PDA

View Full Version : Re-phrasing a question...

A1 Grass
11-20-2002, 05:10 PM
Since my last posting about herbicides vs. "natural remedies" has taken a turn for the worse I'll re-phrase and ask a simple question:

Does anyone use any "natural" or "home-remedy" type mixtures for weed control as opposed to say "Roundup"?

1grnlwn
11-20-2002, 07:36 PM
You are just digging another hole. Roundup is a non-selective herbicide. This means that it kills everything. It should not be used to kill weeds in a lawn. A selective herb. (kills weeds only) would be used. Answer to your question is no there really isn't. Thick, properly cut turf will resist weeds the best.

Mark

Runner
11-20-2002, 08:04 PM
Try a search using the term "vinegar".

Bob Minney
11-20-2002, 09:09 PM
Here is a thread on organic weed control programs
http://207.44.158.62/~admin2/showthread.php?threadid=24649&highlight=organic+fertilizer

greenman
11-20-2002, 09:50 PM
There is an article about 'vinegar used as a herbicide' in the November issue of Turf magazine.

f350
11-20-2002, 11:14 PM
back to square one... you need a license to control any and all pest.. home remedy's are against the law, they need an epa number... vinegar, is against the law, the matter in which it is used, is not consistant with the label.. if you really want to learn it just work under another company or take the purdue courses.. oh and i'm not angry because it's low money time ( far from it )
i'm angry because the same topics keep getting asked over and over.... you totally " re-phrased " a thread because you didn't like what you were hearing.... what the crap is that.
i really wish you would get off the organic kick, ok, full organic or a bridge type fertilizers are great but, far from cost effective. just make some calls, price a bag of 34-5-10 ( make sure to get info on how much sqft it covers ) then price a bag of " organic " like 14-2-7 ( get the sqft ) to many people on this site are trying to one up the law, can i use vinegar? i would hate to explain why i smell like a douce everyday.. natural insect control ( predators )
ok, on paper this is a great idea but, do you realize what enviromental damage can occur if dont in a wrong way..

1grnlwn
11-21-2002, 12:42 AM
Like it or not 3500 there is a market for organics. Its the gas guzzling suburban (or excursion for the less informed crowd) owners who will shell out the dough to say they are organic. Oh Welcome to lawnsite A1.

Mark

f350
11-21-2002, 12:55 AM
i agree there's a market for everything, look at spam... am i or anyone else with money on the brain going to pass on 100 potential customers for 1 full organic???? um, no...

PaulJ
11-21-2002, 01:01 AM
I just read that article in turf today.
At the end they do state that anyhting used to control weeds needs to be labeles for such use.
It also said that there are a few companies that are packaging vinigar labeled for weed control.
So, if you are licenced, and if you have the proberly labed product, then viniger mught have a place in the commercial market.

I might try it to keep the vegitation down on a small beach on a small lake for a customer next year.

KLR
11-21-2002, 08:33 AM
i use viniger, oh wait, i use it on my french fries, guess that doesn't count.

A1, i got to agree with F350, though he can be harsh, but you didn't like the answers you got earlier, you probably don't like these answers either.

Again i'll say this....if a product is labeled to control weeds, then it is a pesticide, (does't matter what it is made from, viniger or whatever) and an applicators license is needed.

End of story friend
peace

Fvstringpicker
11-21-2002, 09:39 AM
The folks here are trying to keep you out of trouble. You need to research the laws in your state rather than trying to get us to help find a loophole. In the final analysis, the Judge you're going to be standing in front of is going to determine whether vinigar, gasoline, jack daniels, or whatever is legal for you to put down without a license. The fines can be stiff.

A1 Grass
11-21-2002, 02:08 PM
I'm quoting my original post to point something out:

Originally posted by A1 Grass
Since my last posting about herbicides vs. "natural remedies" has taken a turn for the worse I'll re-phrase and ask a simple question:

Does anyone use any "natural" or "home-remedy" type mixtures for weed control as opposed to say "Roundup"?

1. I never asked any questions about licensing... did I?

2. I am educating myself in order to NOT break the law. Not for LOOPHOLES.

3. I never said I wasn't going to get a license. I just wanted to know about "natural" remedies.

4. If my re-phrasing a question bothers somebody, oh well. :cry:

Thanks for all of the helpful posts.

GroundKprs
11-21-2002, 02:52 PM
A1, while some of the replies may seem a bit obtuse, your answer has been given numerous times. You seemed to ask in your original question how you could control weeds without licensing, perhaps by using natural products, rather than chemical pesticides.

Federal law regulates pesticides, and defers to the states the actual control of their final distribution. A pesticide, by definition, is something that controls a pest. A mousetrap is not regulated, but D-Con is. You can buy D-Con for your own use, but if you buy it to sell mouse control to someone, you must be licensed in most states. Or you can set 1000 mousetraps with no license. :D

Weed control is the same way. You can pull all the weeds you want, but if you find that catsup kills dandelions, You will need a catsup bottle with a pesticide label, and you will need a pesticide applicator's license. What you hear on TV or anywhere else about "natural" or "home remedy" controls, you can try on your own lawn and ornamentals, but you cannot sell these to others.

A1 Grass
11-21-2002, 05:10 PM
Thanks. I really do appreciate the help.

Ricky
11-21-2002, 05:27 PM
This is probably not what you are looking for..........But you might find it intresting.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/
http://www.jerrybaker.com/JerryBaker/assets/html/homepage.asp

KLR
11-21-2002, 06:18 PM
Ricky,

Thats an exellent quote of C. Spurgeon

Saved? By His grace?

f350
11-21-2002, 07:13 PM
BORING :sleeping:

GrazerZ
11-22-2002, 10:18 AM
Just wondering, why don't you take the apropriate classes or study the material necessary to get your applicators license? I can understand the desire to aproach things from an organic point of view. However, without properlly educating yourself about the subject, you should be very concerned about the personally liability that you could bring upon yourself. Lets face it, without proper training or knowledge you could do more harm than good. Just my two cents.

dhicks
11-22-2002, 03:48 PM
There are a whole slew of books published by Jerry Baker, America's Master Gardener.) Every now and then, you can catch his shows on PBS. Or, visit www.jerrybaker.com

While I legally (MD is real fussy about things like this) cannot use his tips, tricks and tonics on a customers property, I use them on my own yarden and they work.

SWD
11-23-2002, 12:48 AM
A-1, any application you do in the state of Texas, for pay, either synthetic or organic, necessiates a Commercial Applicators License. If you want, give me a call, I will help you with any questions you may have.
I live about 40 minutes N of the Alamo
Steve
830-693-0598
And yes, I have the CA license as well as my Irrigators License