PDA

View Full Version : Fert License in New Jersey

joee0914
12-17-2011, 10:59 PM
So i stopped by my lesco distributor the other day and got into conversation with one of the guys there. He told me that beginning march 1st 2012 apparently you'll need a license to spread fert in new jersey. This is crazy...pritty soon were gonna need a license just to use a lawn mower...:hammerhead:

bigdaddycain1216
12-17-2011, 11:43 PM
we have to have a fert license in Oklahoma.

phasthound
12-18-2011, 08:16 AM
So i stopped by my lesco distributor the other day and got into conversation with one of the guys there. He told me that beginning march 1st 2012 apparently you'll need a license to spread fert in new jersey. This is crazy...pritty soon were gonna need a license just to use a lawn mower...:hammerhead:

The law was passed in Jan. 2011. All professional fertilizer applicators must be certified by the State or work under a certified applicator after 40 hours of training. Rutgers is providing an online training course and test.

The law restricts the amount of N applied per application and annual amount. A certain % must be slow release N.
P is only permitted if determined by soil test, or when seeding, or when using certain organic fertilizers.
No fertilizers may be applied between Dec. 1 and March 1.
This law supersedes all local laws regarding fertilizers.

It's really not hard to comply with.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/healthylawnshealthywater/

joee0914
12-18-2011, 08:29 AM
The law was passed in Jan. 2011. All professional fertilizer applicators must be certified by the State or work under a certified applicator after 40 hours of training. Rutgers is providing an online training course and test.

The law restricts the amount of N applied per application and annual amount. A certain % must be slow release N.
P is only permitted if determined by soil test, or when seeding, or when using certain organic fertilizers.
No fertilizers may be applied between Dec. 1 and March 1.
This law supersedes all local laws regarding fertilizers.

It's really not hard to comply with.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/healthylawnshealthywater/

Im not saying its hard to comply with... they just keep adding licenses for everything now

phasthound
12-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Im not saying its hard to comply with... they just keep adding licenses for everything now

That's nothing new. :(

jc1
12-18-2011, 09:18 AM
The unfortunate thing is that the state can't regulate all the unlicensed contractors applying pesticides let alone straight fertilizer.

Patriot Services
12-18-2011, 09:26 AM
The unfortunate thing is that the state can't regulate all the unlicensed contractors applying pesticides let alone straight fertilizer.

Same here in FL. Fert only license is easy to get. Enforcement is tough but god help you if they do catch you. The state will ring that register and you will be out of business and forever on the radar.
Posted via Mobile Device

phasthound
12-18-2011, 09:38 AM

That is very true, the NJ DEP has made it clear that they will not be enforcing this law as no funding to do so was approved.

fireman gus
12-18-2011, 11:06 AM
In my area of North Central Oklahoma you had better have a license. I have heard that the person in charge of checking for people applying fertilizeris like a "dog hunting a bone". Once she gets wind of someone she is relentless about following up on them. And if by chance you don't have a license she WILL throw the book at you with hesitation.

heritage
01-17-2012, 10:58 PM
www.profact.rutgers.edu

Registration opened today. Sign up.

Looks good.

ant
01-18-2012, 09:39 AM
more money.*trucewhiteflag*

ant
01-18-2012, 09:59 AM
any or you take the exam yet? after i registered and and changed my password it brings me to a page that states:Server Error in '/' Application..i emailed Rutgers so we will see.

heritage
01-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Exam should be available online next week.

LB1234
01-18-2012, 04:12 PM
I don't care about the license, I don't care about the fee....my customers pay for that....however, I will now have the camera ready for every tom dick and harry I see applying anything. They better have licenses, lettered trucks, paperwork etc. I will start reporting cause lord knows this crappy state won't police it.

shovelracer
01-18-2012, 04:53 PM
The whole thing is funny. 90% of what the law asks is common sense that most companies have been doing. You know, do not apply before or after heavy rain, do not apply to impervious areas, keep N under certain amounts, do not apply when ground is frozen, etc.

The website was supposed to be up in Dec., but they must be pushing cause it gets more functional every day. Sort of ticks me off that DEP pesticide applicators are not exempt, but with the big man talking about income tax cuts and the like it doesn't surprise me that there is now one more thing I need to renew and pay for to do business. I'd rather the state adopt a landscape contractor license program and just roll all these licenses and permits into one thing even if it is $1000 per year. Instead doing 10 small ones at $50-250 each is a huge PITA.

I encourage everyone to actually read the material. It is nothing new to most people in the field, but interesting to see it in writing from the university. Sort of makes you wonder what this law is really about. Particularly the section that talks about pollutants. How the majority of it is caused by urban infrastructure and not fertilizer. And how a fertilized lawn contributes less to water contamination than a non fertilized lawn.

So the answer in the end is not policing lawn fertilizing companies, although I still would not be against some sort of restriction on sale to homeowners. Even if it only means restricting sale dates of certain items. Anyone can walk into the local big box tomorrow and pick up 50lbs of weed n feed. Nothing like putting it down Presidents weekend to get a good jump on the neighbor.

turf hokie
01-18-2012, 05:05 PM
at least its state wide, in NY its by county and they wont renew your home improvement license unless you get your fertilizer certification.

Which, of course, is redundant in both NY and NJ or anywhere else for that matter, if you have your pesticide license it should include these fert licenses as well.

Just add another shingle to the wall that is basically just a receipt of doing business around here.

Can I get a reciprocal fert license like I have a reciprocal NJ pesticide license?

Silly, just silly, more fees for the legit business owner while all these other guys skate and nobody to police it......

phasthound
01-18-2012, 05:06 PM
It's up and running. http://profact.rutgers.edu/Pages/default.aspx

ant
01-18-2012, 09:19 PM
It's up and running. http://profact.rutgers.edu/Pages/default.aspx

hi barry: can you log on to it? i cant..

Lefet
01-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Okay, my wife was reading this to me as I was driving. Let me understand this, or please correct me if I'm wrong. We are both licensed pesticide applicators, our business is a licensed commercial business, and we STILL need to get this "fetilizer" license?
Am I missing something?

ant
01-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Okay, my wife was reading this to me as I was driving. Let me understand this, or please correct me if I'm wrong. We are both licensed pesticide applicators, our business is a licensed commercial business, and we STILL need to get this "fetilizer" license?

Am I missing something?
From what I understand is yes! I don't think the test on line is fully function able yet I am having problems with logging on. I e mailed them and waiting a reply.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet
01-19-2012, 10:12 AM
That is absolutely the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.

ant
01-19-2012, 10:15 AM
That is absolutely the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.

Wait till u view the site. Its going to take u 4 hrs to read the pages b4 u can take the test. I can't sit in front of a computer that long!
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet
01-19-2012, 10:17 AM
I've timed out right now as far as sitting in front of the computer. Nothing annoys me more than trying to do the right thing from the beginning, only to have somebody change
"the right thing" in the middle of the program.

