PDA

View Full Version : Want more HP & MPG out off my Cummins

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
12-24-2011, 02:17 PM
I have a 2003 Dodge 3500 CC Dually that is my everyday work truck. It has about 135K miles on it now, still running strong. I average around 16-18mpg right now empty. I'm mostly doing highway driving to different job sites going 75 or so. If I only go 65 I can get 21-22mpg but it takes forever to get there. When I tow I'm usually around 10K-18k lbs. I've been thinking of a hypertech programmer to help with mpg and maybe an exhaust system. A little more HP for towing would be nice as well. As this is a work truck I don't want to spend tons of money. Any thoughts would be great.

SouthSide Cutter
12-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Dont know what rear ends gears you have. Mine has 3.73 and I wish they were 3.55. The older 1 tons had a Dana 70 or 80 and mine which is a 06 has the American Axle Works rear end. Brother-N-Law has a 01 and the 3.55 and gets 22 pulling his enclosed race car trailer. Mine gets 18 pulling a trailer just like his. I can get 24-26 empty if I keep the rpms at 1500 or lower, but if they get up to 1600 the mileage falls off. Pulling a 38ft fifth wheel camper LOADED we got 15.2 going to Bristol running 55, coming back we ran with the traffic up to 85 and got 12.

The new Dodges suck on fuel milage and I mean SUCK. They dont even have a milage average on the window sheet. You have to take off everything. Freaking exhaust weighs a ton. Friends was 8-9 before and 18-19 after everything was off.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
12-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Rear end is also a 3:73. I aslo already have the ATS Co-Pilot for the transmission.

90plow
12-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Cheapest route is a quadzilla max milage box simple to install and doesnt do anything but adjust air fuel mixture.

KrayzKajun
12-24-2011, 07:35 PM
we need David (Plantscapesolutions) to chime in!

SouthSide Cutter
12-24-2011, 08:00 PM
I got the HO mtr but have never chipped it. My brother-n-law has a bully dog i think. Both ours are auto's. All I done was put a deep pan on the trans and have a 5" flowmaster exhaust. And the exhaust did nothing for it but alot of noise.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
12-24-2011, 08:32 PM
This is the truck and the vac trailer that it's usually hooked to.

Southscapes03
12-24-2011, 10:47 PM
I will say, be ready for trans problems if you start messing with it. Even with the Co Pilot, those trans are JUNK when you chip them without some upgrades. Any of the basic tuners will do good for mileage, but if your towing the weight that you say you are, you will want to monitor your exhaust temps and trans temps with some type of pillar guage which can start getting pricey. There are programmers out there like the Bully Dog and Edge or H&S which offer the programmer with built in digital guages and displays. These usually end up being cheaper in the long run when you consider the cost of buying the programmer, guage pod, guages all seperate. Not to mention that they are much smaller and compact. I run a 2011 Cummins motor that like the previous post says, got bad mileage until i uncorked it!! Once you take off all the EGR and DPF nonesense, they get good mileage. I get 17 pulling my equipment and 24 on the highway.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-25-2011, 03:16 AM
The AFE Pro Dry airbox and filter will allows the engine to have less intake restriction. Plus you will never have to use an oil on the filter which is great. A 4" TBE exhaust will help the engine exhale more easily. An Airdog or FASS will give you about a 6% increase in MPG's, make the truck run more smoothly, and make the injectors last forever. The Smarty is really the number #1 programmer for the Cummins engine. You can usually find a Smarty on Ebay for 30-40% less then a new one. You can play with the fuel economy setting or play with the power settings. If your truck is a 4x4 you can also install a Dynatrac free spin kit and pick up an easy 1.5 MPG's.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-25-2011, 03:21 AM
Almost forgot. The Edge CT is the best gauge for the money. Driving blind with no clue what your EGT's are is stupid and can be a $10,000 mistake.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Dont know what rear ends gears you have. Mine has 3.73 and I wish they were 3.55. The older 1 tons had a Dana 70 or 80 and mine which is a 06 has the American Axle Works rear end. Brother-N-Law has a 01 and the 3.55 and gets 22 pulling his enclosed race car trailer. Mine gets 18 pulling a trailer just like his. I can get 24-26 empty if I keep the rpms at 1500 or lower, but if they get up to 1600 the mileage falls off. Pulling a 38ft fifth wheel camper LOADED we got 15.2 going to Bristol running 55, coming back we ran with the traffic up to 85 and got 12.

The new Dodges suck on fuel milage and I mean SUCK. They dont even have a milage average on the window sheet. You have to take off everything. Freaking exhaust weighs a ton. Friends was 8-9 before and 18-19 after everything was off.

No Diesel trucks above a half ton (GM made them) have ever had MPG's on the window because the Fed's do not require it. I had an 02' Ram and currently have an 06' & 09' and I've got to tell you that unless your are running propane injection those MPG numbers you mentioned are not going to happen on the 01' and 06'. The 6.7 with a delete and 4x2 may get the MPG's mentioned. At 65 mph with a delete and Airdog I've managed 17.65 on a flat 400 mile trip.

KrayzKajun
12-25-2011, 09:55 AM
No Diesel trucks above a half ton (GM made them) have ever had MPG's on the window because the Fed's do not require it. I had an 02' Ram and currently have an 06' & 09' and I've got to tell you that unless your are running propane injection those MPG numbers you mentioned are not going to happen on the 01' and 06'. The 6.7 with a delete and 4x2 may get the MPG's mentioned. At 65 mph with a delete and Airdog I've managed 17.65 on a flat 400 mile trip.

Who needs MPG when yur making 500+ HP & 1000lbs of torque.:weightlifter:

Cant wait to do the delete, Air intake, exhaust and programmer on my truck!

SouthSide Cutter
12-25-2011, 11:42 AM

Hate to differ with you but its a fact. But not all diesel will do this. I have to run Country Mark with a higher c rating to do this. Grandson borrowed it with a friend who has a Ford, pulled the friends trailer with their sprint cars to Peru In to race. It maid a believer out of him. But you have to run no faster than 55!!!! And mine and my brother-n-laws are two wheel drive. The read out will say 34mpg. But it is always 4-5 gal off. I just fill it the same each time and compute it that way. I do run a K&N air filter.

And my brother-n-law pulls with a friend who has a Duramax, and the other has a Ford. They all have them chipped. He says one pulls just as good as the other because they always try and see who has the most chit. But none get the milage he does. He has also put in a new convertor and trans, but mine is still stock.

AEL
12-25-2011, 12:00 PM
If your chipping your 5.9 with an auto be prepared to put a tranny in soon, and Ifyour running a bully dog plan on getting one sooner . If your tranny does go spend the money and properly build a new tranny or you will be replacing it again.
Posted via Mobile Device

ColvinsPS
12-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Go with a Smarty.
Check out the cummins forums and you will get better responses and find out more details.

Casey'sLM
12-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Water/methenal injection should give you about 1-2 more MPG.
Posted via Mobile Device