PDA

View Full Version : starting problems Scag 48 Tiger Cub

BeeCreekLawns
12-18-2011, 12:41 AM
This is my first ztr that I just bought last week. 05' Tiger Cub 48 Advantage w/ 20 hp Kohler. It had to be jumped to demo it when I bought it. The seller said it needed a new battery. I have had the battery tested and it is fine. I basically have to charge the battery about every other time I start it. The initial time it took atleast a few hours to complete charge and now it just takes a few minutes each time.

I was reading on here about the open fuse holder problem. The top fuse holder and fuse were very corroded. The manual calls for two 20 amp fuses and it had a 20 and a 25. I didn't know what to clean it out with, so I hit it with the air compressor and replaced the fuse. I still get the same results.

I saw some of the waterproof fuse holders at Advanced Auto parts. The guy there was saying that you would have to sodder the wires back together and I figured this may be something I need to have the dealer do.

Is there anything else that I should check? (I have looked at all the wires and don't see anything) Any recommedations for cleaning the fuse holder? Would I have to sodder to put the new fuse holders on? Thanks.

piston slapper
12-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Replace the fuse holders using crimp on connectors.
Need engine model and spec number to help on the charging system.
Posted via Mobile Device

BeeCreekLawns
12-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. It is a model CV203 and spec 65597. The mower model number is SMTC - 48A. Thanks.

ed2hess
12-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Put your voltmeter across teh battery terminals and measure the voltage. Then start it up and see if it goes up to 13volts DC or more.

BeeCreekLawns
12-18-2011, 09:57 PM
I have never had the need for a voltmeter, so I don't have one. The charger I have does have a battery voltage/alternator check. I checked it after I charged it and it read 15. I should of thought to crank it up and do the alternator check but I was hung up on the fuse thing. Its too late to fire her up, so I will do that tomorrow and post the results. My charger says to do the alternator test with no load and then do it under load. Should I hit the pto for the under load check?

Hess: I picked up the Dewalt grinding wheel you recommended. It works so much better that what I was using. I even pulled some blades out of the scrap pile. Thanks.

BeeCreekLawns
12-19-2011, 12:36 PM
The engine fired up today with no problems. The reading when fully charged was 12.8. When the engine was running, it was at 14.1. I did the alternator check with no load and it said the alternator was good. I couldn't get the alternator check to work with the pto engaged for whatever reason.

It is raining so I didn't drive it around between trying to start it like before when I had the problems. With it sitting on the trailer, it started up every time. I guess I will have to play with it some more to see if there is still a problem. I am sure the corroded fuse and fuse holder was part of it. I will work on getting those replaced. Thanks.

ed2hess
12-19-2011, 10:29 PM
I had a difficult start problem with my Cub this year, it has 2300hrs. While I was trying to get to the bottom of it I got a pretty good Jumper Battery Pack from Sears. I carry it in the truck all the time. It is powerful enough to start the truck. Everytime the unit wouldn't start I put the battery pack on and started right up. The battery checked good at auto zone and alternator voltage was good. After going thru a starter switch, swapping relay, swapping starter, replaced fuses holders, replaced several interlocks, cleaned and put dielectric gel on all connectors nothing. Then one day I stopped and got a new battery and never had a problem since. Not sure how I went so far wrong.

BeeCreekLawns
12-20-2011, 01:21 AM
The power jumper sounds like a good idea. I will put that on the list. The battery it has will be a year old in april. I know the guy wasn't running the mower much this past year because of the drought and no irrigation. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Did all that stuff go out or were you just trying to narrow down the problem? I would assume you went with the marine fuse holder. I couldn't even see inside the fuse on mine cause it was so corroded. I am thinking that is pretty much a no brainer to replace.

BeeCreekLawns
12-20-2011, 09:46 PM
It was starting up like nothing yesterday while it sat on the trailer. I had to drive it off the trailer today to go do a mulch job and it fired right up. Sure enough, when I got home I had to charge it to put it back on the trailer. It seems the only time I am having a problem starting it is after it has been driven.