PDA

View Full Version : Offsite job bidding from aerial map?

magneto259
12-15-2011, 06:37 AM
I am in the sealcoating industry and was wondering if anybody does any offsite bidding on jobs with aerial maps? I've heard of a few companys in my industry doing it but not sure what maps they are using that are accurate enough for that.

Also do any of you guys use and search engine optimization services? I listed my website on local.com and dexknow.com and they both want to tune up my site to get me on the first page of a search engine for a set price. I wasn't sure if these services work or are a waste.

Thanks in advance!

Landscapes8988
12-15-2011, 12:10 PM
I use google earth. It has a function that you can measure and it is VERY accurate!

magneto259
12-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Awesome! Thanks!

willretire@40
12-15-2011, 07:08 PM
goilawn is good

Darryl G
12-15-2011, 07:26 PM
I do it for snow plowing sometimes. I have tried for mowing but can't see enough detail and things are obscured by trees sometimes. Many towns/cities now have their tax assessors cards available online...might wanna look into that too.

magneto259
12-16-2011, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the replys. I'll look up the tax assessor maps. Thanks!

Darryl G
12-16-2011, 07:48 AM
The tax assessors "field card" will sometimes show a calculation of the paved area, especially for non-residential properties.

magneto259
12-20-2011, 08:12 AM
My countys website isn't that fancy....lol. I'll do some measuring with google earth and compare my hand measurements with the map. Thanks!

Dr.NewEarth
12-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Alot of cities have a web service called G.I.S. global information system?.
Some-times there is a charge for this on line.

I use it for Arborist Reports when I want to show the location of a property to city hall staff, in relation to neighboring properties. I would never use a satellite service to do my estimating. The detail is minimal and I wouldn't chance it for my other services.

You can get basic measurements of lot site size with G.I.S.
Some cities web services may offer more information.
Google the "City name and GIS"

Darryl G
12-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Close Dr., GIS = Geographic Information System. It's basically a database that's tied to geographic coordinates. That's what I was talking about with the Tax Assessor's cards but didn't wanna get too techincal...a lotta dem deer aspahlt sealers ain't too good wit dem big wurds.

arninglawns
12-20-2011, 05:54 PM
We just use the local county appraisal district sites. I figure most homes are between 1700 and 2500 square feet for the first floor, so it doesn't make much sense to go to any more trouble than looking up the total lot size. I have used google earth to measure fences, though.

Efficiency
12-21-2011, 01:23 PM
yes, we do. Infact, we only visit job sites when a lead/client really pushes for it. We have two licenses to www.goilawn.com - one unlimited and one pay per transaction with a large number of prepaid searches. I keep two guys busy just measuring anything from a $35 lawn application to 6 figure maintenance accounts. I suppose there may be some margin of error in the measuring but our production rates are not concrete either so I figure it all comes out in the wash.

t608
12-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Can't you do this with service autopilot too?

arninglawns
12-21-2011, 07:32 PM
yes, we do. Infact, we only visit job sites when a lead/client really pushes for it. We have two licenses to www.goilawn.com - one unlimited and one pay per transaction with a large number of prepaid searches. I keep two guys busy just measuring anything from a $35 lawn application to 6 figure maintenance accounts. I suppose there may be some margin of error in the measuring but our production rates are not concrete either so I figure it all comes out in the wash.

I checked that out today. I will definitely start using it to bid sod and mulch jobs. Thanks for sharing, efficiency and willretire. I'm trying to get my company to the point of running itself, and that's going to be a big step in the right direction.

PROCUT1
12-21-2011, 10:13 PM
I use google earth. The measuring tool is almost dead on accurate. I tried it vs. using the wheel and I havent used a wheel in years now