PDA

View Full Version : Incentives

BPS##
12-16-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm looking forward to 2012 and trying to come up with an idea on how to encourage season longevity with employees.

Give me some ideas of what you've done successfully.

I'm thinking of giving between .50 and 1 bonus for every hour worked thru the season from April 1 to Oct 31.
And pay it on Nov 1.

Thanks for the ideas.

gardenkeeper88
12-16-2011, 05:18 PM
be careful that might be tricky on leagallity. Check with your accountant how to handle it. I also would work out a per day attendance bonus rather than hour. keep it fair for all.

BPS##
12-16-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure I follow why it wouldn't be legal.

I'm not with holding some of their pay until the end of the season.
A bonus is extra.

93Chevy
12-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Number one thing: Positive working environment!! Be fair, strict, and treat everybody with respect.

Additionally, what sort of benefits do you offer?

Health, dental, vision?

You could offer some paid time off after a probationary period (2 days after 6 months for example), then something like 7 days of PTO after one year, 14 days after 3 years, etc.

Season-end bonuses are also good, but you have to have set requirements for earning the bonuses. It's not fair whatsoever if one good employee who works 70 hours a week for you earns the same bonus as the slacker who calls off 2-3 times a month.

You have to ask yourself this question...What employees do you want? Do you want to replace employees every year, or do you want the responsible guy looking for a long term job to earn money for his family?

BPS##
12-16-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm a very small company.

Me and one employee.

Paying an hrly bonus at the end of the season is the most fair in my mind.
Even for a large company with lots of employees. One employee that puts in 70 hrs a week is naturally going to make a bigger bonus than the one that calls in sick regular.

For now there are no benefits. The guy I've got doesn't like working in a big corp environment. Its a good fit for him. His wife has good benefits at her job.

I like the idea of some paid time off.

93Chevy
12-16-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm a very small company.

Me and one employee.

Paying an hrly bonus at the end of the season is the most fair in my mind.
Even for a large company with lots of employees. One employee that puts in 70 hrs a week is naturally going to make a bigger bonus than the one that calls in sick regular.

For now there are no benefits. The guy I've got doesn't like working in a big corp environment. Its a good fit for him. His wife has good benefits at her job.

I like the idea of some paid time off.

Rewarding your employee with benefits shouldn't present a corporate environment. The only way he's affected is that he gets more incentive for doing the same work. Not trying to tell you what to do, but hardly any employees last long in a job with little structure. Structure does not mean corporate.

And I agree with the hourly-bonus. That's a great incentive, especially when the bonuses come it at times when the paychecks are smaller. (Summer bonus paid around Thanksgiving or snow-removal bonus paid around Easter)

You could also do a percentage of gross income for a bonus.

gardenkeeper88
12-17-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure I follow why it wouldn't be legal.

I'm not with holding some of their pay until the end of the season.
A bonus is extra.

I'm not saying it is. I'm saying double check on it. Make sure all the bases are covered. Can you give them a bonus ONLY if they work the whole season? IDK. do they have a leg to stand on demanding a bonus for working as hard as the person beside them but found a job 10 days before you were actually were done with them but if they didn't take the job they may not have a job through the winter and then unemployment wouldn't be enough. I've had a worker do this but still worked 3 seasons with me. Do I blame him for quitting 10 days earlier? heck no I would prob do the same thing. Do you give him the bonus? if you do here comes the fairness into play. JMO.