PDA

View Full Version : Direct mailing postcards. Do they payoff?

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
12-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Who has done direct mailing postcards? Has it been a worthwhile marketing strategy for you or not? What has been your R.O.I.?
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
12-29-2011, 06:46 PM
I love direct mailing. I made a new mailing list about 6000 addresses. I plan to do a big mailout mid-end January. And then do several smaller target mailouts to areas I get a good response from the mass mailout.
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
12-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Kajun,
What does a 6000 mailer cost you? Do you use a co. To do it for you?
Posted via Mobile Device

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Why January? Seems the timing might be a little early, what's your thoughts on timing, etc.? I believe timing is EVERYTHING!

KrayzKajun
12-29-2011, 07:00 PM
I do them myself. It would prolly be cheaper to use a company. I just don't trust their mailing list. I know exactly which houses and subdivisions get targeted. The home value, and income vary way too much here to base a list just off of that. Plus in a 5mile radius from my house there atleast 15 different Zipcodes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
12-29-2011, 07:12 PM
In my experience, no they didn't work. I did 3 to the same exact neighborhoods. The only calls I got from them were from nutjobs. I spent a good chunk of change b/t the custom postcards and the postage. I would invest the money in a website instead.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
12-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Why January? Seems the timing might be a little early, what's your thoughts on timing, etc.? I believe timing is EVERYTHING!

I'm in Southern Louisiana. We usually start weekly mowing 1st week of March. I'm actually going mow about 10yds 2morrow. Timing is key, so is name recognition. Ive been around long enough now that name recognition is really paying off. I get a lot of customers who call and say I got your postcard in the mail & I remember seeing your truck and trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-29-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm in Southern Louisiana. We usually start weekly mowing 1st week of March. I'm actually going mow about 10yds 2morrow. Timing is key, so is name recognition. Ive been around long enough now that name recognition is really paying off. I get a lot of customers who call and say I got your postcard in the mail & I remember seeing your truck and trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Very True, Name recognition is a factor, and I also don't think there is any right or wrong way to advertise, but like said before timing is EVERYTHING, but I will admit my most successful methods of advertising have been FREE....

Southscapes03
12-29-2011, 07:59 PM
I sent out 10k thru Val-Pak once and got 1 call that didn't yield any $$$$. So in my experience, its a waste of money. That being said, I dont advertise at all....its all word of mouth. Every dime I have ever put towards something that had my company name and phone # was a waist.:hammerhead:

But if i was going to spend money on advertising, if would have to be on the web, and ensure that when someone searched for lawn care or landscaping in your area on google, your name was on the top 5 of the list

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-29-2011, 08:03 PM
I sent out 10k thru Val-Pak once and got 1 call that didn't yield any $$$$. So in my experience, its a waste of money. That being said, I dont advertise at all....its all word of mouth. Every dime I have ever put towards something that had my company name and phone # was a waist.:hammerhead:

But if i was going to spend money on advertising, if would have to be on the web, and ensure that when someone searched for lawn care or landscaping in your area on google, your name was on the top 5 of the list

I could see val-pak as a waste and not efficient advertising for the simple fact that your mixing yourself in between other ads, etc. and will most likely get skipped over or not looked at period, I think a direct mail postcard is more efficient and better seen and has a better ROI% in the long run....

Southscapes03
12-29-2011, 08:15 PM
I could see val-pak as a waste and not efficient advertising for the simple fact that your mixing yourself in between other ads, etc. and will most likely get skipped over or not looked at period, I think a direct mail postcard is more efficient and better seen and has a better ROI% in the long run....

LOL! I can see your point, I was young and stupid at that time:dizzy: Oh and I was also sleeping with the chick that sold it to me, so I might not have been thinking with the right head!

How are you guys aquiring your mailing lists for the postcards?

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-29-2011, 08:19 PM
LOL! I can see your point, I was young and stupid at that time:dizzy: Oh and I was also sleeping with the chick that sold it to me, so I might not have been thinking with the right head!

How are you guys aquiring your mailing lists for the postcards?

I do my own lists, my county has an excellent property site and I can search subdivisions and neighborhoods and in 1 click do labels for mailing, very nice system, not sure if other counties have a good property system.... Oh and lesson #1 in business, never mix personal relationships and business, they just don't mix, like trying to mix water and oil together, lol

grassmasterswilson
12-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Looks like I can download addresses from my county's site. For those who do their own mailings how do you get a lower rate of postage? I can get the list for free and get the company to print them off. They charge me around 24 cents for postage.

