PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Ford F250 7.3

ashs inc
01-04-2012, 08:22 PM
This is my first 7.3 truck. It has two batteries. It wont crank. the guy at auto zone tried to sell me a $122 battery. do i need this expensive of a battery? 1000 cranking amps

Mowingman
01-04-2012, 08:33 PM
In my experience with 16 of the 7.3 Powerstrokes, it does not pay to buy cheap batteries. In fact, replace both batteries at the same time. If you do just one, you will be doing the other one in a couple of months. So, go ahead, buy two good quality, heavy duty batteries now, and be done with it for 3 or 4 years.

zak406
01-04-2012, 09:06 PM
This is my first 7.3 truck. It has two batteries. It wont crank. the guy at auto zone tried to sell me a $122 battery. do i need this expensive of a battery? 1000 cranking amps

The joys of owning a diesel :walking:

greensolutions1
01-04-2012, 09:09 PM
yes definately get a good one and you need to replace both at the same time. Ive got a couple 7.3s and a couple 6.0s about $300 to replace batteries at one time

unkownfl
01-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Go to walmart and get the everstart batteries. They have a pretty good warranty and they've always treated me good. Those junk batteries at advance and auto zone never last for me.

ashs inc
01-04-2012, 09:46 PM
244 for batteries just seems like a lot

unkownfl
01-04-2012, 10:00 PM
244 for batteries just seems like a lot

Did they test the batteries? I've bought one battery for my 89 7.3idi diesel and the other one lasted a year without issues. I've sold the truck since then and it was working fine when I sold it. All my cables were upgraded I think to 0 gauge all the way to the starter.

zedosix
01-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Well you have one of the best ford diesel motors (actually the best) one made and in order to crank it over especially during cold winter months you will need the 1000ca battery.

clydebusa
01-05-2012, 08:58 AM
In my experience with 16 of the 7.3 Powerstrokes, it does not pay to buy cheap batteries. In fact, replace both batteries at the same time. If you do just one, you will be doing the other one in a couple of months. So, go ahead, buy two good quality, heavy duty batteries now, and be done with it for 3 or 4 years.

I second this. I have 1 7.3 for the last 6 years. Buy good batteries, clean cable or replace, have good glow plugs and all should be good!

clydebusa
01-05-2012, 09:00 AM
The joys of owning a diesel :walking:

This is soo true, by the way pick up a couple fuel filter at 20 to 30 bucks each and 20 quarts of oil, just to get it rounded up to 400 bucks.

JNB Construction
01-05-2012, 10:15 AM
After going through I don't how many Interstate batteries I switched to Super Start 65EXTN batteries from Oreilly's. Folks on a couple of diesel forums had good experiences and mine has been the same. I have a '99 with 271,000 miles on it and it tows 12# almost everyday of the week. The 7.3 is a great engine...the auto trans...not so much.

BPS##
01-05-2012, 10:44 AM
This is soo true, by the way pick up a couple fuel filter at 20 to 30 bucks each and 20 quarts of oil, just to get it rounded up to 400 bucks.

There are so many outlets for far cheaper filters and oil than what you mentioned. Approved motorcraft brand too.

$20 to $30 for a fuel filter means some body just got bent over.
And the engine only holds 15 quarts. Put in 20 and there will be issues.

BPS##
01-05-2012, 10:46 AM
After going through I don't how many Interstate batteries I switched to Super Start 65EXTN batteries from Oreilly's. Folks on a couple of diesel forums had good experiences and mine has been the same. I have a '99 with 271,000 miles on it and it tows 12# almost everyday of the week. The 7.3 is a great engine...the auto trans...not so much.

Get that trans built at a shop thats experienced with building a diesel trans.
Keep the oil cool and it'll last a long time.

I had one that blew right after I bought it (used).
$2800 rebuild from a local shop with 30 yrs experience.
He built it heavy duty. Never a problem after that....... until a DA in a GMC pulled out in front of me. Then both our trucks when to the scrap yard.

CLARK LAWN
01-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Did they test the batteries? I've bought one battery for my 89 7.3idi diesel and the other one lasted a year without issues. I've sold the truck since then and it was working fine when I sold it. All my cables were upgraded I think to 0 gauge all the way to the starter.

problem with doing that is because the batteries are run in parrellel that you take the new battery down to the condition of the old battery. ALWAYS replace them in sets whether you have 2,3, or 4.

make sure your cables are clean and you have a good ground.

