PDA

View Full Version : What do you do in the Winter?

Trucklover
12-16-2011, 01:44 PM
What are you guys doing this time of the year? As of now we have not had much of a snow fall so plowing is not a option just trying to get some ideas.
Guess im just getting restless :hammerhead:

THEGOLDPRO
12-16-2011, 01:46 PM
If it doesn't snow i go to the gym, play Playstation, and sleep alot.

Trucklover
12-16-2011, 01:47 PM
If it doesn't snow i go to the gym, play Playstation, and sleep alot.

Ive been hitting up the gym :weightlifter: but theres still alot of hours let in the day wasted

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
12-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Pray for snow.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
12-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Plow, work on business plan, marketing plan etc. etc.

beachtownlawnservice
12-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Hunt&Fish..

FoghornLeghorn
12-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Wait for people to walk across my yard while they're walking their dogs so I can turn on my irrigation and get them soaking wet and cold.

KrayzKajun
12-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Whts winter?
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
12-16-2011, 06:43 PM
if it's not snowing i pray for snow, play xbox and sleep.

mbigred
12-16-2011, 06:47 PM
I got a full time job and mow part time*trucewhiteflag*

Patriot Services
12-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Whts winter?
Posted via Mobile Device

Must be a Ohio thing?
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
12-16-2011, 08:34 PM
We do a lot of erosion control and new-site construction which is a year-round thing. Add snow removal on top of that, we're still pretty busy, although with less guys than in the summer season.

David Haggerty
12-17-2011, 07:12 AM
Southwest Ohio averages two plowable snows per winter. Not enough money there to even pay for the snow equipment.
So I go to Florida and get into shape for the next season. I tried gym memberships but it wasn't working for me. I'd still get winter depression every year. Eat too much.
Yesterday I paddled my kayak 5 miles out in Pine Island Sound to a little island. Today I'll bicycle 40 miles or so around the bike trails. 80* puffy clouds...life's good.

I ain't living my life planning for "someday".
Life is what happens to you while you're planning for the future.

http://s243.photobucket.com/profile/thecampingman

hackitdown
12-17-2011, 10:16 AM
I take it pretty easy. I coach the local high school ski racing team, which pays a tiny stipend. And I ski a lot for fun to keep busy on weekends. I plow 35 driveways if it snows. I do some interior painting if I run into the work. My wife keeps me busy with parenting and homemaker duties since she works full time. I heat my house with wood, so I am filling the stove every few hours, stacking, splitting, etc. And I have some easy goals that I need to reach in the next couple of weeks:
-Do a thorough inventory for insurance purposes.
-Marketing for next year.
-Tax crap.
-Clean my office.
-Clean and repair all my equipment and trucks.
-Clear and maybe excavate a small part of my property for a future shed/barn.

Who knows what else...

hackitdown
12-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Yesterday I paddled my kayak 5 miles out in Pine Island Sound to a little island. Today I'll bicycle 40 miles or so around the bike trails. 80* puffy clouds...life's good.
http://s243.photobucket.com/profile/thecampingman

My dad lives on Pine Island...St James City. Incredible place for kayaking or boating. He takes us out to North Captiva for a day at the beach.

Turf Commando
12-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Besides plowing, which isn't in demand at current moment.. Getting ready to take Turf Tracers apart and sand some rust and repaint thats about it..

cpllawncare
12-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Help a buddy sell roof jobs! he's a great salesman and is teaching me a lot about selling, which in turn helps me with my business.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-18-2011, 01:42 AM
I take it pretty easy. I coach the local high school ski racing team, which pays a tiny stipend. And I ski a lot for fun to keep busy on weekends. I plow 35 driveways if it snows. I do some interior painting if I run into the work. My wife keeps me busy with parenting and homemaker duties since she works full time. I heat my house with wood, so I am filling the stove every few hours, stacking, splitting, etc. And I have some easy goals that I need to reach in the next couple of weeks:
-Do a thorough inventory for insurance purposes.
-Marketing for next year.
-Tax crap.
-Clean my office.
-Clean and repair all my equipment and trucks.
-Clear and maybe excavate a small part of my property for a future shed/barn.

Who knows what else...

