PDA

View Full Version : How bad was it?

GreenT
01-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Hard freeze here last night, in the low to mid 20's. We'll be back in the 20's again tonight.

Keith
01-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Bottomed out right around 30F. There will be areas with 5 miles that were probably mid-20's though. I expect some torn up tender plants.

I wouldn't expect it to go below 35F tonight since this is the third night the cold front. Frost will likely be heavy though.

fl-landscapes
01-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Global cooling struck here as well. Driving around and already seeing wilted leaves on some of the plants, frost on the ground when I got up.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenT
01-04-2012, 10:13 AM

I haven't gone out yet but just looking around my property it reminds me of this famous Gary Larson cartoon.... :)

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv101/Konradius5/Gary%20Larson%20Comics/BonelessChickenRanch.jpg

Landscape Poet
01-04-2012, 11:48 AM
I am out of state currently. Can you guys give me a idea of how bad it was? Is it like the last couple of years where the top of the SA has browned out? Severe damage on the more tender shrubs?

Thanks in advance,

Michael
P.S - I am up north and have been here for a since the weekend. I was getting rather depressed looking at the lack of any color other than brown in the landscapes....was kind of looking forward to seeing our green landscapes again.....so let me know if you would not mind because I am hoping I will not be looking at more brown.

zturncutter
01-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Below freezing by 10:00 pm last night, 25 degrees @ 6:30 am . Don't think as much damage as last year but significant and it's only the beginning of Jan.

Landscape Poet
01-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Below freezing by 10:00 pm last night, 25 degrees @ 6:30 am . Don't think as much damage as last year but significant and it's only the beginning of Jan.

Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to see what plants did this year. Last year plants did not make it through that made it through last year, poor little guys having all these years of freeze in a row has to be very very hard and confusing to some of them.

Thanks again for the prompt update Z ! I am heading out to a nice 30 degree day while the sun is shining full blast up here...the nights are brutal...not sure how the heck I lived up here all those years without losing my mind.....you simply do not do anything outside for very long up here this time of year.

GreenT
01-04-2012, 12:18 PM

Mike, complete damage will take time to asses. I can tell you that around here tender stuff and, obviously, tropicals took a bite last night and our local forecast calls for more freezing tonight.

Looks like we are clear after that for a while tho.

jvanvliet
01-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Low of 47 down south here, pulling out long johns & jacket then heading to the beach to watch the snowbirds pretend they're not freezing their butts off. :D

Keith
01-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Mike, you may have lucked out. It looks like the Orlando area did not get as cold as western and the interior south. And obviously not as cold as north central. But you never know. Cold pockets can be found anywhere, just depends on, well, the weather :) Apopka ag station did record a 27F and was below freezing for 8hours. But I think much of the Orlando area was 31-36F.

Remember last year when it froze in early January how quick the SA started coming out? Time will tell.

Landscape Poet
01-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Mike, you may have lucked out. It looks like the Orlando area did not get as cold as western and the interior south. And obviously not as cold as north central. But you never know. Cold pockets can be found anywhere, just depends on, well, the weather :) Apopka ag station did record a 27F and was below freezing for 8hours. But I think much of the Orlando area was 31-36F.

Remember last year when it froze in early January how quick the SA started coming out? Time will tell.

Looks like I might have gotten somewhat lucky - looks like mid 30's tonight so it sounds positive. I will be back Saturday to see how things worked out.

gregory
01-04-2012, 07:36 PM
some much for the green grass..........

woke up to 27 this morning..........i covered alot of things and changed alot of my landscape out this year to stop the problem with freeze and plants...

Johnagain
01-04-2012, 08:37 PM
When I left the house at 7am it was 24deg. It didn't drop as much as I thought it would. At 7pm last night it was already 30deg. My Bahia is nice and brown tonight when I came home. Started a new 87 acre HOA account today. It was cold out there. Great account there is no hand work in the summer just mowing about 25 acres and blowing off the streets. Winter time is just cleanup common and wooded areas. Good account and it's EOW all year.

billslawn89
01-04-2012, 08:43 PM
my green bermuda grass in now headed to brown, my lantana, which was covered got toasted, my royal palm fronds turning brown, they came back and were looking good too from last years frost and cold temps. Its kinda brown in my area, went down to 25 degrees here too, and another freeze warning tonight, already 39 degrees with a dew point of 33 degrees at 8:45pm

zturncutter
01-04-2012, 09:12 PM
38 here @ 9:00 pm, dead calm tonight, what a change a few days makes.

