PDA

View Full Version : Green under snow

RigglePLC
12-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Did you ever wonder whether or not grass stays green and grows under snow? Axe suggested that it remains green until spring. I suspect he is correct. For cool-season grasses: Perhaps grass stays green and turns brown only in spring when it is exposed to wind when the soil is still frozen. And then it takes about 4 weeks to greenup again, which is normally about April 15, although snow melts about March 10th, around here. If you are still reading...

Certain areas of my lawn have gone slightly yellow--perhaps more ryegrass in those areas. Low-quality grass of neighbor's lawns is a bit more brownish.

This photo is from the first week of December, in Michigan. Two inches of snow fell a few days ago. And then I uncovered it for the photo. Grass remained green. And then snow melted; most grass is green on December 20; this is very unusual to have no snow at this date here. I plan to uncover the area every few weeks this winter.

My wife shovels the drive--I shovel the grass--makes perfect sense to me.

Smallaxe
12-27-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't know if you got snow on your side of the Lake , but right here we don't have enough to completely cover the ground...
We've approached 0 deg.F. but have been relatively mild as in , overnite lows in the teens.
Right now the grass is still green and the ground is frozen...

It will be fun to see how long the grass can go w/out browning, without snow... :)

bigslick7878
12-27-2011, 04:28 PM
If you have grass and not weeds it will stay green, at least early in the year. Bitter cold temps will turn it slightly if there is no snowpack, but if the snowpack doesn't melt it should stay green.

Smallaxe
01-02-2012, 07:49 AM
The Winter has taken another step forward... We got a little more snow cover, mostly in the form of sleet so it is a very 'crusty' element that barely covers the grass... Tonite we are supposed to get close to 0 degrees F., with minor dusting tomorrow...

I have also noticed that the outside branches of the J. Yews are of a light color green while the interior of the same plant is a much darker green by contrast... I wonder if that is going to signal 'winterkill' by Spring???