PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Fee

stickleylawncare
12-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Recently switched over to Quickbooks and fully planning to switch over for next year. Several customers are open to both online CC payments and the email invoicing. For those that do either, do you bite the cost as "the cost of doing business' or do you add some sort of small fee?

Im tempted to add a small fee, that would negate some of the cost, but I know I hate when I try to pay bills online and there is a "convenience fee".

JDT Property Care
12-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Why not just build that into your pricing and not show a fee? Just increase your prices 3% to make up for the % you'll be paying to accept a credit card...

I don't charge any additional fees to accept a credit card, after all, I am getting my money that much quicker.

GMLC
12-15-2011, 10:46 AM
I just started adding it into my estimates. I don't charge the whole amount of the transaction because I am saving on stamps, envelopes and my time. But I do charge them and they don't see it as a fee.

Roger
12-15-2011, 11:20 AM
I believe there are legal issues on "charging a fee." Before implementing a line item, you should check with your accountant, or attorney on this matter.

GreenI.A.
12-15-2011, 12:26 PM
here in MA we can not add a fee for credit card use, but ironically we can do the oposite and give a cash discount. Just about every gas station has one price and right beside it the cash price. If you are paying 3% on processing then simply raise all pricing 3%, if only half your sales are paying by credit card then raise your pricing 1.5% across the board to cover your fees.

willretire@40
12-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Do you have a loan or credit card with more than 3% Apr? If yes then why are you worried about losing 3% on cc fees?
Posted via Mobile Device

ringahding
12-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Recently switched over to Quickbooks and fully planning to switch over for next year. Several customers are open to both online CC payments and the email invoicing. For those that do either, do you bite the cost as "the cost of doing business' or do you add some sort of small fee?

Im tempted to add a small fee, that would negate some of the cost, but I know I hate when I try to pay bills online and there is a "convenience fee".

We just recently had to raise rates this past year. A lawn mowing that was $30 per cut, is now $32 per cut..we don't do credit cards, but if I were to add that feature, the per cut would look something like this $34.50

Ticolawnllc
12-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Why not just build that into your pricing and not show a fee? Just increase your prices 3% to make up for the % you'll be paying to accept a credit card...

I don't charge any additional fees to accept a credit card, after all, I am getting my money that much quicker.

You know who is likly to use and put some fat on them. Or jus up prices on every one. In 5 year almost every on is going to pay with bank check or bank card. Thats good, card payment can be taken over phone.

The less you tell them about your pricing the better off you will be.

newz7151
12-16-2011, 12:33 AM
here in MA we can not add a fee for credit card use,

Heh.. who says you can't? Google Durbin Amendment from the merchant standpoint.

Ticolawnllc
12-16-2011, 06:38 AM
I think adding a price hike for the "service" is the way to go. Taking credit cards will make us look more like pros. You could keep it on file and run it at a phone call.

Hi Mr. X; I wanted to know if it was ok to run your card xyz for this months service?:rolleyes: Ok, sure thank you. :)

or we can still do

Hi Mr. X I was call to talk about your balance. We havn't seen pay ment for last months bill. :mad:

willretire@40
12-16-2011, 09:07 AM
You are not allowed to keep credit card numbers on paper. It has to be in a program tagged has a password on it in order to be PCI compliant. Fines are huge in ever caught not being pci compliant.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
12-16-2011, 09:52 AM
I've allowed the online Intuit payments that only cost 50 cents but that is it. Some people say it only 3% but if your making 80K a year and the fee's cost you $10,000 a year on sales of 300K then you have really taken a 12.5% hit on your take home pay.

Online bill pay is so popular now that I just don't see any pressure to take credit cards. I have a high end clientele that probably has an average house hold income of $250-300k plus so I may not encounter the pressure people have dealing with your average middle class Joe.

GMLC
12-16-2011, 11:07 AM
You are not allowed to keep credit card numbers on paper. It has to be in a program tagged has a password on it in order to be PCI compliant. Fines are huge in ever caught not being pci compliant.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank You! You just saved me some serious trouble. It is extremely hard to be PCI compliant from what I just read on their website. It costs thousands of dollars in secure off server systems. Some companies have half the cc# on one system and the other half on another just to comply. I will have to rethink my auto-pay system. $25k fine per cc# found not stored PCI compliant!!!!