PDA

View Full Version : Ford 6.7 Guys- Hows that Engine?

PlantscapeSolutions
01-06-2012, 01:54 PM
I know there is one post where a guy mentions a utility company that lost multiple 6.7's in less then 20,000 miles. I have only heard about a few issues when the Ford 6.7's came out but things seems to be pretty quite with any complaints. It's still the 6.0 & 6.4 that everyone is pissed about.

I wanted to heard from guys with blue oval 6.7's and hear how many miles they have and any issues they have encountered. Ford desperately needs the 6.7 to be the Holy Grail of engines since the international 6.0 & 6.4 made a ton of die hard Ford guys into D-max & Cummins owners.

The last decent Ford engine was the 7.3 and it was not as stout as the 12 valve & 24 valve 5.9 the competition had under the hood. The 5.9's were the Chevy 350's of the Diesel world and had stock internal that could handle insane power levels.

4 seasons lawn&land
01-06-2012, 06:11 PM
The 6.4 was brutal on fuel. I thought i heard that it was otherwise pretty good but then again you have to wonder why they only made it for 1 year.

PlantscapeSolutions
01-06-2012, 09:55 PM
The 6.4 was brutal on fuel. I thought i heard that it was otherwise pretty good but then again you have to wonder why they only made it for 1 year.

For any Diesel owners it good to have a subscription to Diesel Power magazine. For the Ford guys it lists all the issues with the 6.0 and the lesser issues with the 6.4. It shows you all the aftermarket EGR deletes or improved EGR's from places like Bullet Proof Diesel. You can get the improved divider that keeps the engine oil from mixing with the oil that is used to fire the injectors. After market oil coolers that cools the oil that gets heated when it's pressurized to fire the injectors. For 6.0 guys the $1200 ARP 625 head studs to prevent blown HG's. Turbo's to replace problematic variable vane turbo's on the 6.0 and a few more goodies.

I think for a 6.0 for parts and labor you can easily be looking at $3000 to fix everything. If you don't do the $1200 studs there is a high likely hood you will get to see what your truck looks like with the cab removed and $2000 or more missing from your bank account.

Because the 6.0 has such a reputation as a turd motor you can find them for cheap and fix the problems. The 6.4 resale value isn't anything to brag about but it not as bad as the 6.0. If you plan on running the hell out of a 6.0 or 6.4 it's not a bad deal if you can pick one up at the right price and swap out the problematic parts.

4 seasons lawn&land
01-06-2012, 10:03 PM
im no expert but from what I understand, there is NO fixing a 6.0. It seems as though there are fundemental design flaws right to the core.

PlantscapeSolutions
01-06-2012, 10:26 PM
im no expert but from what I understand, there is NO fixing a 6.0. It seems as though there are fundemental design flaws right to the core.

The biggest structural design flaw is the skimpy amount of head bolts. The ARP heads studs allow your to clamp the head down with greater force and puts a stop to blown HG's.

I'm no blue oval fan but I'm trying to get some neutral feedback from Ford guys as to how the 6.7 is holding up. All the 6.0 & 6.4 fix info is from the after market experts who have had great results reforming those bad boy 6.0's and less naughty 6.4's.

I have the ARP 625 studs on my inline 6.7 as well since it is modified a little. It's hard to believe that a handful of heads studs will set you back $1200.

GravelyGuy
01-07-2012, 01:07 AM
I have one with 14k. Not even a hiccup, great truck so far. I have heard of some high pressure fuel pump failures from poor fuel quality in the US. I would run an additive at every fill up if you get one.

Ford uses the same Bosch pump that Volkswagen and Audi have been having problems with. You can thank the good old environmentalist for the poor fuel in the states.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cornell
01-07-2012, 03:08 AM

ARP headstuds + EGR delete + turbo and they are pretty solid

I would never own a 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7.

We had a 7.3 that was amazing.

Between my Dad and I we have had all Duramaxs ever since. I had an 02, 06 and now 07 Classic. My Dad had an 02, an 05 and now his 2012. I usually get rd of them @ 100k even though there is nothing wrong with them. I'm going to keep my 07 for 200-300k though.

4 seasons lawn&land
01-07-2012, 10:16 AM
ARP headstuds + EGR delete + turbo and they are pretty solid

I would never own a 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7.

