PDA

View Full Version : On line tire sales?????

integrityman
12-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Who out there has purchased from Tire Rack, discounttires, online tires etc.?

Who is truly the cheapest?

Good/ bad stories?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Danscapes
12-27-2011, 07:54 PM
I bought a set of re-treads from Treadwright.com last year for around $500. Size was 265-75-16 load range "E", not a single problem with them to date. As rough as I am on tires and going into the dumps, it doesn't make since to spend around $1000 for rubber.

howierd3866
12-27-2011, 08:26 PM
yes you can buy tires cheaper on line than local..BUT wait till one goes bad you seatting at home waitting for the replacement to come in...OR buy an unmatch one to fix the problem....I was spenting 18k to 24k a year at our local tire store..When I have problems I need to be rolling...dealing with a local I dont have that problem they keep me going..Yes cheaper somewhere else but time is more important to me..Time = Money

unkownfl
12-27-2011, 09:20 PM
I bought many tires online. One problem is they try to hammer you to install them if you bought them online. Unless, you deal with tires.com and there is one local to install. Its really not worth while to buy online anymore. Most will meet or come close to online prices when you figure shipping.

Keith
12-27-2011, 09:50 PM
I used to buy tires online all the time. I remember getting tires for my old F150 for about $225 shipped for the set. Ahh, the good old days. But for the last few years I seem to get a better deal locally. I bought Bridgestones Revos for my F350 for just over $700. cheaper than Tirerack was, even before the shipping was tacked on. And shipping those was over $100. I couldn't find a better deal than the price I got on the Firestones for my Ranger. Trailer tires are the same way. I have been buying them cheaper locally. About the only exception is the tires for my car. I tend to get a better deal on those online.

GreenI.A.
12-27-2011, 09:59 PM
I agree with Unkown. You can get them cheaper online, but most shops will hammer you on mounting and balancing. When I had my lifted jeep, I used to buy online because I had bead lockers and wasn't worrying about balance at all. Then it was worth it. But most places around me will charge batween $35-50 per tire to mount and balance if bought elsewhere. But if you buy through them and pay their markup their prices usually include balancing and mounting.

I use townfair tire, great warentees. The olny problem I had was with my denali, they won't warentee tires mounted on aftermarket 20"+ wheels

professional
12-28-2011, 08:41 AM
I was in the local Ford dealer getting a state inspection and failed for tires. They quoted just under $900.00 for OE Goodyear. (20" tire for F250) Told them I'd check around. I've used Tirerack before. Tirerack had a good price on the tires, but after shipping and someone to mount/balance them, they were more. They were the next cheapest at just over $1,000. Everyone else was $1,100 and up. I went back to the Ford dealer. Just a short story to say that you never know who could have the best price.

Jason Rose
12-28-2011, 11:45 AM
I think I'd stick with someone local as well... The mount and balance is usually free, or included in the price of the tire, and many places offer free repairs (patches) for the life of the tires. I've been dealing with peerless tire here because they are close to my house and it's pretty sweet when I had a couple nails in the newish tires, went by there and they patched them up at no charge. If they were getting on the bald side I'd just plug them myself but those who have done that knows how much work it can be sometimes and it's really not good for the tire.

KrayzKajun
12-28-2011, 11:50 AM
I stay local for tires. I have a friend who manages a Tire Kingdom, so he always gets me the best deals and helps me out in case of a tire emergency.
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
12-28-2011, 12:03 PM
I've bought online before for my jeep and after shipping and install at a local shop I broke even. Now I buy locally but do my research online, and the only way I would buy online is if it was a sweet deal and I was buying wheels at the same time.