PDA

View Full Version : Any Thoughts

Matt Hermann
12-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Considering this truck as a buy. looking to purchase my first truck. Any help appreciated. Thanks

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ctd/2695236518.html

Ridin' Green
12-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Way too many miles for that much money IMO. The thing looks good in the pics, and may have been well cared for, but most people don't buy a truck like that, and then use it solely for a cruiser to get around in. With that many miles, there's bound to be suspension, steering, and and drive train items that either need, or will soon need replacing. Diesels do better on fuel, but then again it cost more at the pump, and so does basic engine maintenance. I'd pass personally. All the maintenance for a 3/4 ton truck is going to cost more than for a 1/2 ton truck. You'd be much better off going with a good 1/2 ton for your first truck IMO.

Matt Hermann
12-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Completely agree with the mileage. Was just curious as to what you all thought, to me, overall it looked extremely clean. Anyways, heres a second truck i came across which I like alot more,

http://clients.automanager.com/014054/vehicle-details/903d485e71141844bdf87368faccf051/default.html

Ridin' Green
12-25-2011, 05:42 PM
I remember being you age, and I remember not always using the best judgement on what I bought, but back then gas was a LOT cheaper LOL.

You seem bent on having a big "cool" truck to drive around, and there's nothing wrong with that, but fuel isn't ever going to get much cheaper, and both of those trucks are much more than need for anything short of heavy duty trailering and/or snow plowing. Both have fairly high milage, and both are expensive to maintain, and repair.

I really think you'd be much better off with a 1/2 ton truck. They resale better in this economy, and won't take everything you can make to fill up each week. On top of that, they'll pull any reasonable sized trailer with ease, especially for a one or two man operation.

Matt Hermann
12-25-2011, 06:08 PM
I remember being you age, and I remember not always using the best judgement on what I bought, but back then gas was a LOT cheaper LOL.

You seem bent on having a big "cool" truck to drive around, and there's nothing wrong with that, but fuel isn't ever going to get much cheaper, and both of those trucks are much more than need for anything short of heavy duty trailering and/or snow plowing. Both have fairly high milage, and both are expensive to maintain, and repair.

I really think you'd be much better off with a 1/2 ton truck. They resale better in this economy, and won't take everything you can make to fill up each week. On top of that, they'll pull any reasonable sized trailer with ease, especially for a one or two man operation.

Haha, yeah prettymuch. I've been looking at f-150's, but i only like the 04's and newer. heres a F150 im looking at, but its got quite a few miles.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2723059696.html

Ridin' Green
12-25-2011, 06:17 PM
That's getting closer. The air bags though, would make me question what he has hauled in it previously. Having air bags alone does not make a work horse truck. The axleshafts inside the axle housings are what makes it capable of hauling more payload, not the air bags. What did he haul that required them? Milagewise, that seems to be common now days, but still, you need to consider what you will most likely need to start replacing sooner, rather than later. It's just the way it is when buying a used vehicle, especially with more than 50,000 miles on the odometer.

Don't be in too big a hurry. The good deals are out there, but you have to be patient and watch for them, and know what to avoid. Don't be in any hurry to buy someone else's problems, which is usually the main reason for getting rid of them (or someone who is trying to avoid having to deal with them, themselves sometime soon).

orinicklawncare
12-25-2011, 07:42 PM
we have had a few old duramaxs and have to watch out for the head gasket if it blows its a 5k fix but other than that its a hell of a truck

mowerbrad
12-25-2011, 08:07 PM
First Truck: That is going to have the LB7 Duramax engine which has the very well known injector problems. Unless you can do the work yourself (which is quite a bit of work) you will be spending thousands should the injectors need replacing (not saying they are bad, but chances are if they haven't been replaced before, you will need to have them replaced shortly after purchasing). While 200,000 miles is really not a whole lot for a diesel engine or even the Allison transmission in that truck, but think about all the other components (brakes, rotors, tie rods, ect). Things can add up quickly and make for expensive repair bills. If you knew the person who owned that truck since it was new, that would be a whole different story since you would know how it was driven, taken care of, etc. But you really have no idea if this truck has been driven hard. And being young and buying your first truck, I would hate for you to get burned on this purchase.