Lefet2
01-19-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't care about the license, I don't care about the fee....my customers pay for that....however, I will now have the camera ready for every tom dick and harry I see applying anything. They better have licenses, lettered trucks, paperwork etc. I will start reporting cause lord knows this crappy state won't police it.

I agree!!!

Lefet
01-19-2012, 10:24 AM
So does this mean that insurance is going to be required also?

Lefet2
01-19-2012, 10:36 AM
So lets see $80 for pesticide applicators license, $150 for the commercial business applicators license, and $75 to train and license me for fert that's $305.That Then the customer says "you know Lawn Doctor will do it for 5 cents an application why cant you"?

Lefet2
01-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Forgot that does not include the cost for the core class and the 3B and 3A class!

turf hokie
01-19-2012, 11:25 AM
So lets see $80 for pesticide applicators license, $150 for the commercial business applicators license, and $75 to train and license me for fert that's $305.That Then the customer says "you know Lawn Doctor will do it for 5 cents an application why cant you"?

and t/g will do it for 4 cents,

and then add to my location on the NJ border and need to service NY and NJ where you can take all those fees and add $100 for the applicator and $200 for the business and if I recall it was $50 for the fertilizer plus the recertification for the applicator license.

It boils down to just another tax on the legit business owner, I keep calling for them to chase down the illegals but alas, they came right out and said that I am easier to find, they can go thru my records and storage and truck and they would need to catch the illegal red handed in the act. I will have to pay the fines or lose my license and the illegal wont ever pay because they dont have any recourse.

Pisses me off because if someone robbed a house and they didnt catch them in the act they would do some investigation to find the perp. Basically, the unlicensed guy is stealing from me and the NY DEC POLICE will not investigate, only try to catch them in the act if they are close enough to get there in time.

I called 6 times this past summer and they did not investigate once, matter of fact they did not even return my last 2 calls. But a disgruntled customer that I fired called and claimed I didnt give a full label to her for the applications that she didnt pay for....boy they were on MY sh!t fast.....

Rant over, ,,,, maybe, this crap pisses me off bad.

Lefet
01-19-2012, 01:21 PM
and t/g will do it for 4 cents,

and then add to my location on the NJ border and need to service NY and NJ where you can take all those fees and add $100 for the applicator and $200 for the business and if I recall it was $50 for the fertilizer plus the recertification for the applicator license.

It boils down to just another tax on the legit business owner, I keep calling for them to chase down the illegals but alas, they came right out and said that I am easier to find, they can go thru my records and storage and truck and they would need to catch the illegal red handed in the act. I will have to pay the fines or lose my license and the illegal wont ever pay because they dont have any recourse.

Pisses me off because if someone robbed a house and they didnt catch them in the act they would do some investigation to find the perp. Basically, the unlicensed guy is stealing from me and the NY DEC POLICE will not investigate, only try to catch them in the act if they are close enough to get there in time.

I called 6 times this past summer and they did not investigate once, matter of fact they did not even return my last 2 calls. But a disgruntled customer that I fired called and claimed I didnt give a full label to her for the applications that she didnt pay for....boy they were on MY sh!t fast.....

Rant over, ,,,, maybe, this crap pisses me off bad.

Sometimes, rants are necessary. This really got me sick to my stomach from the stress and aggravation. No joke, had to stop at CVS while just out to get a bottle of Maalox and Tums.
ANYHOW. I think I'm going to to do the same thing. I'm going to take pictures and report. But I'm going to take it a step further. I'm going to take the time to educate the applicator, (thereby letting them know I'm going to report them), and I'm going to inform the homeowner. If they're not there, I'm going to leave a "letter of intent" I'll call it for now, letting them know what the deal is. Not going to leave a business card with the homeowner, no way going to solicate business, (they'll see it on the truck anyway), just going to educate.

I won't do anything behind somebody's back that I won't do to their face.

Lefet
01-19-2012, 01:32 PM
That's nothing new. :(

My other question would be, what committee or organization should we consider becoming part of that would represent our portion of the program. I don't believe in just complaining, and not becoming a part of solution.

phasthound
01-19-2012, 03:07 PM
My other question would be, what committee or organization should we consider becoming part of that would represent our portion of the program. I don't believe in just complaining, and not becoming a part of solution.

Now you're talking about being constructive. Most people just b!tch & moan and do nothing.

The NJ Fert law was 10 years in the making and hotly debated in the 2 years before it was passed Dec 2010. There are several associations in NJ you might consider joining, NJ Landscape Contractors Association, NJ Turf Grass Association, NJ Nursery and Landscape Association, NJ Green Industry Council.

My recommendation is to get involved and listen to all information then decide for yourself before coming to a foregone conclusion.

Lefet
01-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Now you're talking about being constructive. Most people just b!tch & moan and do nothing.

The NJ Fert law was 10 years in the making and hotly debated in the 2 years before it was passed Dec 2010. There are several associations in NJ you might consider joining, NJ Landscape Contractors Association, NJ Turf Grass Association, NJ Nursery and Landscape Association, NJ Green Industry Council.

My recommendation is to get involved and listen to all information then decide for yourself before coming to a foregone conclusion.

Thank you for that information. I was aware the debate had been going on as I was "watching" from the sidelines. Shame on me for not getting more involved, or paying CLOSER attention. I could say a lot more, but I'll just say I'll check out these associations tomorrow and thanks.

turf hokie
01-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Not in NJ, but in NY I am a member of many of the associations, perhaps not as active as I could be but I have spoken at the legistative meetings and voiced my opinions, backed with university studies etc....

They all thank you, say how they werent aware of the facts I, and others, brought forward, will take it under consideration, and 15 minutes later vote any way....Why? because it has been discussed behind closed doors with a select few, they have already made their decisions.

I am a bit jaded on all these laws..especially when I view them just as political feathers for them to put in their hats. No real science behind the decision, expecially when they are unenforceable and they readily admit they are unenforceable, then what is the point of putting it on the books other than to garner a headline and perhaps a few votes in the next election???

ant
01-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Exam should be available online next week.
this is the message i received
NOTE: The certification exam is not available at this time. Please read through the training material for now and check back here later. The test will be available by January 30th.

heritage
01-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Test should be available on Monday the 30th.

Happy Early Spring!

joee0914
01-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Are you guys having problems logging in?? I've had to re-register twice and I am still having trouble logging in...

ant
01-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Yep. Its a joke this tiMe of the year when we are just starting up
Posted via Mobile Device

Ticolawnllc
01-27-2012, 09:41 PM
50-70% of the problem is form run off from roads and soil erosion on construction sites. Why do we need a license?

I don't mind but every one is pointing the finger on us.

