PDA

View Full Version : Do taxes yourself?

stevenf
01-02-2012, 12:50 AM
I have been toying with the idea of doing my own taxes. I have never done it before. I normally pay a CPA 300.00 at the end of the year but I do all my receipt counting, monthly logs, tax calculation .... all he does is file them. Doesn't seem worth the money to me. Even the cheaper walk in tax places want 300.00. Anyone here do there own taxes for business? Do you use Turbo tax business?
Posted via Mobile Device

jackal
01-02-2012, 08:07 AM
I do my own with turbo tax. Good record keeeping helps.

Roger
01-02-2012, 09:48 AM
No way. The $300 (much more for me) is money well spent. There is no way that I can know the applicable tax code for doing the prep myself.

Remember, the CPA charge is a "professional fee" that is a tax deductible expense itself.

Dr.NewEarth
01-02-2012, 01:34 PM
$ 2500 to 3200 a year is what I have to pay in British Columbia for corporate tax. About 400 of that is for book keeping.

I asked around at the landscape association and other companies my size are also paying this amount in income tax every year.

I don't have the patience or frankly the ability to do every-thing required to run a company. So, I farm out my tax preparation. I have to. It is quite complicated here and the laws and requirements change. Even though it is expensive, I would rather be making money doing what I am good at. Then I know there won't be any mistakes.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-03-2012, 12:08 AM
I use Turbo Tax Home and Biz, and find it pretty clear cut to do my own taxes.
That said, I am a solo with a pretty straight forward situation. More complex operations may need prof. assistance.

Fvstringpicker
01-03-2012, 12:10 AM
I've been doing my own taxes for years. I'd never hire a CPA to do mine. :)

wbw
01-03-2012, 11:56 AM
I've been doing my own taxes for years. I'd never hire a CPA to do mine. :)

Just be glad everyone doesn't feel that way.:waving:

AlohaMowing
01-03-2012, 10:38 PM
I have used Turbo Tax to do my business taxes and always found it reasonably easy. I'm not sure if it would have been adequate if I'd had employees. I have have had payments to contractors that had to be reported on 1099s and Turbo Tax took care of preparing those.

hoyboy
01-10-2012, 10:08 AM
I am a CPA and highly recommend Turbo Tax. Frankly, I don't see how CPA's stay in business with Turbo Tax around. I think it's only because taxes have this reputation of being so scary. But really, Turbo Tax has made it so brain dead simple, there really is no reason to be shelling out money for a professional any more.

PlantscapeSolutions
01-14-2012, 01:13 AM
I have to deal with incorporated business, day care write off, mortgage interest, depreciated equipment assets, investments, and a bunch of other stuff. If you ever get audited it will go much easier if the IRS folks see CPA stamped on everything.

I've been audited for sales tax and the auditor liked what he saw and barely looked into any of the records. The others guys I know who were audited were no so lucky.

grass-scapes
01-14-2012, 11:21 AM
I pay much more to my cpa... Keeps me out of trouble from following advice from people on here....LOL

My take on things.....If you need tax advice, consult a CPA. If you need legal advice, consult a lawyer. If you need lawn advice, contact me.

JB1
01-14-2012, 11:25 AM
I pay much more to my cpa... Keeps me out of trouble from following advice from people on here....LOL

My take on things.....If you need tax advice, consult a CPA. If you need legal advice, consult a lawyer. If you need lawn advice, contact me.

I could not agree any more.

PlantscapeSolutions
01-14-2012, 12:37 PM

Love it. I'm not taking advice from anyone who thinks taking pictures of lawn stripes is is a worth while task. I pay my CPA a $250 a month for his services. He does the 941 taxes, sales tax, and a few other things.