JNB Construction
01-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Get that trans built at a shop thats experienced with building a diesel trans.
Keep the oil cool and it'll last a long time.

I had one that blew right after I bought it (used).
$2800 rebuild from a local shop with 30 yrs experience.
He built it heavy duty. Never a problem after that....... until a DA in a GMC pulled out in front of me. Then both our trucks when to the scrap yard.

Yep, I wouldn't trust just any trans shop.

My first and second rebuilds were covered under an extended warranty I bought, but I paid the deductible. They chose the shop both times. Both lasted about two years. Junk rebuilds by a nationwide chain. The warranty's long gone so this time I found a guy with a lot of experience that works on gas and oil field trannies, mostly Ford. He used a billet converter and lots of heavy duty parts. Well worth the money!

greensolutions1
01-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Just be glad you arent buying filters for the 6.0

zak406
01-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Just be glad you arent buying filters for the 6.0

Just be glad you dont own a 6.0 :hammerhead: haha

LindblomRJ
01-05-2012, 10:36 PM
The 95 is a great year and the 7.3 an excellent motor. It is not cheap when repairs are needed. Yes, both batteries are needed to start it. And it takes a lot of power to run the glow plugs and spin the starter.

But it will run for a long time.

qualitylawnpro
01-05-2012, 11:35 PM
i had a 7.3 it would turn over like crazy but wouldnt start, found out the batteries were weak didnt seem like it, replaced both truck started right up!

PlantscapeSolutions
01-06-2012, 02:38 PM
There are so many outlets for far cheaper filters and oil than what you mentioned. Approved motorcraft brand too.

$20 to $30 for a fuel filter means some body just got bent over.
And the engine only holds 15 quarts. Put in 20 and there will be issues.

BPS# I think the guy was trying to be a smartazz. There are a lot of people on Lawnsite that have spark plugs for brains. All of my trucks have been burning oil since 2002. I also had a 7.3 in a prior 97 F250 I owned but now I run only Cummins 5.9's, and 6.7's.

clydebusa
01-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Just be glad you dont own a 6.0 :hammerhead: haha

So TRUE :dizzy:

clydebusa
01-09-2012, 03:59 PM
BPS# I think the guy was trying to be a smartazz. There are a lot of people on Lawnsite that have spark plugs for brains. All of my trucks have been burning oil since 2002. I also had a 7.3 in a prior 97 F250 I owned but now I run only Cummins 5.9's, and 6.7's.

I know how much oil my trucks hold and yes my 7.3 burns some oil. I was just doing a general statement. When I go buy stuff I buy extra, so I just rounded the numbers up. .. Put the magnifing glass down and chill.:drinkup:

PlantscapeSolutions
01-09-2012, 04:05 PM
I know how much oil my trucks hold and yes my 7.3 burns some oil. I was just doing a general statement. When I go buy stuff I buy extra, so I just rounded the numbers up. .. Put the magnifing glass down and chill.:drinkup:

I missed your first posting where you said you had a 7.3. I only saw the second comment. I though you were one of those spark plug loving guys who like to spout off like their a Diesel expert. My bag!

jsslawncare
01-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Why do you think it's the batteries? Did you test them? Because you never said so. The problem with Advance and Autozone is they're trained to offer simple solution's and they do have a battery quota. They will hire anyone with or with experince.
1.Is the motor turning over?
2.Glow plugs working?
3.Glow plug relay working?
4.Fuel filter been changed later?
5.Neutral switch good?
6.Are you getting fuel to the injector pump?
My point is there are so many other thing's other then batteries. I've never owned a diesel but, have work on enough of them.

clydebusa
01-10-2012, 09:50 AM
I missed your first posting where you said you had a 7.3. I only saw the second comment. I though you were one of those spark plug loving guys who like to spout off like their a Diesel expert. My bag!

No prob.. have a great day!

greensolutions1
01-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zak406
Just be glad you dont own a 6.0 haha

So TRUE

Correction

Just be glad you dont own a 6.4

Ha Ive owned them all except the new 6.7, Ive still got 7.3's and 6.0's