Scott's Lawn Maintenance
01-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Well it's Monday January 30 and still can not login after registering, has anyone been able to login yet ?

Ticolawnllc
01-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Well it's Monday January 30 and still can not login after registering, has anyone been able to login yet ?

I think I logged on. But now that I think about it I'm not sure. I went to the log in page and logged in and it took me to some page. Form there I opened the table of contents and stared reading. I hope it's keeping track of my progress. I guess I won't know till I try to take the test. :hammerhead:

heritage
01-30-2012, 05:54 PM
*Update*

www.profact.rutgers.edu

Testing begins Feb 1st.

TJLANDS
01-30-2012, 07:21 PM
They all thank you, say how they werent aware of the facts I, and others, brought forward, will take it under consideration, and 15 minutes later vote any way....Why? because it has been discussed behind closed doors with a select few, they have already made their decisions.

I am a bit jaded on all these laws..especially when I view them just as political feathers for them to put in their hats. No real science behind the decision, expecially when they are unenforceable and they readily admit they are unenforceable, then what is the point of putting it on the books other than to garner a headline and perhaps a few votes in the next election???

there is zero chance of changing anything in this state ever, they will let you talk and discuss it till you are all blue in the face and then it gets passed anyway... every time...

very frustrating state.

just went thru a total fiasco with my property taxes in Jackson,
up 7% year over year- law is now 2% tops, WTF, township even voted it down cannot get an answer from anyone anywhere,
this state is a mess

heritage
02-01-2012, 11:48 AM
*Update*

www.profact.rutgers.edu

Testing begins Feb 1st.

Rutgers again updated the test date to Feb 2nd.

Guess they are having some site issues.

Ticolawnllc
02-01-2012, 10:59 PM
The more I read about this lawn the more I think we need a lobby for lawn care. I keep going over my sales pitch for next year on how the new law will change things the more I notice stuff.

1. Construction inspectors visit sites all the time. I never hear about them getting strong armed into fixing stuff. I know they had a hard few years but cleared lots have been sitting for years but we get blamed.

2. So I know Rutgers has to pay the bill thats ok. But think about it. We all have to pay $25 a year to get re certified every year for a department that doesn't exist.

3. Why can't operators work under the certified applicator. It sounds to me like they want all operators to get certified?

shovelracer
02-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Sure would be nice if when they publish a date they stick to it.

blk90s13
02-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Oh no not another fee !

heritage
02-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Regret being a messenger.......I guess even big RED has issues at times.

@ Tico: It is only good that EVERY applicator is trained. Accountability is paramount. If folks (Business) actually cared enough to be accountable and just follow simple Best Management Practices and be Educated, we likely would not have these groundwater issues.......

Fees.......Yep. Welcome to Capitalism. Everyone pays I guess......

phasthound
02-02-2012, 02:01 PM
The more I read about this lawn the more I think we need a lobby for lawn care. I keep going over my sales pitch for next year on how the new law will change things the more I notice stuff.

1. Construction inspectors visit sites all the time. I never hear about them getting strong armed into fixing stuff. I know they had a hard few years but cleared lots have been sitting for years but we get blamed.

2. So I know Rutgers has to pay the bill thats ok. But think about it. We all have to pay $25 a year to get re certified every year for a department that doesn't exist.

3. Why can't operators work under the certified applicator. It sounds to me like they want all operators to get certified?

The NJ Green Industry Council is a lobby that represents the lawn industry (among others) in NJ and has actively been involved in modifying this legislation for years. It has been a long hard struggle and all of the points you made (and many others) were discussed & fought over. The original version of the bill would have been much worse for the industry than what was passed. The new law is part of a comprehensive plan on reducing nutrient overload in our water systems. Water quality is a serious problem that affects all of us.

Runoff and leaching of nutrients from lawn fertilizers play a minor role in this problem. Most nutrients get into our waters via storm water runoff and soil erosion. Other new State laws were passed in conjunction with the fert law that will address these other sources by improving storm run-off systems and reducing erosion during and after construction.

It may appear to some that the lawn care industry is being picked on and the new fert. law will dramatically hurt our businesses. I heard the same line of reasoning in the early '80s when the pesticide laws started taking affect. I have seen dramatic growth in the industry and many safer products made available since then. For my part, I think the new fert. law (while it still has some bugs to be worked on) is reasonable and not difficult to deal with.

xclusive
02-02-2012, 04:11 PM
It would be nice if the just combined the Fert Law with the Pesticide license instead of making 2 different licenses. This state is so ass backwards its not even funny. They should start fining the guys putting down stuff with out a license to generate more revenue for the state instead of making us legit guys paying for another license.

Lefet
02-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Exactly xclusive, those ALREADY LICENSED, should just be able to get a stamp or something. You want me to take an additonal class or two, great. I'm all for quality improvement, reducing the footprint, etc., etc., etc., but if nobody is punished for doing it illegally, what's the point?

shovelracer
02-03-2012, 11:22 AM
5. Take the test
***NOTE***
NOTE: We will be emailing information regarding the test to applicators who have registered and completed the training, starting February 3rd.

Dear NJ I'm not sure it would fly if I renewed my licenses or payed my taxes a month late. Perhaps you can create a schedule and stick to it. Applications in some areas will be starting in just a few weeks with or without you.

Lefet
02-03-2012, 11:25 AM
5. Take the test
***NOTE***
NOTE: We will be emailing information regarding the test to applicators who have registered and completed the training, starting February 3rd.

Dear NJ I'm not sure it would fly if I renewed my licenses or payed my taxes a month late. Perhaps you can create a schedule and stick to it. Applications in some areas will be starting in just a few weeks with or without you.

HERE HERE!!!!:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

heritage
02-04-2012, 05:12 PM
That was easy.................

Lefet2
02-04-2012, 06:25 PM

What do you mean?

Ticolawnllc
02-04-2012, 07:11 PM

I hope you're not talking about the test. I read every thing days ago and I haven't gotten any notice yet.

Worst thing is the status page isn't working. So I can't tell if all my reading registered :hammerhead::dizzy::hammerhead:

joee0914
02-05-2012, 09:53 AM
I hope you're not talking about the test. I read every thing days ago and I haven't gotten any notice yet.

Worst thing is the status page isn't working. So I can't tell if all my reading registered :hammerhead::dizzy::hammerhead:

Same here... no notice yet and don't even know if the website is tracking all my reading.. NJ/Rutgers needs to get on top of this stuff..

Lefet
02-05-2012, 10:49 AM
I think we should all get together and take out an ad in the Press directed to the homeowners, making them aware of the requirements for their landscapers. I bet the majority of them are clueless.

Ticolawnllc
02-05-2012, 11:22 AM
I think we should all get together and take out an ad in the Press directed to the homeowners, making them aware of the requirements for their landscapers. I bet the majority of them are clueless.

