PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Rakes

ribit
12-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Does anyone know of a good leaf rake. I am constantly snapping mine in two pieces. Even the expensive one's. Thanks.

professional
12-20-2011, 06:46 AM
I use a no-clog leaf rake. Got them at Home Depot. I say them, because I did break the handle on the first one I bought. I've had them for about six years. They really do work. I use the broken one around tighter areas since the handle no longer gets in the way. They work great together as big hands when picking up the piles of leaves and sticks. You never have to clean out the tines and they do not pick up much of the mulch in mulched beds.

sbvfd592
12-20-2011, 08:47 AM
I Use rakes from a local supplier but I think the brand is MID-West Rake. last year we snapped 16 handles this year 5 with more work......

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
12-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Stainless steel rakes from Lowe's
Posted via Mobile Device

JNyz
12-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Why don't you just buy some from Sears and when they break, take them back.

Thanksman
12-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Why don't you just buy some from Sears and when they break, take them back.sounds like thats a plan

bradsmowing
12-20-2011, 08:55 PM
sears is the way to go

Km81
12-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Why don't you just buy some from Sears and when they break, take them back.

Same deal at Home Depot with the Ames rakes. 10 year warranty, and they swap them out on the spot

weeze
12-20-2011, 10:03 PM
i have a no clog leaf rake i got at walmart i think...it's yellow and black....i think stanley makes it...the rake part is black plastic and the handle is fiberglass...had it for years never broken a handle on a rake in my life lol.

cvcook
12-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Been using Sears for years!

Roger
12-21-2011, 08:31 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=2000422&postcount=4

This post was made four years ago. I still use the two older ones on the left for bed work (worn, so less bite). The two new ones continue to be used heavily (used both of them on Monday with heavy raking in beds covered with ground cover). The rakes are used often during the leaf season, and also for bush trimming cleanup.

In 16 years, I have never broken a handle. My assessment: If you break a rake handle, you are using the rake for purposes not intended.

I also have two pitchforks, one 5-tine, the other 4-tine. When the work gets heavy (e.g. wet leaves), the pitchforks are the instrument of choice. Also, I have a 12-tine silage fork for working with sopping wet leaves, or other large scale heavy duty work.

grassman177
12-21-2011, 01:44 PM
we have some steel tines for leaves when doing curbside, like those best.

never broken a handle, but the large fan plastic ones we prefer break all the time on the rake part. i have some ergo handles i keep that are aluminum i got years ago, and replace the rake head about every year or two with one from ace, or similar.

bobcat48
12-21-2011, 06:19 PM
I have quite a bit of leaf rakes my best is a steel kobalt 24'' one this is great,best i have used GET One..i love it usually greensweeper rake or similar,cheaper ones i got like from garage sales or hardware stores lol but spend much on hand tools usually no more than $30 for shovels and stuff of that and i have a lesco rake the steel tine kind older but i dont know where it is have it find it sometime before lawn season if i can steel is the best.

THEGOLDPRO
12-21-2011, 06:33 PM
We buy the steel tine ones and replace the cheap handles with hard rake handles, We havent broke a rake in 3 years. The hard rake handles are like 8 bucks at the hard ware store. and are almost twice as thick.

hotwired
05-08-2012, 01:07 PM
I experience similar frustration. I'm used to plastic 24" flat ended rakes. I put oak handles on them but now the plastic is cheap and they break easily. The ones I used to get from Landscaper's Supply were Ames I think ... I can't find them anymore locally. In fact I cannot find ANY 24" plastic flat ended rake at all, they're all fancy, with zig zag handles, cupped 30" fans, etc. Does anyone know of a good source for the good ol' fashioned ones? I do see some of you using the kodiak metal ones. I always felt the tines were too skinny to rake really well (material wise) could I be wrong? Are they popular for spring and fall cleanup?? Thanks!

lcfd8
05-08-2012, 09:34 PM
We use to use Bamboo rakes made by McGuire. These rakes were GREAT!! They were made in 3 sizes 30,24 and 18". The 18" was the best for fine work and also cleaning up after the yearly snow plow mess. Cant find theses rakes anymore, they must have gone out of business. I use the Ames from home depot but they always break!!!

SDLandscapes VT
05-08-2012, 11:06 PM
A M Leonard--lifetime warranty