We had a 7.3 that was amazing.

Between my Dad and I we have had all Duramaxs ever since. I had an 02, 06 and now 07 Classic. My Dad had an 02, an 05 and now his 2012. I usually get rd of them @ 100k even though there is nothing wrong with them. I'm going to keep my 07 for 200-300k though.

Problem is if you want a 550. The GM's are cool but an odd ball, little too big. The Dodge's are rare and expensive. Im starting to lean toward a regular 1 ton which are all over the place with good deals and a wide aray of diesels and gassers to choose from.

PlantscapeSolutions
01-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Problem is if you want a 550. The GM's are cool but an odd ball, little too big. The Dodge's are rare and expensive. Im starting to lean toward a regular 1 ton which are all over the place with good deals and a wide aray of diesels and gassers to choose from.

I recall your post on this issue. You can get a dually like my 09' Ram 3500 and airbag the axle with PacBrake units and the bed will hold more then a stock 4500 or 5500. Throw in some 4.10 gears and it will have unbelievable hill climbing power. My truck has the 3.73's.

Contractors who buy the 4500's & 5500's run them for 300K+ miles so you rarely see a low mileage unit for sale. Until the CR 5.9 came out in 2003 it used to be hard to find even a decent 2500 or 3500. All I could find was the Ford 7.3's that everyone had for sale.

PlantscapeSolutions
01-07-2012, 11:15 AM
GravelyGuy have you ever been to the Ford Diesel forum? I peeked over their to see what issues people had posted and there's a lot of diehard blue oval guys will attack you the second you post something unflattering. A few new guys were posting major issues that they had encountered and some of the guys on the forum wanted to see receipts and all kind of crazy stuff to prove there was really a problem. They were accusing anyone with an issue they couldn't prove of being a "mole". Apparently the term "mole" was being used to ID people who don't bleed blue and have blind faith.

I've seen guys on TDR who were spewing hate about Dodges get some grief but the Powerstroke.org site seemed to have a handful of members who were just dying to lynch people. Even the site administrator had to step in and tell the lynch mob to back off. I guess after the 6.0 & 6.4's some of the blind faith Ford to the death guys have become overly sensitive about criticism.

4 seasons lawn&land
01-07-2012, 12:09 PM
what a waste of time. They dont have any problems with them because they arent driving or working them cause they are posting all day.

meets1
01-07-2012, 12:53 PM
We had a few fords with the 6.0 no good. Switched now to all GM, som far they have been great. I have a 2010 and 2011 d-max Great so far. I love it really. The 2011 has urina tank which is kinda a hassle but thats it. I have a 07 n 09 gasser chevy 3/4 tons, they plow, they trailer, they haul. I like the diesels better but no shortage of power, they handle good and I run things to the 125-150K mark.

My father in law is now a dodge owner. he is on his second one 3/4 ton cummins. Alot of room in cab but no compasrion to our d-max. All the expereince I have with dodge.

Gotta remember every year one truck or the other has to trump something from the previous truck of year, be it torque, power, box frame ect. They all are nice but if one truck has the reputation to go the distance for me that is where I will spend the money cuz i need to last to our milage plan.

PlantscapeSolutions
01-07-2012, 05:43 PM
We had a few fords with the 6.0 no good. Switched now to all GM, som far they have been great. I have a 2010 and 2011 d-max Great so far. I love it really. The 2011 has urina tank which is kinda a hassle but thats it. I have a 07 n 09 gasser chevy 3/4 tons, they plow, they trailer, they haul. I like the diesels better but no shortage of power, they handle good and I run things to the 125-150K mark.

My father in law is now a dodge owner. he is on his second one 3/4 ton cummins. Alot of room in cab but no compasrion to our d-max. All the expereince I have with dodge.

Gotta remember every year one truck or the other has to trump something from the previous truck of year, be it torque, power, box frame ect. They all are nice but if one truck has the reputation to go the distance for me that is where I will spend the money cuz i need to last to our milage plan.

I think you meant to say "urea" tank. If you urina in the tank you may feel better but I don't think the truck is ever going to be the same.:rolleyes:

GravelyGuy
01-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Plantscape, the only ford forum that I am a member at is Ford Truck Enthusiast. Same deal over there, they are a bunch of cheerleaders and if you say anything bad about ford they get all bent out of shape.

I have heard of HPFP problems like I said before and some valve trouble, but the valve trouble seems to be isolated to 450 and 550 cab and chassis. They run a different tune than the pickups. Although rare(nothing like the 6.0)these repairs are big money so it is something to consider. Overall these engines seem to be very reliable and I would buy another.
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
01-07-2012, 10:50 PM
How does the dodge tranny stack up against the allison?
Posted via Mobile Device

Cornell
01-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

68re I would say is almost the same strength wise as the 6 speed allison.. allison is a smarter trans though.

ProTouch Groundscapes
01-08-2012, 01:09 AM
brother has an 06 6.0 with about 110K on her, did studs, egr delete, and a bunch of other bullet proofing. she carries a 9'2" boss v with wings that makes it 11', a diesel transfer tank and a 2yd salt spreader, has grossed 16K many times. works all year round and spanks the occasional 350z and srt4 with the idp custom tune.

my 6.4 has 70K with dpf/doc delete, s&b intake & h&s mini maxx with kem tunes. can absolutely scare the shite out of you with the power these engines can put out. and with all the crap off the truck, ive hand calcd just about 20mpg on long distance trips.

i have no issue buying 06-07 6.0L trucks, take care of them and they take care of you. when these run out, i will be looking for 09-10 6.4 trucks and stripping them of the unnecessary crap.

chevy & dodge both make good trucks as well, no arguments there, but there is alot of misinformation about powerstrokes going around.

PlantscapeSolutions
01-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Plantscape, the only ford forum that I am a member at is Ford Truck Enthusiast. Same deal over there, they are a bunch of cheerleaders and if you say anything bad about ford they get all bent out of shape.

I have heard of HPFP problems like I said before and some valve trouble, but the valve trouble seems to be isolated to 450 and 550 cab and chassis. They run a different tune than the pickups. Although rare(nothing like the 6.0)these repairs are big money so it is something to consider. Overall these engines seem to be very reliable and I would buy another.
Posted via Mobile Device

As you rack up the miles let us know how things go. Is it easy to do the DPF delete in your area if you get the itch?

PlantscapeSolutions
01-08-2012, 01:41 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

At stock power levels it is very hard to kill an Allison 6 speed or the Dodge 68RFE. If you are a gear head and want more power it will cost you more to mod the 68RFE to handle the power. Suncoast is the only place that has designed a 68RFE trans with a custom drum and clutch assembly that will hold a 1000 hp 6.7.

The Allison trans has proved to be too complicated on the software side for some power demons and they have actually swapped in either 47RE or 48RE Dodge trans units to back their Dmax engines.

AintNoFun
01-08-2012, 09:16 AM
i have 17k miles on mine.. so far so good!

GravelyGuy
01-08-2012, 09:51 AM
No smog test around here if I decide to delete. I will delete it when it starts giving me trouble. I already get 19+ mpg on the highway at 75 and it has 800 pounds of torque. I question how much there is to gain with a tune? It's worth keeping my warranty right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Panhead
01-18-2012, 01:30 AM
GravelyGuy have you ever been to the Ford Diesel forum? I peeked over their to see what issues people had posted and there's a lot of diehard blue oval guys will attack you the second you post something unflattering. A few new guys were posting major issues that they had encountered and some of the guys on the forum wanted to see receipts and all kind of crazy stuff to prove there was really a problem. They were accusing anyone with an issue they couldn't prove of being a "mole". Apparently the term "mole" was being used to ID people who don't bleed blue and have blind faith.

I've seen guys on TDR who were spewing hate about Dodges get some grief but the Powerstroke.org site seemed to have a handful of members who were just dying to lynch people. Even the site administrator had to step in and tell the lynch mob to back off. I guess after the 6.0 & 6.4's some of the blind faith Ford to the death guys have become overly sensitive about criticism.

Haha, well atleast you aren't the only one that experienced that. Used to be on a Ford forum and that was a complete joke. One thing about those EGR delete kits for the Powerstroke, they are only for off-road use. Remembered reading that in one of the Diesel Power Mag issues.

hunterpreferred
01-18-2012, 07:41 AM
@Gravely Guy, Did you start to get better mpg after the truck had a few thousand miles on it? I only have 900 miles on mine and I have been averaging 13.5mpg, mostly in town driving and letting the truck warm up for a while on cold mornings.