They don't want to know. If they knew then they would have to care. But they don't care because if they care then they would pay more.

Last year when I stared telling customers this was coming they just walked away. They think it's just me making an upsale.

By the way, the press is disappearing more and more every week. I give it two more years tops.

Ticolawnllc
02-05-2012, 11:24 AM
What I am going to do is post a link to the new fert law on my website.

Lefet
02-05-2012, 11:29 AM
They don't want to know. If they knew then they would have to care. But they don't care because if they care then they would pay more.

Last year when I stared telling customers this was coming they just walked away. They think it's just me making an upsale.

By the way, the press is disappearing more and more every week. I give it two more years tops.

I'd still think I'd give it a try. Especially about the insurance. They never think about those things until something happens. And I'll STILL be out there with the camera, taking pictures and names and phone numbers. And I'll tell the person whose picture I'm taking what I'm doing.
You're in Wall, there's some nice lawns down there, I would think they would care!!

And yes, the Press is trying to move to online only, I'm surprised it's lasted THIS long.

Lefet
02-05-2012, 11:30 AM
What I am going to do is post a link to the new fert law on my website.

I did that too, you just don't know who or when somebody's going to see it.

Ticolawnllc
02-05-2012, 11:39 AM
I'd still think I'd give it a try. Especially about the insurance. They never think about those things until something happens. And I'll STILL be out there with the camera, taking pictures and names and phone numbers. And I'll tell the person whose picture I'm taking what I'm doing.
You're in Wall, there's some nice lawns down there, I would think they would care!!

And yes, the Press is trying to move to online only, I'm surprised it's lasted THIS long.

lol. They care about how the lawn look. They don't care about what we have to do to stay in business.

I get what you're saying. We need to inform the public. How to do that is a great question.

Lefet
02-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Ad in the press. It would even let the townships know we're expecting them to uphold their end of this legislation. In other words, when we let you know someone's not complying, what are YOU going to do about it?
Don't mind my Sunday morning rant, I'm just looking at the eventual NINE licenses that will have to be instated prior to me starting a season. Oh yeah, and let's not forget about that insurance!!!

phasthound
02-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Relax guys, the Jersey Giants won the Super Bowl!!!!!

heritage
02-06-2012, 11:37 AM
That was easy. Just sarcasm.

The University has not returned the email with payment instructions as of yet. Will post the day they do, and the test can begin.

Got Poultry Manure??? If you do and have lobbied real hard the last 10 years.....You may just be in the top 1% of the nations rich.

And OUR waterways will STILL be polluted from N and P. Chicken Poop has lot's of Phos.......

Soon the Farmer won't be using P either. Plant growth will come to a halt. No food for you.

TJLANDS
02-06-2012, 01:08 PM
You may be closer to the truth than most realize
Posted via Mobile Device

phasthound
02-06-2012, 03:14 PM
And OUR waterways will STILL be polluted from N and P. Chicken Poop has lot's of Phos.......

Maximum P allowed from "manipulated animal manures" is .25lb/1000. Biosolids are exempt from restrictions.

Ticolawnllc
02-06-2012, 04:29 PM
That was easy. Just sarcasm.

The University has not returned the email with payment instructions as of yet. Will post the day they do, and the test can begin.

Got Poultry Manure??? If you do and have lobbied real hard the last 10 years.....You may just be in the top 1% of the nations rich.

Soon the Farmer won't be using P either. Plant growth will come to a halt. No food for you.

Man you had me pulling my hair out. lol

heritage
02-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Maximum P allowed from "manipulated animal manures" is .25lb/1000. Biosolids are exempt from restrictions.

Thats one way of looking at this..............What about all the other loops?

heritage
02-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Man you had me pulling my hair out. lol

Whoops........... not my intention Tico.

Lefet
02-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Thats one way of looking at this..............What about all the other loops?

Whoops........... not my intention Tico.

Did you wait the required 185 seconds before that second post???

heritage
02-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Hahahah Nice.............

Ticolawnllc
02-06-2012, 07:42 PM

never mind. :hammerhead:

Lefet
02-07-2012, 11:26 AM
never mind. :hammerhead:

What did you do delete your entire post from yesterday?

I had no clue what you were talking about!!!

Lefet
02-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Wednesday the 8th, any luck so far? We still haven't even been contacted as we emailed them a few days ago.

Ticolawnllc
02-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Wednesday the 8th, any luck so far? We still haven't even been contacted as we emailed them a few days ago.

I havn't gotten anything yet.

xclusive
02-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Just got my email a few minutes ago.

Lefet2
02-08-2012, 11:02 AM

You can take the test? Im still waiting sent several e-mails.

Lefet
02-08-2012, 11:04 AM

Yeah come on!! What kind of "little bit of info is that??????"
Email from who, what did it say, what was it about, when can you take the test, when can we, is it keeping track now????

Better yet!!

They're sorry, they made a BIG mistake and we really don't need them after all!!!!!! :rolleyes:

xclusive
02-08-2012, 11:26 AM
This is part of what it said "Congratulations on completing the training for ProFACT, the Professional Fertilizer Applicators Certification and Training. We are inviting you to now complete the next step for certification, taking the certification exam."

Ticolawnllc
02-08-2012, 11:31 AM
I got my e-mail!!!!!:weightlifter:

Lefet
02-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Still waiting.............................................................................................

shovelracer
02-08-2012, 11:41 AM
I got one too, except mine was to respond to my email that was asking why my status was not updating. Their response was that it is not registering so I must not have read it. The response email has not been responded to and the number they gave me to call went to voice mail.

I have been on this for over a month now. I check everything several times a day. This has been going on since before new years. I have even set aside several large blocks of time in anticipation of taking the test. I have really read through the entire thing at least once, I have even gone back and reread many sections twice. I also am a licensed pesticide applicator so this is not a foreign language. Then I have even gone back and re-clicked on each page 3 times. Each time using a different method. :wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall :wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall

Lefet2
02-08-2012, 11:52 AM
I got one too, except mine was to respond to my email that was asking why my status was not updating. Their response was that it is not registering so I must not have read it. The response email has not been responded to and the number they gave me to call went to voice mail.

I have been on this for over a month now. I check everything several times a day. This has been going on since before new years. I have even set aside several large blocks of time in anticipation of taking the test. I have really read through the entire thing at least once, I have even gone back and reread many sections twice. I also am a licensed pesticide applicator so this is not a foreign language. Then I have even gone back and re-clicked on each page 3 times. Each time using a different method. :wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall :wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall

Ditto!!!!!

Ticolawnllc
02-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Got a 76.somthing%. lmas.

Like 6 questions had the final option covered up. I passed that what counts.

xclusive
02-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Still waiting.............................................................................................

Ditto!!!!!

Just outta curiousity why are there lefet and lefet2? Same person?

Lefet
02-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Just outta curiousity why are there lefet and lefet2? Same person?

Somebody told me the more there was of me, the more juice I had on LS!!

Lefet
02-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Somebody told me the more there was of me, the more juice I had on LS!!

J/K.
That's my better half, the REAL brains behind the operation! She got tired of me having all the fun on LS.

Lefet
02-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Got a 76.somthing%. lmas.

Like 6 questions had the final option covered up. I passed that what counts.

Congratulations!!

LB1234
02-08-2012, 05:08 PM
was at the local lesco in bound brook yesterday for some recert pts for my pest license. spoke to a handfull of fellow landscapers and every single one (rightfully so) was bitching about the site...from not being able to log on to paying and the pay site not telling the rutgers site there paid so they can go ahead and take the test. Its an absolute embarassment. If we ran our companies like this we'd be out of business, the government, well....

ant
02-08-2012, 06:19 PM
so is it working yey? i logged on and it not tracking my reading

Lefet2
02-08-2012, 06:29 PM
I called them today and the guy told me that if you didnt click at the bottom of each page you read to go to the next section it would'nt have you as completing that page. I logged back in and went thru it again and made sure I hit next section at the bottom to be sure. He claims that I should get an e-mail shortly! I hope so!

Ticolawnllc
02-08-2012, 06:32 PM
To be on the safe side I went over every part of the reading a second time as I was watching tv. Every break I would hit the next tab. I did it just to make sure it registered my "reading". :sleeping:

Lefet2
02-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Congrats Tico! At least your done with it now.

wcb607a
02-08-2012, 07:03 PM
I just took the test and passed:clapping: What a joke. Not worth the 75 bucks. :)

xclusive
02-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Passed with an 80. Now lets see how long it takes to get the license :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ticolawnllc
02-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Passed with an 80. Now lets see how long it takes to get the license :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We should get the license some time in March.........2013

We'll all be dead by then so who cares.

blk90s13
02-08-2012, 10:38 PM
We should get the license some time in March.........2013

We'll all be dead by then so who cares.

I hear you on that :laugh:

LB1234
02-09-2012, 09:51 AM
:wall:wall:wall:wall

what a freakin joke. Problems loggin in..had to email help desk. Problems getting to next section...had to email help desk. Problems with status not being updated...had to email help desk.

This damn website is run like a bunch of monkey's trying to **** a football! This is the return email I get regarding me not being able to select the "next section" button when I started to read my darn training material...

The "next section" button does work but you are correct that it doesn't look like it is working. We are in the process of repairing that.

Hover over the "next section" text/button with your mouse and left-click to advance to the next section. The web site will record all your views and clicks. Once you view and click all pages the website will recognize you have completed the training.

Hope this helps.

ProFACT

I love, love, love the "hope this helps" line:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

the inmates are running the asylum

TJLANDS
02-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Next there will be an

Installing Mulch license
trimming bushes license
prunning trees license
planting license
mixing 2 stroke oil license
Spilling 2 stroke mix clean-up license
spreading rock salt license
spreading ice melt license
towing license
plowing license
operating dangerous machine license (mower)
operating loud machines license (blower)

How bout just one, this state is a joke give me your money license

LB1234
02-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Next there will be an

Installing Mulch license
trimming bushes license
prunning trees license
planting license
towing license
plowing license

Hey, the have to make good on "THE GARDEN STATE"

LB1234
02-09-2012, 11:18 AM
well, received yet another email. In a nutshell...i'm not doing anything wrong but it may take up to 24hrs to post my progress. OMG!!!! if my wife and I wouldn't be losing over 100k on our house we would have been out of here at the drop of a hat!

blk90s13
02-09-2012, 12:39 PM
well, received yet another email. In a nutshell...i'm not doing anything wrong but it may take up to 24hrs to post my progress. OMG!!!! if my wife and I wouldn't be losing over 100k on our house we would have been out of here at the drop of a hat!

Same reason I am stuck in this **** hole garden state too :cry:

LB1234
02-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Same reason I am stuck in this **** hole garden state too :cry:

i give up

*trucewhiteflag*

heritage
02-09-2012, 06:04 PM
I just took the test and passed:clapping: What a joke. Not worth the 75 bucks. :)

It's no joke. That 75 bucks is just the beginning. Next come the new insurance liability bill that will raise the rates as Groundwater Pollution is big business in nj. AND if you are ORGANIC, you will still have the potential for N and P pollution........

More licenses to come.........

ProFact..................Revenues for the state and create more jobs.

And cost others their jobs as folks won't pay 20 bucks per 1,000 or more.

I think I will start a wildflower pasture planting business............

heritage
02-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Next there will be an

Installing Mulch license
trimming bushes license
prunning trees license
planting license
towing license
plowing license

Wish I could laugh at this. But I see the forest through the trees............

Ticolawnllc
02-09-2012, 06:52 PM
We just need to switch into goat drop off and goat pick up.

LB1234
02-10-2012, 07:11 PM
I think I will start a wildflower pasture planting business............

are you licensed for that?

Lefet
02-10-2012, 07:16 PM
are you licensed for that?

Probably not as that appears to be one of those "multi-license" jobs.
one to buy the wildflowers
one to plant
one to fertilize
one to sell
and one for the business to say that he does all that.

Oh yeah, and don't forget about the insurance!

shovelracer
02-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Next there will be an

Installing Mulch license
planting license
Currently requires NJHIC, and 811 locate calling
trimming bushes license
prunning trees license
Future will require approval after eco audit, filing fee and business reg require
Not to worry in a few more years it will illegal to purchase new 2 stroke equipment and the rest of equipment will require a yearly emissions audit with approval stickers and fees appropriate for how dirty your company operates.
I have often thought this was very likely, especially if someone ties in plant nutrient uptake to soil salt concentration
towing license
DOT # is already required, NJ could fully easily adopt Fed DOT regs. Then you have local Joe PD pulling you over to do federal vehicle inspections and axle weighing
plowing license
Altered vehicle registration and increased registration costs, also effects emissions audit.
Emissions audit, annual noise db certification inspection sticker, OSHA drops down to municipal level and 40hrs on job training, 8hrs classroom training and, annual on the job inspection by approved inspector.

These are all very real possibilities. There are some states that combine licenses, but believe me everyone would be up in arms if all of a sudden you were required to have a $3000 license and $500 test fee.

heritage
02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
These are all very real possibilities. There are some states that combine licenses, but believe me everyone would be up in arms if all of a sudden you were required to have a $3000 license and $500 test fee.

Yes agree Shovelracer. When you have been around for a while, this becomes more "Transparent".

This also will have an effect on client turnover, as these fees cause the exp. business person(s) to pass them on to clients that over time may opt to choose another business professional who not yet knows how to set pricing, then cuts corners, which has an effect on the quality of work and yes more "Misapplications". I think education is a "Key" factor, but folks here tend to argue with those with the experience. So they don't have the correct "Attitude" to actually learn from those who have been their before........