Second Truck: While it is a very nice truck (judging by the pictures) and has fewer miles on it, that V10 is going to suck fuel like their is no tomorrow. That truck will get pretty much the same fuel mileage no matter if its towing or just tooling around town. It will tow lots but you will be paying for that at the pump. Probably not the most economical truck in the world, but it wouldn't be a bd truck.

Third Truck: F150's aren't bad trucks. I would stay with a 04 (new body style) as opposed to the heritage models, mainly for the safety ratings between them. If you look into the crash test results of the hertiage models and the 04+ models, you will see a significant difference between the two and will realize how much safer you would be in the 04+ models. That looks like a nice truck!

No matter what truck you get or want, make sure to look at it thoroughly and go through it with a "fine toothed comb". If you don't know much about trucks, take someone with you who does and do your research on the model you are looking at prior to looking at it. Make sure you can drive the truck before purchasing it and don't let dealers pressure you into a purchase.

A 1/2 ton truck should do you just fine. A 3/4 ton truck is just as good (That's all I've ever owned, even my first truck was a 3/4 ton). If you can find a good deal on a 3/4 ton, it may be worth it. Be careful with diesels, there is a little bit more to them and when something breaks, it's expensive, so you really have to know your stuff when looking at diesels (at least higher mileage ones). If I were you, I'd look for a gas 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. My Chevy 2500 doesn't get much worse fuel economy than a 1/2 ton...so it isn't that bad when paying for gas.

metro36
12-25-2011, 08:22 PM
First Truck: That is going to have the LB7 Duramax engine which has the very well known injector problems. Unless you can do the work yourself (which is quite a bit of work) you will be spending thousands should the injectors need replacing (not saying they are bad, but chances are if they haven't been replaced before, you will need to have them replaced shortly after purchasing). While 200,000 miles is really not a whole lot for a diesel engine or even the Allison transmission in that truck, but think about all the other components (brakes, rotors, tie rods, ect). Things can add up quickly and make for expensive repair bills. If you knew the person who owned that truck since it was new, that would be a whole different story since you would know how it was driven, taken care of, etc. But you really have no idea if this truck has been driven hard. And being young and buying your first truck, I would hate for you to get burned on this purchase.

Second Truck: While it is a very nice truck (judging by the pictures) and has fewer miles on it, that V10 is going to suck fuel like their is no tomorrow. That truck will get pretty much the same fuel mileage no matter if its towing or just tooling around town. It will tow lots but you will be paying for that at the pump. Probably not the most economical truck in the world, but it wouldn't be a bd truck.

Third Truck: F150's aren't bad trucks. I would stay with a 04 (new body style) as opposed to the heritage models, mainly for the safety ratings between them. If you look into the crash test results of the hertiage models and the 04+ models, you will see a significant difference between the two and will realize how much safer you would be in the 04+ models. That looks like a nice truck!

No matter what truck you get or want, make sure to look at it thoroughly and go through it with a "fine toothed comb". If you don't know much about trucks, take someone with you who does and do your research on the model you are looking at prior to looking at it. Make sure you can drive the truck before purchasing it and don't let dealers pressure you into a purchase.

A 1/2 ton truck should do you just fine. A 3/4 ton truck is just as good (That's all I've ever owned, even my first truck was a 3/4 ton). If you can find a good deal on a 3/4 ton, it may be worth it. Be careful with diesels, there is a little bit more to them and when something breaks, it's expensive, so you really have to know your stuff when looking at diesels (at least higher mileage ones). If I were you, I'd look for a gas 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. My Chevy 2500 doesn't get much worse fuel economy than a 1/2 ton...so it isn't that bad when paying for gas.

I agree. A 3/4 ton can be nice. The extra payload and towing capacity is a big help if you do large landscape jobs. My GMC 2500 get the same milage that my F150 5.4 used to so I didn't sacrifice much.

