PDA

View Full Version : Mowing rig truck

towtruck212
12-27-2011, 05:04 PM
What is the most common truck used to pull the mowing rig? What do you think is the best truck to use considering dependability and fuel mileage? I know most people will want to say whatever their favorite truck is but be honest. I run a f-150 and a ranger. I dont think what i have is the best but they get the job done.

weeze
12-27-2011, 05:17 PM
i think the most common is full sized trucks or even alot of diesel trucks (ford,chevy,dodge) but i use a 4cyl toyota for dependability and good fuel mileage.

Ridin' Green
12-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Many different trucks will do the job depending on your equipment/trailer, but-

I'm betting the number one ranked/most common truck is going to be a 3/4 ton 4X4 from one of the three major makers, with gas trucks out numbering the diesels (though I drive a gasser right now, I'm a fan of the diesels).

nightshutter
12-27-2011, 05:55 PM
It all depends on how versatile you want the truck to be. Strictly mowing with a small/medium trailer you could do 1/2 or 3/4 ton. I personally have a 1 ton dodge dually. I use it for everything from pulling a 2 1/2 ton trailer to hauling loads of topsoil. For 2012 i will be adding a "smaller" truck for mowing/fertilizer. That truck will be pulling a single axle trailer. That truck/trailer is more for the smaller lawns to save on fuel costs. It is kind of a pain driving a 7 1/2 ton rig(dually and trailer) to go mow a $35 lawn.

mowerbrad
12-27-2011, 06:28 PM
I do see quite a few Ford trucks pulling landscape trailers, mostly F250's. Though I do see plenty of Chevy trucks towing as well. Not too many Dodges at all.

I really can't say which truck is the "best". People have different tastes and different needs, some trucks fit those tastes/needs better than others for that particular person. There really is no way to judge by popularity of trucks either, since they could just be popular because of price and not because they are the most dependable, can tow the most or their fuel mileage.

For me, my truck is the "best" option..but that's just for me. It fits my needs the best in every aspect. But plenty of other guys may not find my truck to be their "best" option since they may not like the extended cab, short box or they may need a larger series truck or diesel engine instead of gas.

Basically, there is no such thing as the "best" mowing truck.

weeze
12-27-2011, 06:40 PM
i agree with brad. it depends on your needs. i just pull 1 ztr mower on a single axle 5x10 trailer. occasionally i throw the 21" on there as well. i haul the blower, trimmer, and gas in the truck bed so a 4cyl is all i need. i do very little landscaping, i don't do any snow plowing, and i don't haul 2-3 mowers or anything like that so it makes sense for me since the truck is cheaper and gets better gas mileage.

you just have to find what truck fits your buisness plan i guess. don't buy something you think you might need 5 years from now but just get what you need for the next few years and see how it goes. you can always trade it in for something bigger if the need arises or keep it and just buy another bigger truck. it all comes down to your buisness plan and if you want to stay small or if you want to have multiple crews. it also depends on the type of work you want to do. do you want to do anything and everything or do you just want to only offer a few services? it's basically wide open to whatever you want to do with your business.

Richard Martin
12-27-2011, 06:49 PM
In my area I see mostly 1/2 ton and smaller trucks. I do occassionally see a 3/4 ton or flatbed-dovetail but those are in the minority. It's also not that often that I see walkbehinds or trimmer racks on trailers either.

soloscaperman
12-27-2011, 08:27 PM
I use to see a lot of 90's Chevy and Fords but starting to notice more New GMC trucks.

jsslawncare
12-27-2011, 09:17 PM
I run a 2005 Dodge 2500 2wd 4 door with a Hemi, about 18 - 20 mpg.

greentech2007
12-28-2011, 01:23 AM
I drive a 2003 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy with a 8.1 liter and a supercharger seems to get the job done. I like diesels but seems like on mowing route theres a lot of starting and stopping and short distances not so sure if its very good on them. But also think if your using them for heavy loads or in a landscaping business would be the way to go. I dont know guess its just what guys doing more of. My 8.1 dont get awsome fuel milage but feel like i have a trailer behind it enough that it justifies it & also have no lack for power when i have to put some weight on behind it. Like to here some more.

soloscaperman
12-28-2011, 04:37 AM
I drive a 2003 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy with a 8.1 liter and a supercharger seems to get the job done. I like diesels but seems like on mowing route theres a lot of starting and stopping and short distances not so sure if its very good on them. But also think if your using them for heavy loads or in a landscaping business would be the way to go. I dont know guess its just what guys doing more of. My 8.1 dont get awsome fuel milage but feel like i have a trailer behind it enough that it justifies it & also have no lack for power when i have to put some weight on behind it. Like to here some more.

We need video's! My goal is to have what you have or a STS turbo on that 8.1 which they have very good reviews for towing and MPG's.

GreenEarthLawnCare
12-28-2011, 12:22 PM
My first 2 years in business i used 4wd 5speed 4.3 liter 95 s10 it was a great little truck but my needs kinda out grew it at the end of this year. I pulled a 14 foot trailer with a 60inch lazer z and a 52inch turf tracer on it. It did a pretty good job at pulling it but it had its down sides. There wasnt much room to haul anything in the bed and it was pretty over loaded most of the time. Plus its kinda hilly in my area and i found myself always running the dog snot out of it do get around haha. It really all depends what you plan on doing with the truck.. if all your doing is hauling 1 or 2 mowers around then a half ton would be great.. you could even get away with a smaller truck if you had to( lots of ppl do). 3/4 ton or one ton trucks are very nice for hauling stuff all day everyday there breaks are bigger and there payload is more. But unless you get a diesel most 3/4 and one ton trucks share the same engines as half tons. It pretty much all comes down to what truck you want and you feel best will suit your needs. My personal opinion would be to get something right in the middle so if you did get bigger you wouldnt be over loaded and under powered. There really is no right or wrong truck out there tho.. Best of luck!

Fine Gardens Landscaping
12-31-2011, 04:44 AM
You should buy a truck that has a good color to put a sign against. Plus you may want to add a second truck later and having them the same color might be important. White is the most common color (more trucks available) and the best background for signage so if I was you I'd consider that.

Turf Commando
01-04-2012, 11:01 PM
I do see quite a few Ford trucks pulling landscape trailers, mostly F250's.

There's a reason behind this ...Chevy guys are just a little slow in thinking...:waving: