PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a cordless hedge trimmer?

Keith
12-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Once you quit laughing, I'm serious. Does anyone use a cordless hedge trimmer for weekly touch ups on small hedges? I'm not talking about dropping them in a viburnum, just fresh, tender growth in things like azaleas and loropetalum.

I've got a lawn that the owner does all the small hedges himself. He broke out a Ryobi cordless last week while I was mowing. I stopped and asked if I could check it out. The thing was feather light. It got me to thinking, it might be perfect for touching up small hedges. Even if it lasted a year, it seems like it would be great for those hot summer days when the last thing you want to do is break out a 12 lb hedge trimmer just to do a touch up.

Landscape Poet
12-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Not sure about that but I am interested in responses as what others think and are using. The thing I had most are eugenia topiary - they seem to consistently need touched up every visit to every other visit on some properties. Anyone have solutions to help ease the pain of trimming them and other smaller/softer landscape plants like them with out using the felcos or hedge shears?

jvanvliet
12-17-2011, 07:33 AM
I use a cordless; Shindaiwa BR802. Fill the sucker up with gas, pull the string & away it goes.

billslawn89
12-17-2011, 06:21 PM
I use a cordless; Shindaiwa BR802. Fill the sucker up with gas, pull the string & away it goes.

haha! ya! you are right! it is cordless and i guess we all use cordless, gas powered cordless. i've been using stihl and they are getting heavier each year. time for something lighter.

Eric E
12-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Anyone have solutions to help ease the pain of trimming them and other smaller/softer landscape plants like them with out using the felcos or hedge shears?

Try some PGR's

Darryl G
12-17-2011, 07:19 PM
I've got a cordless Black & Decker and love it, so I'm not laughing. I keep it in my toolbox. I picked it up at the B & D outlet remanufactured. I have a small power inverter I keep in my truck so I can recharge it. It's not only good for touching up small shrubs, it's good for when you have to climb between a house and the shrubbery or do a one handed reach. I often use it for touch ups after using the gas fired units. I get about 45 minutes of use per charge.

Now the down side...being a homeowner B & D unit, it doesn't give the greatest cut. It will shred the stems on some of the finer hedges/shrubs and the gearbox is starting to not sound very good. I looked into getting a second battery for it and it would have cost almost as much as the unit did.

But for doing a couple of little Barberries or Boxwoods or Euonymus or something, it's really handy and I wouldn't want to be without it...nice to be able to just stuff it in my toolbox and have it handy. I usually only bring my gas-fired units if I know I'm doing hedge/shrub jobs for the day.

ArenaLandscaping
12-17-2011, 07:42 PM
This would be a good choice for professional use- http://www.stihlusa.com/hedgetrimmers/hsa65.html

Darryl G
12-17-2011, 08:02 PM
That Stihl looks pretty nice but I bet it's more that the $50 I paid for mine. Here's the video for it...their site link is wrong. http://www.youtube.com/stihlusa#p/search/0/yhjrOz6jzUM

Keith
12-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks, but the price of the Stihl is more than I want to invest. The weight of it is a deal killer. I have Tanaka that is lighter than the weight they show for the Stihl.

Darryl G
12-17-2011, 11:27 PM
This is the unit I have...the B & D Hedge Hog - the thumb safety switch is a little bit of a pain too but you get used to not releasing the trigger enough to re-engage it. Not a bad little unit really. I googled it and came up with this link to it on the Sears website which has a few reviews of it. http://www.mysears.com/Black-Decker-Hedge-Hog-Trimmer-reviews?tab=reviews

Just so it's clear, I am not recommending this thing as a primary hedge trimmer for a pro landscaper, but to supplement your gas-fired units, it's nice to have for light duty trimming.

Keith
12-18-2011, 12:13 AM
I've always thought Little Wonder would eventually have one since they are so heavy into the electric market.

Landscape Poet
12-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Try some PGR's

I have not tried these yet. Something about them scares me;) How healthy can it be to stunt the growth of a plant on purpose?

Keith
12-18-2011, 10:46 AM
I use Cutless on some stuff. I've noticed it works better on some things than others. It worked really well on viburnum.

Tri-City Outdoors
12-18-2011, 11:41 AM
I have not tried these yet. Something about them scares me;) How healthy can it be to stunt the growth of a plant on purpose?

Used correctly, PGR's can save you a lot of time during the peak of the season. We use a combination of cutless, atrimic, and embark. It take some time testing to see what works best.
Start using them in the spring. we only trim about every 4 weeks, maybe 6 or 8 sometimes.

After about a year of using them. The plant become very compact. If you use to much the plant can turn brown and defoliate. As far as health goes. If you quit using them. The plant will have a lot of full growth and seems very healthy.

Overall it saves you fert. and you can lower the amount of irrigation. When you do trim there is less debris. The time you save you can move on to the next job. To us this is the biggest benefit.

We do not use a battery trimmer. however we do use a manual hedge trimmer for touch ups.

shepoutside
12-19-2011, 09:29 AM
We use a battery trimmer, B&D 18 volt, as well as manual hedge trimmer for touch ups, and small hedge jobs. Battery life is great, and we have a few batteries, as it's the same as all the other cordless tools we have in the shop. Not very often we use the gas trimmer to be honest.