PDA

View Full Version : Putting "Services starting at $$$" on Postcards

KrayzKajun
01-05-2012, 07:11 PM
getting ready to send out my first round of postcards at the end of Jan.

im doing two seperate card designs this year. one targeting mowing accounts and one for more landscape & tree work.

I know exactly which communties are getting the cards, so i know what my mininum pricing is.

so lets say average 40cuts a year x $55.00 / 12 months is $183 round up to $185 month.

would it help get rid of the price shoppers by putting
"Mowing starting at $185.00/Month"

Any ideas or Opinions??

Swampy
01-05-2012, 07:19 PM

im doing two seperate card designs this year. one targeting mowing accounts and one for more landscape & tree work.

I know exactly which communties are getting the cards, so i know what my mininum pricing is.

so lets say average 40cuts a year x $55.00 / 12 months is $183 round up to $185 month.

Any ideas or Opinions??

I'd go with a per cut price, seems like a smaller number, But I would put under it, prices subject to change.

KrayzKajun
01-05-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm not doing per cut pricing anymore. Putting all new yards on 12month payment plan.
Posted via Mobile Device

jequigle
01-05-2012, 07:58 PM
If you put $185/month make sure you state how many cuts per month they receive with that

KrayzKajun
01-05-2012, 08:34 PM
If you put $185/month make sure you state how many cuts per month they receive with that

It will be stated in the service agreement how the 40cuts are spaced out. Any additional cuts will be charged seperatly.

TriCityLawnCareLLC
01-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Here are my thoughts per your request...
I like that you are after 12 month contracts you're after the "GOOD" customers...
I'm leery of putting the $185 a month, Unless you're confident that you can steal work form other guys in the area who are charging more. If you're going after new people, people who've never had an LCO before the large monthly # might scare them away. Have you considered ..."Weekly Mowing starting at $40 with a 12 month contract" or something to that effect. I realize space is limited in regards to too much writing. Anyhow those are my thoughts. If you even put starting at $40 a week and leave the details out, it will get them to call you and once on the phone you can sell them on your dependability and quality...

nepatsfan
01-05-2012, 09:21 PM

Any ideas or Opinions??

One thing to consider is you are targeting nice decent sized yards I would assume. These people know they have a nice decent size yard, right? They might think if he starts at $185 a month our yard is probably $300 a month.

Almost anyone you get from a direct mail situation is going to be a price shopper. They didn't see your work, no one referred you, so they are going to be looking for a fair price. You need to sell them when you get there but whether they have a 250k dollar house or a million dollar house they are going to be looking mostly at price when they contact you through advertising.

My experience has been that most people that are referred are looking for quality work and they aren't shoppers, direct mail is typically not the case in my experience.

BCboy
01-05-2012, 09:31 PM
For me I would not put a starting price on my cards.
If someone who receives the card calls me to mow their lawn and says "your card said you would mow a yard for $___. Thats what I will pay".
They may have a yard the size of Walmart.
But if they call I always explain that cuts start at $25 and go up from there depending on the size of their yard. I also tell them I would be happy to come by and give them a actual price after seeing their yard. I then write that price on the back of my business card and hand it to them. I have never had anyone say I quoted less than what was on the card. I never put myself in the position to argue over price.

arninglawns
01-06-2012, 03:06 PM
I always put my price ($26) and "for lot sizes up to 8000 square feet" on my cards, and in the fine print "special prices are per visit and require a minimum of 4 mowings..." I also put a table showing the frequency of visits and prices for other size yards. So, when people call, they just say: "I want to sign up for your $26 program, here's my credit card number..." instead of "I've got a tiny little yard with hardly any grass and my neighbor's brother does it for $20, but he joined the Navy, can you do it for $15?"

Same type of deal is on my website (http://www.arninglawns.com).

xclusive
01-06-2012, 03:20 PM
I think that the price per month will scare off more people. I would advertise a per week price and then when you meet with potential clients explain that it is billed on a monthly basis. I have clients that do not like signing 12 month contracts cause in my area they are paying for 12 months and we are only servicing them for 9 months.

tyler_mott85
01-06-2012, 08:02 PM
I think you should just advertise the "12 month contract" aspect over the $185 a month part.

Do this and report how it works because I want to do the same thing next year. lol. k? Thanks so much.

Oh...

And good luck!

CALandscapes
01-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Personally, I'd leave that off. While it's definitely respectable to go after higher-end accounts, that $185 per month just sounds expensive. I think that you'll do a lot better explaining to them face-to-face the added value that you'll provide over their current "$50 per cut" mow, blow, and go guy...

BShaffer
01-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Personally, I'd leave that off. While it's definitely respectable to go after higher-end accounts, that $185 per month just sounds expensive. I think that you'll do a lot better explaining to them face-to-face the added value that you'll provide over their current "$50 per cut" mow, blow, and go guy...

I agree with this also. Get your foot in the door with a nice design, then sell yourself and your services. The "good" accounts will come.

sweetland
01-07-2012, 11:56 PM
I did this once where I put "services starting at $xx.xx" and then I got some calls and the people were stuck on that price even though they had a larger yard. It seems vague to put "reasonable prices" or something like that but just don't put yourself in a spot where people waste your time. People want everything for free!!
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
01-08-2012, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't mention price. Its not like you are too busy to give estimates. AND you can prequalify them over the phone by asking them the necessary questions.

grassmasterswilson
01-09-2012, 07:54 AM
It sounds like you are targeting neighborhoods that you want to service. If that's the case then I wouldn't put pricing on anything. I would advertise specials or different services. Then get on the property and go from there. Mine will say mowing and weed control packages available. Then I'm thinking about these specials

free soil test with yearly weed control program
free crabgrass application with monthly mowing program
save XX% off final application with yearly weed control program