What is your favorite decent place to ski within driving distance? I've met a lot of people from MA at Sunday River and Surgarloaf. I know Killington is popular as well but I've never been there.

hackitdown
12-18-2011, 10:48 AM
What is your favorite decent place to ski within driving distance? I've met a lot of people from MA at Sunday River and Surgarloaf. I know Killington is popular as well but I've never been there.

We go to Sugarbush/Mad River Glen in VT. We have a condo there, so we are committed to the place. It is a 2.5 hour drive, not too bad. Killington is bigger and slightly closer, but it gets very, very crowded. We used to go to Sunapee in NH, it is only 1.5 hours drive, and it is pretty good skiing, but also crowded. But Killington and Sunapee are great for mid-week trips.

Albemarle Lawn
12-18-2011, 12:47 PM
We rent space in a strip mall for discount dental, or help out at the hospital with open heart surgeries.

We also help a local physics lab with advanced statistical modeling for gamma blookle ray reasearch,

PlantscapeSolutions
12-18-2011, 03:33 PM
We go to Sugarbush/Mad River Glen in VT. We have a condo there, so we are committed to the place. It is a 2.5 hour drive, not too bad. Killington is bigger and slightly closer, but it gets very, very crowded. We used to go to Sunapee in NH, it is only 1.5 hours drive, and it is pretty good skiing, but also crowded. But Killington and Sunapee are great for mid-week trips.

I grew up in Augusta, ME so I could be at Surgarloaf, Sunday River, Saddleback, or Mount Abram in only an hour. Now I'm in Texas and nothing is close.

Country Club Lawnscapes
12-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Northerners are so lucky not only do they get to make money plowing but they get some of the best sking and snowboarding in the country. Down here the closest place that's worth a damn is snowshoe,wv

floriolandscape
12-18-2011, 04:05 PM
not much snow so far in this area, other then plowing i use the winter to focus on building the business and equipment maintenance.

hackitdown
12-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Northerners are so lucky not only do they get to make money plowing but they get some of the best sking and snowboarding in the country. Down here the closest place that's worth a damn is snowshoe,wv

That is what airplanes are for!

Swampy
12-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Get a hobby, read lawnsite, work on college, maintain equipment, work on business/marketing plans, read books, build something so I don't have to buy something, watch my girlfriends cat run around like it just smoked a big fat bag of crack, drink beer, conquer Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3, clean the entire place, take down christmas decorations, figure out how to make better samwich's, work on my army PT scores, go shooting assualt rifles, do a military required school, replace light bulbs, drink coffee, and much much more......... day by day I slowly lose my sanity. I would say just plow snow but as I look outside I see green lawn.

We rent space in a strip mall for discount dental, or help out at the hospital with open heart surgeries.

We also help a local physics lab with advanced statistical modeling for gamma blookle ray reasearch,

Are you the most interesting man in the world?

Ijustwantausername
12-21-2011, 12:21 PM
-Try to avoid gaining weight, and laugh at my failed attempt
-Jog and work out
-Eat
-Drink coffee
-Try to figure out how to make more money
-Do a job for a customer then recover from muscle/joint soreness due to increased sedentary lifestyle in winter
-Read lawnsite
-Sell scrap metal

ringahding
12-21-2011, 01:18 PM
First: pray for SNOW! Cmon snow where are you?
Second: Build websites (http://www.wordpress-websitebuild.com) for businesses
Third:Watch a lot of football and basketball

5speedpsd
12-21-2011, 01:39 PM
I go stir crazy pretty quick if I don't have things to do so I've got a few things I usually do. Being that I do excavation I can still work some during the winter.
-Maintain Equipment (I Think the bed on my dump and my trailer have been painted every year since I've had them.)
-Organize the trucks
-Organize shop
-Bid Jobs
-Buy a couple houses to fix up and sell
- go shooting
-split wood
- Mix sand/salt to sell
- Usually think of some idea to build
- hang out with all my buddies that are layed off.

