PDA

View Full Version : There's one in every crowd

Waterit
12-17-2011, 01:56 AM
Normally we have the pump and well in our contract. This time, the HO had a buddy who put the well in for him, we just had the pump.

Well is offset from pump about 18", no big deal. Pop 2 90's on, then check valve, pipe it into 1HP Versajet horizontal jet pump. Prime pump, leaving hose attached to faucet at T on outlet side of pump. All standard procedure. Run pump for 45 minutes, will not prime.

Have another pump brought out on the theory that 1st pump may have been bad. Get it piped and wired in, hook up hose, this time same story after an hour of running. Inform builder of situation and continue to work on installing system.

Builder calls: "HO just sent me a text, wants to know if check valve is on?"
Me: "Yes, I installed a check valve."
"But is it on?"
"Yes, I put on one."
"Are you sure it's turned on?"
"Uh, it's a check valve, you can't turn them on or off."
"Are you sure?"

jsslawncare
12-17-2011, 05:59 AM
I'm a grass cutter and I think that's pertty funny.

jvanvliet
12-17-2011, 07:45 AM
:cool: Does he know it needs an electrician to wire it into an afci protected circuit?

greenmonster304
12-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Stuttering Stan
12-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Don't argue with the builder- YES, it's turned on.

txirrigation
12-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Normally we have the pump and well in our contract. This time, the HO had a buddy who put the well in for him, we just had the pump.

Well is offset from pump about 18", no big deal. Pop 2 90's on, then check valve, pipe it into 1HP Versajet horizontal jet pump. Prime pump, leaving hose attached to faucet at T on outlet side of pump. All standard procedure. Run pump for 45 minutes, will not prime.

Have another pump brought out on the theory that 1st pump may have been bad. Get it piped and wired in, hook up hose, this time same story after an hour of running. Inform builder of situation and continue to work on installing system.

Builder calls: "HO just sent me a text, wants to know if check valve is on?"
Me: "Yes, I installed a check valve."
"But is it on?"
"Yes, I put on one."
"Are you sure it's turned on?"
"Uh, it's a check valve, you can't turn them on or off."
"Are you sure?"

haha that is pretty good. I had a job once where the H/O wanted us to dig the trenches, and let him install the pipe. Then when he was done we came back to back fill. It was Jan, we were slow, so I let my guys do it. What I lost in money was made up for in laughs... wish I had a video when the H/O tried to turn the system on.

3 backward valves, ran a common to each valve separately then tried to put them all in the one slot on the controller. What's a backflow valve??? I needed a permit???

I helped him fix everything and get the paperwork right with the city. I got 4 jobs out of referrals for it, so in the long run I made some good coin.