PDA

View Full Version : Question for seeding

jay12
12-15-2011, 05:29 PM
I had to fix some damaged places in a lawn yesterday due to septic line replacement. I used a fescue blend with 8 percent rye. Im not sure what the soil temp is but weve had 3 days this week at 60 degrees and several days with 50s as well. Should the grass we sewed be safe to come up, or will I need to go back and put more seed down later. Any help would be appreciated.

RigglePLC
12-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Jay,
I think it is just a guess. I think nothing happens below 45 degrees soil temperature. I am doing some experiments by planting seed in November, December, January, February and March. I think you will have time in spring to plant grass again when the soil temp hits about 50--probably when air temp hits about 60.

Indoors I have some grass seed started on December 8th. We keep our house at 68. So far at 7 days, Scotts "High Traffic"(30 percent rye) is up with the tallest sprouts about 1 inch tall. Scotts "Heat Tolerant Blue" (mainly fescue) first sprouts appeared today--about a quarter inch tall.

Last year, when I planted seed on top of snow, first sprouts appeared on April 15.

Of course, you could have 'pre-germinated' the seed by soaking it in warm water for 72 hours, but you only gain about 24 hours advantage.

Smallaxe
12-15-2011, 09:25 PM
It would be interestting to know, that if seed germinates this close to winter; Will it survive to start growing in the Spring...

My problem here is; that if we get a dry fall, such as we've had the past 2 years, there seems to be plenty of death even with seed that germinated at the beginning of October and some even earlier...

The irrigation is generally shut off by October 1st...

I would say, keep an eye on it and overseed in the Spring if there are thin areas or no survival at all... be sure to hold off on the pre-m in this case... :)

jay12
12-16-2011, 09:44 AM
I will let you guys know how it turns out
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
12-16-2011, 10:57 AM
The score so far: I sowed Scotts "Classic" (30 % rye) in small pots outside in Michigan. Seed sown October 29 is a maximum of 1.5 inches tall at 48 days later. It looks Ok in spite of 2 inches of snow which later melted.
Seed sown November 7 is about .25 inches tall at the maximum. (38 days later). Temp today is 33. so get your seed in at least 38 days before snow.

RigglePLC
12-16-2011, 11:26 AM
More photos. Here is loose bare soil "honeycombed" due to a hard frost about December 5th, in Michigan. Second photo is same time but in a slightly protected location. Seed may germinate in spring--or maybe not. We will see.
Seed is Scotts "Classic". I also sowed some Scotts "Heat Tolerant Blue" (mainly tall fescue) for comparison.

Smallaxe
12-17-2011, 10:37 AM
If you get more freezing and thawing, you may get to watch the seed plant itself... Rain usually just moves the seed into the openings currently there from the Honeycomb effect... :)