LB1234
02-13-2012, 07:52 PM
again I could give two turds about the fee and the BS...thats life. Its the governing of the fert law, or lack thereof, that is going to gripe my behind. It's going to be just like the pest license, HIC, and all the illegal labor we have now. Simply not enough people to enforce it. The worse part....the only way you are going to get into any type of trouble is if you are licensed because they know how to find you, audit you, and fine you for your mistakes. Meanwhile the johnny come lately's have no way of being tracked and therefore no way to get fined.

xclusive
02-14-2012, 02:59 PM
again I could give two turds about the fee and the BS...thats life. Its the governing of the fert law, or lack thereof, that is going to gripe my behind. It's going to be just like the pest license, HIC, and all the illegal labor we have now. Simply not enough people to enforce it. The worse part....the only way you are going to get into any type of trouble is if you are licensed because they know how to find you, audit you, and fine you for your mistakes. Meanwhile the johnny come lately's have no way of being tracked and therefore no way to get fined.

Absolutely well said!!

TJLANDS
02-20-2012, 12:47 PM
I still have not been contacted by the state with regards to this
new so called license.

Has anyone ?

I have been licensed since 1992

xclusive
02-20-2012, 12:54 PM
I still have not been contacted by the state with regards to this
new so called license.

Has anyone ?

I have been licensed since 1992

They do not contact you. You have to go register here http://profact.rutgers.edu/Pages/default.aspx. Once registered they will e-mail on how proceed with the reading and test.

ant
02-25-2012, 03:55 PM
come on lets hear your horror story's. all i got to say is that i had questions and
1. e mailed them
2. called 7 times and never and only spoke to a person the first time i called left 2 messages and the 5 times the mail box was full.
this is bullshit!
a friend took the test and failed and he played a major part in making up the testing material.

phasthound
02-25-2012, 07:04 PM
I haven't taken the test yet. I found the modules to be informative and may be difficult for a lot of people. I think they did a pretty good job of providing much needed education on fertilization.

I see that very few people have passed it so far. I'm sure a lot is due to the program not working as well as it should. Rutgers has to take the blame for poor IT development and lack of correcting the problems so many are having.

turf hokie
02-25-2012, 08:08 PM
I called thursday to see if the class and fertilizer licensing that I have taken in NY would reciprocate to NJ like my NY pesticide license would.....guess who I have not gotten a call back from yet....

phasthound
02-25-2012, 11:12 PM
C'mon man! Give them a break, they haven't had time yet to recover from their 3 day holiday weekend. :)

ant
02-26-2012, 11:15 AM
there is a format problem:

Certification Exam​
Please take the exam below. Do NOT click your browser's back button during the test. If you need to go back to a previous question, use the back link below the test answers. Also, there may be minor formatting issues where text overlaps in the test answers. The test will still function correctly and we are aware of these issues.

ant
02-26-2012, 06:26 PM
i passed... what a pain in the ass..

Ghopper3345
02-28-2012, 09:18 PM
How much is everyone paying fo a bag of 19-0-6 .10% dimension from Lesco in nj
Posted via Mobile Device

H & M Yard Improvements
02-28-2012, 10:06 PM

Im sure a lot of homeowners are clueless about it, however, im sure none of them care. Especially if it will save them a few $$. I just had a brain fart and forgot where i was going with this so ill be quiet now. Too much reading today. My brain is fried lol.

H & M Yard Improvements
02-28-2012, 10:11 PM

The new fert law seems to me to be nothing more than just another tax on buisnesses. If they are going to make you pay for the license but not enforce it, thats what it seems to me. Lowballers or illegal ops will come and go. Imnot too worried about it. The thing that worries me more than all of this is soaring gas prices. Anyone else worried about that too?

LB1234
02-29-2012, 10:26 AM
The new fert law seems to me to be nothing more than just another tax on buisnesses. If they are going to make you pay for the license but not enforce it, thats what it seems to me. Lowballers or illegal ops will come and go. Imnot too worried about it. The thing that worries me more than all of this is soaring gas prices. Anyone else worried about that too?

"WE" as a business do not pay for our licensing...our customers do. Its part of my overhead...think of it more like a passthrough tax to the customer:laugh: As for the fuel it is what it is...if you haven't jumped on the "fuel surcharge" fees in your business yet you are just losing money. you shouldn't be paying for that...the customer should! Just wait, everything and I mean everything is going to go up again...from something as simple as getting an overnight shipment of a part needed to keep a piece of equipment running to the local mulch supplier raising his costs cause of the additional trucking fees.

I don't like the term lowballer...i don't have a problem with what people charge...i have a problem with an illegally operating business. If a legit business can charge less than I can and make profit good for them, this is America, go for it. However, the unfair advantage they have is they dont' have to take time out of there workday and do non-profit generating tasks like....pay payroll taxes, send paychecks, speak with the accountant, attend pesticide recert classes, pass NJ fert law exams....need i go on?

your comment "...illegal ops will come and go. Imnot too worried about it." just disturbs me. Don't take is as a personal attack on you in particular.:waving: I strongly feel a lot of people are missing the real problem here and the real problem is NOT the $75 fee!!!! If 75 bucks is going to break your business get out now, you don't have a chance.

H & M Yard Improvements
02-29-2012, 12:17 PM
"WE" as a business do not pay for our licensing...our customers do. Its part of my overhead...think of it more like a passthrough tax to the customer:laugh: As for the fuel it is what it is...if you haven't jumped on the "fuel surcharge" fees in your business yet you are just losing money. you shouldn't be paying for that...the customer should! Just wait, everything and I mean everything is going to go up again...from something as simple as getting an overnight shipment of a part needed to keep a piece of equipment running to the local mulch supplier raising his costs cause of the additional trucking fees.

I don't like the term lowballer...i don't have a problem with what people charge...i have a problem with an illegally operating business. If a legit business can charge less than I can and make profit good for them, this is America, go for it. However, the unfair advantage they have is they dont' have to take time out of there workday and do non-profit generating tasks like....pay payroll taxes, send paychecks, speak with the accountant, attend pesticide recert classes, pass NJ fert law exams....need i go on?

your comment "...illegal ops will come and go. Imnot too worried about it." just disturbs me. Don't take is as a personal attack on you in particular.:waving: I strongly feel a lot of people are missing the real problem here and the real problem is NOT the $75 fee!!!! If 75 bucks is going to break your business get out now, you don't have a chance.

The only thing that bothers me about the illegal op is that a lot of them undercut everyone and drive prices down. They mow or do whatever for a month or 2 or 3 and then realize they are in over their head and get out of the biz and when "WE" get calls from the customer that they abandoned and we go there and quote them a price they seem to have a heart attack and say: "My last guy only charged......" Those i really just say to them it is what it is and that the last guy didnt know what he was doing thats why he stopped coming etc". I usully just pass on those people because i usually sense a headache with them. I think its not necessarily the fact that i dont get the customer because of the price, its more of the time wasted going there when I could be doing something else. I hope that made sense? lol. BTW, the $75 bucks doesnt bother me either. As you said, it is what it is.

LB1234
02-29-2012, 12:53 PM
The only thing that bothers me about the illegal op is that a lot of them undercut everyone and drive prices down. They mow or do whatever for a month or 2 or 3 and then realize they are in over their head and get out of the biz and when "WE" get calls from the customer that they abandoned and we go there and quote them a price they seem to have a heart attack and say: "My last guy only charged......" Those i really just say to them it is what it is and that the last guy didnt know what he was doing thats why he stopped coming etc". I usully just pass on those people because i usually sense a headache with them. I think its not necessarily the fact that i dont get the customer because of the price, its more of the time wasted going there when I could be doing something else. I hope that made sense? lol. BTW, the $75 bucks doesnt bother me either. As you said, it is what it is.

def makes sense....had the homeowner the other day give me the whole speel about how his current lawn guy is not doing this and doing that wrong and how unhappy he is....blah blah blah. get there, give him the quote and amazingly i'm higher priced than his current guy. I mean I was shocked (hope your picking up on the sarcasm)!! I knew from the get go it was a no go. However, it was a referral so I had to go...it wasn't just a guy that saw my ad or number on the truck.

when push comes to shove they will live with those charging x amount less cause they are the type of customer that places price above any other deciding factor...over the years I've tried to avoid those customers and only retain those that place other traits above price...the problem with the economy is my current customers really don't have a choice at this point....price is becoming a top priority for them, and I can't say i don't blame them

heritage
02-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Extra time spent on mapping with Google (Thanks Google) , and record keeping for the new process/laws.

All my clients signed on for the 2012 season even with a price increase to cover fuel/extra insurance/extra time recordkeeping.

I don't want to take the chance to be unprepaired If I get a random inspection.

Even our local town officials can enforce this new law, and 500 bucks for a fine is to be avoided at all costs.

Hope you guys/gals are keeping on track as well.

Happy Spring to all.

joepetrilli
02-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Unbelievable! NJ SUCKS! I need two not one Pesticide licenses Applicator and Business Pesticide License and a Home Improvement License also just for myself! Just to cut a few lawns and spray a few weeds. Now I have to take another test and pay another fee! Not to mention what I pay for 3 different insurance policies. Can NJ make it any harder for the little guy!

turf hokie
02-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Unbelievable! NJ SUCKS! I need two not one Pesticide licenses Applicator and Business Pesticide License and a Home Improvement License also just for myself! Just to cut a few lawns and spray a few weeds. Now I have to take another test and pay another fee! Not to mention what I pay for 3 different insurance policies. Can NJ make it any harder for the little guy!

Yes they can change the name of thier state to NY, then you would really be upset!!!!

LB1234
03-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Even our local town officials can enforce this new law, and 500 bucks for a fine is to be avoided at all costs.

yep, and its not limited to the town...its basically anyone....county, DEP, anyone. module 5 has a section on this and i cringed! THAT is just ONE of the problems.:cry::cry::cry:

its just crazy scary...not to mention the vagueness of everything...keep records but not much info on what to include. at least the pest lic gives you standard forms to work with

I also love the fact that there will be continuing education requirements...TBD!!!! :laugh: i can't wait. this is just the beginning of the end for my business.

blk90s13
03-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Did anyone have this problem ?? :cry:

turf hokie
03-02-2012, 07:47 PM
still waiting for them to return my message from last thursday.....

blk90s13
03-02-2012, 08:15 PM

about the same issue ?

ant
03-02-2012, 09:15 PM

good luck! i left 5 messages and 3 e mails

xclusive
03-02-2012, 10:50 PM
That is an ongoing issue they have been dealing with from the beginning and still can't correct it. They do know about it. I think our $75.00 test fee should be refunded because we are paying to take a test that does not even function properly.

turf hokie
03-03-2012, 08:46 AM
about the same issue ?

Yep, same issue. All I want to know is this. Since all my NJ licenses are reciprocated from NY, can I reciprocate this license as well.

I just want to write a check and not have to take a test and recertification classes that I already have taken in NY.

Maybe they dont know the answers but at least call back and let me know you have to look into it.

phasthound
03-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Yep, same issue. All I want to know is this. Since all my NJ licenses are reciprocated from NY, can I reciprocate this license as well.

I just want to write a check and not have to take a test and recertification classes that I already have taken in NY.

Maybe they dont know the answers but at least call back and let me know you have to look into it.

I guarantee you the answer is "no".

blk90s13
03-03-2012, 11:08 AM

Haha that would make your life much easier which is something they wont do anyway :laugh:

turf hokie
03-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I'm holding out hope that they will take my NY fertilizer license and my money without having to take the test.

Unlike you pessimists, My beer mug is half full!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

LB1234
03-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

and to the engineer the mug is twice as big as required.

ant
03-04-2012, 09:46 PM
how do i pay for a Trained Fertilizer Applicator? i dont see the link

TJLANDS
03-06-2012, 10:32 AM
I will say this about the new fertilizer law,
there is more coming,
among others
I will wager anything that within the next couple of years
bagging grass will be unlawful in NJ.

It is mentioned in the training material several times

blk90s13
03-06-2012, 07:54 PM
I will say this about the new fertilizer law,
there is more coming,
among others
I will wager anything that within the next couple of years
bagging grass will be unlawful in NJ.

It is mentioned in the training material several times

Would not surprise me its NJ after all :rolleyes:

phasthound
03-06-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm holding out hope that they will take my NY fertilizer license and my money without having to take the test.

Posted via Mobile Device

I'll bet you a couple of full mugs it's not reciprocal.:drinkup::drinkup:

TJLANDS
03-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Just another "vent".
With all the "smart" people in Trenton( pesticide Control) and "Rutgers"
and all the wasted regulations, its the one they didnt write that erks me.
Why dont they have the Suppliers look for licenses when someone purchases
more than say 1 propertys worth of Product.
I was thinking this as I saw three Nice immigrants loading 50 bags of Pre-m
into a rust bucket old truck and trailer with PA plates at a local supplier
in Ocean County.
Yes I have seen them before, yes they only do it on the side :laugh:, yes mostly Hasidics in Lakewood , No license, no nothing
but very easily stopped.

But WTF do I know.

TJLANDS
03-13-2012, 07:26 PM
wow got quiet around here,
Just FYI regarding this fert license,
Took a pesticide re certification course today,
68 people there,
8 knew of the license,
4 had the new license,
8 were from Pennsylvania,
which left 48 people that had no idea
and some had started already.

