailer so i can share my costs and Ideas.

Ordering an 8x18 Grey in color with 5200# axles, 5ft side ramp door and rear ramp door. the side ramp door will be used to pull my walker in and the rear for my Kubota ZD323. The side ramp door apealed to me as you will not have unload the whole trailer to get the front mower out!!! Im getting it with a rounded V nose and standing my trimmers up on the wall to save space on the side walls. The trailer company is Covered Wagon trailers out of GA and I have seen there trailers first hand and they are built nice. This set up is running me $ 4200:cool2: Im trading in my 16' Goose Neck trailer that I have been using for 5 years now. I love the manuverability of the goose neck, but after having some equipment stolen and some issues with mower sensors, its time to go Enclosed! Ill post up some pics when I take delivery in mid Jan

grasscutter24
12-17-2011, 04:46 PM
I'll have to check it out. Never seen a Covered Wagon around here before! That's a pretty good price. You'll have to post some pics once you get it.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-17-2011, 05:09 PM

Internet-trailer.com

Hey great resource. At the very least, I can price out a trailer with the options I want and use that to my advantage with dealers.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
12-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Grass cutter.
We have one 16ft and one 14ft. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oakleaf landscape
12-20-2011, 04:59 PM
I have an 8.5x20. Yea the 8.5 width can be a pain driving on small roads and making sharp turns that you can't swing wide. But it's nice to not have to move all the mowers to get the small one out of the front. I have a 52in stander, 36in WB, and 21 in push. I still have PLENTY of room in it. Can easily walk around without tripping over mowers and gas cans.
I went with the Haulmark over Wells because of the price. Wells was WAY out of my range. For a trailer that is going to be worked hard and beat up I don't want to spend 10k+ on it. I like mine a lot though. No problems yet. BTW that extra 4 feet would be really nice to have but damn, parking that thing would be a B!TCH! Hope you have a short truck lol.

grasscutter24
12-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks everyone for your input! Oakleaf, did you end up going with the Kodiak yourself? lol Yea I am kind of going back and forth about the length, but I want to be able to fit 3zs in it along with a wb. I can't believe how expensive Wells is!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Is a screwless exterior a definite plus or not that big of a deal?

djagusch
12-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Is a screwless exterior a definite plus or not that big of a deal?

Mostly visual. Screwless makes vinyl go on easier and looks nicer (no bumps). The screws do make water makes etc on the trailer sides.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Mostly visual. Screwless makes vinyl go on easier and looks nicer (no bumps). The screws do make water makes etc on the trailer sides.

OK. I'll check out the guy you referred me to in East Bethel, MN. Though that is a nice jaunt for me to get a trailer....worth it if his pricing is competitive on a nice trailer.

Oakleaf landscape
12-24-2011, 04:47 PM
I wish I had gotten screw less. If i could do it again I definitely would! I went with the Thrifty Car Hauler Deluxe. Well worth the money. Got stabilizer jacks in the back and bogey wheels to prevent me from tearing off the back of the trailer. You can't get the kodiak in 8.5x20 and also it's almost as much as the Thrifty for the same size.

djagusch
01-05-2012, 08:21 PM
DA one thing to consider with the whole trailer purchase. If you go with a tandem axle set up your GVWR will be over 10,001 and you will need to have DOT numbers (and all the rules that go with it). If you want more details pm me.

Also at the MN green expo they have a Mock DOT inspection and info that would inform you of the rules. They normally have a "landscaper rules of the road" packet that is good to grab. They also have MNDOT website.

Figuring this stuff out before season starts makes it much easier.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-05-2012, 11:51 PM
I have been thinking about that. I would rather have dual axle but could easily skip the BS with my truck by doing a single axle trailer.
Things that need to be weighed out....

Southscapes03
01-15-2012, 08:38 PM
I got my trailer last week and got it mostly set up wed while it was raining out, and will take some pics tomorrow and try to post them up, but all I can say is that Im glad I went bigger because once you get all your stuff in there, it gets cramped quick. It pulls as good as my gooseneck did with the torsion axles, highly recomend them as they take all of the bounce out that you get with a tag trailer and spring axles:cool2:

Lefet
01-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Subscribing...

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-15-2012, 10:04 PM
South - what sized trailer you get?

Southscapes03
01-16-2012, 06:58 AM
8x18 with normal interior height

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-16-2012, 10:44 AM
8x18 with normal interior height

Awesome would like to see. Also, how tall are you and does the std 6' height impede? I am 6'2" and can stand straight up under the roof skin but have to duck slightly under the crossmembers. Doesn't seem too bad to me but would like another's opinion.

Oakleaf landscape
01-16-2012, 02:57 PM
I don't have to duck in mine and i'm 6'1".

Southscapes03
01-18-2012, 08:21 PM
well 'tomorrow' came and went! lol I had my camera with me and I took one pic and the battery died! shocker, oh well ill be pulling it again on friday and will have a full battery and will load some pics this weekend. I also wanted to wait until my tow mirrors came in for my truck since i cant see CHIT without them! I have never understood why a company sells a 3/4 or 1 ton truck designed for pulling without tow mirrors:dizzy:

anyway, pics will be soon