Johnagain
01-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Just walked out this morning (Thur.) It's 30 deg and very heavy frost everywhere. If yards weren't toast yesterday they will be now. I'm sure a burn ban will be coming soon. Good news this weekend will be back in the 70's.

MR-G
01-05-2012, 08:14 AM
this is mild compared to last year...we added "lawn painting" to our services last year and did surprisingly well with it....even so, we hope it stays green on its own this year.

nwimaintenance
01-05-2012, 09:43 AM
A question for all you floridians. What do you think about opening up a lawn care business in SW Florida. I am tossing around the idea if I could sell my business up north.

Tri-City Outdoors
01-05-2012, 10:47 AM
this is mild compared to last year...we added "lawn painting" to our services last year and did surprisingly well with it....even so, we hope it stays green on its own this year.

Do you need anything special license to apply lawn paint. Last year the villages were getting a lot of that done. Somebody was making a killing. The snow birds want green grass. Next year we are are adding mulch coloring as an option. Did one job last year. It looked good, clients were happy, and we made money!

Tri-City Outdoors
01-05-2012, 10:54 AM
A question for all you floridians. What do you think about opening up a lawn care business in SW Florida. I am tossing around the idea if I could sell my business up north.

So many mower in the truck type guys in residential. Lots of competition in commercial with the bids getting lower and lower. Personally I don't like the cold. But, contacted mowing, fall leaf clean ups , and snow removal. I would assume you could do pretty good up north.

Ric
01-05-2012, 01:07 PM

nwi

The present Economy in Florida is very poor. Established Companies are holding their own and in fact my business is actually growing. However New start ups are dead before they start. Unless you can buy into a going company or buy Income producing accounts I wouldn't suggest relocating to S W Florida.

However If you want to pay your dues and make it big down the road. Come to Florida and be a wage slave for a Pesticide Company for 3 or more years to get a Pesticide Certification. Better yet would be a big company where you could get both Pesticide and Irrigation Qualifications for Licensing at the same time. Those licenses make you a SKILLED TECHNICAN.

Tri-City Outdoors
01-05-2012, 01:24 PM
nwi

The present Economy in Florida is very poor. Established Companies are holding their own and in fact my business is actually growing. However New start ups are dead before they start. Unless you can buy into a going company or buy Income producing accounts I wouldn't suggest relocating to S W Florida.

However If you want to pay your dues and make it big down the road. Come to Florida and be a wage slave for a Pesticide Company for 3 or more years to get a Pesticide Certification. Better yet would be a big company where you could get both Pesticide and Irrigation Qualifications for Licensing at the same time. Those licenses make you a SKILLED TECHNICAN.

Very good advice! With out a license your just a turd! A big fat stinky lawn turd!

bugsNbows
01-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Per an old Army Drill Sgt friend... TURD = Trainee Undergoing Rigorous Duties

nwimaintenance
01-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Even with all the negatives I would still be down there if my business were to sell.

jvanvliet
01-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Definition by Adler

"We should not be astonished if in the cases where we see an inferiority [feeling] complex we find a superiority complex more or less hidden. On the other hand, if we inquire into a superiority complex and study its continuity, we can always find a more or less hidden inferiority [feeling] complex."

"If a person is a show-off it is only because he feels inferior, because he does not feel strong enough to compete with others on the useful side of life. That is why he stays on the useless side. He is not in harmony with society. It seems to be a trait of human nature that when individuals - both children and adults - feel weak, they want to solve the problems of life in such a way as to obtain personal superiority without any admixture of social interest. A superiority complex is a second phase. It is a compensation for the inferiority [feeling] complex."

