PDA

View Full Version : vacationing in Florida

c3wlandscaping
12-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Hey all. Sorry for busting in on your page. I am looking to bring my kids down there on vacation. Looking to rent a house on the beach but every place I call is all sales. Don't wanna do Disney or anything like that. Looking to relax and do some fishing. This would be in April. Before clean ups and after snow. Any help is much appreciated. Looking forward to green grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
12-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Hey all. Sorry for busting in on your page. I am looking to bring my kids down there on vacation. Looking to rent a house on the beach but every place I call is all sales. Don't wanna do Disney or anything like that. Looking to relax and do some fishing. This would be in April. Before clean ups and after snow. Any help is much appreciated. Looking forward to green grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Locations that you would like to visit would be good. I am going to suggest Sanibel Island as it is everything you think of when you think of a FL beach. The island is truly small - and from what I seen there the activities of nightlife, shopping etc are truly limited, but if you just want a place to get away and spend time with family and relax and enjoy our weather....this is a good place to get away from it all.

Look at this if it interest you.
http://sanibel-island-condo-rentals.com/index.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=sanibel+island&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=uyXyTp-3GMSJtwfv_InQBg&sqi=2&ved=0CJQBELAE&biw=1639&bih=771

bugsNbows
12-21-2011, 02:48 PM
+1 on Sanibel.

jvanvliet
12-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Long Boat Key, Venice, Singer Island...

How long you coming down for? Houses command seasonal rates as much as 4-5 X the rental rate for year round, the shorter your stay, the higher the rate.

I'd see about getting time sharing plan, you should be able to purchase somebodies time directly, check Craigs list.

Ric
12-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Locations that you would like to visit would be good. I am going to suggest Sanibel Island as it is everything you think of when you think of a FL beach. The island is truly small - and from what I seen there the activities of nightlife, shopping etc are truly limited, but if you just want a place to get away and spend time with family and relax and enjoy our weather....this is a good place to get away from it all.

Look at this if it interest you.
http://sanibel-island-condo-rentals.com/index.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=sanibel+island&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=uyXyTp-3GMSJtwfv_InQBg&sqi=2&ved=0CJQBELAE&biw=1639&bih=771

Yo

Sanibel is in my Back Yard and I can make Sanibel in under an Hour by boat and 5 hours by car in traffic season. The big problem is Sanibel is a Traffic Jam Nightmare. Sanibel is a Tourist Mecca or Trap depending on how you look at it

Landscape Poet
12-21-2011, 06:33 PM
check Craigs list.

I would check this if you are feel secure about it. There are always people looking to get back to a location close to there home for a period of time or just a get away and they know having a FL home they can make the trades.
I have never personally done it because I am not sure I would like someone having access to all my personal belongings and information etc. but if it is something that your feel comfortable with it does work from what I understand.

The key of course if having a place that people would find attractive to visit in return.

c3wlandscaping
12-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Just comming down for a week. I deal with people all the time So I would prefer not to be around the people I deal with everyday. If ya know what I mean. Pita. I am more so looking for a place I can have a camp fire at night. That kind of place. Not high dollar resort where your treated like kings and queens. I hope ya all know what I mean. And thank u so much for all the help
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
12-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Just comming down for a week. I deal with people all the time So I would prefer not to be around the people I deal with everyday. If ya know what I mean. Pita. I am more so looking for a place I can have a camp fire at night. That kind of place. Not high dollar resort where your treated like kings and queens. I hope ya all know what I mean. And thank u so much for all the help
Posted via Mobile Device

You can forget the camp fire. South Florida is semi Tropical and has the Typical Wet and Dry season of the Tropics. April is the heart of the dry season and Wild Fire time. If you want a fire be sure there is a real fire place that is well protected and legal to burn in at that time of year.