No Sh!t

turf hokie
03-13-2012, 07:52 PM
wow got quiet around here,
Just FYI regarding this fert license,
Took a pesticide re certification course today,
68 people there,
8 knew of the license,
4 had the new license,
8 were from Pennsylvania,
which left 48 people that had no idea
and some had started already.

No Sh!t

Does not surprise me, ignorance is bliss.....and probably more profitable too.....

ant
03-14-2012, 05:47 AM
http://profact.rutgers.edu/Pages/Certified-Applicators.aspx

TJLANDS
03-14-2012, 07:44 AM
http://profact.rutgers.edu/Pages/Certified-Applicators.aspx

yes it looks like 650 so far have passed the test
out of 4300 registered applicators

ant
03-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Where did u see 4300 applicants?
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet2
03-14-2012, 08:17 AM
i noticed that there are not that many that have passed the test. I was wondering where everybody was? It's only because of lawnsite that we found out about it. We were just talking about the same thing if venders were required to look for licencing that would force everybody to do the right thing. But then again they would lose alot of money! The non-licenced would go to Home depot or Lowes instead.

phasthound
03-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Vendors are not required to check for certification.

TJLANDS
03-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Where did u see 4300 applicants?
Posted via Mobile Device

Not applicants, licensed pesticide applicators .

Reg Louey, former DEP enforcement agent, and
recertification teacher

LB1234
03-25-2012, 11:00 AM
just report every last person you see applying without a license...the state is broke...they want the easy money.

TJLANDS
03-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Nobody is enforcing this "law"
There are several companies in my area, Jackson, that do between them over
500 lawns for fertilization etc.
They do not have the license and have already done their
entire first round.
A couple of them are even advertising in print a six step fertilizer program
that exceeds the new maximum allowed nitrogen .... by alot.

Nothing will happen

shovelracer
03-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Nobody is enforcing this "law"
There are several companies in my area, Jackson, that do between them over
500 lawns for fertilization etc.
They do not have the license and have already done their
entire first round.
A couple of them are even advertising in print a six step fertilizer program
that exceeds the new maximum allowed nitrogen .... by alot.

Nothing will happen

Just curious how you assume they are over the total N limit? Adding more services with less product is simple business sense. They are making money on service fee not product. This is why national companies are known for 30 step programs. OK maybe not 30, but the guy is there every 2 weeks for this or that. Actual fertilizer applied 4-5 times max. I'd bet actual N amounts under 3lbs. We are 5 step with optional 2 add ons and have great results in the 2-3 lb range on established lawns.

TJLANDS
03-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Just curious how you assume they are over the total N limit? Adding more services with less product is simple business sense. They are making money on service fee not product. This is why national companies are known for 30 step programs. OK maybe not 30, but the guy is there every 2 weeks for this or that. Actual fertilizer applied 4-5 times max. I'd bet actual N amounts under 3lbs. We are 5 step with optional 2 add ons and have great results in the 2-3 lb range on established lawns.

I am not assuming anything, one of the "techs" used to work for me.
He still doesn't have a clue.
And they take care of a friends house, a good friend.
I always keep up with my competition. that's just me.
Now they all might change the program, but as of now it is 6 apps of Fert
and a total of 8 sceduled visits.(plus service calls)
Now even if the argument above is mute, they still do not have the fertilizer
license.
That was my main point.

heritage
03-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Just received a letter from The DEP beginning Dear Pesticide applicator...........

It is a letter informing us that there is a "Fertilizer" License needed IF you apply fert to Lawns along with "Pesticides".....

So they are helping spread the word now about Profact.

lawns Etc
03-28-2012, 03:57 PM
I gave up last year on fert and chemicals I sub them all out now. I DO KNOW in Salem county they enforce all the time. Ive been stopped multi times in the last 5 yrs as recent as 2 weeks ago I was spreading lime and an agent came up to see what I was doing, I had to sign the form knowing that im not allowed to do pesticides and such. I used to have the license till last yr but its too much with the ins rider for chemicals and the headaches from the customers who want a miracle I just sub out to Superlawns now. They do a great job around here

Shades of Green LService
03-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Yep, got my letter as well. I was told that they most likely are not going to enforce this . However the next time the state DEP does an audit on you, you better have this Fert license. So i'm told...

turf hokie
03-30-2012, 03:45 PM
I have not gotten my letter:cry:

Sooo, I broke down and set myself up with a username etc.
the default password they sent my worked once, would not let me change to a more user friendly password and now I cant get back in at all:hammerhead:

Lets see how long it takes them to respond to my request for help....

turf hokie
03-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Got my letter, I feel special. And they got back to me on my email pretty quickly too!!! I will try my luck again tomorrow....love having to take a test for the privelage of paying a new business tax.
Posted via Mobile Device

LB1234
03-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Yep, got my letter as well. I was told that they most likely are not going to enforce this . However the next time the state DEP does an audit on you, you better have this Fert license. So i'm told...

i'm wondering by whom?

Shades of Green LService
03-31-2012, 03:29 PM
By a local JDL rep. Just his opinion.

caissy
05-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Does those laws also applies to Retailers and not applicators?

thanks

phasthound
05-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Does those laws also applies to Retailers and not applicators?

thanks

Retailers are required to follow parts of the law that applies to them.

caissy
05-10-2012, 03:46 PM
OK thanks, let's try to make this easier :)
In your knowledge is their a law restricting retail store to sell fertilizers or do they also have to get a registered and obtain a license?
thanks

phasthound
05-11-2012, 10:24 AM
OK thanks, let's try to make this easier :)
In your knowledge is their a law restricting retail store to sell fertilizers or do they also have to get a registered and obtain a license?
thanks

In NJ, no additional license or registration is required for retailers.
The following restrictions do apply for retail fertilizer sales:

11. a. No person may sell at retail specialty fertilizer which contains more than 0.7 pounds of water-soluble nitrogen or more than 0.9 pounds of total nitrogen per 1,000 square feet at least 20 percent of which shall consist of slow release nitrogen when applied pursuant to the instructions on the container and is intended for use on turf by consumers.
b. No person may sell at retail specialty fertilizer which contains phosphorus and is intended for use on turf by consumers unless the intended use of the fertilizer is:
(1) for application to specific soils and turf as determined to be necessary pursuant to a soil test conducted by a laboratory identified pursuant to subsection b. of section 6 of P.L. , c. and performed no more than three years before the application, and pursuant to the associated annual fertilizer recommendation issued by the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station at Rutgers, the State University;
(2) for the establishment of turf for the first time, such as after land disturbance, provided the application is in accordance with the standards and requirements established under the “Soil Erosion and Sediment Control Act,” P.L.1975, c.251 (C.4:24-39 et seq.), and the rules and regulations adopted pursuant thereto; or
(3) for the reestablishment or repair of a turf area.