PDA

View Full Version : Chemical erradication of asparagus plant

Florida Gardener
12-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Hey florida cats

I picked up a new account that has lakeview jasmine hedges with some nice(sarcasm)asparagus plants growing through them. If you have any experience with this crap, they grow right next to the base of the hedge and it is very difficult to hand pull.....

give me a chemical i can use to apply and never deal with the crap again, PLEASE!

greendoctor
12-22-2011, 02:52 AM
Triclopyr ester as a cut stump/paint on application. Of course, do not allow this to saturate any area or directly contact the jasmine. I deal with this all the time in Hawaii. Stuff is invasive.

jvanvliet
12-22-2011, 08:36 AM
stuff grows tubers everywhere; you'll have to keep treating as the little buggers pop back up.

Ric
12-22-2011, 09:18 AM
stuff grows tubers everywhere; you'll have to keep treating as the little buggers pop back up.

YEP short of a back hoe it will be a continuing problem. Garlon 4 stump cut method or even Straight Roundup stump cut method is the only way I know to SUPPRESS Asparagus Fern.

In Edit

Go to a irrigation supply house and buy an empty Glue can with Dabber. They sell them for those who buy Glue by the gallon. You can also buy replacement dabbers. The Dabber Can is a great way to carry your Herbicide for stump cut applications. I even add marker dye so I know where I have applied.

Garlon 4 does not trans locate from the roots of one plant to an other like some other herbicide and is safe. Straight Roundup will work also. Brazilian Pepper is an other PITA that the stump cut method works best on.

greendoctor
12-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Ditto on the empty cement can. My 1 gallon steel hand sprayer is saved for pastures and industrial sites. Triclopyr is much safer than imazapyr or picloram for brush control next to desirable plants. However it is still something I would think about in sandy soil and shallow rooted shrubs. A dab on the unwanted weed is all that is needed.

Florida Gardener
12-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Ditto on the empty cement can. My 1 gallon steel hand sprayer is saved for pastures and industrial sites. Triclopyr is much safer than imazapyr or picloram for brush control next to desirable plants. However it is still something I would think about in sandy soil and shallow rooted shrubs. A dab on the unwanted weed is all that is needed.

Greendoc, anything I can spray on dodder that has invaded sons shrubs as an over the top app that won't hurt desirable vegetation?
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
12-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Nope, you are out of luck there. Best chance is to use a rake to comb off the dodder, then preemerge. Diquat will kill dodder, however that is definitely not safe over the top.

Florida Gardener
12-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Damn. I have never seen doder in a landscape except for one of my properties. Usually it is seen in brush and undeveloped areas. It is a pita.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
12-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Diamond:

Once dodder becomes established, eradication is almost impossible, once dodder has produced the haustoria it is near impossible to avoid damage to the host plant. If dodder has germinated and has attached to a host plant, removal of both is recommended to eradicate.

Use of pre-emergent herbicides is the best chemical approach. Dinitroanaline herbicides have been reported to be effective. Dichlobenil has also been reported to have shown good results.

I've seen it on some older properties in Imperial Point Ft. Lauderdale, (built in the late 50's through the 60's). Haven't seen it yet on newer construction, probably because of the slash and burn land clearing techniques the builders use.

Make sure you clean your equipment after coming in contact with it, it's insidious.

greendoctor
12-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Upon further research, the most effective means of dodder destruction is flaming with propane gas. That is what works best in alfalfa fields infested with dodder. I would feel more comfortable with flaming in place rather than mechanically disturbing the area or spraying and giving time for this evil weed to drop more seeds. With flaming, everything goes, including the seeds on plant and dropped on the soil surface.

jvanvliet
12-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Upon further research, the most effective means of dodder destruction is flaming with propane gas. That is what works best in alfalfa fields infested with dodder. I would feel more comfortable with flaming in place rather than mechanically disturbing the area or spraying and giving time for this evil weed to drop more seeds. With flaming, everything goes, including the seeds on plant and dropped on the soil surface.

Two questions;

1. Burn @ what temperature?

2. Would you still use a pre-emergent?

greendoctor
01-04-2012, 03:36 AM
A propane weed torch such as a Red Dragon burns at up to 2000+F. I would visibly char the dodder and whatever it is attached to. Then use a preemergent. The more soil mobile DNA herbicides such as trifluralin and pendimethalin seem to work the best. I have not had to deal with dodder in a long time. Might have something to do with how I keep a program of rotating preemergents going in landscape beds at all times.