PDA

View Full Version : Late employees

jlmac
11-21-2002, 12:03 PM
I have a problem with late employees. Now some of these guys are salaried supervisors also. Owners: How do you deal with this? Employees: What does your employer do when you are late?

Thanks

SIG
11-21-2002, 01:46 PM
How late are they? 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 1 hour???

jlmac
11-21-2002, 02:21 PM
SIG: Good question. They are late anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes. Some are late 2 to 3 times a week or more. Some are on time.

DBLC
11-21-2002, 03:15 PM
Yeah I have the same problem sometimes. This is what I TRY to do....If there are more then 20mins MOST I am ready to suspend. However if it is just 5-10 I verbal warn and explain how they should be setting examples. They HAVE to understand mins are dollars to us. Also, if they are late I keep late!

Stonehenge
11-21-2002, 03:24 PM
It's a lot easier to manage when your a hardass up front. You establish an expected behavior, and the problem seems to evaporate. We only have 2-4 employees each season, but in the last 3 years I can count on one hand the number of times any of them were late.

What do I do? The first time they are late, by even 1 second, I tell them that the work day starts at 7am. If they can't make it then, they need another job.

And usually, if they are more than 5 minutes late that first time, we've already left the yard and are on our way to the jobsite. That is usually a strong enough impression that it doesn't happen anymore.

If the behavior continues, their employment does not.

jlmac
11-21-2002, 03:42 PM
Ok Stonehenge, I like your idea of setting the standards up front. Business can be caos if there are no standards. My problem is that it has been acceptable in the past to be late. So NOW that it is no longer acceptable they see no reason to change their behavior. Am I suppose to fire a long time employee who performs well on the job because he or she is late? How about a fine? Is that reasonable?

Green Pastures
11-21-2002, 05:39 PM
jlmack,

I agree with stonehenge TOTALLY. You have to set a precident from jump.

How to handle it now.......call a meeting of your supervisors, inform of your new late policy. Give each one of them a copy in writing and have them sign for it. DO NOT smile and joke around before, during or after the meeting, this is serious stuff. Do not explain to them the why's of why they cannot be late, this waters down your position, they are (I hope) grown men and should understand your position. Simply state the rules, answer any questions.....and if the questions start to get foolish like........"what do I do if my car breaks down?" "what if my kid gets sick?" stupid stuff like that PUT AN IMMEDIATE STOP to the meeting and go to work. This type of conversation waters down your position and makes you seem NOT serious. Obviously if your kid is sick and or your car breaks down you are still at home and you should have a home phone to call me from.

If they were late 1st time after the meeting I'd warn them STERNLY. 2nd time I'd be gone and they would not be allowed to work or collect pay from that day no matter what time they finally got to the jobsite. 3rd time FIRED.

NO EXCEPTIONS, 30 seconds to 30 minutes it's all late, and if you break down and give one person a break you'll HAVE to give all of them a break.

Be prepared to fire somebody, cuz you're gonna get tested. I'd bet my ZTR on it.

jlmac
11-21-2002, 06:11 PM
Scott, really great info. I agree totally. Now one of my cronically lates is a supervisor, and well paid. I would not want to loose this person and that is probably why I let slide his being late sometimes. Time to lay down the law.

Green Pastures
11-21-2002, 06:20 PM
Absolutely, HE'S setting the standard as it is now, NOT you. This needs to change.

Stonehenge
11-21-2002, 08:19 PM
If you have a concern about that specific supervisor, pull him aside before or after the initial meeting, and tell him what you're telling us, that he's a good guy for the company, but he's always late, and he may jeopardize the policy for everyone else, because if you cut him slack, you'll have to cut everyone else slack. Warn him that no slack will be cut for him.

Tell him you very much want him with the company, but you can't have anyone on board who can't live by the company rules.

