PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Recycling

agrostis
12-31-2011, 05:04 PM
I was talking to a surveyor over X-Mas and he was telling me about a brand new, 1 story, aluminum set of fire escape stair's that were stolen not far from here.

This story is another extreme example.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/30/us-britain-metal-theft-idUSTRE7BT0HC20111230

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-31-2011, 07:09 PM
That is really sad. Thieves piss me off.

ARGOS
01-01-2012, 01:23 PM
A couple years ago thieves stole the handrail on an awesome outlook up in the high country. Took two years to get the outlook open again.

http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/37000/Donnells-Vista-Vandalized.html

http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/37000/Donnells-Vista-Vandalized.html

greenmonster304
01-02-2012, 06:55 AM
They took 50' of 1"L and 40' of 3/4"L from my yard back in November.
Posted via Mobile Device

mitchgo
01-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Doing oddball jobs this time of the year.

My job note was- This house has been vacant for 4 months. They can't get water to work at all in the house . The water district replaced the meter 2 months ago and the reading is still at .02 so start here

After a bunch of exploration I found out this house had a crawl space and access to the crawl space in a very small hatch outside the house. There was 2' of space thickness so I was on my stomach.

I find the Shut off! I turn it on and get blasted with water! *Quickly turns off*
I start looking around and come to find out a crackhead theif got in here and took probably about 75% of the copper piping in here.. He freaking demolished the entire thing... Rip Tear Shread I say! Everything just had been twisted around.

I felt bad for the homeowner- He's hoping to get a plumber in with in a day or 2.

sweetland
01-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Funny this thread shows up, yesterday I was driving to the dump which is in an ehh part of town and I passed a boarded up 3 floor house and on all the boards the owner painted "copper all gone." I found this to be creative but also a good idea and mainly I found it very sad that people have to do that.
Posted via Mobile Device

ARGOS
01-05-2012, 12:52 PM
When I went to the recycling center the other day with a load of iron I felt like I was buying a house with all the paper work involved.

Shocked at the $400 bucks I got for a trailer of iron.

bcg
01-05-2012, 12:58 PM
I finally got around to dropping my 2 year collection brass off yesterday. Had about 300 pounds and walked out with a little over $600. I was surprised at how much it was worth.

Wet_Boots
01-05-2012, 02:26 PM
was it mixed brass and copper?

bcg
01-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Mine was all brass; yellow, red and white separated out.

Wet_Boots
01-05-2012, 02:38 PM
White brass? I know of red and yellow, from the old sprinkler parts that were either cast or machined.

RussellB
01-05-2012, 02:40 PM
sounds like some of you all know about scrap metal stuff. I'v got a 28' 1989 Scotty mobil home I have been thinking about scrapping. Any idea what it's worth and can the entire trailer just be towed to the scrap yard for them to demolish?
Posted via Mobile Device

bcg
01-05-2012, 02:57 PM
White brass looks like stainless. The balls inside the brass ball valves are white brass, the body is red brass and the canopy on the Febco 765 is yellow brass.

Wet_Boots
01-05-2012, 03:53 PM
I thought the ball valve ball was chrome-plated brass, having seen some early failures showing worn/defective plating

bcg
01-05-2012, 04:11 PM
It probably is a chrome plated brass but it isn't red or yellow brass. It does have a light, light yellow (almost white) color to it when you get the silver off the outside. At any rate, they paid well for it so I've got no complaints.

DanaMac
01-05-2012, 04:36 PM
We actually didn't even take our scrap to the scrap yard this year. We just didn't have enough to make it worth it. I bought 5 or 6 RPs in the spring, and we only replaced 2. Not as much copper and ball valve replacements either. We must be doing too good of a job educating our customers on how to drain properly.

DanaMac
01-05-2012, 04:55 PM
I read this one earlier today
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_19679641

A thief, or thieves, made off with a 10,000 pound bulldozer in Denver over the holiday weekend, a piece of equipment they'll likely sell for scrap, but is priceless to the victim and owner.

crazymike
01-05-2012, 05:34 PM
They had problems around here with pot holes, etc... going missing. Now you need to fill out a lot of paperwork, have your license scanned, etc... it definitely seemed to cut down on theft of easily identifiable things.

greenmonster304
01-05-2012, 07:24 PM
They had problems around here with pot holes, etc... going missing.

You can send them to take all the pot holes on my local roads. Or did you mean man hole covers.
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
sounds like some of you all know about scrap metal stuff. I'v got a 28' 1989 Scotty mobil home I have been thinking about scrapping. Any idea what it's worth and can the entire trailer just be towed to the scrap yard for them to demolish?
Posted via Mobile Device

You must be a redneck if you are thinking about scrapping a Mobil home.
Posted via Mobile Device

mitchgo
01-05-2012, 11:02 PM
My parents bought just recently a property next door to them that has a mobile home.. This march were tearing it down- the scrap metal sheets of the house were just giving to my parents neighbor who is a insane mechanic and the rest is off to the dump

crazymike
01-06-2012, 11:03 AM
You can send them to take all the pot holes on my local roads. Or did you mean man hole covers.
Posted via Mobile Device

lol that was indeed a typo

ARGOS
01-06-2012, 12:46 PM
When I was scraping my iron there were homeless and crankers at the recycling center with shopping carts full of rusty old mowers and miscellaneous pieces of rusty iron. When I saw them I thought "What a buck at the most". Realized they might get $20 for a shopping cart full of rusty iron.

GreenI.A.
01-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Here in MA they photo copy your liceanse and take a photo of your liceranse plate when you scrap. The info is then sent to the state police who keep track of it so that someone can't just bring a few hundred dollars worth to each scap yard to avoid suspicion. I don't know of a scap yard left here who will accept metal from anyone not doing it commerically. Most require the seller to be in a lettered vehicle and commercial plate. The guy at one of the yards was telling me that the state is encouraging them to no longer pay cash and to mail a check to the seller after so many days, to discourage theives from selling to them.

1idejim
01-07-2012, 06:15 PM
My parents bought just recently a property next door to them that has a mobile home.. This march were tearing it down- the scrap metal sheets of the house were just giving to my parents neighbor who is a insane mechanic and the rest is off to the dump

a buddy of mine has an excavator with a shear attachment for demmo work, mobile homes are a specialty of his. he takes the windows out and all of the appliances before nipping it to pieces. he told me that if you don't remove the windows first, the glass will break into a million pieces and you can't get it all off the site.

tailboardtech
01-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Here in MA they photo copy your liceanse and take a photo of your liceranse plate when you scrap. The info is then sent to the state police who keep track of it so that someone can't just bring a few hundred dollars worth to each scap yard to avoid suspicion. I don't know of a scap yard left here who will accept metal from anyone not doing it commerically. Most require the seller to be in a lettered vehicle and commercial plate. The guy at one of the yards was telling me that the state is encouraging them to no longer pay cash and to mail a check to the seller after so many days, to discourage theives from selling to them.

yup the recycling yard i go to as of the first of the year you have to have an account with them and no more cash. they wont take any more private accounts but they are still honoring the people that had them prior so i got lucky since they always have the top scrap metal prices.

newz7151
01-07-2012, 09:26 PM
The guy at one of the yards was telling me that the state is encouraging them to no longer pay cash and to mail a check to the seller after so many days, to discourage theives from selling to them.

I believe this is a good idea and should be a national law. It really WOULD decrease the amount of theft if there were no way for them to turn a quick undercover buck from selling the stuff for scrap. And any scrap yard that cannot account for their intake and payout check by check should be fined, locked up and made an example of.

DanaMac
01-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Another fine bunch of folks in Denver. Stole copper lines from the RTD public transportation system.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_19763254

Wet_Boots
01-18-2012, 11:26 AM
buncha tweakers out there :mad: