PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance- Do You Have it?

PlantscapeSolutions
12-29-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm fortunate and I have very good and cost effective insurance because my wife works for the state of Texas. The deductible is only $25. I think it cost me less then $100 when my last child was born. The cost has gone up in the last year but it's still way cheaper then what I could get myself. I think we may be paying $300 a month for a family of five.

My wife worked for United Way for a few years and I think it cost me $2000 when my other child was born. Everything cost me money and was only partially covered.

When sales people call about insurance they hang up the second I tell them about my state insurance because they know they can't even come close on the price.

I'd like to hear what situation others are in.

KrayzKajun
12-29-2011, 10:15 AM
I had ok insurance when I worked for the police dept. At this moment I don't have health insurance. My wife has it through her work, and it is very good. If I don't get the Arborist/Hort position I applied for, my wife will just add me to her insurance.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
12-29-2011, 10:31 AM
My wife has blue cross through her work. I think its like $500 a month for health and dental. Er visits are like $150 and I think office visits are like 20 bucks. I dont get many prescriptions but I dont think I have ever paid more than like $10 for one. Her work pays a good portion I think like 75%. I went a long time without health insurance. I have had a few injuries and accidents over the past few years that have made me really appreciate having it.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-29-2011, 10:50 AM
My kids have had two ER visits in the last year and it was $100. A bunch of ER clinics have popped in our area and the copay is half at places like that.

larryinalabama
12-29-2011, 11:09 AM
I have a 5000$ dectuable, after that my insurance pays 100% with no limit. I pay 135$ per month just went up 20$, still not bad at age 47.

greenstar lawn
12-29-2011, 12:02 PM
yes I do. I have Total Health Care and then Guardian for Dental. Pay about $145.00 a month. Its PPO too

calvinslawnservices
12-29-2011, 12:03 PM
I have blue cross blue shield of Michigan. I pay $25 for office visits, $100 for urgent care, $150 for ER. I haven't been to the doctor in like 5 years. (Knock on wood). I am 20, so this is through my parents. I will have this till I'm 26, because I am in school.

Richard Martin
12-29-2011, 05:46 PM
I have Cigna through my wife's work. They regret taking us on. I had $60k worth of procedures done the first year.

greendoctor
12-29-2011, 05:54 PM
No. In my state, there has been a longstanding law that requires employers to provide fulltime employees with medical insurance. Employers are required to cover over 80% of the cost of the premium. Therefore, the self employed are gouged to make up the difference. I have no wife, no kids, do not drink or smoke, but medical insurance will cost me close to $200 a month for a plan that does not cover much. I have not seen the inside of an emergency room in decades or a doctor's office for almost 10 years.

32vld
12-29-2011, 08:05 PM
No. My wife is PT. Her employer only gives it to FT. And you have to know Someone to get FT.

After paying mort, taxes, util, nothing left over to pay for insurance. Yet President Obamination and the Dem's passed a law that will charge me a penalty because I don't have insurance.

gusbuster
12-29-2011, 10:10 PM
u guys don't know how lucky u are.

I'm self employed and pay over 300 a month. I have a 5,000 deductible but i've never reached that yet. they kill me on my meds i have to take for hypertension.

But here's the thing that all of you who have this as a benefit, who pays for it?

And you wonder why we are having this budget mess.

John

PlantscapeSolutions
12-29-2011, 10:52 PM
There no doubt that the little guys or small employers don't have the ability to shop their policy around and get any sort of discount. The big plans very well may be subsidized on the backs of the small plans to a certain extent. At the very least to large employers get volume pricing and the little guys get take it in the azz pricing. The worst part is the take it in the azz copay is $1000.

gusbuster
12-30-2011, 12:50 AM
There no doubt that the little guys or small employers don't have the ability to shop their policy around and get any sort of discount. The big plans very well may be subsidized on the backs of the small plans to a certain extent. At the very least to large employers get volume pricing and the little guys get take it in the azz pricing. The worst part is the take it in the azz copay is $1000.

no disagreement with you, just want to add though try finding somebody to take you if you have a pre-existing condition. With big group plans, they cant pick n choose, but with small companies, forget about it.

Even if you go through a trade group like I tried, not any cheaper either.

gardenkeeper88
12-30-2011, 07:49 AM
i'm back in the process getting quotes. I had an agent from the company I have my biz ins. and she sends me a quote that includes this exclusion. injuries or illness from work related causes. I'm the frickin owner. I don't have workmans comp on myself so I ask her this was to help me? she didn't see that exclusion. DUH. the first prices coming back are for 5-7K per person deduct and premiums are 5K per year. I'm waiting back on some HSA quotes. I'm 53 my wife has not been in the hospital since the kids were born (youngest now 27) I've had no surgeries or hopitalization and the only meds is i have some inflamation pills for arthritis.

muddywater
12-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Nobody has an hsa account?

PlantscapeSolutions
12-30-2011, 08:41 AM
no disagreement with you, just want to add though try finding somebody to take you if you have a pre-existing condition. With big group plans, they cant pick n choose, but with small companies, forget about it.

Even if you go through a trade group like I tried, not any cheaper either.

Very good point. I'm sure there are some guys that think why do I need insurance now when I'm young, fit, and healthy? Your highlighting the pre-existing condition issue is why it's important to get insurance as soon as possible. Once you have an existing issue it can be like a scarlet letter. The insurers can reject you or price it so high that it's the same as being rejected.

gusbuster
12-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Very good point. I'm sure there are some guys that think why do I need insurance now when I'm young, fit, and healthy? Your highlighting the pre-existing condition issue is why it's important to get insurance as soon as possible. Once you have an existing issue it can be like a scarlet letter. The insurers can reject you or price it so high that it's the same as being rejected.
Well under this national health plan that will probably get eventually shot down as unconstitutional, pre-existing conditions wont matter.

As long as there are for profit health insurance companies, always going to be a problem.

At one time this was true, up to 25% of a GM car went to premiums for health insurance for their workers.

FoghornLeghorn
01-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Kajun/Plantscapes, if you're a Veteran you get VA coverage. Zero deductible, zero premium, zero copays, free surgeries, free prescriptions until the day you die. I hope you check it out, because it's just about the best deal around.

I've used the system for a $25,000 hand surgery, $12,000+ medical imaging tests, etc. I'm sure there's a satellite office near your part of New Orleans. Check it out, tell 'em I sent ya!
Plantscapes, the Austin clinic is in southeast Austin. Contrary to the media, I have found every doctor and staff member to be thorough, compassionate and professional. The facilities are clean and new equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device

t608
01-01-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm self employed and pay 436 a month to my health insurance plan. My deductible I think is 250. I have diabetes so insurance is much needed. The insurance paid out some thing like 20k last year to dr.s and meds.