PDA

View Full Version : Red Bushes.

pilotcoplawnboy
11-22-2002, 07:49 AM
Need some opinions all what are the best looking reddesh type bushes that can be planted now. I am in North Carolina. It's still in the mid 60's here daily. Thanks.

GarPA
11-22-2002, 07:58 AM
you can plant for quite awhile where you live...air temp does not matter...soil temp is whats important and yours will be fine at lest into December. Smaller, more rounded I would use barberry...very hardy, but prickly, they change colors like leaves do in fall....a nice plant that tolerates about anything.

Burning bush is a nice deciduos larger hedge type plant. But they are green most of the year and turn bright red in fall....problem with them is that once they turn red, the leaves drop within 1 to 2 weeks....but also a very hardy plant

pilotcoplawnboy
11-22-2002, 08:01 AM
Thanks, Kitzy.

longslawn
11-22-2002, 08:10 AM
Nandina turns a beautiful red color in the fall thru winter. I like to use 'Gulf Sream' or Firepower. There is an azalea called 'Johanna" that the leaves turn crimson in the fall. All of these are evergreen. Another is pieris, the new growth is red.

KenH
11-22-2002, 03:06 PM
Instead of looking for red foliage, how about red twig dogwoods?? Depending on their location, the red stems look awesome in the winter against the snow. They aslo have variegated varieties with some cool looking leaves.

pilotcoplawnboy
11-22-2002, 06:12 PM
Thanks to all. I bought several Nandina's (firepower) and several Burning Bushes. I went to Lowes and bought everything 1/2 off.