PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes RH & LH

ed2hess
12-26-2011, 10:32 PM
I can never remember whether the LH is the passenger side or not? And the more I look at the two assemblies I wonder whether it really makes a differnce which way you install them?

ecurbthims
12-26-2011, 11:11 PM
left hand is drivers side ,everything vehiculer is oriented to sitting behind the steering wheel .

Darryl G
12-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Googled it and here's what I got:

Right-Hand, Left-Hand, Which do I need? It is a simple task to determine whether you need a left or right-hand brake assembly. Look at your existing electric trailer brake assembly with the magnet at the bottom. The electric brake actuating arm with the magnet attached is connected to a hinge pin near the top of the backing plate. The actuating arm is going to curve around to the left or right. If it curves to the right, you need a right-hand electric brake assembly. If it curves left, you need a left-hand brake assembly.

ed2hess
12-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Googled it and here's what I got:

Right-Hand, Left-Hand, Which do I need? It is a simple task to determine whether you need a left or right-hand brake assembly. Look at your existing electric trailer brake assembly with the magnet at the bottom. The electric brake actuating arm with the magnet attached is connected to a hinge pin near the top of the backing plate. The actuating arm is going to curve around to the left or right. If it curves to the right, you need a right-hand electric brake assembly. If it curves left, you need a left-hand brake assembly.

My situation is I think a shop put them on backwards a couple years back and I am trying to avoid pulling hubs off another trailer.

Darryl G
12-27-2011, 03:49 PM
left hand is drivers side ,everything vehiculer is oriented to sitting behind the steering wheel .

Yeah but da twailer ain't got no steering wheel, dud it? :laugh:

But yes, you are correct, lol.

ed2hess
01-02-2012, 07:25 PM
So do you think this brake assembly is on correct? This is on the passenger side of the truck and the front of the trailer is to the right.

ecurbthims
01-02-2012, 08:26 PM
looks correct ,the arm is on the front side ,and the front shoe has a shorter friction area .

ed2hess
01-03-2012, 10:34 PM
looks correct ,the arm is on the front side ,and the front shoe has a shorter friction area .

yep that is correct. I am surprised at the little interest on figuring out
what side these things go on. I guess I am the only dumb one. Well the guys that put the set on one of trailers from Brake-r-us didn't get it right. It ended up causing the brakes to grab and heated them up and took out
a bearing.. before I figured out what happened.