Green Pastures
11-21-2002, 08:44 PM
Stonehenge,

OOOH that's good. You da man.

landman
11-21-2002, 08:56 PM
That's why we no longer pay salary too many guys take advantage. I would tell him he is paid salary for X amount of hours andd if he doesn't work those hours you will start taking out of his pay for late time. What we do is if our guys are late we warn them and if it persist then we tell them that we will do 1 of 2 things: 1) if you show up 10 mins late then I will deduct 10 mins for each employee on your crew from the time you punched in. 2) I will not let the other guys on your crew punch in until you get here (this usually works because if the other guys are losing time then the tend to ride the guy who is late and he takes the hint). I had 1 guy who for about a week was showing up 5- 10 mins late everyday, he proceeded to tell me that they changed the train schedule and the train was 5 mins later than in the past, I told him he better start taking an earlier train and he made a stink about the fact that he would have to wake up 1 hour earlier to catch the train a 1/2 hr earlier. like this was my problem! he insisted he wouldn't change the time he took the train and assumed that we would be waiting there for him to arrive. WRONG! I made it a point to tell the other guys to be on time and we left the shop at 7AM on the button, when we got back at 5pm he was sitting outside the shop and proceeded to say something to me and I told him 7am sharp or no work, he argued that he was on time but he wasn't. I told him he better be on time tommorow or don't bother coming next day left the shop at 7:01am no show was driving down the road to the gas station on the corner where we get gas he comes running out of breath I told him Sorry punch in time was at 7 and we left the shop and proceded to tell him that he apparantly did not want his job he promised that he would show up tommorow early. No problem, I said we'll see ten he thought he was actually going to work with us that day I told him sorry he missed the truck from the shop and didn't punch in so come back tommorow. Day 3 no show til 7:05 this particular day I had all the guys working in the shop on Maintenance/ Service and when he walked in he was going to punch in while I was in my office and he was asking where his time card was I said I had removed it from the desk because he was FIRED! made it a point to do this in front of the other employees to use him as an "example". We haven't had many lates after that.

jlmac
11-21-2002, 10:13 PM
Stonehenge, landman, your advice is very helpful. This salaried employee who is late many times has two alarm clocks and still manages to be late. He has a wife, two kids, dogs, cats, mortgage etc... You'd think he'd take things alittle more serious.

But what I'm hearing is that I actually set this thing up by letting him off and not making him accountable for his actions.

I am thinking of a $20 fine each time he (or they) are late. This fine goes to a company fund for charity work or something like that. Two lates in one week is $40 out of his pay, I don't think anyone can afford that. If that doesn't work, being sent home is a great idea. Ok, is my little "$$ idea" any good or should I just send them home?

kris
11-21-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by jlmac
I am thinking of a $20 fine each time he (or they) are late. This fine goes to a company fund for charity work or something like that. Two lates in one week is $40 out of his pay, I don't think anyone can afford that. If that doesn't work, being sent home is a great idea. Ok, is my little "$$ idea" any good or should I just send them home?

Im thinking that it is illegal. Take the other advise ...forget the fines.

Ocutter
11-21-2002, 11:34 PM
What I heard from others is that you can have a substantial year end bonus. Say 500-1000 bucks depending on your situation and personnel. Every time their late you can subtract your 20 from the pot. If their losing their free money, you can bet they'll be on time.

Nebraska
11-21-2002, 11:49 PM
That would be illegal to "fine" him. Go the other route with a bonus plan that is deducted from for infractions like ocutter suggested.

Stonehenge
11-21-2002, 11:49 PM
jlmac, "what you're hearing is that you set things up by letting him off"? Giving him one warning and termination doesn't sound like letting him off.

I don't think that setting up a fine system is practical. How busy are you in the morning? I'm very busy, and don't have the time to devise a whole system and track it to get them to do something they should be doing anyway.

And as Kris said, I don't think you can legally deduct pay they earned, though you could set up a bonus system and deduct from that. But for me, this isn't even something that should fall there. This is basic. Showing up on time for work is a bare minimum.

That guy seems to have a lot to lose.

They need to work or get fired.

If you are really in a pinch and need him to stay on board, and are willing to tolerate his lateness, you may still do it and save face with the rest (at least for a little while). Set his start time 1/2 hour earlier than everyone else. Tell him it's to get the trucks loaded in the morning or something. Then if he's late, nobody else knows about it. But I think this is just a short term fix, and this leniency (sp?) will likely be discovered by the rest in time.

kris
11-21-2002, 11:54 PM
My first reaction when I read ..subtracting from the bonus plan, was ...ya that would work" ...BUT ... Jeff is correct. It should not be to tolerated in the first place.