Also I would avoid an 04 if you buy an F-150. I had one that had a lot of problems. They worked them out later that year. I would buy an 05 or later just to be safe.

weeze
12-25-2011, 08:33 PM
have you ever thought of a v6 frontier or tacoma?...just throwing that out there because they pull alot of weight too...plenty for lawncare...my 4cyl pulls my trailer fine when loaded...just trying to open your mind to the possibilities out there...i know i get way better gas mileage that a 1/2 ton truck would...it's something to think about as gas is going to continue to go up over the years....also think about things like extended or double cabs...do you really need the space?...or is it you just want it cuz that's what the majority of people have?....i mean i got my regular cab 4x4 for $20k brand new....a v6 extended cab was $30k....is it really worth the extra $10k?....not in my opinion when i am able to get the job done just the same in a reg cab and get better gas mileage at the same time.....you kindof have to step back and look at things at a distance and not buy into all of the hype out there....that's how they get you and get into your pockets lol....just trying to help you man....my first truck was a 1988 reg cab toyota 4x4 with 100k miles on it....i bought it for $6k.....drove it to 300k miles before i sold it....so i'd say i got my money's worth out of that truck wouldn't you?..i drove it for 10 years....8 of those years were with no payment.....only things i ever had to fix were minor things like alternator, battery, tires, brake pads....so maintenance was very cheap....the more you spend on a truck usually that means the higher the maintenance costs are so just keep that in mind....if you try to get the biggest and baddest out there you are gonna end up paying for it lol.

Matt Hermann
12-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Atleast extended cab, worst comes to worst a regular cab would do. But I'd like the second row for driving friends around and all. I'm also looking at getting another zero turn along with either a 6x12 or 7x14 trailer. Mainly for mowing, not really into all of those hardscaping or plowing jobs yet. The 04 f150 seems nice, I saw it in person and it was spotless an clearly taken care of (have no idea about towing or driving habits, but I'm talking about scratches and all, literally nonexistent.). I sent him an email about te airbags and what he was towing with it to figure that out too. Thanks for the help guys, haha it's tough with all of the models brands styles etc. to choose from.
Posted via Mobile Device

32vld
12-25-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm leery of used car dealers. They go to auctions to buy inventory. Where does the auctions get the cars? Bank repos. Which means the owners couldn't afford to do the oil changes either and didn't. Also the lemon cars the dealers take in the don't want to sell and warantee so they sell them off at auction where used car dealers pick them up and resell them at over inflated prices.

And buying used off a new car dealer' lot can be a problem to because I knew a dealer that when he bought the dealership wanted to have a large used car inventory as well went to the auctions and loaded up his lot with a bunch of problem cars. So make sure the dealer has the service records to back up it was a car they originally sold and took back in on trade to avoid an auction car.

Also don't buy a used Buick at a Ford dealer or a used Ford at a Jeep dealer.

Why?

Because if they loved their Buick Ford Jeep or whatever they would of bought another one. The reason that Ford is at a Chevy dealer's used car lot is if not a auction car the owner was so unhappy with THAT Ford he's vowed never to buy another Ford.

Have patience and buy private if you can't afford new. As pointed out can't afford a full size they mid size colorado will do. And you'll save on gas.

Diesels have many benefits but cost a lot more to buy are expensive to repair and many people confuse needing and wanting their towing ability.

Darryl G
12-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Maybe see if you can get a 1/2 ton with the off-road package like the Z71 or the FX4? The upgrades kind of put them between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. It's gonna ride a little rougher though.

Matt Hermann
12-26-2011, 08:20 AM
"Being in cultured stone business, I was hauling a load of stone from time to time, about 1/2 ton or so.
I had 2 other trucks to carry heavy load, those air bags were kind of precautions, never really used to their potentials...
I like to be prepared, this move was just an preemptive strike I guess, never really a necessity..."