"The superiority complex is one of the ways which a person with an inferiority [feeling] complex may use as a method of escape from his difficulties. He assumes that he is superior when he is not, and this false success compensates him for the state of inferiority which he cannot bear. The normal person does not have a superiority complex, he does not even have a sense of superiority. He has the striving to be superior in the sense that we all have ambition to be successful; but so long as this striving is expressed in work it does not lead to false valuations, which are at the root of mental disease."

yamadooski
01-06-2012, 07:43 AM
I find it quite amuzing that some on here ask how bad it is a few return a reply of how bad it is around their area. Yet non of you give a location of where you live?
Your upper right hand siganature might say south florida or central but that is still vague.
Last time I checked florida has 4-5 differenent climate zones and water pretty much on both sides of us which greatly affects the outcome of a freeze status.
Because we got to 27* around the outer subs of Tampa yet no damage and 2 blocks down freeze damage all over the place.
On the other hand I did cover everything and all of my so called Miami tropicals look great. I even have a Red Sealing Wax Palm that dies at 50* is doing great.

jvanvliet
01-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Just north of the Broward County line, right off the beach but West of the intercoastal.

MR-G
01-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Lawn painting requires no special licensing...it does however take some practice to get it right and to make money with it....it isnt for everyone as it is expensive...as for starting a new lco in florida all i can say is good luck ...it will be extremely hard at the moment but not impossible....educate yourself first before you dive in and it will be easier...florida is COMPLETLY different from the rest of the USA....especially when it comes to this type of business...forget EVERYTHING you know from the north and start learning all over.....

GreenT
01-06-2012, 09:15 AM
I find it quite amuzing that some on here ask how bad it is a few return a reply of how bad it is around their area. Yet non of you give a location of where you live?
Your upper right hand siganature might say south florida or central but that is still vague.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm smack in the middle of Florida's Bible Belt. :)

J/K..... Marion Co, the incredibly beautiful southern part between the Ocala National forest, the Florida Greenway, and The Villages.

OT: Thanks mods for removing unnecessary attacks and general nastiness.

zturncutter
01-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Last time I checked florida has 4-5 differenent climate zones and water pretty much on both sides of us which greatly affects the outcome of a freeze status.
Because we got to 27* around the outer subs of Tampa yet no damage and 2 blocks down freeze damage all over the place.
On the other hand I did cover everything and all of my so called Miami tropicals look great. I even have a Red Sealing Wax Palm that dies at 50* is doing great.

Good point, of course when you Google Tampa you get over 50 Zip Codes and it would appear that parts of Tampa are in 9A while others are in 10B. Just sayin.

jvanvliet
01-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Lawn painting requires no special licensing...it does however take some practice to get it right and to make money with it

I've never heard of lawn painting...YkXQtQ-VU-0

billslawn89
01-06-2012, 06:41 PM
I was out today checking some of my higher end clients properties and was amazed that the st augustine grass wasn't affected by this last freeze, still green. I had to cut them, but all the bahia grass is toast, totally brown and looks dead.

Keith
01-06-2012, 07:08 PM
For the most part it's the frost that gets the SA. Even then it takes a pretty heavy frost to send into dormancy for more than a few days. That's especially true with Floratam. Hard freezes and many hours below freezing can damage them, but it's generally the frost that damages the SA and the freeze that gets the plants.

Florida Gardener
01-06-2012, 07:41 PM
I was out today checking some of my higher end clients properties and was amazed that the st augustine grass wasn't affected by this last freeze, still green. I had to cut them, but all the bahia grass is toast, totally brown and looks dead.

Brown Bahia means no cutty for two monthy....hopefully they are monthly and not per cut...
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenT
01-06-2012, 08:30 PM

I will not touch Bahia without a year contract. Unless managed properly, it can be a nightmare.

Florida Gardener
01-06-2012, 08:32 PM

I will not touch Bahia without a year contract. Unless managed properly, it can be a nightmare.

I don't do Bahia anymore, but if I did, it would only be monthly. The per cut is lose lose for the lco.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenT
01-06-2012, 08:48 PM

We still do three horse farms that I've had for years. these are high end training facilities, two thoroughbreds and one show/jumping horses.

Some of my best accounts and great friends also.

Florida Gardener
01-06-2012, 08:55 PM

We still do three horse farms that I've had for years. these are high end training facilities, two thoroughbreds and one show/jumping horses.

I would prob do those too. I'm talking about 1/4-1 acre lots. Big horse farms are a different story.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
01-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Had a heavy frost Thursday morning, the Captiva looks untouched :D Looked like crap August through October, but it's the greenest thing around right now.

Florida Gardener
01-06-2012, 09:03 PM

Those people actually have money. Most of the homes around here with Bahia can't really afford a service.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenT
01-06-2012, 09:15 PM
the Captiva looks untouched :D

Show off. :dancing:

jvanvliet
01-07-2012, 12:27 PM

There's a reason the first syllable is BAH (-ia). Cause it $UCKS to cut and most people here don't manage it properly - :blob2:

Landscape Poet
01-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Most of the turf I have seen here is brown with specks of green here and there. There will not be a need to be on most of the properties I have seen of these so far for I am guessing a couple of weeks.
Will try to snap some pics.

Florida Gardener
01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
All my St Aug lawns look great still. The coldest night we had went down to 35 or so but it was only for 1 hour. Bahia/weedy lawns have stunted and browned a bit. Some sensitive ornamentals just dropped some leaves and herbaceous perennials have slight damage. All I know is I'm skipping cutting this week!
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
01-09-2012, 09:18 PM
All my St Aug lawns look great still. The coldest night we had went down to 35 or so but it was only for 1 hour. Bahia/weedy lawns have stunted and browned a bit. Some sensitive ornamentals just dropped some leaves and herbaceous perennials have slight damage. All I know is I'm skipping cutting this week!
Posted via Mobile Device

I forgot to snap pictures while out today. Some actually needed cut, some that we skipped over two weeks ago.
Lots of damage here in certain areas - corner lots seemed to get the worst it. I am assuming since they are much more in the open.

Not much today was torched in front of shrubs - but most of today's houses have shrubs that are more hardy.

On my personal property....tibochina got torched even though they were covered, Pintas too.... a few but not all hibiscus.

Florida Gardener
01-09-2012, 09:41 PM
I actually like how it got close to freezing but didn't. It slowed things down without making everything looklike crap. It just sucks when it warms back up to near 80's. Should be interesting how the rest of Jan and feb plays out.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
01-10-2012, 12:46 PM
It's warming up, rain tomorrow night. Growth slowed some, little browning out; just in patches due to cold damage to undesirable ground cover.

Cutting tomorrow & Thursday.

My impatients are FABULOUS: Huge, colorful and garish the way all the "Alte kakers" like them, Oi Ve!

GreenT
01-13-2012, 08:38 AM

Double cold front on its way this weekend. 30s expected.

Round two begins.... :weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

Florida Gardener
01-13-2012, 11:22 PM
skipped cutting this week on all lawns...a couple were iffy but i skipped anyways...still showed up and edged, trimmed, cleaned-up,etc.

As far as ornamental damage....some plants are now showing a little damage. Mainly hibiscus, but some other stuff has minor leaf damage or leaf drop.....

As long as we don't get a frost or freeze from now until march, everything will be fine.

fl-landscapes
01-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Another heavy frost on the ground this morning. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

billslawn89
01-15-2012, 08:32 AM
ya! same here, had to cut my disney trip short by a day to come and cover my plants. I was outside at 10pm last night covering, in between the tom brady mania...lol

jvanvliet
01-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Down to the 40's here in S. Palm Beach County; some browning out, not much though; impatients continue to prosper :)

jackal
01-15-2012, 09:02 AM
42 in Wellington this am.

Landscape Poet
01-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Roof Tops were covered this morning when I got up.....not looking to good for a lot of properties on the turf...at least my lawn will be green in a couple more days thanks to they RYE......this brown is getting depressing already.

GreenT
01-15-2012, 04:51 PM

Brown is gold.... payup

Keith
01-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Frost keeps the grass shut down. It's fine with me. I didn't bother to cover anything this go around. I think we had 35F this morning.

Captiva still looking pretty good.

Florida Gardener
01-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Frost keeps the grass shut down. It's fine with me. I didn't bother to cover anything this go around. I think we had 35F this morning.

Captiva still looking pretty good.

Yes really, just means less cutting. With the long growing season we have, enjoy the brown and dormant grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenT
01-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Frost keeps the grass shut down. ...

Cookie for ya. Thumbs Up

jvanvliet
01-15-2012, 05:26 PM
:( impatients a little droopy; looks like I'll have to cut them back a little.