Nebraska
11-21-2002, 11:58 PM
A bonus plan should reward an employee's good work and contribution towards increases in the bottom line.

Something like this incorporated as a part of the entire bonus plan would go a long way to positively reward the good contributors.

kris
11-22-2002, 12:09 AM
Your right about a Bonus system, BUT he would be not be around to collect it. Being chronically late is not tolerated. It all comes down to how you handle it right off the bat.

Nebraska
11-22-2002, 12:19 AM
I agree.

You'll have to set a standard in the beginning.

The sad thing is, and I echo Stonehenge, that this is just an expected part of an employee's responsibility.

It comes down to work ethic. What is the most effective tool / predictor to measure an pospective employee's work ethic? With the predictor tests etc that are available I have found that my own "gut instinct" could tell if a particular individual would be a problem. That alone has been my most worthwhile predictor.

If I would only listen to the little voice more often!

therainman
11-22-2002, 04:06 AM
being "a hardass" is not the way to go... I am not only a lco but also a supervisor at a large manufacturing plant in my town, therefore I have had much company paid mgmt training. The best way to handle most every employee is to make them feel involved. make each employee know that what they do affects the company, and in turn the companies ability to pay bills, this means payroll. Do not only do this on bad things but also with good things. If my irrigation crew finishes a job under the budgeted hours for that site, they get half of they unexpected increases in profit.... only fair they made you that money......
This has a great effect on breaks and downtime for any reason.
Make goal achievable , not easy make them work, but reward a good hard day work for what it should be. This will help these people take a little more personal stake in every thing they do as a rep. of your co.

ADLAWNCUTTERS
11-22-2002, 05:04 AM
guys you need to relax a little bit.we are cutting grass not heart surgeons. now before you get your underpants in a bunch, if they are good employees cut them some slack.if they are late a few minutes then use that time to do paper work ,maint. etc.but tell them they will have to stay later and clean up equipment etc. now if they are late all the time tell them that the train must leave by a certain time if they are not there they will have to use thier private vehicle to follow you around all day and try to meet you at the first job. no work ,no pay.it's hard enough to find good employees in any field. good luck.

landman
11-22-2002, 07:55 AM
ADLAWNCUTTER:

Maybe that works for you letting your employees come a little late but for some of us who have 12 + employees at the height of the season you can't let it happen because when 1 guy does it then they all think they can do it then before you know it your standing around til 8 am waitng for your help to show up.

AS for the original post here I would try to make your point by telling your worker if he's not on time then he will not work that day and will not get paid for the day. This should not only motivate him to be on time but motivate his wife as well to get on his *****, the money always seems to motivate the wife as well to make sure he gets out of bed on time. This may be a PITA for a day in order to reorganize the work for the day but hopefully it will work and will prevent future problems with lateness. Hit'em where it counts, in the pocket

jlmac
11-22-2002, 09:24 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. This forum is great and I am thankful. These are my first posts here, I have posted at Plowsite since last year. Great info there also for you plowers.

It is true that fining someone is illegal? I think so too. But what about pro sport figures who get fined all the time? Why are they exempt?

I think the most effective choice here is a combination of firmness - "you come in late and you don't work", combined with a reasonable understanding that sometimes - just sometimes an employee can have an excused late. Also educating the employee on just why tardiness can not be accepted. This does not seem to be "hardass" but solid business policy to enable success. Otherwise employees will pick and choose the rules that they think are fair. This is crazy, an organization needs firm reasonable rules. I'll have a sit down with this guy and at least explain my reasoning and then stick to a policy of "if your late, you don't work. If anyone thinks I am nuts to do this please speak up, I appreciate all viewpoints.

jlmac

kris
11-22-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by therainman
If my irrigation crew finishes a job under the budgeted hours for that site, they get half of they unexpected increases in profit.... only fair they made you that money......

