PDA

View Full Version : How to add irrigation services?

weed wacker 2
12-27-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm looking at adding on irrigation services to our business. We have did maintenance on them before but never installed one. What are the first steps to take when installing a new system?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fireguy97
12-27-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm looking at adding on irrigation services to our business. We have did maintenance on them before but never installed one. What are the first steps to take when installing a new system?

Getting fully Trained (application, design, flow, and installation), Certified, Licensed, and Insured.

KrayzKajun
12-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Getting fully Trained (application, design, flow, and installation), Certified, Licensed, and Insured.

Bingo! I would recommend an English class in there also. :dizzy:

Mike Leary
12-27-2011, 02:11 PM

I would add, don't open your mouth about price unless you're sure of the numbers; clients have an amazing memory for original "from the hip" quotes.

Wet_Boots
12-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Om mani padme hum

TDUdT5z_CBU

GreenI.A.
12-27-2011, 04:39 PM
How is your customer base? If you really want to get your company into doing irrigation with out extensive existing knowledge I would strongly consider hiring a full time tech with plenty of design, install and diagnosis experience. You may have to put some money into marketing to get enough work, but if your good at it word will get around. Before you try to get into installs take a look at the past posts in this forum. There are plenty of stories here of us going to repair a system installed by someone inexperienced, the repairs quickly add up and it isn't unusual for he cheaper option to be to just tear it out and start all over. Also you may consider talking to a small irrigation company in your area, you may find one who will agree to design and install for you as a sub contractor, and then allow you to do labor and watch over his shoulder to learn from him.

muddywater
12-27-2011, 06:20 PM
you can learn enough to get started online. jesse stryker tutorials, hunter has a hydraulics pdf. Study... then do. Yeah you will f* up, but I would rather f*up on my own and learn the hard way then EVER work for someone else.

Mike Leary
12-27-2011, 07:13 PM
I would rather f*up on my own and learn the hard way then EVER work for someone else.

I did, and every time I drove by the couple of first early sites, I averted my eyes in shame.:cry:

txirrigation
12-27-2011, 08:27 PM
I did, and every time I drove by the couple of first early sites, I averted my eyes in shame.:cry:

The best thing I ever did was go back to my first 4 installs, knock on the door, and say,"Hi, remember me? I am here to re-do your system for free."

They were good systems, but I always wanted to go back and see how far I had come. It made me feel good, and it only cost me the price of the crew for a day and some parts.

Got a few referrals on that also.

They all said that the systems were fine, I laughed and told them... No they arnt. At the time I thought they were top notch though.

Mike Leary
12-27-2011, 08:50 PM
They all said that the systems were fine, I laughed and told them... No they arnt. At the time I thought they were top notch though.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Autoflow
12-27-2011, 09:37 PM

haha I think most of us would look back on our earlier systems and cringe. We may have thought they were perfect at the time, but after going back and seeing them 10 years down the track it was a different story.

Nothing beats experience. You can do all the study you like but it doesn't mean **** without experience in the field. I mean, I used to think Orbit were decent controllers. Sadly a lot of people here believe they are :australiaflag:

GreenI.A.
12-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Everytime there is a new post on the "Hall of Hacks & Pikers picture thread" I cringe and hope it isn't a picture of one of my first installs

Kiril
12-28-2011, 08:19 AM
haha I think most of us would look back on our earlier systems and cringe. We may have thought they were perfect at the time, but after going back and seeing them 10 years down the track it was a different story.

Nothing beats experience. You can do all the study you like but it doesn't mean **** without experience in the field. I mean, I used to think Orbit were decent controllers. Sadly a lot of people here believe they are :australiaflag:

Armed with the knowledge of how to do things right, when it comes to installs, experience only becomes a major factor in knowing what materials/products are best for the job.

While I despise orbit controllers, I have clients that have been using the same orbit junk controller for well over a decade.

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Separate yourself from the crowd and buy a Rain Master remote. Www.rainmaster.com
Posted via Mobile Device