Sent the owner if the F-150 an email questioning the airbags, that was his response. With the airbags, does that mean I am able to tow more an all, still not sure what the airbags do. Thanks guys!
Posted via Mobile Device

hackitdown
12-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Keep looking. There are a lot of lower mileage trucks in your price range...

Here is a truck if you want to look cool:
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2748280200.html

Here is a decent sounding work truck:
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2763139753.html

this one looks good:
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2652918233.html

CrimsonMaintenance
12-26-2011, 09:25 AM
You need to determine how much youwill be towing before you decide on a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck. Anything more that 1 mower on a trailer and a 1/2 ton headlamps will be pointed into the trees. Notice I said more than 1 mower before anyone tries blowing my statement out of context.

Matt Hermann
12-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Ideally towing 2 Zero turns, 46" and another one between 40-60" haven't decided which I'm going to buy. Also a 32" walk behind. Bed full of blowers and trimmers and that's about it for now. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

CrimsonMaintenance
12-26-2011, 10:21 AM
I wouldnt consider a 1/2 ton pickup is my opinion. We have an f150 used to pull our small stuff (kubota zg222 and a 36" walk behind) and it has a ton of tongue weight. The 150 has a 5.4 and plenty of power though. Ultimately you should worry more about stopping it than pulling it, that is where the big problems arise.

Matt Hermann
12-26-2011, 10:27 AM
I would plan on installing electric breaks for the trailer if I went the route of a large trailer, and quick question, a half ton is a f150, then is a 250/2500 a 3/4? Sorry, kind of new to all this. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

32vld
12-26-2011, 10:54 AM
"Being in cultured stone business, I was hauling a load of stone from time to time, about 1/2 ton or so.
I had 2 other trucks to carry heavy load, those air bags were kind of precautions, never really used to their potentials...
I like to be prepared, this move was just an preemptive strike I guess, never really a necessity..."

Sent the owner if the F-150 an email questioning the airbags, that was his response. With the airbags, does that mean I am able to tow more an all, still not sure what the airbags do. Thanks guys!
Posted via Mobile Device

Everyone gets tempted to go over the limit from time to time. Even a home owner used truck may get abused once a year.

RED FLAG when:
I'm in the stone business, means when one of my big trucks was in the shop or I had more work then they could handle sounds as if this truck got overloaded once a week.

Then when air bags are installed is another RED FLAG because when ever you read about some one installing air bags just to be safe. It's because they are going to be using the truck above it's limits with lots of miles being operated that way.

Either carrying loads to heavy or trying to run plows to heavy or trailers to heavy.

CrimsonMaintenance
12-26-2011, 10:58 AM
a 12-14ft trailer will need at least one brake axle on it if you are carrying that much weight. Better safe than sorry, the other way you will be putting brakes on the 150 every 5-6k miles

Ridin' Green
12-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Check your state for the required braking on trailers. Here in MI, if the trailer has a total GVWR of 3500 lbs or above, every axle on the trailer has to have brakes to be legal, and it doesn't matter if there is only one axle, or 3, they all have to have brakes in working condition to be legal. Many dealers here sell new trailers with only one axle brake, but they are getting around the actual law because they didn't make the trailer (only selling them) and the trailers were shipped that way from somewhere else where the laws are different. It still doesn't relieve the final purchaser from having the proper brakes installed for use here though.

If a 1/2 ton truck is getting too much tongue weight from the trailer, the weight needs to be redistributed better on the trailer, or a longer trailer needs to be used that will allow doing so. Since most 1/2 ton trucks have very similar engines (if not the exact same) to most 3/4 ton trucks, and will pull the weight just fine, the braking issue is definitely the most important thing as mentioned by someone else earlier (other than having a trailer capable of handling the load properly).

Darryl G
12-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Matt - Yes, the 250/2500s are "3/4 ton" trucks. It's kind of misleading because the payload capacities are well over 3/4 of a ton, and the payload capactity of a full sized "1/2 ton" is well over 1/2 ton. I have a Silverado 2500HD which came standard with the 6.0 liter engine and the 4:10 rear end and some other upgrades. It can get confusing.