I do not agree with this statement. Do you also make them pay when they go over?
It may work for you if you have only the one crew with you onsite all the time.

With multiple crews(construction) guess who gets all the most difficult/challenging jobs?....guess who gets brought in when a job is going bad to straighten it out and do the best in a bad situation? Your best guys ... that's who!
How do you think they would feel if they see all the other guys getting added bonuses and they didn't because they happen to go over on hours or just made them. IM sorry for going off topic .... we need a post about bonuses.

Stonehenge
11-22-2002, 12:05 PM
Adlawn and Rainman,

I'm not going to get intro an arguement; you do what you think will work. I'll do what works for me.

I don't know it all, but I know a fair piece.

Adlawn, jlmac was asking for advice. I tried to provide some. You don't have to like it, but show a little respect. Nobody's underwear is in a bunch.

And Rainman, those mgt practices you mention are sound and should be followed. But he wasn't asking about how to praise an employee. He was asking about what to do about employees being late.

jlmac, because you've already accepted this behavior in the past, I believe that you will have a hard time getting everyone to abide by the new policy without some real resistance and testing of you and the policy. You'll have to be ready to have your bluff called.

jlmac
11-22-2002, 01:21 PM
Stonehenge, I agree completely. I have been tested before when I implemented a $20 fine. I never took out the money. I am now looking for backup so if it does snow I can get my plowing routes done. This could be painful short term, but I feel it is the only solution to a growing problem.

Nebraska
11-22-2002, 04:12 PM
The easy going attitude with your employees may work fine when you have one or two. What are you going to do when you have more than that? I think that jlmac has found himself in a quandry that most growing business faces at some point or another. Is he wrong for allowing this to happen? Absolutely not. Rather he has the flexibility and foresight to change and look for solutions to manage that change as he moves forward.

I don't think anyone has their undie's in a bunch?

Look at the problem from the perspective of the person that has the problem rather than looking at the problem from your own perspective.

Maybe pro-sport figures have it in their contract?

ADLAWNCUTTERS
11-23-2002, 05:07 AM
hello im sorry if i offended anyone with my former post. it depends on your outlook on life and on you business on how you are going to solve this problem.i feel you get more with honey than viniger.i would again leave by a certain time ,if the late employee is not on the job when you start then thier is no work for him, that way thier is no hard feelings or you could be a hard guy a fire everyone for everything.oh even if you have 20 employees if thier not their to catch the train when you leave then thier is no work for them it that simple.good luck

dan deutekom
11-23-2002, 11:30 AM
I once worked for a fellow and the whole crew of 16 was chronically late 10 to 15 minutes each day. This really went against my grain as I am accustumed to coming into work 10 minutes early so that I am ready to go right on time. It took about a week for me to figure out why this was happening. The owner himself would rush in right at starting time and head straight for the bathroom where he would proceed with his morning constitutional for 15 minutes. The longtimers used to try and organize for the day during this time but the owner always changed what he wanted done. The crew just got to the point that it just wasn't worth being in on time because nothing was happening anyway. We figured this morning dump cost the owner about $60.00 a day in wasted wages. The boss has to set the standard and the boss also has to abide by the standard. Most places with chronic late employees also have chronically late bosses, in my experience any way

Nebraska
11-23-2002, 12:01 PM
Imagine that, a $60 crap!

kppurn
11-23-2002, 12:12 PM
I worked for a guy like that. He was always late and never had a clear plan for the day. One morning he and I were to mow the days route together. We didn't leave for about an hour because he was trying to figure out what the other crew was going to do.
I already had the trailer connected and everything loaded. :sleeping:
Employees will follow the leader, be it the owner or a crew leader.

Green Pastures
11-23-2002, 12:44 PM
I had a $60 crap once, but it was when I went to "Jaques le Pepe Ja Swanz" (my attempt at a ritzy sounding name for a French resturant, I forget the real name of the place).

