PDA

View Full Version : Hard Free Warning for tonight

yamadooski
01-03-2012, 05:56 AM
So how many of you cut the day of a hard freeze warning. This extends all the way down to Sarasota. Even the northern subs of Miami will see digits into the 20's.
I never cut the day of a freeze. BUt I know I will go out today and see the uniformed not know what they are doing lawn care guys mowing today.

jvanvliet
01-03-2012, 08:05 AM
I'm good on my cuts until next week, when it really cold :)

billslawn89
01-03-2012, 08:11 AM
this is my week to cut, but i will now wait until next week. the wind is brutal out there this morning.

jvanvliet
01-03-2012, 09:10 AM
My boys are out pressure cleaning today... glad it's not me.

MR-G
01-03-2012, 11:08 AM
no cutting for us today..we dont cut the night before a freeze either...causes too much damage to everything...

unkownfl
01-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Gonna cut Thursday and Friday. Going on vacation next week to NYC so I don't really have much of a choice.

KrayzKajun
01-03-2012, 11:32 AM
no cutting for us today..we dont cut the night before a freeze either...causes too much damage to everything...

I'm not in florida, but close enough. No cutting here today, not after a freeze. Out running errands making sure everything is ordered etc. For the landscape install we are starting thurs. I have seen a few guys out cutting ths morning already.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
01-03-2012, 11:36 AM
No cutting today. Wrapping a bunch of stuff. Now the battle to keep people from being too eager to cut back freeze damage begins.
Posted via Mobile Device

MR-G
01-03-2012, 11:38 AM
BED HEATING....we have a fair amount of higher end landscape accts. that pay us to cover plants in the event of a freeze or frost each year..problem is its not that profitable..lol....and its always a last minute rush to get it done...we have searched for ways to heat ornamentals but havent found much...was thinking of a way to circulate hot water through hoses just under mulch around plants kind of like the floor heating in some homes....any thoughts ??

jvanvliet
01-03-2012, 12:22 PM
BED HEATING....we have a fair amount of higher end landscape accts. that pay us to cover plants in the event of a freeze or frost each year..problem is its not that profitable..lol....and its always a last minute rush to get it done...we have searched for ways to heat ornamentals but havent found much...was thinking of a way to circulate hot water through hoses just under mulch around plants kind of like the floor heating in some homes....any thoughts ??

Try compost or manure & cover.

Keith
01-03-2012, 12:35 PM

I cover a few as well. I have been doing it for years and years. Not enough that I think it's worth the investment in something more permanent though.

I tried to get most covered yesterday evening. The stuff that was sheltered from the wind anyway. I'll have to go check and make sure they're still covered, and cover the more exposed stuff this evening. That's what sucks is doing it in the wind and cold. Oh well, it doesn't really become annoying until you get 7 freezing nights in three weeks, all seperated by 2 days where you have to go pull the cover only to put it right back on.

Plantculture
01-03-2012, 01:06 PM
i saw some pics of somewhere in asia where they built mini greenhouses out of plastic sheathing and wood slats. Then anchored the whole thing to the ground somehow. They put them over specimen cycads.

Worth it for rare plants I suppose.

I quit worrying about the cold after the last 2 years. Now my Licuala , Jackfruit, Pritchardia, and alocasia's have to fend for themselves. I just bring in the orchids.

Keith
01-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Whew! Definitely going to be a cold one. 8:15pm, ag stations in central and south Florida, 2m temps

Immokalee 34F
Homestead 38F
Palmdale 33F
North Port 34F

Brooksville and Okahumpka 31F

Unless some clouds move in, many outlying areas will be below 20F by sunrise.

yamadooski
01-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Wheww its nice to see quite a few here are smarter than the ones I saw today. I saw a guy cut a nice SA lawn today while I was putting up freeze cloth at a customers house. The customer of mine was helping out and said :thanks for not cutting my yard this week".
Made a couple $1,000. today covering plants all day. We dont include this in our price not even the high end customers. So they all must pay....$$$$$.

RigglePLC
01-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Possibly "heat tapes" which are designed to wrap around the pipes of mobile homes up here would suit your situation for heat under the covers. Designed for outdoor use. Automatically go on if temp falls below 35. Electric.

zturncutter
01-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Just checked my Taylor Ag thermometer at the barn, down to 30 degrees here @ 10:30.

zturncutter
01-03-2012, 11:48 PM
http://www.missioninnmuseum.com/collect_citrus/cit00008.htm
Used to use these in the groves when I was a teenager, they were a lot of fun to fill while they were running.

Florida Gardener
01-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Looks like my cutting week next week will turn into no cutting clean-up week.....No problemo! :dancing::weightlifter::clapping::walking::cool2: