PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Favorite Sch 40 PVC Cutter For Cutting Up To 1 1/4" ?

MEXANDME
12-15-2011, 01:02 PM
I have a Harvard M-42 that I have used for years but is about worn out.

I do not see them online anywhere. What is your favorite for this size pipe?

Thanks / Regards,

Mex

Wet_Boots
12-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Just about any common Ratchet cutter with a "42" on it is a copy of the Wheeler ratchet cutter. Item #5290 ~ it can also cut 1-1/2 poly, so it may handle 1-1/2 PVC

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-15-2011, 01:50 PM
try the MccUSA ratchet cutter. Contact me by pm and I'll send you a link.
http://www.mccusainc.com/Tools/PVC-Pipe-Cutters.htm
Gregg said he liked it better than his victor.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
12-15-2011, 01:52 PM
I used wheel cutters with the special pvc blade when using 1 1/4" on up. These days, if I was doing a lot of larger pipe stuff, I'd be looking into these:

ridgid.com/Tools/TC-40-Powered-Plastic-Pipe/EN/index

Wet_Boots
12-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Blades were cheaper for the Wheeler than for the Victor, and a very big plus was that all the springs and pins and pawls from the cheap knockoffs were capable of replacing original Wheeler parts.

koster_irrigation
12-15-2011, 02:20 PM
ive been a wheeler rex man since about day one.
ive tried a couple of brands with not much luck.

the cutter is about 70 dollars blades are about 30

springs break from time to time, we keep a good stock of parts for these things. we have about a dozen in use now.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=235309&stc=1&d=1323969481

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-15-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm just saying about the MccUSA (http://www.mccusainc.com/Tools/PVC-Pipe-Cutters.htm)

PVC PIPE CUTTERS

In 1979, the first original patent for PVC Pipe Cutter was patented in the US by MCC Corporation. We are the creator with the idea to cut the PVC pipe in a way of scissors when people was cutting by saw. Our concept through research and development completely changed the world's view the plumbing, irrigation, waterworks, mechanical, and any industries involving plastic pipes. The advantage of using a PVC Pipe Cutter allows for faster, cleaner, and less effort cuts. Manufacturing millions of cutter over the past 30 years, MCC is recognized as a top brand for PVC Pipe Cutters internationally.

Six BIG Features:
1. DuraBladeTM - VC-0363
New design blade with double bevel edge provides:
1) less pipe-cracking during cold temperatures (test proven),
2) more endurance and longer life span of the blade.
We take three processes when sharpening the blade during production. Many manufacturers simply take one or two steps in the production process. We believe by investing more on the cutter with DuraBladeTM design will potentially lessen the trouble at job sites in comparison in having a less expensive cutter that would require frequent blade changes.

2. Ergonomic Handle Design
Does your arm get tired cutting large quantity of PVC pipes a day? This negative side effect is caused by the handle design and leverage. MCC ED series are designed based on the human ergonomics and in maximizing the leverage in using less-effort by the user. This is the PVC Pipe cutter that you feel easier in cutting than any other cutters in the market. You definitely agree once you cut Sch 80.

3. Non Slip Ratchet Mechanism
MCC ED series has two components to ratchet the gear on its blade. The "Ratchet" which feeds the blade and the "Pawl" which keeps the blade in position. The Ratchet is well designed and avoids slipping from the gear. The Pawl helps in cutting soft flexible tubing by avoiding blade bounce-back.

4. Quick Release Blade Function
Particularly when cutting 2" pipe, one hand is required for the cutter and another hand is required for the pipe. After finishing the first cut, you would need to open the blade for the next cut. MCC ED series does not require using your both hand to release the blade because there is a feature that allows you one hand on releasing the blade to finishing a cut. This is done by pushing the bottom handle downwards completely in order to open the blade for the following cut. That way, you do not need to place your pipe on the ground to open the blade with your both hands.

5. Rust Free Spring Installed
MCC PVC Pipe Cutter's product design features a stainless steel spring installed to avoid rust damage. Many PVC Pipe Cutters in the market simply uses a high carbon steel spring with or without black oxide finish which eventually rust and breaks easily. Consequently ending up in a stressful repair or being disposed of. MCC provides the most reliable working condition at ANY job site condition.

6. Simple Blade Exchange
MCC fabricated a simple way a blade replacement. There are no tiny screws or parts to be loosened.
1) Remove spring hook from blade
2) Unscrew bolt
3) Replace blade
4) Secure bolt and push spring hook to the hole of blade

Wet_Boots
12-15-2011, 06:08 PM
the Wheeler ratchet cutter is like the Richdel R204 valve - it's the one that others copy

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Lets compare parts blow ups and see about that dude. I've got my parts break out available. Let me know when you are ready.

Also Wheeler copied the original patent holder who happens to be MccUSA Inc.

Wet_Boots
12-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Don't bother. I was a Wheeler user when they also carried the "Merry" name on the products (I'd post a photo of my 'original' PIP-13 cutters, but some rat bastard stole the plumbing kit they were in)

I bought some of the knockoffs about 20 years ago, and thought I was making out like the proverbial bandit, until I tried them, and they fell apart like a trick suit. I ended up saving the pins and springs and pawls (nautical term!) to serve as replacement parts. They all fit.

Once my suppliers walk away from a product line and leave me without parts (hello Victor VP-30) I tend to go conservative. Wheeler is the conservative choice for ratchet cutters.

