PDA

View Full Version : MP Rotator Cleaning/Maintenance

kew
01-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Hi.

I have had MP Rotators installed in the yard for about three years now. There are 138 of them each paired with the MPR-40 sprinkler body with the 4" pop up. Water comes from a bore. There are 25 stations on 2 controllers and there are disc filters before each rank of valves.

I've never had a blockage on a rotator and I clean the disc filters (8) every three months or so. There have been times where the algae buildup has been so heavy that I have had to clean the filters more often and a couple of times throw a chemical down the bore hole to deal with the algae problem but generally it is okay. The algae tends to build up when the pump has been relatively inactive. I've never noticed any debri in the filter attached to the rotator itself.

Over the past 6 months or so, I've noticed a few rotators stop rotating. The problem might be first noticed by the grass dying off around the area of the problem rotator or one just notices the spray is fixed.

Has anyone had this problem before?. Is there a way to repair the problem rotator or is it a matter of replacing it?. Any other tips? Thanks :)

Nathan

Kiril
01-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Check for debris and deposits under the top of the nozzle (the interior circle that pops up). I had one yesterday that stopped rotating, but was nothing more than a small piece of wood that had worked its way under that part of the nozzle. Sometimes you can "flush" out that section by pushing down on that part of the nozzle while the system is running. Also move the adjustment right through the full range. Other than that, sometimes they just stop rotating and you need to replace them.

txirrigation
01-05-2012, 12:32 PM
I have taken the MP out of my installations on pump systems because of this. They are not good for dirty water applications. They even foul up on city hook ups some times. If I were you I would slowly start changing out (Zone by Zone) the MP's for PGPs or RB 5004's.

You might also start using a more fine filter, this could help. I helped a guy out that has a system like yours before, and we changed the zone furthest from the pump from MPs to PGPs and ran that zone first. This helped "flush" the system main line out before the MP zones started. It was not a cure all, but it helped.

Just a thought.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Don't leave out the mighty maxi-paw!

Sprinkus
01-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Yup, Pa and his 'Paw. :laugh:

LawnMastersTx
01-06-2012, 09:36 AM
We just finished putting in over 18,000 of these at the UT campus. I have learned that if there is any mineral in the water, that the MP filters will clog fast without sufficient filters .
Another problem that you may have if a lot of them are clogging right now is a small break on one of your lines. If all your zones are having the problem, may want to make sure that you do not have a minor break on your mainline. We came across this problem when a whole zone became clogged within in a few weeks. A small break happened on the lateral line and the area surrounding the break was sand. Well now all the zones in that area are full of sand. Took a while to find the minor break in a bed of ivy but fixed the problem.

DanaMac
01-06-2012, 09:48 AM
MPs are a fickle thing. They also tend to spin very fast when winterizing, once the water is pushed out. I don't know if that is going to be a future problem or not, with early failure.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-06-2012, 06:14 PM
lawnMasters has some awesome pics I need to post. He may be the best expert on Calsense on this site.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
01-06-2012, 08:22 PM
It would have been nice if Walla Walla had us test the prototype more. I would have suggested the filter be removable, as it's big brother, the Stream Rotor could. All in all, though, they're a damn cool head.

Wet_Boots
01-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Anyone try the Toro version of the rotator yet?

DanaMac
01-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Anyone try the Toro version of the rotator yet?

Not me, but I love their fixed Precision nozzles.

GreenAcresIrrigation
01-09-2012, 07:37 AM
I have used a hand full of the new toro's. I like them, they combine the best of both the MP and the RainBird rotary. I only had them in for about a month and half before they got winterized so I will know more in the spring. But so far I'm impressed.

Mike Leary
01-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I have used a hand full of the new toro's. I like them, they combine the best of both the MP and the RainBird rotary. I only had them in for about a month and half before they got winterized so I will know more in the spring. But so far I'm impressed.

Can the filter baskets be removed for cleaning?

GreenAcresIrrigation
01-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Yes the filters can be removed. Sorta a pain to remove but not terribly hateful to do. I am trying out some K-Rain rotary nozzels the screens come off of them very easily. I will see how they hold up over the course of a season though.

kew
01-12-2012, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not at a stage where I would consider changing out the rotators. Today I decided to clean the disc filters in a chlorine solution as I read that algae will grow between the discs and cause blockages. All but one of the filters use black discs. The one using yellow discs remained greenish after my regular method of cleaning (I couldn't see this on the black discs) which gave me the idea it may be affected by algae. The system ran like new after the chlorine wash and the chlorine clears the algae within seconds.

I did some googling and it would seem systems can benefit from chlorine injection to kill off the algae and maintain a clean system. I have a fertigator which I could use for a chlorine injection at 10ppm to keep the system clean from algae. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks...

Kiril
01-12-2012, 09:29 AM
I did some googling and it would seem systems can benefit from chlorine injection to kill off the algae and maintain a clean system. I have a fertigator which I could use for a chlorine injection at 10ppm to keep the system clean from algae. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks...

Before you inject anything, consider/determine what impact it will have on your soils and plants.

kew
01-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Before you inject anything, consider/determine what impact it will have on your soils and plants.

True. I've read that 10ppm is the initial whack required to remove the algae but 1ppm will keep it clean. I've also read that 4ppm chlorine in drinking water is considered a safe level.