Anyway, I took my girlfriend there for our Prom night dinner and the bill for the both of us was $280 !!!!!!! I figured that the next morning what came out was worth at least $60. :D

AztlanLC
11-24-2002, 12:51 PM
Don't take this on the boss side only, if you have a good worker then talking to him would make him undasrtand that he has to be on time, if you don't treat your employees good they won't treat you good, how many times we have heard people in this forum that they are going to stop working for the man and go solo, when somebody is not happy at his job he won't perform 100% 5 minutes late in the morning is money in this business and it might seems like a lot to you, but at the same time if you don't talk to your employee and find out why he's late and make sure he undarstands that you depend on him, then he might star gettin early but you'll have a employee performing at 80% or maybe less, if you pay him $10.00 hour in a 8 hours day he would work 6.4 hours that's 1.6 hours versus 5 minutes late $16 vs $0.83c.

Treat your employees the way you want'em to treat you.

devildog
12-01-2002, 12:05 PM
Here's the way to get their attention: base their xmas bonus on punching in on time. Formula = $1. for every day they punch-in on time. On over-time days $2. I assure you the problem will all but disappear, and it's an easy way to budget the xmas bonus to.

This is easy for the bookeeper to track on your payroll, easy to manipulate the budget thru the year. You many have to adjust other incentive bonus programs, but its worth getting rid of this headache.

You may notice a slow starter with this program. You can get this one out of the gate by posting the monthly amount next to the time clock. After a month or two that slow starter will be in the race. If that slow starter never gets into the race, its time for the glue factory. With regards... devildog

Turfdude
12-01-2002, 03:50 PM
I too got a little too laxed w/some of my employees over the years. One in particular was late on a regular basis. I do have an employee manual ineffect,and if most guys got a verbal warning, yet alone written up even once, they'd shape up. This one individual in particular was a very good and skilled laborer. Before I took my vacation in September, I pulled him aside and made it clear that he had to show up early by 1/2 hr. every day while I was on vacation to help my foreman set up the crews. He had to be picked up 3 days, and missed 2 inexcusably. Needless to say, I gave him his last warning. The following Saturday he was a no call/no show and as he came in late that Moinday w/ no company shirt of course, I fired him on the spot and took away his Nextel unit. Since then, things have been great for me. The guys are "afraid" of me and get written warnings as needed. I will not put myself in a position where I'll let my employees walk all over me again.
I won't try to be a hardass, just want to have the policies respected and in return respect the employees and their warranted concerns.

Bob

dforbes
12-01-2002, 11:06 PM
when employees are hired they are required to read our rules and sign a piece of paper that states they understand them. One of our rules is if you are late or have an unexcused absence you will recieve minimum wage for the week. Since the law only requires us to pay minimum wage and they know this rule up front there is nothing illegal against this. We have very few problems with this policy. One week of minimum wage and they either quit or show up on time. Employees that are constantly late not only cost you money but can be a big problem to other employees moral.
Dennis

cutntrim
12-02-2002, 12:38 AM
I like the idea of deducting from his time and adding time lost from other guys waiting for him. If he's 15min late and two other guys are waiting for him, then he just lost 45min from his pay.

Giving employees added incentives to be on time via a year-end bonus is also a good idea I think. I'm thinking about incorporating one that would take into account punctuality, adherence to uniform policy, and use of safety equipment (esp. hearing protection).

It pains me to admit it, but I am one of those chronically late owners. I'm not particularly good at multi-tasking (my wife says men in general suck at this) so I tend to lose track of time when distracted by more than one task at hand. For example, when I awake I may check phone messages, check the weather, make a change to the route list for the day, change and feed my young son, feed the cats, make my lunch, take out the garbage, etc... Before I know it I'm gonna be late to the yard. Usually I'm under 5min. late but it pisses me off anyway to have 4 guys standing around waiting for me knowing I'm paying them to do that.

So for you chronically late OWNERS like me, I suggest you set your own start time 1/2hr ahead of everyone elses, or bump there's forward 1/2hr and leave yours where it normally is. Then when you're 10min. late you're actually 20min. early!

Works great in theory anyway. Of course, your wife might give birth to another child (as mine did on Nov.1st), which means sleepless nights and even more early a.m. responsibilities...well you get the picture. I'm just glad the lawn season's done so I can get some rest in between plowing.

