PDA

View Full Version : DOT Compliance Question- mainly for KS guys

KS_Grasscutter
01-02-2012, 09:21 PM
I know there are getting to be a lot of us Central Kansas guys on here. Anyone use Corporate Safety Compliance, Inc in Maize for DOT compliance? A couple people in town had mentioned using them, but they are the same people you can never get a straight answer out of when it comes to details. I was able to get a DOT number, for free, by myself, directly from the FMSCA last fall, and set up what I think I need for my files. But I am now realizing that these files need updated quite often, and would almost rather just pay them up to a couple hundred dollars a year to just mail me whatever I need to add to my files.

Mainly I don't want to risk being put out of service due to not having all my ducks in a row during an audit or roadside inspection.

Are there any other companies, somewhat locally, that do the same thing? Right after registering I spent the better part of a month it seemed like on the phone with nationwide outfits wanting to do my paperwork for me, but I don't really trust anyone with all my info that isn't local.

stroker51
01-05-2012, 09:29 AM
I dont know anyone that does that, but that sounds like it would be a great business opportunity for someone in the know about all that BS. We have done ok on the roadside inspections, but the BS paperwork, I wont even get started on my thoughts on that, not so confident on that.

BPS##
01-05-2012, 09:48 AM
I know the owner of this company.
http://owneroperatorsoffice.com/

Very reasonable prices.

She also does things like brochures and websites.

BPS##
01-05-2012, 09:49 AM
KS is hassling you guys with a pickup and 12' trailer???????

WOW

stroker51
01-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Any 3/4 ton or bigger truck towing any kind of trailer. I got stopped last summer in one of the F250s not even pulling a trailer, just had the spray rig in the the bed.

BPS##
01-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Wow, they've gone hard core.
The state must be broke, and looking at the lawn guys as a revenue stream.

I pull a 16' landscape trailer with F250 every day past one of the WY ports.
No problems, I'm under 26k operating in state. They don't mess with me.

buttaluv
01-05-2012, 12:33 PM
well the magic number is 10,001 lbs...it is a joke...I live right on the state line (in Missouri) of Kansas/Missouri...after I checked into what all i was going to have to do and had already spent quite a few dollars...I just use my half ton truck and single axle trailer in Kansas and use my big trailer & 3/4 ton truck in missouri....something about crossing state lines, etc....this is what the inspector told me to do in order to get away from all the crap...there's other lawn guys here that got pulled over and had to park their trailers for various safety violations and 500.00 tickets!

BPS##
01-05-2012, 01:25 PM
The regs are for 10,001 or more used commercially.
Some states enforce it very strictly, others not as much.

A friend was telling me some mileage numbers for the new Ford F150 ECO Boost engine.
15 towing is what he had an owner tell him this week.
I'd be getting one of those and thumbing my nose at KS DOT.

stroker51
01-05-2012, 09:36 PM
If I didnt have 4 plow trucks and a bobcat to deal with in the snow I would go half tons and single axles in a heartbeat.

BPS##
01-05-2012, 10:28 PM
I hear ya.

I'd probably put 7.6' or 8' blades on the half tons.
Any thing to piddle in their wheaties.

tyler_mott85
01-08-2012, 07:58 PM
I know there are getting to be a lot of us Central Kansas guys on here. Anyone use Corporate Safety Compliance, Inc in Maize for DOT compliance? A couple people in town had mentioned using them, but they are the same people you can never get a straight answer out of when it comes to details. I was able to get a DOT number, for free, by myself, directly from the FMSCA last fall, and set up what I think I need for my files. But I am now realizing that these files need updated quite often, and would almost rather just pay them up to a couple hundred dollars a year to just mail me whatever I need to add to my files.

I don't know of that company but browsing their website it sure leaves a lot of questions to be answered. Would be nice to know a bit more information about their services. If you contact them I'd be interested in knowing more about how their pricing works, etc. I'm not big on the idea of outsourcing a lot of stuff but things that can get you shut down may be well worth the expense up front.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-09-2012, 11:02 AM
To me, if you are trying to follow DOT rules honestly yourself, DOT should be understanding of that if you are inspected and just point out what addl needs done instead of nailing you to the wall.

grassman177
01-09-2012, 05:34 PM
they are hassling and pulling over tons of lcos. most are in servere violations.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-09-2012, 05:38 PM
what are the specific violations that guys are getting nailed on?
Helps all of us to know this:)

Jason Rose
01-09-2012, 11:49 PM
The big things they are shutting people down for are the obvious things. Tire tread, brakes on the trailers (not working), break-away controller on the trailer (missing or not working), lights out, etc. Things they are giving warnings for, lacking extinguisher, triangles, etc., cracked glass

I've yet to hear of anyone getting stopped and asked for their daily logs or getting shut down because they lack papers. (not greencards, lol) Running under 26,000 with no need for a CDL.

Ask 10 people and get 10 different answers, that's the biggest problem. Anyone answering questions from out of Kansas and the answers don't always apply to US. DOT is supposed to be federal laws, enforced equally across all 50 states. Do they? F no. Every state enforces a different number of the rules, and in Kansas I swear they give every inspector a different set of rules to enforce. One can tell you that you are legal and the next may find half a dozen things you are in violation for.

My truck is inspected and "up to DOT regulations", my trailer has good tires and functioning brakes, break-away control, and lights. I carry a medical card now, as required. Anything beyond that they feel they need to enforce that day they will just have to write me a ticket for to educate me.