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-15-2011, 06:21 PM
This isn't a knockoff. This is the one Wheeler copied. Wheeler is the knockoff.

irritation
12-15-2011, 06:22 PM
try the MccUSA ratchet cutter. Contact me by pm and I'll send you a link.
Gregg said he liked it better than his victor.

REP!

http://www.remotepigtails.com/products/vc-0342-1-1-4-ratchet-pipe-cutters

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Like that's news?

Wet_Boots
12-15-2011, 06:33 PM
It could be that Richdel didn't invent the diaphragm valve, but they are the one that the others copied - I don't care who invented anything - I care about constancy of support - The cutter sold by Wheeler will always be repairable, and there will always be replacement blades available from a variety of sources.

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Okay

BUT

MccUSA Inc has repair kits as well. The blades are made by former Samurais.

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-15-2011, 06:41 PM
On another product I really like the concept on these. The blade wheel has bearings so it tracks true. Also does the same size pipe but with a shorter body.

Price wise though its a tough sell. 1 1/4 is 43.85

Wet_Boots
12-15-2011, 06:44 PM
If the cutters are treated as disposable tools, I can see not going with Wheelers, which probably are more expensive than others. Ridge Tools makes one that might be as good.

I saw a Wheeler knockoff with the "Superior" name, which I know to be a better-than-crap line that hardware stores or home centers might stock. Odd thing about it though, was that the body of the tool was steel, making it way too heavy not to be fatiguing to use.

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-15-2011, 06:47 PM
I hacksawed my sch 40 anyway. You can buy a lot of hacksaw blades for 60.00.

Wet_Boots
12-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Old PVC, I saw - too many splits and fractures, even with a brandy-newy cutter blade

my RIDGID 150 tubing cutter was in the plumbing kit that disappeared - I replaced it with the absolute cheesiest wheel cutter in the importer catalog :p

Mike Leary
12-15-2011, 06:54 PM
I hacksawed my sch 40 anyway. You can buy a lot of hacksaw blades for 60.00.

Thus the term, "hack". Using a saw, manual or power, is asking for problems with filings getting into every orifice known to sprinklerdom. :hammerhead:

irritation
12-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Like that's news?

It is to me.:dizzy:

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Thus the term, "hack". Using a saw, manual or power, is asking for problems with filings getting into every orifice known to sprinklerdom. :hammerhead:

I had heavily callused fingers that whipped around the edge and broke all the filings loose and then deftly bowed the pipe and gave it two hand whacks that caused all the filings to empty out of the pipe.

Wet_Boots
12-15-2011, 07:32 PM
One nice thing about the Wheeler ratchet cutter, is that you can use it to prepare the pipe end and fitting for assembly, although I always used a Ridgid tool for that.

Mike Leary
12-15-2011, 08:08 PM
I had heavily callused fingers that whipped around the edge and broke all the filings loose and then deftly bowed the pipe and gave it two hand whacks that caused all the filings to empty out of the pipe.

Not when you're dealing with 20' sticks.

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-15-2011, 08:41 PM

All I dealt with was 20' sticks. You learn real fast how to clean filings out when you hacksaw. If some were hanging back in there and being stubborn I took my primer dauber and pulled them out. The important thing is to not have the piped angled in such a way that when you cut it the filings go too far in to shake out without blowing in the far end of the pipe.
Posted via Mobile Device

txirrigation
12-15-2011, 08:45 PM

We use pipe saws also, but I tell my guys to use the blade of a pipe cutter to ream the inside of the pipe. Then we make sure to blow the system out very well before installing the nozzles.

Mike Leary
12-15-2011, 08:45 PM
blowing in the far end of the pipe.

Henry told me you were one of the best.

AI Inc
12-16-2011, 08:51 AM
cordless sawzall

DanaMac
12-16-2011, 09:10 AM
I've been a saw guy myself. If I'm cutting 1" class 200 I will use my poly cutters.

ASI
12-16-2011, 11:19 PM
The best ratchet cutters I have used are the Kline tool # 50500.These cutters are very durable and last a very long time. The thing I like the most about the Kline cutters is that the ratchet works when cutting pipe very well and opens very easy when done. Most cheap ratchet cutters have issues cutting the pipe due to bad blades or ratchets. The Kline cutters are excellent for installs. The cutters are good for repairs but are a little wide and need more room to work.
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=235415&stc=1&d=1324089594

The problem with all cutters is the blade getting dull after some use. Using the Corona tool on your blade will insure long life to your cutters. These are sold in HD and Lowes for under $10.00 in the garden department.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=235416&stc=1&d=1324090151

1idejim
12-17-2011, 02:45 PM
The best ratchet cutters I have used are the Kline tool # 50500.These cutters are very durable and last a very long time. The thing I like the most about the Kline cutters is that the ratchet works when cutting pipe very well and opens very easy when done. Most cheap ratchet cutters have issues cutting the pipe due to bad blades or ratchets. The Kline cutters are excellent for installs. The cutters are good for repairs but are a little wide and need more room to work.
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=235415&stc=1&d=1324089594

The problem with all cutters is the blade getting dull after some use. Using the Corona tool on your blade will insure long life to your cutters. These are sold in HD and Lowes for under $10.00 in the garden department.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=235416&stc=1&d=1324090151

those klines are similar to the many pair of victors that i have and i also user a carbide sharpener (works great as a deburring tool too):)