You might want to check out Englewood Beach. It is more of a retirement area with very little tourist attractions but a nice Beach with best clear Blue water on the Gulf Coast and Lemon Bay back water for great flats fishing or crabbing etc. Traffic in April is going to be heavy all over Florida because of Spring Break. But IMHO Englewood is still a relatively unknown area to tourist. Venice to the North is a Bigger city and more congested, Boca Grande to the south is Rockefeller/Vanderbilt country but has the same Beautiful waters and Beaches as Sarasota which is to the North.

Greg Amann
12-21-2011, 09:09 PM
We love Sanibel Island. Their off season is the summer months. We have stayed here http://www.blind-pass.com/ 4 out of the last 6 years and love it. Fishing off the beach in front of the condos is great during the summer. Not sure if the snook will be as good in April. Ding Darling park on the island is also good for fishing. They have a wildlife drive I'm guessing about 7 miles long. I usually pack a couple of rods in the car and stop at the culvert pipe runoff areas to fish. Caught a couple of nice redfish there last summer. Snook, spanish mackeral and trout are caught at the pass a mile north of Blind Pass condos.
We love the restaurants on both Sanibel and Captiva Islands. Doc Ford's, Island Cow, The Bubble Room, and Timbers to list a few.

Ric
12-22-2011, 08:08 AM
We love Sanibel Island. Their off season is the summer months. We have stayed here http://www.blind-pass.com/ 4 out of the last 6 years and love it. Fishing off the beach in front of the condos is great during the summer. Not sure if the snook will be as good in April. Ding Darling park on the island is also good for fishing. They have a wildlife drive I'm guessing about 7 miles long. I usually pack a couple of rods in the car and stop at the culvert pipe runoff areas to fish. Caught a couple of nice redfish there last summer. Snook, spanish mackeral and trout are caught at the pass a mile north of Blind Pass condos.
We love the restaurants on both Sanibel and Captiva Islands. Doc Ford's, Island Cow, The Bubble Room, and Timbers to list a few.

Greg

I know you and Rick both love Sanibel. But the key words in your statement are OFF SEASON. Try driving on the Island during spring break and you would have a totally different attitude about a Sanibel High Season vacation.

Remember I live close enough to Sanibel to see it at it's best and worst. The OP is asking for a place where he doesn't have to deal with people. Sanibel is the last place he needs to vacation in High Season.

Too bad you don't have a Boat here in Florida. Cay Costa is a island only excessable by boat and also a state park. It is just a few miles North of Sanibel with Sand Bottom clear Gulf water that is cleaner than Sanibel. Cay Costa doesn't have any tourtist traps and might offer you a more quite vacation away from people. It would be more of a camping in the ruff type experience.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/cayocosta/

zturncutter
12-27-2011, 07:17 PM
My vote, http://www.floridastateparks.org/longkey/default.cfm

You can camp right on the beach and have a campfire, snorkle and see corals and sponges, lots of fish, dive if you are certified, go fishing, they also have cabins. One of my favorite places in the world. :clapping:

unkownfl
12-27-2011, 07:41 PM
If you're flying it may be better to go to the keys and fly into Miami. I know you can rent efficiency pretty cheap for around $120 a night 2 beds 2 baths. I stay in Islamorada which is like 2 hours from Miami with traffic and the best fishing in the US in my opinion. You can literally be in 500ft of water and see shore. If you can squeeze into march you can get lobster which is a must do in the keys. West coast you would have to go 30-40 miles. SWFL is just to expensive and not really kid friendly. I lived in Iona and could see sanibel/captiva. It's a busy place in April as ric stated. I know Ft Myers beach has rentals too but as I said before it really isn't kid friendly IMHO. Everything is closed at dark. To bad you can't make it for scallop season in July then Homosassa is very nice old Florida.

fl-landscapes
12-27-2011, 09:50 PM
If you're flying it may be better to go to the keys and fly into Miami. I know you can rent efficiency pretty cheap for around $120 a night 2 beds 2 baths. I stay in Islamorada which is like 2 hours from Miami with traffic and the best fishing in the US in my opinion. You can literally be in 500ft of water and see shore. If you can squeeze into march you can get lobster which is a must do in the keys. West coast you would have to go 30-40 miles. SWFL is just to expensive and not really kid friendly. I lived in Iona and could see sanibel/captiva. It's a busy place in April as ric stated. I know Ft Myers beach has rentals too but as I said before it really isn't kid friendly IMHO. Everything is closed at dark. To bad you can't make it for scallop season in July then Homosassa is very nice old Florida.

Islamorada I believe holds more igfa fishing records than any other place on earth
Posted via Mobile Device

capelawncare.com
12-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Greg

I know you and Rick both love Sanibel. But the key words in your statement are OFF SEASON. Try driving on the Island during spring break and you would have a totally different attitude about a Sanibel High Season vacation.

Remember I live close enough to Sanibel to see it at it's best and worst. The OP is asking for a place where he doesn't have to deal with people. Sanibel is the last place he needs to vacation in High Season.

Too bad you don't have a Boat here in Florida. Cay Costa is a island only excessable by boat and also a state park. It is just a few miles North of Sanibel with Sand Bottom clear Gulf water that is cleaner than Sanibel. Cay Costa doesn't have any tourtist traps and might offer you a more quite vacation away from people. It would be more of a camping in the ruff type experience.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/cayocosta/

Ditto on Cayo Costa. if you want to get away from Everything ( and I do mean everything) Cayo Costa is the place.

You dont need a boat, though, you can catch a water taxi from Pine Island.

fl-landscapes
12-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Ditto on Cayo Costa. if you want to get away from Everything ( and I do mean everything) Cayo Costa is the place.

You dont need a boat, though, you can catch a water taxi from Pine Island.

I was able to get out in my boat today for this first time in a while. I cruised by caya costa and happened to snap a photo. As you can see the beaches are beautiful and no crowds. There isnt much to do on caya costa but relax but maybe thats what your looking for.

greendoctor
12-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Nice shot. You come to Hawaii now, it is gusty and stormy. No sun. It has been that way this time of the year ever since BHO has chosen to vacation here at Christmas and New Year. I wonder if it is a sign.

fl-landscapes
12-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Nice shot. You come to Hawaii now, it is gusty and stormy. No sun. It has been that way this time of the year ever since BHO has chosen to vacation here at Christmas and New Year. I wonder if it is a sign.

It was flat calm out there today. That was the outside in the gulf, the inside was glass. The shot was just a cell phone pic to tease my friends back home in chilli massachussetts
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
12-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks. I have been living with 30-40 MPH winds since November. My clients are starting to get anxious because that is not the kind of weather I will apply in. Not a TG/CL franchise.

fl-landscapes
12-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks. I have been living with 30-40 MPH winds since November. My clients are starting to get anxious because that is not the kind of weather I will apply in. Not a TG/CL franchise.

That blows :)
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
12-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Tgcl can spray in 50 mph, remember dyhydrogen oxide doesnt cause collateral damage
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
12-30-2011, 05:24 PM
A move like that would probably put me out of business and fast. Not from customers cancelling. Try the DOA auditing and citing. You see, if a concerned, conscientious citizen calls, they have to audit. More than one call in a 6 month period and I get a fine. They do not care if it was only dihydrogen monoxide. Spray drift is a big issue here.

fl-landscapes
12-30-2011, 05:29 PM
A move like that would probably put me out of business and fast. Not from customers cancelling. Try the DOA auditing and citing. You see, if a concerned, conscientious citizen calls, they have to audit. More than one call in a 6 month period and I get a fine. They do not care if it was only dihydrogen monoxide. Spray drift is a big issue here.

I know, I was joking. No doubt wind can be a real problem and it sounds like your getting more than your fair share.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
12-30-2011, 05:34 PM
I knew you were. That was for the benefit of others who think it is some kind of game to spray in the wind. The DOA does not know me other than the fact that I am listed as a commercial applicator. According to them, there are many others they know as violators of WPS and drift prevention.

fl-landscapes
12-30-2011, 06:35 PM
I knew you were. That was for the benefit of others who think it is some kind of game to spray in the wind. The DOA does not know me other than the fact that I am listed as a commercial applicator. According to them, there are many others they know as violators of WPS and drift prevention.

Just the way you want to keep it.
Posted via Mobile Device

keithslawnc
12-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Fl- landscapes can i make the run from Pine island to Cayo Costa in an Duracraft 18ft aluminum boat. It is extra wide with high gunnels. it is also a jet drive and will run in less then 12" of water all day long. I would like to take the family there in the early spring. Also how is the fishing around the park in late March. Thanks

Ric
12-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Fl- landscapes can i make the run from Pine island to Cayo Costa in an Duracraft 18ft aluminum boat. It is extra wide with high gunnels. it is also a jet drive and will run in less then 12" of water all day long. I would like to take the family there in the early spring. Also how is the fishing around the park in late March. Thanks

Keith

The back side of Cay Costa is the Inter-coastal. When I lived in Boca Grande I had friends who lived on both Pine Island and Cay Costa. They came to Boca by 16 & 18 ft boats all the time. However the weather can kick up from time to time. Most days you should be fine.

keithslawnc
12-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks Ric

fl-landscapes
12-31-2011, 01:04 PM

Like ric said, that's an easy run for you in that boat. If weather is nice and seas flat go out captive pass and enjoy the gulf side beaches all the way to cay a costa. No rocks to worry about so you can pull your boat right up on the beach or just anchor close to shore and swim in. I love it out there! Fishing is pretty good year round. March may be the start of tarpon season which boca grande is known to be the best tarpon fishing in the world. Just eat your wheaties because they will wear you down
Posted via Mobile Device

gregory
12-31-2011, 07:57 PM
i would say stay away from ft myers beach that time of year. march and april is spring break down here. the locals steer clear of the beach that time of the year. like ric said unless you like to sit in traffic for hrs on in...

cayo costa is a nice place...sanibel is nice also but very small.. if your looking for some R&R cayo costa is the place both sanibel and ft myers beach will be a mad house that time of year...

i havent been to the beach in yrs.. spent alot of time there in high school and right after high school but you'd have to pay me to go down there now...

Ric
01-01-2012, 08:50 AM
i would say stay away from ft myers beach that time of year. march and april is spring break down here. the locals steer clear of the beach that time of the year. like ric said unless you like to sit in traffic for hrs on in...

cayo costa is a nice place...sanibel is nice also but very small.. if your looking for some R&R cayo costa is the place both sanibel and ft myers beach will be a mad house that time of year...

i havent been to the beach in yrs.. spent alot of time there in high school and right after high school but you'd have to pay me to go down there now...

Karl

Because of the Phosphate Docks Boca Grande had tons of microbes that glow in the dark. Back in the day, swimming at night was extra fun because you would glowed green when you got out of the water. Even today watching a boat wake you can see the Microbes glowing at night. The effect went North to South Venice Beach but not very far south of Cay Costa.

Of course back then there were miles and miles of open beach. You could do anything on the beach, and Did. Today there are too many private Beaches and the Public Beaches are patrolled heavy now.

fl-landscapes
01-01-2012, 09:10 AM
South seas plantation is a great place! http://www.southseas.com/?src=ppc_google_brand_179leadrate(phrase)&gclid=COCw5ZuAr60CFVSR7QodQjFzlg
Posted via Mobile Device

gregory
01-01-2012, 09:56 AM
lol its funny you say that ric. i remember back in high school we used to have kegs on the ft myers bench. yea you would think a bunch of high school kids running around on the beach with a keg of beer in a trash can with ice would draw some attenion but back in the day it didnt. this was in 88-90. things are little different down there like you said. i've had my days down there and have no need to go back.. if i was to go stay at a beach it would be in another town..

gregory
01-01-2012, 10:00 AM
southseas is a very nice place went to a wedding there...

badbart
01-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Look at the north Florida Gulf coast...Destin is very nice. They have many suitable rentals available in a wide array of prices.