MJM
12-03-2002, 02:21 AM
So, you guys would honestly pay someone a bonus/incentive for something they already should be doing? Whats next? .50 everytime they fill the trimmer with gas when its empty??

I have heard alot of people talk about fines here and you better talk to a lawyer before doing so or you will lose your shirt. Also someone mentioned requiring an employee to come in a half hour ealy. You didnt mention if you paid that employee for that time but if you TOLD him to be there at a certain time, his pay starts then, not when everyone else clocks in. Be careful out there, you cant just do what you want.

The comment about min. wage I was going to mention. We dont do it but I have heard of companies who do. Just make sure you have it in writing and the employee signs it.

Mark

therainman
12-03-2002, 03:56 AM
I am not talking about paying them for somthing they should already be doing... I am talking about rewarding them for going the extra mile. If I have budgeted a job to take 100 man hours and they get it done in 90 they have made me extra money to budget. I have no problem with passing on some of that at them. I am not however saying this happens all of the time. I do not pad my times I try to make them as accurate as possible. If I am way off on something they always tell me"hey we can do that in 2 days not 3" I will adjust acordingly, bid as such, and them pay as such.
This only helps to promote new ideas and methods to be used in the job. They have take lawns that myself with another employee could never do in less than 1.5 hrs and trimmed it down to barely over an hour every time.... It is all in the way they set up to do the job. same equipment same quality, different approach, better efficiency. Therefore I rewarded them one time payment on lawns...
Quality does play a part here.. If things are done quickly, but the quality is not there, even once, the entire month is now not eligible for bonuses. This works for me, maybe not everyone but it does work for me. I have a small crew this maybe why I can make this work.

shawn

jlmac
12-03-2002, 08:59 AM
MJM, yeah I think we can all agree that a fine is against the law. I did have a question that no one answered about all the fines in major league ball players, football etc. Why are they exempt? This thread continues to provide great ideas and different viewpoints.

Having started the thread, an update: I had a sit down with the supervisor, 5 years working for us... Told him that it was unexceptable for him to be late, that it was not responsible behavior and that it could not continue. So far so good. I was going to have a policy of no work that day if you are late but then the company suffers. So I'm going to implement the minimum wage idea. If the behavior continues I think I'll find another supervisor, even though it is hard to do.

As far as late employees in the winter. Can't really send someone home when your getting a foot of snow. So my thinking is, get the job done, then if the problem persists find someone who can be on time. I think I'll give them one free late per month, and a requirement to call if they're going to be late because of a sick child or a reasonable excuse. This could be abused. I think it comes down to examining the pattern of behavior and making a decision. So much fun being an owner.

MJM
12-03-2002, 10:10 AM
Shawn,
My post wasnt in response to your policy. I think what you do is great, as a matter of fact that is what I do.

Jlmac,
Make sure ifyou do the min. wage thing you put it in writing!! Start a company manual even if that is the only thing in it for now but get it in writing and have them sign it. Otherwise you can run into big trouble.

If you really want to change the behavior I think you need to rethink your policy. My opinoin is that you can not allow once a month or snow work ok I'll let it slide. You need to stick to your guns. I know its hard when their is work to be done. Send the guy home and the message will be real clear to everyone that this will not be tolerated. We have all been there where we let things slide due to the workload. Yes you may take a small hit on profit or you might have to work a little harder/longer, but in the long run sticking to you guns will pay off.

Mark

jlmac
12-03-2002, 01:15 PM
Mark,

Good point. I might just have to bite the bullet and let em go. We'll see.

turfman59
12-04-2002, 09:21 PM
When a employee is chronically late it is time to put this offense in writing. This starts the progressive discipline action. If you can leave the shop without your best man your hurting your own business ,or do you really need the guy anyway?. If it happens again I would make him put it in writing how he plans to improve this chronic lateness,,, sort of, own his own problem... I wouldnt be in the business of being his Mommy or Daddy telling him how to fix it, its his problem and its just plain laziness. I for one have worked for 25 years for someone else and have been charged with helping motivate a work force. When you boil it down this guy is not motivated if he is showing up late.. and is showing his lack of respect for your company. I heard all the B.S. from the Generation Xers and now the Y's Its all a bunch of snot nose whiney crap.. They all wanna get paid for 50 hrs and only put in no more than 35 hrs.. as long as they can afford a car with shiny wheels and a sub-woofer in the back there needs are met..

