PDA

View Full Version : Not your typical enclosed trailer thread

09daxman
01-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Hello all,
Im looking for an enclosed trailer to haul my equipment in, some snowmobiles and my race car. Seeing how I want to tow a car with this trailer I know its going to have to be at least 20 ft. My car isnt all that big but I would like to be able to fit a mid size car in it if I ever needed too. But my biggest problem is that I live on top of a big hill and my driveway is very steep, and im not sure if a 20 ft enclosed will make it up my driveway without scraping the sh$t/bending stuff. Yes I could cut the angle alot but then I would be driving over the grass alot and I would be killing it/digging it up. So my question to all of you is there a company out there that has a higher sitting enclosed trailer then other enclosed trailers? Or am I going to have to modify it some how and try and maintain its strength. I say get a 20 ft to have less behind the trailer axles cause thats whats going to be scraping. I do have a 18 ft dovetail car hauler right now that doesnt scrape. Here is a pic of my driveway, sorry for the crappy cell pic and that its dark. I dont get to see day light until the weekends cause I work 730 to 5 and its dark on my way into work and on my way home. Kinda depressing haha

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/jeff99gtp/IMG_0103.jpg

davidcalhoun
01-03-2012, 01:03 AM
I would think a 20+' X 8 1/2' trailer would be fine. If you are concerned about rubbing on the incline, you might have to get one without the dovetail. Ask your trailer dealer if they would let you test one out on your drive.

DuallyVette
01-03-2012, 01:45 AM
I have a couple of 20 ft enclosed trailers. Mine have 2-7000lb axles on them. this raises it up a couple of inches. 3500lb & 5400lb axles bend to easy, especially hauling a car. My 1st enclosed trailer ( 2- 3500lb axles) bent several axles just hauling a couple of standers and a walkbehind. 7000lb axles have 8 lug wheels and 16 inch tires. There are very few decent 15 inch tires that can hold up to the abuse that a trailer tire takes.

The problem that I see is backing a large trailer up the hill. Reverse gear is a high gear ratio, and would be tough on an automatic transmission, or clutch. Driving forward up the hill wouldn't be a problem.

P.Services
01-03-2012, 03:14 AM
you will be fine on that hill. Just make sure you got the roller wheels on the back of the trailer to prevent any damage. If you go up too steep of a slope the trailer will just roll along on those wheels. Best 85 bucks i ever spent on my 20'er. Ive gone up hills so steep the trailer tires dont even touch the ground, just the real rollers and the hitch on the truck. wheels 8" off the ground

unkownfl
01-03-2012, 10:51 AM
you will be fine on that hill. Just make sure you got the roller wheels on the back of the trailer to prevent any damage. If you go up too steep of a slope the trailer will just roll along on those wheels. Best 85 bucks i ever spent on my 20'er. Ive gone up hills so steep the trailer tires dont even touch the ground, just the real rollers and the hitch on the truck. wheels 8" off the ground

+1 worth all the extra money even here in FL I wouldn't own an enclosed without them.

DuallyVette
01-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Just make sure you got the roller wheels on the back of the trailer to prevent any damage. If you go up too steep of a slope the trailer will just roll along on those wheels. Best 85 bucks i ever spent on my 20'er.

Where did you get these wheels? what's the weight rating, diameter, caster or fixed wheels ? I've seen some wheels on the back of some motorhomes with a very long overhang. My trailers have an extra piece of metal welded to the bottom of the frame at the back. They've drug the ground a few times.

