PDA

View Full Version : Dakota pulling an enclosed

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Want some simple opinions. I run an 06 Dakota with the 4.7 V8. I am looking into buying a 7x12 or 7x14 enclosed trailer for my mow setup. Would be pulling a 1K lb Z, 350lb WB, 21", and hand tools. I suppose 1500-1750 lbs if you had to put a # on the payload. Can my Dakota handle this? Dual or single axle matter?

Thx

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Also, how to do I know if I have the 3.92 or 3.55 axle ratio on this truck? I know the 3.92 is better for towing. Can't find the spec anywhere. I do have the tow package on the truck.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-23-2011, 04:16 PM
No question it can pull it the question is how long it can before it quits on you. It's not the engines that fail its rear ends and transmissions. That said plowing is a lot harder on them then towing but come to think of it iv never seen a dakota plowing.

rreyn1812
12-23-2011, 04:32 PM
You really need to do a look up of the VIN and see what is called out there. The VIN should give you the rear end ratio, engine, etc. For this year there are multiple versions of the truck with 3 diff HP ratings on the engine available. The 3.55 rear axle ratio is standard and the 3.92 was optional. From a quick check I think it lists your tow capacity at 3800 to 4000 lbs total, so you need to figure the weights of the contents (don't forget the fluids at at least 8 lbs/gal) and the bare trailer weight. I believe it will probably tow the trailer, but you will be pretty close the the limit, but the worry I would have would be brakes. Make sure the trailer has brakes, and the truck a brake controller, and you understand how to set it up properly. Once you figure out the total weight, if I was within 10% of the max, I would either go smaller trailer or larger truck. Just my $0.02 worth.

Swampy
12-24-2011, 09:37 AM
No question it can pull it the question is how long it can before it quits on you. It's not the engines that fail its rear ends and transmissions. That said plowing is a lot harder on them then towing but come to think of it iv never seen a dakota plowing.

Back in highschool, late 90's - early 00's, my buddy set up his old boxy dakota (early 90's) up for plowing. It did awesome, it could get into area's that would normally be done with a Jeep but had the nuts as a 1/2 ton (5.2L). Though the trans really didn't hold up to well, I'd think if it was a 5 spd it might have been a different story and he put a in alot of off road/stronger parts in it. I think I have pictures of it, but in film and no way to scan them in.

To the OP, it would work, don't expect to win any races with it though. I'd go tandem to get the trailer brakes. Save money or sell the dakota and buy a older 1/2ton.

djagusch
12-24-2011, 10:26 AM
I didn't realize the tow rating was that low. Good trailer brakes are a must. Tamdem pulls easier. If you are planning on using the dakota truck for long term go aluminum.

How many miles are you putting on for work yearly?
Posted via Mobile Device

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
12-24-2011, 11:57 AM
It will do it no problem there is an id tag useally on the rear diff that tells the axle ratio if not theres a steel lettered stamp on the axle somewhere that will.

IES
12-24-2011, 01:12 PM

One of our plow trucks is a 97 Dakota with 5.2. It really does well. Very manuverable and plenty o power. We occasionally use it to pull a 7x16 open with 2 z turns. It pulls it fine but you will definitely want good trailer brakes
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-27-2011, 10:10 PM
OK confirmed I have the std 3.55 axle ratio.

So X ref and I have 3800 lbs tow capacity on the Dakota. Would plan to haul likely 1700 lbs of cargo + trailer weight. That leaves me with 2100 lbs for the trailer itself. Couple hundred lbs less than that for margin of safety. So, might have to go aluminum?
Not selling my truck right now.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-27-2011, 10:46 PM
No I am mistaken....I have a tow package on my truck with trans cooler, etc so I should be able to tow close to 7K lbs.

LewisLawn
12-28-2011, 10:46 AM
I've been towing with my 05 dakota 4.7 with tow package since it was new. I have a 6.5x12 trailer and carry along with me 48 ztr and 48 wb and 21" with all power hand tools I need...never a problem 85,000 miles no tranny rearend or other problem....no trailer breaks but I would highly recommend them, I'm on my 3rd set of pads in the last 3 years