PDA

View Full Version : Consequences of Lawn Care Insurance?

bluebonnet
12-20-2011, 07:08 AM
I am preparing to purchase business insurance for my first lawn care business.

Is it wise to mention in one's marketing ads (flyers, Craigslist, etc.) for lawn care service that he/she is "Insured"? I'm posing this question out of concern over fraudulent "customers" who will have services rendered and then turn around to file a lawsuit over fabricated damages.

Obviously, if I mess up I will fess up and take care of the matter professionally. However, is the paranoia mentioned above have merit? Please advise. Thank you.

Landscape Poet
12-20-2011, 07:54 AM
I am preparing to purchase business insurance for my first lawn care business.

Is it wise to mention in one's marketing ads (flyers, Craigslist, etc.) for lawn care service that he/she is "Insured"? I'm posing this question out of concern over fraudulent "customers" who will have services rendered and then turn around to file a lawsuit over fabricated damages.

Obviously, if I mess up I will fess up and take care of the matter professionally. However, is the paranoia mentioned above have merit? Please advise. Thank you.

I do not feel that enough potential customers care when looking at ads that you are insured. I think you can break customers down into categories like - price only, quality only, value customer, etc etc.

With that said - I feel most customers just assume you have insurance since you are operating as a business. I have only had one residential customer ever ask me about insurance. Commercial of course will require it.

So with all that said- insurance is not going to be a key item to sell your services from a ad so it is not worth highlighting IMHO.

I would suggest if you are in a area that this should really be of that big of concern (that the customer would try to make false claims) that you be very selective what customer you are willing to work on their property. Not to say it does not happen, but it should not be happening with frequency that you have to be overly concerned about it.

Patriot Services
12-20-2011, 08:37 AM
I do not feel that enough potential customers care when looking at ads that you are insured. I think you can break customers down into categories like - price only, quality only, value customer, etc etc.

With that said - I feel most customers just assume you have insurance since you are operating as a business. I have only had one residential customer ever ask me about insurance. Commercial of course will require it.

So with all that said- insurance is not going to be a key item to sell your services from a ad so it is not worth highlighting IMHO.

I would suggest if you are in a area that this should really be of that big of concern (that the customer would try to make false claims) that you be very selective what customer you are willing to work on their property. Not to say it does not happen, but it should not be happening with frequency that you have to be overly concerned about it.

Agree 100%. Many consumers are unaware that if an uninsured contractor gets hurt on their property they and their homeowners insurance could be on the line.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
12-20-2011, 08:49 AM
I list licensed/insured on my ads to differentiate myself from "Joe Pickup Truck". I guess it's unnecessary if you're also listing a company name...as it's kind of assumed that if you have a company name you're a legitimate business and now someone working under the table for beer money.

bluebonnet
12-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

bluebonnet
12-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks so much to you who've replied immediately! Fortunately, or rather unfortunately, here in Dallas, Tx I'm wanting to use the insurance as a major selling point. I'm assuming that there are many around here who aren't insured and just going for broke. As a matter of fact, one guy that wanted to partner up with me told me it isn't necessary and his reasoning is because everyone else doesn't care to be insured. I said yeah right and made it a point not to work with the dude. Partnerships can be a real mess anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
12-20-2011, 11:20 AM
I mention that we are insured and liceansed for all services we offer on all of my marketting material. I have nice Tri-folds for marketting I give with each proposal and that i hand out to potential customers aswll. The Tri-fold goes into explaining out services and what sets us apart. One whole page of the tri-fold is about our liceasnes, certifications, and insurance. It goes into detail to explain why insurance is important and how to check that any contractor hired is properly insured for those services.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-20-2011, 11:22 AM
OP u r a bit paranoid. Just make up a nice flyer promoting your biz and move on:)

Patriot Services
12-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks so much to you who've replied immediately! Fortunately, or rather unfortunately, here in Dallas, Tx I'm wanting to use the insurance as a major selling point. I'm assuming that there are many around here who aren't insured and just going for broke. As a matter of fact, one guy that wanted to partner up with me told me it isn't necessary and his reasoning is because everyone else doesn't care to be insured. I said yeah right and made it a point not to work with the dude. Partnerships can be a real mess anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good call on not getting into a partnership. Insurance is a very good idea, however it wont get you increased business per se. Commercial bids will usually require proof of GL inthe bid package.:usflag:

Dr.NewEarth
12-20-2011, 01:40 PM
The minute I walk onto a property, I open my binder for the client and show them my insurance documents and my workers compensation papers. I tell them that I am covered right now as we tour their property.

If a potential client is having three estimates done and the other two companies come in all straggly looking and unprofessional, who is the client going to remember?

They still may choose to go with a low baller or an amateur, but at least you have done your "due dilligence."