Mowingkid35
12-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Lift and Run
Spend Time with woman
Maintenence equipment
Get projects done since there is no snow on the ground
Spend way to much money :hammerhead:
Drink some beer :drinkup:
Pray to god for some snow

wecutlawns
12-21-2011, 03:54 PM
we mow all year . This winter my goals are to have #4 64' semi trailers setup to store equipment in . To build a 32'x32' building for a new office. But first i have to get caught up with work. It never snows here and I have a singe stage thower that wont run to prove it so I am living on $1700 a month in payments and what ever I can do between the rains for the rest of the year. Hurry up February 15th I need real work

bobcat48
12-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Plowing with salting.

chrisvinky
12-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Network Marketing. I'm building a team now where I should be able to transfer over to full time by the time summer hits. I LOVE IT...I never sweat and the hardest I work is talking! :clapping:

KS_Grasscutter
12-22-2011, 07:40 PM
So far I have been just sitting around being a lazy bum alcoholic. Bought a new file cabinet yesterday so I had to make a spot in the office, and move stuff over. Today I went to Walmart and got a poster frame to put a bunch of old lawn mower adds in to hang in the office (turned out real neat!). Tomorrow I will finish cleaning up the office I guess.

I have came to the conclusion that if I can do ONE project a day, plus go to the gym with the girl friend every other morning or so, I will probably be able to really avoid the standard winter depression to a point. Also get together with a friend or two most nights during the week while the girl friend is at work, usually we end up just watching tv or drinking beer in the shop because there is N-O-T-H-I-N-G to do in this frickin town (you can ask anyone else who lives here, I'm not lying).

I NEED to find a way to make some money... My problem with Winter is that I spend copious amounts of money just out of boredom. I never have enough as I probably should, and that was even worse this year after the driest summer that I ever recall.

CrimsonMaintenance
12-25-2011, 09:43 PM
So far this winter we are still cutting grass and killing weeds.

weeze
12-26-2011, 12:28 AM
wow you're still mowing? lol....i got done at the end of october...did a few leaf jobs in november and december....the grass hasn't grown any since the end of october though...all i've been doing the past 2 weeks is going to christmas parties i think lol...and the next week new years parties lol...family get togethers and what not...it's really nice to not have to work at this time of year....just think of all those people out there working all day then rushing to get all of their shopping done for christmas and so forth.....it's nice to just be able to relax and enjoy this time of year without the hassle lol.

jackal
12-26-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm fishing in the Keys this week.

CrimsonMaintenance
12-26-2011, 09:07 AM
wow you're still mowing? lol....i got done at the end of october...did a few leaf jobs in november and december....the grass hasn't grown any since the end of october though...all i've been doing the past 2 weeks is going to christmas parties i think lol...and the next week new years parties lol...family get togethers and what not...it's really nice to not have to work at this time of year....just think of all those people out there working all day then rushing to get all of their shopping done for christmas and so forth.....it's nice to just be able to relax and enjoy this time of year without the hassle lol.

We went thru most of the leaves in November and still have some now but we are still getting some growth especially weeds and onions. We do mostly commercial work so it has to be maintained no matter what.

Swampy
12-26-2011, 09:54 AM
So far this winter we are still cutting grass and killing weeds.

Luckly. Thinking of selling my plow, and find something to drum up some business. Bad thing in WI is everyone is still in winter mood.:(

CrimsonMaintenance
12-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Luckly. Thinking of selling my plow, and find something to drum up some business. Bad thing in WI is everyone is still in winter mood.:(

Hard to get winter mood here when its 65 degrees and humid. I am tired of the rain though.

Swampy
12-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Hard to get winter mood here when its 65 degrees and humid. I am tired of the rain though.

Trade you? You can take my 45 degrees, and dry.

CrimsonMaintenance
12-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Is Pewaukee anywhere near Manitowoc?

fastlane
12-26-2011, 12:47 PM
I instruct truck drivers how to properly load and unload trucks, customer relations, ect. They have their CDL when they apply for job. I drive 1 or 2 days a week if I feel like it. Most trucking companies are busier the 6 months of the year opposite my mowing season. Works perfect for me.

TJC Lawn-Care
12-26-2011, 02:23 PM
looking for mowers and summer equipment, auctions, HOCKEY!

Trucklover
12-26-2011, 04:43 PM
I just picked up a new to me trailer today ! 6x16!!!

Swampy
12-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Is Pewaukee anywhere near Manitowoc?

It's about 1hr to 1.5hr away. I'm about 20miles west from Milwaukee.

KPZ Enterprises
12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
go around knocking on doors to the people that owe me $$$!!! n see the surprise on there face for y im there. LOL.... and pray for snow or treework.

Country Club Lawnscapes
12-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Drink beers workout gun girls tree work Snowboard spend my money I made go out to the bars get in bar fights gun more girls!!!!