09daxman
01-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Are the frame of the trailers strong enough to take the weight if a mid sized car with all of the weight at the ends of the trailer? Cause that will solve my problem. If you could give me some more info on where these wheels are sold and if they are fixed or swivel? Pretty much answer what dually asked Please. Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

P.Services
01-03-2012, 01:26 PM
they are heavy duty solid steel rollers. They dont swivel. Ive had a ton of weight in my trailer and picked the wheels off the ground, never has been a problem for me.

click the link, on the first page the second picture down you can see them on the back of the trailer. Most trailer dealers order them from the factory they are just welded in place.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=208964

lawnpropm
01-03-2012, 06:12 PM
they are heavy duty solid steel rollers. They dont swivel. Ive had a ton of weight in my trailer and picked the wheels off the ground, never has been a problem for me.

click the link, on the first page the second picture down you can see them on the back of the trailer. Most trailer dealers order them
from the factory they are just welded in place.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=208964
P Services sweet trailer did it come green from the factory or did you have it painted?
Posted via Mobile Device

P.Services
01-03-2012, 06:24 PM
no i had it painted like that and to tell you the truth its a tiny bit different then the shade i want. It has a little bit of rust starting to form so i may strip the decals and have the better paint shop re-do it. Ive got 3 or 4 years out of it and it needs a good reconditioning to bring it up to 100%

GravelyGuy
01-03-2012, 06:25 PM
I have a 24' that drags sometimes. I wanted to get rollers, but nobody around me had them so I just mounted a piece of 1/2" plate on the corners. From looking the picture, you may have trouble if you have to back out of the drive where the corners would dig in.

You should be able to get a trailer with regular axles if you want it to sit a little higher. Most come with drop axles.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnpropm
01-03-2012, 06:36 PM
no i had it painted like that and to tell you the truth its a tiny bit different then the shade i want. It has a little bit of rust starting to form so i may strip the decals and have the better paint shop re-do it. Ive got 3 or 4 years out of it and it needs a good reconditioning to bring it up to 100%

Trailer looks nice imo. How much did it set you back to get it painted?
Posted via Mobile Device

P.Services
01-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Trailer looks nice imo. How much did it set you back to get it painted?
Posted via Mobile Device

im 99% sure it was 1,200 bucks

P.Services
01-03-2012, 06:41 PM
I have a 24' that drags sometimes. I wanted to get rollers, but nobody around me had them so I just mounted a piece of 1/2" plate on the corners. From looking the picture, you may have trouble if you have to back out of the drive where the corners would dig in.

You should be able to get a trailer with regular axles if you want it to sit a little higher. Most come with drop axles.
Posted via Mobile Device

forest river trailers somewhere in indiana made my trailer and will sell you the parts.

mbigred
01-03-2012, 06:50 PM
you may have to pull up the hill and BE WITH OUT A CAR IN IT or it will bottom out I know this because i have a 24 ft trl with wheels on the end off a old floor jack.

GravelyGuy
01-03-2012, 08:25 PM
forest river trailers somewhere in indiana made my trailer and will sell you the parts.

I will check with them when my plates wear out. Thanks.

09daxman
01-03-2012, 08:51 PM
P.Services, Thank you very much for the info. But one other question, what size trailer do you have?

I think this friday im going to go to talk to my local featherlite dealer and see if we can come up with a price on my trade in and for a new trailer for me.

P.Services
01-03-2012, 08:53 PM
mine is 20' long 8.5 wide. with a extended tongue that is great, any dump truck with a overhang can pull it. 3/4" plywood walls that allow you to hang racks and shelving where ever you want. Make sure you get a screwless exterior also.

Lefet
01-03-2012, 09:01 PM
mine is 20' long 8.5 wide. with a extended tongue that is great, any dump truck with a overhang can pull it. 3/4" plywood walls that allow you to hang racks and shelving where ever you want. Make sure you get a screwless exterior also.

What is a screwless exterior?

unkownfl
01-03-2012, 09:54 PM
What is a screwless exterior?

The metal is glued on so you don't have rivets every 2-3ft. Makes for lettering a lot better.

Lefet
01-03-2012, 09:57 PM
The metal is glued on so you don't have rivets every 2-3ft. Makes for lettering a lot better.

Kind of what I figured, thanks.

hosejockey2002
01-03-2012, 10:36 PM
If the trailer does not have enough clearance and has straight axles, you can have the axles and springs swapped so that the springs sit on top of the axle. This is pretty common with travel trailers and fifth wheels that guys use to take off road. The downside is that the trailer deck then sits 6" or so higher, which makes it harder to load.