PDA

View Full Version : Who Else Is Cutting Grass?

jvanvliet
12-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Warm weather, rain, properly fertilized lawns GAAAH!

Had to call in a crew to cut grass this week, it's borderline out of control and will be off the chain by the end of the week and so...

Hi-Ho Hi-Ho it's cutting grass I go.

Anybody joining me?

Hoping for a cold snap!

Florida Gardener
12-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Not today, taking the day off, but this is my cutting week so yea, grass is getting cut. I would love a nice cold snap too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
12-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Not cutting today. But I did cut 3 days last week, and will cut 3 days this week. No need trying to do a week on then a week off because there are still some that need to be cut every 10 days and a very few that still have to be cut at 7.

There's no cold coming either. Nothing that even brings the temp down below the average high and average low. I really hope this is not a year without a winter. Cold is the great equalizer. Snuffs out lots of turf and plant problems. Not looking forward to a spring after there was no freeze or at least a frost. Also it's going to be bad if we don't get the usual slow down where we can get other stuff done. Both business and personal. I have lots of things at my house that need to be done, and winter is pretty much the only time I have to do it.

Florida Gardener
12-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Not cutting today. But I did cut 3 days last week, and will cut 3 days this week. No need trying to do a week on then a week off because there are still some that need to be cut every 10 days and a very few that still have to be cut at 7.

There's no cold coming either. Nothing that even brings the temp down below the average high and average low. I really hope this is not a year without a winter. Cold is the great equalizer. Snuffs out lots of turf and plant problems. Not looking forward to a spring after there was no freeze or at least a frost. Also it's going to be bad if we don't get the usual slow down where we can get other stuff done. Both business and personal. I have lots of things at my house that need to be done, and winter is pretty much the only time I have to do it.

It BETTER get cold for at least jan/feb. I mean seriously. The one saving grace is 2 years ago we didn't get cold until jan, but had 2 freezes, 2 near freezes, and cold all the way till May. Hopefully same thing happens this year.....

jvanvliet
12-26-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm grateful to still be on a four day week and short crews; at least were not bleeding to death.

yamadooski
12-26-2011, 05:18 PM
I can never really come to understand how some of you work. After 20 years of this I am so done kissing customers behinds. I have them kissing mine and still give out great service.
I dont care how warm it is. I always take 2 weeks off for Christmas. That is my family time.
Im there every week for the summer. I work 6 and sometimes 7 days a week.
To see guys working between Christmas and news years day is just sad.
When I have a customer that tells me that the neighbor guy is coming for both holidays I tell that person has no life and I do.
kids are off from school and you only live once.
So all you guys enjoy your 3 days on and off and working every 10 days. I'll be on the jet skis one day and we plan a few days in the forest on our quads..
Ahhh the good life. A young wise manager told me as I was getting started in management. "You need to train your customers not your customers training you"
I have lived by that rule and has made me very successful. Once you try to please everyone on their schedule and demands you will go crazy. Have seen many of my local aquaintances in the business fall prey to the kiss butt customer attitude.

Ric
12-26-2011, 05:35 PM

Apparently not everyone can make a schedule that works for both Thanksgiving and X mas. It takes just a little thinking ahead. Basically there are approx 4 weeks between the Holidays. Now factor in, most are on a Every Other Week cutting schedule. I guess It takes a Rocket Scientists to figure out a solution.

Landscape Poet
12-26-2011, 05:43 PM
I can never really come to understand how some of you work. After 20 years of this I am so done kissing customers behinds. I have them kissing mine and still give out great service.
I dont care how warm it is. I always take 2 weeks off for Christmas. That is my family time.
When I have a customer that tells me that the neighbor guy is coming for both holidays I tell that person has no life and I do.
So all you guys enjoy your 3 days on and off and working every 10 days. I'll be on the jet skis one day and we plan a few days in the forest on our quads..
Ahhh the good life. A young wise manager told me as I was getting started in management. "You need to train your customers not your customers training you"
I have lived by that rule and has made me very successful. Once you try to please everyone on their schedule and demands you will go crazy. Have seen many of my local aquaintances in the business fall prey to the kiss butt customer attitude.

yamadooski - you said it yourself.....after 20 years ....most of us have not been around that long to "train" our customers. Although I do see your perspective and agree with it to a point, you also must admit that the first new years of business your perspective was a little different..and if you can not....that it might be in today's competitive environment.

I go out every two weeks and will be at there property every two weeks. This does not mean that the turf will get ran over with a mower when it does not need it. IF we get a freeze....I will still go out and check on the properties.....to see how the freeze affected them as each property as each properties do to their environment and exposure are effected differently.