Can you get a bulk postage rate if you mail 1000's at a time?

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Looks like I can download addresses from my county's site. For those who do their own mailings how do you get a lower rate of postage? I can get the list for free and get the company to print them off. They charge me around 24 cents for postage.

Can you get a bulk postage rate if you mail 1000's at a time?

I haven't done it that way but I think you can get a bulk mail permit and have it printed on all your postcards, and I'm not sure if they bill you for every mailer after they mail them or if its something you have pre pay, etc...

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-29-2011, 10:22 PM
I do see direct mail postcards as effective. I got some nice biz off sending only 1000 cards out last season.

wbw
12-30-2011, 09:11 AM

Val-Pak is not direct mail.

HBFOXJr
12-30-2011, 06:02 PM
I do them myself. It would prolly be cheaper to use a company. I just don't trust their mailing list. I know exactly which houses and subdivisions get targeted. The home value, and income vary way too much here to base a list just off of that. Plus in a 5mile radius from my house there atleast 15 different Zipcodes.
Posted via Mobile Device

I created my own list of 6k, but shipped it off to the pc people and let them do it all. I also hd them add to it based on the demographics of my list and that worked too.

Direct mail is just dependent on so many factors. Timing, weather, appearance, the offer, the service being offered, etc. Some things seem to sell well via a post card, some internet, etc. It's a tough game to figure out and the rules change over time.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-30-2011, 07:59 PM
In the past we have had great success with post cards but in the last few years they are less and less effective. But I can not say weather its the 3 year recession we are in or if the internet has finale over taken direct mail as the preferred way to advertise.

Fine Gardens Landscaping
12-31-2011, 12:33 AM
I shipped out 1000 post cards in late October and only got one call. I'm going to try it again in March. Should probability work out better in March then October but I still think the return rate will always be somewhat paltry with mailers.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-31-2011, 02:55 AM
Who has done direct mailing postcards? Has it been a worthwhile marketing strategy for you or not? What has been your R.O.I.?
Posted via Mobile Device

As long as I get at least 1-2 jobs on a round of 5000 I'm happy. If this was 2006 I would expect better results. It's all about the deal you offer and trying to connect with the customer for the split second they look at your postcard before it gets trashed.

You also need to send out multiple rounds of postcards. You should expect the first round you mail to get the least amount of returns.

KrayzKajun
01-01-2012, 06:59 PM
We are running out of time. Its Jan 1st already. Ughhh never enough time.
Posted via Mobile Device

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-01-2012, 07:30 PM
We are running out of time. Its Jan 1st already. Ughhh never enough time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you printing, peeling and sticking your own address labels? If so just curious what size labels you got? Also the postage, you gotta peel and stick a bunch of stamps?

KrayzKajun
01-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Are you printing, peeling and sticking your own address labels? If so just curious what size labels you got? Also the postage, you gotta peel and stick a bunch of stamps?

yes i am. i do want to try cactus mailing, but inorder to really target the areas i want im gunna do it myself this round. i have a bunch of friends who help do the labels and put stamps.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-01-2012, 08:34 PM
yes i am. i do want to try cactus mailing, but inorder to really target the areas i want im gunna do it myself this round. i have a bunch of friends who help do the labels and put stamps.

Yeah I agree doing your own addresses is more accurate, and I have been compiling a list myself as well, what is the postage for the postcards, I'm assuming you have 6x9 cards?

KrayzKajun
01-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah I agree doing your own addresses is more accurate, and I have been compiling a list myself as well, what is the postage for the postcards, I'm assuming you have 6x9 cards?

last time i checked postage was $0.29each

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-01-2012, 08:42 PM
last time i checked postage was $0.29each

So do you gotta fumble around a few denominations of stamps to equal 29? Maybe it would be easier to get a meter and print each stamp IDK...

KrayzKajun
01-01-2012, 09:07 PM
So do you gotta fumble around a few denominations of stamps to equal 29? Maybe it would be easier to get a meter and print each stamp IDK...

nope. i go to the post office and say i need postage for a postcard. they have 29cent stamps in rolls of 100.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Oh that's nice then
Posted via Mobile Device