PDA

View Full Version : How's your winter so far?

Florida Gardener
12-16-2011, 10:08 PM
What's going on with everyone?
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
12-16-2011, 11:11 PM
What's going on with everyone?
Posted via Mobile Device

Winter is good so far for me, how about you? I just finished up a on week and am now off for the week and enjoying life. This winter is flying by way too fast and I am still waiting on a freeze ;) that does not seem like it is going to come this year, I am hoping that January proves me wrong.

Florida Gardener
12-16-2011, 11:23 PM
Winter is good so far for me, how about you? I just finished up a on week and am now off for the week and enjoying life. This winter is flying by way too fast and I am still waiting on a freeze ;) that does not seem like it is going to come this year, I am hoping that January proves me wrong.

I'm good too, thanks. Been doing extra stuff and actually picking up new biz. I agree, it is going by too quick. I want cold weather too. I do remember 2 winters ago it was warm up until Christmas and then bam, freezes in January and a looong winter. Maybe same will happen this winter??
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
12-16-2011, 11:27 PM
I'm good too, thanks. Been doing extra stuff and actually picking up new biz. I agree, it is going by too quick. I want cold weather too. I do remember 2 winters ago it was warm up until Christmas and then bam, freezes in January and a looong winter. Maybe same will happen this winter??
Posted via Mobile Device

I am hoping so at this point, but a late November Freeze like last year sure would of been appreciated, I guess it is has been good as there has been plenty of extra work if we wanted it this year because people are still concerned about their landscape, which has not been true in my opinion when the freeze hits, at that point everything kind of becomes a waiting game to see what is going to come out of it.

In a way a winter without a freeze would be good too - the plants and turf took a beating the last two years.

Florida Gardener
12-16-2011, 11:38 PM
I am hoping so at this point, but a late November Freeze like last year sure would of been appreciated, I guess it is has been good as there has been plenty of extra work if we wanted it this year because people are still concerned about their landscape, which has not been true in my opinion when the freeze hits, at that point everything kind of becomes a waiting game to see what is going to come out of it.

In a way a winter without a freeze would be good too - the plants and turf took a beating the last two years.

I agree, I have plenty of coconuts that went through he'll the last 2 winters, so no freezes will def help out. At the end of the day, plants have slowed down in growth as well as weeds, so we are getting a break. But, it was so nice pulling up to accounts on the second week and just blowing things off.
Posted via Mobile Device

yamadooski
12-17-2011, 06:27 AM
Sure is funny how the two of you kinda of contradict each of your previous statements. You want a freeze and then you dont want a freeze.
I start my 20th year doing this, this upcoming August and have been through all of this before.
You dont want anymore freezes this year. You customers will start getting smarter on saving money and start cancelling service after Christmas.
People are putting in palmetto SA grass, zoysia, and bermuda. Which all grow less than Floratam.

unkownfl
12-17-2011, 09:13 AM
I don't know about you guys but I've tore out three Zoysia lawns this week a total of 7000 sqft because customers just don't like it compared to nice thick green SA. I'm replacing them with bitter blue because there is lightly shaded areas and its almost the same price as Floratam. It also does better in the winter IMO. I really wish it would freeze seems like grass is growing like crazy still on some accounts I've had to do them on 10 day cycles. Then again I just laid down a bunch of annual rye in my yard and one customers Bermuda lawn so I hope it stays warm for another 10 days or so lol...

Florida Gardener
12-17-2011, 09:18 AM
I don't know about you guys but I've tore out three Zoysia lawns this week a total of 7000 sqft because customers just don't like it compared to nice thick green SA. I'm replacing them with bitter blue because there is lightly shaded areas and its almost the same price as Floratam. It also does better in the winter IMO. I really wish it would freeze seems like grass is growing like crazy still on some accounts I've had to do them on 10 day cycles. Then again I just laid down a bunch of annual rye in my yard and one customers Bermuda lawn so I hope it stays warm for another 10 days or so lol...

Zoysia isn't really intended to be cut high like St Augustine. It looks best cut short with a reel. I wouldn't recommend people go from zoysia to St Aug bc you can kill every weed in zoysia and it becomes denser IMO vs St Aug.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
12-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Zoysia isn't really intended to be cut high like St Augustine. It looks best cut short with a reel. I wouldn't recommend people go from zoysia to St Aug bc you can kill every weed in zoysia and it becomes denser IMO vs St Aug.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not really my opinion on the situation its what they want. Yards are small at about 2k average so they can switch for about $1200 bucks a piece with new mulch and irrigation system adjustment. I personally have always had Bermuda lawns and like them besides my house in SWFL which was SA.

stickleylawncare
12-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Anytime I ask myself what the heck Im doing this for in July and August... the answer is Dec - March. Its been in the 70s all week, can finally enjoy the weather and not mow all day. They only thing Im not looking forward to are all the oaks dropping their leaves.

Florida Gardener
12-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Anytime I ask myself what the heck Im doing this for in July and August... the answer is Dec - March. Its been in the 70s all week, can finally enjoy the weather and not mow all day. They only thing Im not looking forward to are all the oaks dropping their leaves.

Haha I hear ya on the oaks....still beats 95 and 80% humidity!
Posted via Mobile Device

justanotherlawnguy
12-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Still balls to the wall. I'm over working til dark everyday now (I guess it never really stopped)!! Oh well too much work is a good problem to have. Feels more like the end of June, rather then the end of December!
Still running hard 5 days a week with the occasional Saturday vs every Saturday..
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
12-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Still balls to the wall. I'm over working til dark everyday now (I guess it never really stopped)!! Oh well too much work is a good problem to have. Feels more like the end of June, rather then the end of December!
Still running hard 5 days a week with the occasional Saturday vs every Saturday..
Posted via Mobile Device

Extra work? New accounts? I have been oddly enough picking up quality accounts and extra jobs from customers. More work is better than not enough. Just wish it was cooler. 81 and humid today.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
12-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Florida is so extreme. One year the 20's already this year barely cracked into the 40's

jvanvliet
12-24-2011, 06:13 AM
Most of our HO's live in association controlled developments that specify Floratam as the approved turf grass. The HOA's and CO's also have Floratam. We have none yet with any of the other non S/A ground covers mentioned.

