PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice on an Truck purchase

ReddensLawnCare
12-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Ok Guys,
So here is my issue. I have outgrown my 1/2 ton chevy this year as I have gotten into more landscaping/hardscaping plus more general Maintenance. I am currently solo for the most part with one part time employee earning around a 5 grand a season. In the next couple of years, I want to make the transition from working in my company to working on my business, but for now, its all me for the most part.

My considerations on a truck are either getting a Chevy 2500 around 2005 or newer, or a 3500 with a dump bed for materials, leaves, and then tree/shrub trimmings. I currently have a 12' trailer with 4' sides that I will fill with debris, but it is only a single axle so there is only so much material it can carry.

If I get a 3/4 ton, I will have to get a dump trailer to carry with me as well, but I cant load it with my equipment and materials at the same time.

If I get a one ton, with a dump, the problem from above is eliminated, but then I am looking at higher operating costs, as well as higher initial costs.

Whatever I get, it will need to have less than 100k miles on it. So here are the pros and cons of each:

3/4 Ton: Pros
Better fuel economy, smaller and easier to get around (maybe), more cost efficient off the bat, cheaper operation

CONS:
Have to purchase a dump trailer, have to make second trips to go get leaves and debris after I do the work with my equipment, Limited on amount of material I can pick up at one time, cant pull quite as much

1 Ton: Pros
Can carry more material, Can put leaf box on dump and pick up materials, debris, trimmings, all at once. Ability to diversify my services with having dump bed

CONS:
Cost of ownership, Driveability, initial costs, Buying used means chances of thing already being worn out, namely the dump pump, extra fees associated with one ton

I know this is a long post, but any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Alpha Property
12-16-2011, 11:02 PM
I love my 3/4 ton with a truck craft aluminum dump box, For a mowing crew or just solo small stuff, this is the way to go. Your truck still looks like a truck, and you can have your dump and still pull a trailer

ReddensLawnCare
12-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Thats an option, I am assuming you have a 8 foot bed?

grasscutter24
12-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Go with the 3500 and you will not regret it. Your better off biting the bullet in the beginning and pay a little extra. It will pay itself off for.

chesterlawn
12-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Go with the 1 ton with a dump bed. It seems like you are concerned with the size of it, after you drive it a day or two that will go away. As for hauling materials, it is so much easier on a stake body than on a trailer, one reason no trailer is needed. Say you have a job and you need materials and alot of equipment, in one trip you have it all with a stake truck and your trailer for the equipment. As for you wear on a dump pump, between me and my friends in the buisness, I have never seen one go bad. Also used stake body trucks are not that expensive to buy and maintain.

32vld
12-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Don't confuse want and need.

I would love to have a 8' bed pu with a truck craft insert with optional leaf box.

Thing is how tight is money?

Seems very tight so if you feel the engine is good, tires, etc, I would get a used trans if you can do the swap yourself.

If not then go for a rebuild.

You made it through last season and can most likely continue for next season until you can afford to upgrade.

Remember up grading to a bigger open trailer would allow you to carry more with less money then buying a truck. Be creative and you will find a way.