PDA

View Full Version : Echo HC-150 possible problem?

racer1970
12-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Hello first post here... I just bought a lightly used HC-150 and it runs great but it makes a sound like metallic clanking/banging when the cutter bars are moving... as if there where play in the cam that moves the cuter bars... I am new to these gas trimmers so I dont know if this is normal for them.

thank you in advance for your help.

Mark

Darryl G
12-19-2011, 12:57 AM
I recently bought a new HC-150 and the mechanic at the dealer warned me that the gearboxes on these units aren't very robust, are problematic, and that it's very important to keep them greased. I bought it anyway because I wanted a smaller lighter unit than my Shindaiwa 30 incher and the price was right. You shouldn't hear any "clanking/banging"...that sure doesn't sound normal.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-19-2011, 12:59 AM
Pump the gear box full of grease?

racer1970
12-19-2011, 01:05 AM
i did forget to mention i did grease it.... i put at least 8-10 pumps it in and seemed to help a bit... maybe it needs a bit more. how do you know it has the correct amount of grease? can you put too much in? can it be over filled to the point of it getting to the clutch? as this could be vary bad.

thanks again

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-19-2011, 01:12 AM
Could have some metal wear already from it not being greased, but I'd pump it full till you see it coming out the sides.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Which may be a little excessive but it could have been dry, who knows

GlynnC
12-19-2011, 01:33 AM
The operating manual states 1 to 2 pumps (grease gun) every 15 - 20 hours of operation. You can find the manual on Echo website www.echo-usa.com.

I've owned 1 of these for several years, had very good service from it. Also seems to get high marks on this forum.

Have you adjusted the tension on the blades? You can also find this procedure in the operating manual.

CircleC
12-20-2011, 01:24 AM
gotta spray a little fluid film on the blades every now and again. when you are cutting the blades will get dry/gritty from trimming. keeping them lubed will help with the rubbing of the blades. those trimmers are made for shaping and dont do so well when removing larger limbs.

racer1970
12-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Thank you all for your help and input.... after greasing it up it seems a little quieter so we will have to run it and see.