PDA

View Full Version : Using my business name for their search

txirrigation
12-19-2011, 12:56 PM
About once a week I google my own business name to keep up with reviews, and to make sure no one has made false reviews against me. I have caught and prosecuted a few competitors for liable along the way by doing this.

Recently I noticed that one of my competitors was using my business name as a search query for his website. He was also using it for his adwards campaign.

I guess this is kind of a complement, but I would like to shake it. I am assuming that if I mention it to him at one of the assoc. meetings that would be enough to make him deny and remove. If not I was going to send an email calling him out on it.

I do not think that there is anything illegal about it, but to me it just seems wrong.

Anything I can do here?

mitchgo
12-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Send him a letter asking him to stop? The internet is the wild wild west I don't think you can do much about it. I could be wrong though.

I would worry about angie list reviews more then general online reviews

DanaMac
12-19-2011, 01:16 PM
There is nothing wrong with it. I have the words Rainbird, Hunter, and some others in my campaigns. Sure, they are not my competitor, but they may not want other businesses utilizing their large brand name. I personally don't think what he is doing is something to worry about.

On another note, I've mentioned over the years of a local company that has a name extremely similar to my company name. It is very general and generic, and people confuse them with my company. My company ends in Etc., Inc, where theirs ends in just Inc. I have purchased the domain name for their company and have it redirect straight to my website. Nothing wrong with it, it still has all the words for within my company name, minus one.

Wet_Boots
12-19-2011, 01:31 PM
you sneaky barstid you :rolleyes:

txirrigation
12-19-2011, 01:55 PM
There is nothing wrong with it. I have the words Rainbird, Hunter, and some others in my campaigns. Sure, they are not my competitor, but they may not want other businesses utilizing their large brand name. I personally don't think what he is doing is something to worry about.

On another note, I've mentioned over the years of a local company that has a name extremely similar to my company name. It is very general and generic, and people confuse them with my company. My company ends in Etc., Inc, where theirs ends in just Inc. I have purchased the domain name for their company and have it redirect straight to my website. Nothing wrong with it, it still has all the words for within my company name, minus one.

I had the same problem with a company opening a business with almost the same name as mine. I filed a complaint with the state, and they had to forfit thier name, as it clearly states in the laws you cannot have a name that is too close to anothers where it may cause confustion (in legal jargon of course) They had a business name like "Joes Irrigaiton" but then started a DBA that was the same as mine just without the LLC.

Protecting your repuation is one of the most important parts of business.

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Yeah like Dana says nothing wrong with it and SEO consultants recommend it. Type Rain Master, TRC Commander, Promax UA, along with about 400 more keywords and every potential misspelling ........

Sprinkus
12-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Like "romete pigtial"?
You still come out at the top of the list on google. :clapping:

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-19-2011, 05:47 PM
It's my down to earth blogs ;-/
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
12-19-2011, 08:14 PM
One of my (many) ex employees thought he was going to make a run at me. He called his business "Budget Irrigation" and had the brass to cruise down to one of my clients and try to grab the gig: they called the cops.

txirrigation
12-19-2011, 08:25 PM
One of my (many) ex employees thought he was going to make a run at me. He called his business "Budget Irrigation" and had the brass to cruise down to one of my clients and try to grab the gig: they called the cops.

Luckily I know Spanish, and my guys don't know English.... I do not have that problem.

Mike Leary
12-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Luckily I know Spanish, and my guys don't know English.... I do not have that problem.

That will change, if what's happened up north starts affecting you. All of a sudden, we had competition from guys that spoke fair English, had fresh trucks and underbid all of us. :cry:

txirrigation
12-19-2011, 08:46 PM
That will change, if what's happened up north starts affecting you. All of a sudden, we had competition from guys that spoke fair English, had fresh trucks and underbid all of us. :cry:

True, but they come and go and builders know that.

The good builders know that sticking with a gringo pays off in warranties. Sprinklers are the last thing installed, you dont want them to be the biggest problem when you just built a 5 mil dollar house.

Mike Leary
12-19-2011, 08:55 PM
The good builders know that sticking with a gringo pays off in warranties. Sprinklers are the last thing installed, you dont want them to be the biggest problem when you just built a 5 mil dollar house.

Yup, never affected me . But the medium-end and lower boys are getting the message about their competition.