If it continues remember one thing....

Birth is easier than Resurection Run him off!!!

Sorry for the Rant

Grasshog
12-06-2002, 11:25 PM
jlmac its simple

If you are late three times in one year with out calling a head to inform me. You are now unemployed. For those people who are allways late. Call them in the office. Explain to them how they are showing disrespect by being late. If they have something else they would rather be doing you are willing to replace them and give them all the free time they might want.

Turfdude
12-07-2002, 10:08 PM
Last year I started a thread re: Employee Manual - how many have or use them. There weren't many responses and I thinkIe-mailed less than 5 copies. Our hours of operation as well as all employee responsibilities and company procedures are spelled out.

Oh and yes MJM - the employee who was supposed to show up early would most definately have been paid. We have a time clock at the shop. This helps track time properly and if there is a discrepany on hours, the employee gets a copy of their timecard w/their pay check.

Bob

Equipguy
12-08-2002, 08:27 AM
Make the rules clear from the start & pay by the hour. If your late the first time have a friendly chat. 2nd time, send them home for the day. 3rd time, cut them loose. The others will get the message real fast.

As far as bonus, we pay $50 per month, must show up every day scheduled and work all day.

baddboygeorge
12-13-2002, 01:50 AM
her is what i do about late or no show employees if i start a man out at 10 an hour an say he is now up to 12 an hour if he is late one day out of the week or doesnt show up i cut his pay back down to the tenn dollar an hour marker he missed out on 80 bucks for a forty hour week do that a couple times an they learn the system try it works well or at least it has with me

JimLewis
12-13-2002, 12:22 PM
I agree with a lot of the above posts. I didn't take time to read them all. But you got to take a stern stance on this stuff. Especially because when you are working with crews, and one guy gets there at 7:30 and their teammate gets there at 7:45, then you're paying the first guy for 15 minutes just to sit and wait.

I tell my guys they are free to be late as long as they don't mind paying me back for the time I paid the first employee to wait. And I even say that tongue-and-cheek. I am just trying to get a point across. But I don't accept people being late when they work with a crew. It costs me money.

I let my foreman be a little late on days when he's working alone or in the winter (when he's almost always working alone). He gets a few breaks here and there because he runs my entire business for me when I am gone. And there aren't many guys who can do that and be trusted. He's amazing. So I allow him a little leeway on a few things. Still, he's pretty close to on time most days. But if he's working with anyone else, I make sure he knows he's to be on time.

Katwalk
12-19-2002, 07:45 PM
On time every time.....early every day.....work starts at 7, I start absolutely no later than 6:30. If someone decides they will come in early to beat me there...I am already there. I love my job and look forward to being there.....that is why I am the boss, owner, president or any other fancy name you like. To get workers to have the same passion and desire to come to work is going to be tough in any job in this world from $15,000 a year to whatever amount is alot to you. I don't like to offer a bonus at the end of the month for being on time each scheduled day. Tell me this, when did any of you every receive extra cash just for being on time???? Work starts at 7am.....that means that your boots are tied, coffee is down, cell phone is off, ready to go. One guy 10 minutes late every day and he is on a three man crew. 10 mins. times 3 men=30 mins....times 5 days equals....2 1/2 hours a week times 50 weeks is 75 man hours just for ten minutes. 75 man hours times a modest rate per hour of $10 is $750 plus all the add-ons we have as employers. It equates to well over a grand for that three man crew. The $750 alone is $250 each in bonus at the end of the year. It really helps to put the time and numbers on paper for them to physically touch and read and refer back to really understand why we are "HARDASS" about being on time.

MDMowing
03-18-2003, 06:54 PM
My guys get three strikes and it's OUT you go, and don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you, and don't bother to come back.
:blob2:

If they are more than 5 minutes late, they are warned and this goes in their work record.