Matt Hermann
12-26-2011, 04:29 PM
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2743716214.html

This truck has a lot less miles than the other one, but it is only a 1/2 ton.
Posted via Mobile Device

Matt Hermann
12-28-2011, 01:26 AM
F350, decent amount of miles:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2746517118.html

another F350, less miles:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2762248271.html

Agape
12-28-2011, 01:59 AM
Considering this truck as a buy. looking to purchase my first truck. Any help appreciated. Thanks

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ctd/2695236518.html

Love the color, but for that price have you considered an actual landscape truck like an isuzu dump? heres one I found in your price range in a 5 minute search in your general area:
http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/2721923345.html

TJSTONE
12-28-2011, 02:02 AM
I look for the truck that I can buy for the cash in my jeans. Also the one that will be the least expensive to operate, fuel mileage, maintenance, etc. If necessary put an equalizer hitch on the truck. Diesels advantage is serviceable miles, by that I mean if taken care of you could get 2x the miles out of the motor. Just the motor.

I don'tlook for 1 rig to do everything, hauling friends? Cheep car. Work truck, the best tool for the least money overall.

Matt Hermann
12-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Do you guys think a 5.4 in a V8 would be alright in the white F-350?

Kelly's Landscaping
12-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Damm had to reread that first ad 3 times before I spotted the mileage was so big I guess it looked more like a phone # to me.

But that price is the reason I have vowed to buy new from now on I am sick of trucks that are either obscenely expensive with under 50k miles or they are priced decently but the mileage is insane. If a truck has 100k miles on it its past the half way point on its journey. Yes some hit 200k but the cost to get them there are equal to the original price of the truck.

Deori
12-29-2011, 02:42 AM
I'm going to call BS on the stone/airbag guy. The payload capacity of that F-150 is close to 2000 lbs. You wouldn't install airbags to handle an occasional
1000 lbs. (he stated that it occasionally hauls a 1/2 ton) because it would be a waste of money. I have 1000 or more lbs. in my F-150 all the time for nearly 10 years now, no airbags required lol. I'm thinking that truck was running some damn heavy loads on a regular basis. I could be wrong but it would put me off I think.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
12-29-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm going to call BS on the stone/airbag guy. The payload capacity of that F-150 is close to 2000 lbs. You wouldn't install airbags to handle an occasional
1000 lbs. (he stated that it occasionally hauls a 1/2 ton) because it would be a waste of money. I have 1000 or more lbs. in my F-150 all the time for nearly 10 years now, no airbags required lol. I'm thinking that truck was running some damn heavy loads on a regular basis. I could be wrong but it would put me off I think.
Posted via Mobile Device

could just be trailer preference, I have my ford F-350 dump and it will haul anything. but full of wet debris It sometimes drops the already low hitch to where it's a PITA, so I've thought of putting airbags on for that reason.

I still think the OP should consider an Isuzu.

Matt Hermann
12-29-2011, 11:49 AM
I would consider an isuzu except this is my first car/truck, so I don't want that haha. Maby in the near future though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
12-30-2011, 01:43 PM
I know you don't want an Isuzu for your first vehicle, and it would be a difficult rig to go give estimates perhaps, but the first time your truck is full of debris and you pull it out for 30 minutes you will kick yourself for not getting a dump with 6x the carrying capacity,(mine only has 3x the capacity and it's sooooo nice) and unload it by pushing a button.
I wish,I wish, I wish I started with a dump.

In the summer and you're swamped, you'll hate having to leave a job for 2 hours because you're full and have to go dump. (travel, manual unload, drive back), and barkdust is easy because the bed is higher than the wheelbarrow, so you just use a pull fork and gravity to load the barrow.

just my $0.02.

Matt Hermann
12-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Haha dump truck or trailer may be in the near future, but defiantly not as my first truck/car. Haha I need to be able to drive to school with it also haha, that's why I liked the 150's due to te better gas mileage
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-30-2011, 02:57 PM
206K? That is a load of miles. I wouldn't touch it myself.