On average, temperatures have remained in the high upper 70's to upper 80's (with an occasional dip to the upper 60's) along with some intermittent rain. We've seen some abatement in ornamental growth and little abatement in Floratam growth. Weeds continue to be an issue, particularly Dollar, White Clover (even though the water is cut back) Florida Pusley, Garlic and Sedge.

@15 days, the lawns look like they do after a summer week. We may have to send out a crew after Christmas to make sure the premium accounts are manicured before new years.

Could use seasonal temperatures into the 40"s, I'll pass on the freeze.

Florida Gardener
12-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Most of our HO's live in association controlled developments that specify Floratam as the approved turf grass. The HOA's and CO's also have Floratam. We have none yet with any of the other non S/A ground covers mentioned.

On average, temperatures have remained in the high upper 70's to upper 80's (with an occasional dip to the upper 60's) along with some intermittent rain. We've seen some abatement in ornamental growth and little abatement in Floratam growth. Weeds continue to be an issue, particularly Dollar, White Clover (even though the water is cut back) Florida Pusley, Garlic and Sedge.

@15 days, the lawns look like they do after a summer week. We may have to send out a crew after Christmas to make sure the premium accounts are manicured before new years.

Could use seasonal temperatures into the 40"s, I'll pass on the freeze.
I'm with ya. In the beginning of winter I wanted a dew freezes, but then remembered all the plant cleanup, leaf drop, palm damage and thought mid-low 40s would be plenty. Just so these darn plants really slow in growth. I'm still doing most stuff every 2-3 weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fencek
01-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Just had our first freez this week. Grass is now turning brown. (

Keith
01-12-2012, 01:54 AM
Finally got a break. Got a lot of my extra work caught up early last week. All cuts are a minimum of two weeks now. Kind of feels weird not going out for days at a time and knowing it doesn't matter. I have to think every day and make sure I didn't forget to do something.

jvanvliet
01-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Winter is about to get colder if the weather vageniuses got it right this time. Got a lot of noise about storms mid week & had none here; now we are getting warnings about a cold snap and to prepare for the possibility of hypothermia; We'll see.

Huge leave cleanups on our last rounds this week. Maybe I ought to think about putting a vacuum/bager on the mowers.

GreenT
01-13-2012, 08:42 AM

Since the cold snap, the live oaks around here have started dropping crazy. I can blow my whole driveway and, literally within an hour, several feet of leaves accumulate.... :rolleyes:

Keith
01-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I see a lot of yellowing of the leaves on a lot of oaks this week. The drop should start in 3...2...1.

LGL
01-15-2012, 01:39 PM
I have multiple accounts dropping oak leaves as well. Did a big clean up job last week and secured the account to a yearly contract. (87 bags!!!) So strange, I have picked up 3 new yearly accounts recently.

Florida Gardener
01-15-2012, 02:09 PM
I have multiple accounts dropping oak leaves as well. Did a big clean up job last week and secured the account to a yearly contract. (87 bags!!!) So strange, I have picked up 3 new yearly accounts recently.

the 87 bags, is that a commercial property?

We will see the oak leaves drop heavy in about 2 weeks or so. Ours is a little behind you guys in C and N Florida.

LGL
01-15-2012, 05:34 PM
No, its a good sized residential corner property, they hadn't had a clean up for a couple of years. The prior contractor was blowing the leaves into the beds. I do have a small commercial property with 4 Oak trees that have been dropping thousands of acorns for two months or so, finally this week started to slack up. Spending more time per visit now than in the summer!

jvanvliet
01-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Got to love the guys that blow the leaves behind and underneath the shrubs... amateurs!

Keith
01-15-2012, 06:55 PM
For me the one lawn with the biggest leaf mess to clean up has an interesting solution. Their back yard has no grass and she wants the leaves back there along the paths that meander through the place. You simply rake them up and move them back there. They actually want all the leaves they can get, so I take them more from other jobs.

Landscape Poet
01-24-2012, 07:20 AM
OK, this morning I am in that pure winter funk. I really do not want to get out that door and go. It should be in the upper 70's to low 80's today...so that is good....just got to shake this funk.

Patriot Services
01-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Got to love the guys that blow the leaves behind and underneath the shrubs... amateurs!

You mean this isn't an organic mulch/shrub fert alternative?
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
01-24-2012, 08:08 AM
It is for some accounts :p

Keith
01-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Hmmmm, looks like the five days of winter are over.

Bets on a long, hot summer?
Posted via Mobile Device

billslawn89
01-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Hmmmm, looks like the five days of winter are over.

Bets on a long, hot summer?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ya, I was thinking the same thing!

The lawns around my area are brown from the frost and only thing I have been doing this week is cleaning leaves. I actually started sweating. Last time I mowed was first week of January, and it doesn't look like I will be doing that any time soon either. Raking and blowing leaves, thats it.

GreenT
01-24-2012, 02:14 PM

As La Nina fades out, El Nino begins to take over in 2012 (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/media/mlb/pdfs/Florida_Dry_Season_Forecast.pdf). Slightly above temperatures starting in late spring and below mean precipitation.

Summer?.... I wouldn't bet against a hot one, Keith. :)