PDA

View Full Version : Turfco LS-22 overseeder not impressed

turf&tree
12-21-2011, 05:35 PM
I bought this unit in the spring and have used it most of the season but really heavily in the fall. I hate the fact that it is supposed to pull itself instead of being self propelled. It hits a high spot and stalls, in a low spot no slicing occurs. Does anyone have one of these that can offer advice or comments. Or what is a better model/manufacturer. Maybe I will sell it. Not too crazy with the sod cutter either.

Darryl G
12-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Sounds a lot like the seeders I've used (Bluebird and Husqvarna).

turf&tree
12-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Those are really heavy and bulky. Especially the Blubird Sod cutter.

CL&T
12-21-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm not real happy with any of the overseeders that drop the seed in front of the cutters. Most of it winds up in the chaff, maybe less so if you use the machine to dethatch first and remove what that produces but still not good. Better to just use a dethatcher set low enough to cut, remove the chaff, overseed with a spreader then water in.

Smallaxe
12-22-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm not real happy with any of the overseeders that drop the seed in front of the cutters. Most of it winds up in the chaff, maybe less so if you use the machine to dethatch first and remove what that produces but still not good. Better to just use a dethatcher set low enough to cut, remove the chaff, overseed with a spreader then water in.

If you're going to just broadcast on the surface, it's better to leave the chaff for cover, with or without dethatching...

CL&T
12-22-2011, 09:47 AM
If you're going to just broadcast on the surface, it's better to leave the chaff for cover, with or without dethatching...
True but the idea is to use the overseeder or dethatcher to verticut the soil and put the seed in the cuts. A once over with most overseeders isn't going to do that because the seed gets dropped on the undisturbed thatch which then gets raked up by the cutters- unless the turf is very thin. So most of your seed winds up in the loose chaff that you clean up. The only overseeder that drops the seed behind the cutters into the cuts that I know of is the Ryan but even then you should dethatch and remove the loose chaff that that produces first then overseed. There will still be plenty of chaff left to cover the seed.

turfcobob
12-22-2011, 04:14 PM
I have to jump in here and make a few comments.
The seed in the chaff is not a problem as when you hit the lawn with water the seed and dirt in the chaff or loose grass moves down to the lowest spot i.e. the slits. This is the method that has be taught in Turf Schools for decades. Why because it works. I would combine it with a double pass of Aeration. Thatch can also be a problem as this is what creates the "Chaff" This also depends on how much thatch is pulled up. Test first and if the thatch is more than .05 inches thick remove it first.

You should always go across the lawn twice at a 45 degree angle to each other. This accomplishes several things.
1. removes dirt and thatch to expose soil.
2. the second pass assures full coverage i.e. go over the lawn once and measue your remaining seed. Adjust seed flow up or down to accomplish an even seed coverage on the lawn.
3. second pass will wipe out any misses from the first pass

Concerning the blades on the Turfco digging on high spots and missing low spots. This is common to all seeders except the larger golf type units such as the TriWave that has floating heads. The blade reels are 24 inches long and straight so they will miss low spots and dig deep on high spots. This works to you advantage if you want to level a rough lawn. I have done this to level a washed out fescue lawn.

Concerning the seed being placed in the slit by the Ryan Mataway overseeder. This simply is not true. The seeds are placed close to the slit so they will wash in when watered. That is one of the functions of the disc blades in the rear. However when they get wet, damp or covered in any debris they tend to toss the seeds forward not guiding them into the the slits.

I can speak with authority on both the Turfco and the Ryan as I was involved in the design and testing of both units. That means I have been doing this for way too long. Glad to discuss all this just call me. 520.836.8162

CL&T
12-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Bob, your expert advice is much appreciated!

Darryl G
12-22-2011, 05:26 PM
I have to jump in here and make a few comments.
The seed in the chaff is not a problem as when you hit the lawn with water the seed and dirt in the chaff or loose grass moves down to the lowest spot i.e. the slits. This is the method that has be taught in Turf Schools for decades. Why because it works. I would combine it with a double pass of Aeration. Thatch can also be a problem as this is what creates the "Chaff" This also depends on how much thatch is pulled up. Test first and if the thatch is more than .05 inches thick remove it first.

You should always go across the lawn twice at a 45 degree angle to each other. This accomplishes several things.
1. removes dirt and thatch to expose soil.
2. the second pass assures full coverage i.e. go over the lawn once and measue your remaining seed. Adjust seed flow up or down to accomplish an even seed coverage on the lawn.
3. second pass will wipe out any misses from the first pass

Concerning the blades on the Turfco digging on high spots and missing low spots. This is common to all seeders except the larger golf type units such as the TriWave that has floating heads. The blade reels are 24 inches long and straight so they will miss low spots and dig deep on high spots. This works to you advantage if you want to level a rough lawn. I have done this to level a washed out fescue lawn.

Concerning the seed being placed in the slit by the Ryan Mataway overseeder. This simply is not true. The seeds are placed close to the slit so they will wash in when watered. That is one of the functions of the disc blades in the rear. However when they get wet, damp or covered in any debris they tend to toss the seeds forward not guiding them into the the slits.

I can speak with authority on both the Turfco and the Ryan as I was involved in the design and testing of both units. That means I have been doing this for way too long. Glad to discuss all this just call me. 520.836.8162

Excellent post. It's interesting that you recommend that the second pass be at 45 degrees and not 90 degrees. Most seeding information I've read recommends 90 degrees. I've tried both and seem to get better results at 45 degrees but can't really wrap my head around why that is true. So why 45 and not 90 degrees?

turf&tree
12-25-2011, 07:14 AM
Maybe I will give it one more season. I just don't like the fact that it either drags you or you end up pushing it. I guess I just need to find a happy medium. It only makes sense though that the hydrostatic drive models will travel at a constant speed no matter the terrain. I also wish the hopper was bigger, I did mostly turf type tall fescue overseeding and because of the use rate was filling it a lot.
Bob, if you are ever in Ohio I would love to talk in person. I now own 4 different pieces of Turfco equipment and have questions about all of them.
We will give you a home cooked meal like Will gets when he is here.
Jim

turfcobob
12-27-2011, 04:41 PM
When we were doing a lot of test way back when we found that the 45 degree tends to hide mistakes made in the back and forth pattern. Also the blade tended to tear the ground a little more at 45 than at 90 because the point to each diamond is weaker and will lift. This will expose more soil to the seed.