In my case the properties today - nothing needed the turf cut. They appeared to look fine and in line with their perspective neighborhood. Most have turned their irrigation down to once a week to comply with local regulations and we have not had much moisture so the turf shows little real growth. We sheared a few shrubs....sprayed few beds and were out. Back home and enjoyed a little nap before seeing what was going on here so life is not so bad...now after 20 years in the business I may slow down a bit as you have....but for now I am still full of piss and vinegar :dancing: and will go go go....cause I told my customers every other week service as long as the turf needs it.

Landscape Poet
12-26-2011, 05:48 PM

Apparently not everyone can make a schedule that works for both Thanksgiving and X mas. It takes just a little thinking ahead. Basically there are approx 4 weeks between the Holidays. Now factor in, most are on a Every Other Week cutting schedule. I guess It takes a Rocket Scientists to figure out a solution.

If you worked through the first week of Nov - you were fine for Thanksgiving..However you would of had to cut two weeks back to back last week to had this week off. Me personally I did not see the point of cutting back to back weeks when the turf simply does not require it here, add to that the fact that I was off the full week before X-mas and had more than enough down time to get any xmas shopping done and then rest and relax while even getting things done that needed to be done prior to the actual holiday.
I could care less about having today off....as it is not a holiday unless you are a shopper!!! And that is all today really is , another Holiday for the retailers.

Next week though...I am gone back home to enjoy a little down time.

Darryl G
12-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Since it ain't snowin' I wish it was growin'. Not much to do up here in the northeast except wait for snow or spring, whichever comes first.

Patriot Services
12-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Waaahhhh! I'm sure there are a bunch of guys that will trade places. We missed the drought that put many out of business. We haven't felt any effects from the blizzards that are in the southwest and Texas. We finished up before the 24th and the shop is locked until the 3rd. You spray guys should happy there are more weeds to treat and bill for.

P.s. I'm in WNY right now and it is green and was in the 50's.
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
12-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Waaahhhh! I'm sure there are a bunch of guys that will trade places. We missed the drought that put many out of business. We haven't felt any effects from the blizzards that are in the southwest and Texas. We finished up before the 24th and the shop is locked until the 3rd. You spray guys should happy there are more weeds to treat and bill for.

P.s. I'm in WNY right now and it is green and was in the 50's.
Posted via Mobile Device

No blizzards in this Texas we mowed today. The grass and weeds are growing like crazy. Oh and the temp is headed for high 60F so it is
like spring.

Patriot Services
12-26-2011, 07:39 PM
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2011/12/20/worst-blizzard-in-decades-hits-great-plains-southwest

Guess your not in this part.

unkownfl
12-26-2011, 08:18 PM
I split my full week schedule into two, so now I mow every week just 2 days per week. It would be nice to have one week on and one week off but I kinda need to drive by every week anyways to keep up on other things I do besides just cut the grass. Luckily my route is a 15 minute drive end to end.

Landscape Poet
12-26-2011, 08:24 PM
. Luckily my route is a 15 minute drive end to end. If your route is that tight...lose the truck and just put racks on the Z's and drive them. LOL . Very nice to have a nice tight route like that though.

unkownfl
12-26-2011, 08:26 PM
If your route is that tight...lose the truck and just put racks on the Z's and drive them. LOL . Very nice to have a nice tight route like that though.

That's if I use the good ole 429 though if I just need to go from one end to the other. Using non-toll roads it's about 45 minutes through town.

Johnagain
12-26-2011, 11:17 PM
My last mowing day was the 16th. I have always taken the last 2 wks off. The grass doesn't grow that much and I get a two week vacation. Most off my customers think it's great that I'm able to take the time off. I haven't lost a customer yet because I take those 2 weeks off. If I ever do loose one because of that time off then screw them, they can get some lowballer to boss around and bow down to their every wish.

I will be going to Ocala Friday to mulch up leaves for a friend that has been in a wheelchair from cancer since Thanksgiving. It'll be a no charge Christmas present. Most of the leaves are White Oak and Hickory trees and have dropped 90% of the leaves.

jvanvliet
12-27-2011, 05:52 AM

As a rule, we don't work the day after Thanksgiving, the last week of the year and the day after new years. It's been unseasonably wet and warm, grass is growing at close to summer time rates. We have "premier" accounts we take care of and as our commitment to quality and service (which they pay for) we make sure these properties remain manicured during the holidays.

I don't consider that kissing (*)... but that's just my perspective.