PDA

View Full Version : The Dry Box by Dura Plastic Products, Inc.

JimLewis
12-14-2011, 08:44 PM
This is a new product I saw in one of my trade journals today (Current issue of Landscape & Irrigation Magazine). I thought it was pretty cool. Would definitely take a little more time to install vs. a standard valve box. But once installed, they have a water tight seal and are said to keep out dirt, water, insects, snakes, rodents, frogs, etc.

They say it has a rubber sealed compression lock that seals by tightening the bolt in the center of the lid.

I know my service techs would LOVE it if we started installing these. It would make future wiring or valve maintenance a whole lot easier. I don't know. Maybe I'm the only one excited about this. But it looks like a very cool idea to me!

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-14-2011, 08:54 PM
manifolds:(
Posted via Mobile Device

txirrigation
12-14-2011, 09:18 PM
This is a new product I saw in one of my trade journals today (Current issue of Landscape & Irrigation Magazine). I thought it was pretty cool. Would definitely take a little more time to install vs. a standard valve box. But once installed, they have a water tight seal and are said to keep out dirt, water, insects, snakes, rodents, frogs, etc.

They say it has a rubber sealed compression lock that seals by tightening the bolt in the center of the lid.

I know my service techs would LOVE it if we started installing these. It would make future wiring or valve maintenance a whole lot easier. I don't know. Maybe I'm the only one excited about this. But it looks like a very cool idea to me!

The only thing I hate more than my ex wife.... is a manifold.

Anyway, what keeps the dirt from moving in from the openings where the pipes come in and out of the box? That would be saaaaweet for DCVA applications.

EDIT---

A few min later, and I changed my mind.... I hate my ex more than anything in life.

Wet_Boots
12-14-2011, 09:37 PM
but can you fit eight valves in there?

txirrigation
12-14-2011, 10:00 PM

hahaha

How much are these running?

bobw
12-14-2011, 10:19 PM
And what happens to the water that drains when you open up a valve for service?

Kiril
12-14-2011, 10:26 PM
I like the concept, but I'm thinking it would eventually fill up with crap and water, sealed or not.

And what happens to the water that drains when you open up a valve for service?

Makes a nice little pool?

Irrigation Contractor
12-14-2011, 10:56 PM

I like the idea, but implementing them in the field is the hard part. We use the Rainbird boxes just because we think they are better since they are not the cheapest.

We normally do not manifold, but on small builder systems that are 4-6 zones it is a good way to go. We took over from a company that installed a 6" valve box for every valve set side by side. 4-6 of those cheap a$$ boxes looks terrible and we use a large valve box with 3 - 4 / 1" PGA valves with no issues. 400 houses down and we may have had to replace 4 valves at the most so I do not see a problem with it.

Commercial sites are all 10" boxes or larger, yet we still see plenty of 6" boxes on apartment communities done by some of the competition.

1idejim
12-15-2011, 12:40 AM
I like the concept, but I'm thinking it would eventually fill up with crap and water, sealed or not.

Makes a nice little pool?

i like setting the valves on stone over a concrete pad

whatcha been doing kiril?

txirrigation
12-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Like this? haha

1idejim
12-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Like this? haha

nope........ you're silly this morning :)

txgrassguy
12-15-2011, 10:19 AM
I like the sealed aspect but is there a provision for a drain outlet along the bottom?
Water infiltration regardless of the source would make servicing the valves problematic especially if foreign matter was introduced as well.
I do see, however, on higher end installs, a valve box like this having it's applications though.
Right now I use a 6" round box per valve with the bottom six inches below the valve back filled with smaller diameter aggregate to promote draining as well as to support the valve. Easy to excavate, easy to clean out foreign matter and the aggregate packs well along the pipe so no more soil intrusion into the box either.
And txirrigation - you are starting to sound like me now.

Kiril
12-15-2011, 12:06 PM
whatcha been doing kiril?

Practicing my pick and flick skills that I learned from The Guide To Elegant Nose Picking. ;)

Mike Leary
12-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Practicing my pick and flick skills that I learned from The Guide To Elegant Nose Picking. ;)

Always good to have it down pat when meeting a client for the first time.

FoghornLeghorn
12-15-2011, 01:06 PM

I don't know, I've never seen his ex-wife.

Kiril
12-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Always good to have it down pat when meeting a client for the first time.

Yea, the quick pick and stealth flick while the client is looking away is definitely hard to master.

Wet_Boots
12-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Yea, the quick pick and stealth flick while the client is looking away is definitely hard to master.UPS truck is here - your new avatar has arrived

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1177/1ab6a47817a07ad42cc4eca.jpg

Mike Leary
12-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Pulling up to a job site, I think all of us check the rear view mirror to make sure we're clean.

irritation
12-15-2011, 06:12 PM
I love this shot in the video......:laugh:

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/5678/duro.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CVAAYKh2JtM

Mike Leary
12-15-2011, 07:14 PM
I love this shot in the video......:laugh:

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/5678/duro.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CVAAYKh2JtM

"Susie!, time for lunch, geez, where did she go? Call Lassie!"

irritation
12-15-2011, 07:57 PM
It looks like the box sits about 4" above grade
maybe a 12" Amtek box with a jumbo Carson lid
they probably put her favorite doll inside to get the pic.:hammerhead:

Mike Leary
12-15-2011, 08:10 PM
they probably put her favorite doll inside to get the pic.:hammerhead:

Super jumbo Carsons for me.

irritation
12-15-2011, 11:37 PM
After looking at the pic closer you can tell it's been photo chopped.
I would never buy that piece of crap anyways.:laugh: