PDA

View Full Version : Fiskars pole pruner stik, get it!

Florida Gardener
12-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Man, what a great tool. A couple of you recommended it and it is awesome. Very versatile, light, and help eliminate the ladder.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
12-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Whatever this stick pruner cannot efficiently handle gets turned over to tree trimmers.

Florida Gardener
12-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Whatever this stick pruner cannot efficiently handle gets turned over to tree trimmers.

Well, there are tools that can do more that I can do vs. A tree company. Silky has a phenomenal line of which I own 2 pole saws, lopper attachment, and 9 different hand saws. Anything my arsenal can't handle gets turned over to the tree company. However, most tree companies here are like landscape companies, not that great.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
12-22-2011, 07:06 PM
I only do business with certified arborists who are members of the ISA, not some one who calls themselves a tree trimmer with a chainsaw and truck to their name. The people I deal with are highly professional, more so than "landscapers". These same people call on me when a tree in their care has nutritional or pest problems. It goes both ways.

Florida Gardener
12-22-2011, 07:09 PM
I only do business with certified arborists who are members of the ISA, not some one who calls themselves a tree trimmer with a chainsaw and truck to their name. The people I deal with are highly professional, more so than "landscapers". These same people call on me when a tree in their care has nutritional or pest problems. It goes both ways.

There are 2 companies here that are ISA certified. If you saw their work, you prob couldn't tell the difference bt them and a "tree guy." I am studying for and taking the exam this April.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
12-22-2011, 07:10 PM
The one company I turn bigger work over to is ISA certified and they do nice work.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
12-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Now I feel really fortunate. Then again, the people I deal with are not cheap. No such thing as $25 per palm tree to remove dry fronds and trim up.

Florida Gardener
12-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Now I feel really fortunate. Then again, the people I deal with are not cheap. No such thing as $25 per palm tree to remove dry fronds and trim up.

That's the going rate here for a palm that gets cleaned up 2x/year. It is a good rate IMO as you are basically removing fruits and flowers. It takes me about 5-10 minutes on your average queen or coconut palm with a quality hand saw. At that rate it is good money. Now, if we are talking a clean cabbage palm, that's $30/tree. A clean canary island can start at $75, but usually will be way more than that due to the time consuming nature of removing the fruits without the fronds....if we are talking palms that get done 1x/year, price goes up more. If it hadn't been done in 2 years, get ready to shell out the money. What are arborists getting in your neck of the woods?
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
12-22-2011, 07:20 PM
They will not even pull up to a property for less than $75. Multiple palm trees can be done for $35-50. Any price per tree lower than that is on one property with a lot of trees. There are a lot of coconut palms here. For safety, they have to have fruits and fronds removed at least 2 x per year. No less than $35 per tree. You can get cheaper, however those people are not arborists and they have no insurance.

Florida Gardener
12-22-2011, 07:37 PM
They will not even pull up to a property for less than $75. Multiple palm trees can be done for $35-50. Any price per tree lower than that is on one property with a lot of trees. There are a lot of coconut palms here. For safety, they have to have fruits and fronds removed at least 2 x per year. No less than $35 per tree. You can get cheaper, however those people are not arborists and they have no insurance.

I tell all my clients to do queens and cocos 2x/year. I would love to get those rates, but with the tree rats and larger companies charging $10-$20/palm, I'm happy with my base of $25. I just did 4 coconuts last week for a great customer. Took me 20 min to do all 4. That's $300/hr. Not too shabby. Plus I got to leave debris on site.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
12-22-2011, 07:42 PM
I tell all my clients to do queens and cocos 2x/year. I would love to get those rates, but with the tree rats and larger companies charging $10-$20/palm, I'm happy with my base of $25. I just did 4 coconuts last week for a great customer. Took me 20 min to do all 4. That's $300/hr. Not too shabby. Plus I got to leave debris on site.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is the difference. Can't leave trimmings on a customer's property. Most people do not have room for it and the city will not pick up anything that does not fit into their 80 gallon green waste bins, normally issued 1 per residence. Also, GL and WC insurance is pretty high in this state. My GL will not cost the same the moment any of my work is not done with two feet on the ground.

Florida Gardener
12-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Yea, there are diff rates here for ladder work vs bucket trucks. Tree companies that use buckets pay out the wazoo
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
12-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Ladder work already places one in a high risk bracket, then bucket work and the big one of climbing the tree itself.

You would think that I am in a high risk bracket, however, according to insurance, because I spray trees from the ground and not from ladders or lifts, my rate is far lower.

jvanvliet
12-22-2011, 08:33 PM
You're safer in a bucket than on a ladder or in the tree; for sure. Trimming from the ground is pretty safe too if you're smart enough not to drop branches on your head. You can be relatively safe in the trees if equipped with a "Fall-Arrest Positioning Suspension Harness" and common safety sense.

We have Silky 420's on the trailers for quick trim & palm clean up.

Florida Gardener
12-22-2011, 09:02 PM
My max on a ladder is about 22 ft. If I have to go any higher than that, someone else is doing the work.
Posted via Mobile Device