I was driving a 04 Dmax and I have to say it has just under 100k miles and I have never had any issues with it, just VERY loud in the cab compared to the 6.7I,m hoping to get atleast 100k out of the Ford with no problems.

GravelyGuy
01-18-2012, 09:46 AM
My mileage hasn't really changed since new. I don't think I've ever seen it below 15 MPG unloaded. It does go down by several MPG In the winter. I'm sure this is due to running at colder temps and the winter blend fuels. I do run Motorcraft cetane boost through every tank. I can't say if this increases MPG, I use it for lubrication purposes. It also seems to reduce regen cycles. I barely ever notice my truck going into regen.
Posted via Mobile Device

hunterpreferred
01-18-2012, 04:17 PM
My mileage hasn't really changed since new. I don't think I've ever seen it below 15 MPG unloaded. It does go down by several MPG In the winter. I'm sure this is due to running at colder temps and the winter blend fuels. I do run Motorcraft cetane boost through every tank. I can't say if this increases MPG, I use it for lubrication purposes. It also seems to reduce regen cycles. I barely ever notice my truck going into regen.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the reply. When I picked it up at the dealer the dash said average 17.5mpg and its been going down ever since. I put some Power Service octane booster in today, diesel mechanic said to do it for lubrication. This may be a dumb question, but what does regen cycle mean? I should note that I have a utility body on mine and this may effect the mpg, not sure. I really like the truck so far, I have 3 Dmax trucks and I figured I would give the new Ford diesels a shot. I hope I don't end up regretting the decision.

GravelyGuy
01-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. When I picked it up at the dealer the dash said average 17.5mpg and its been going down ever since. I put some Power Service octane booster in today, diesel mechanic said to do it for lubrication. This may be a dumb question, but what does regen cycle mean? I should note that I have a utility body on mine and this may effect the mpg, not sure. I really like the truck so far, I have 3 Dmax trucks and I figured I would give the new Ford diesels a shot. I hope I don't end up regretting the decision.

Small things like utility bodies do affect mileage. I have a rack on the back of my gas 09 F250 and I get better mileage with it off.

Regeneration occurs when the DPF (giant filter in the exhaust, looks like a missile under your truck lol) gets plugged up with soot. Once it reaches a certain point of restriction, the computer tells your truck to dump fuel into it through the exhaust and burn off the built up soot. Since this process uses fuel, so you will notice a significant decrease in mileage while the process happens.

The 6.7 is equipped with a diesel particulate filter (DPF), and it also uses selective catalyst reduction (SCR). This process mixes urea into the exhaust to convert nitrogen oxides (NOx) to water and nitrogen gas. This process takes some of the work load off of the DPF. This is why the 6.7 is getting much better MPG than the previous 6.4L put in Ford trucks from 08-2010.

Any diesel trucks after 2008 will never be as reliable as your older 04 Duramax. All the emmisions stuff just adds a ton of things to go wrong.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
01-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Haha, well atleast you aren't the only one that experienced that. Used to be on a Ford forum and that was a complete joke. One thing about those EGR delete kits for the Powerstroke, they are only for off-road use. Remembered reading that in one of the Diesel Power Mag issues.

It says off road use only to keep the EPA off there back.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
01-18-2012, 09:21 PM

In many areas you can get away with multiple emissions violations. I have no EGR, DPF, or NOX converter on my Cummins 6.7. On trucks with regular inspections in TX they do not care about emissions equipment. On truck's like mine with a commercial inspection they do care but lets just say I know a guy.

Ramairfreak98ss
02-07-2012, 12:10 AM

lol, hit the research button in google much :/

all the "flaws" deal with the emissions crap.. namely the egr cooler, change that out and thats most of your problems ever... they only blow head gaskets because of the egr flaw and guys running a ton of power through them.

slamjamrockinman
02-09-2012, 02:54 AM
Great thread, but we still haven't heard from anyone who has significant mileage on one. I'm curious as time goes on if this motor will prove itself. Drives me nuts with all the hype about the 6.7, Mostly from ford guys. How can you hype a motor that has not been proven long term? Really? All I hear is how much power the new 6.7 has blah, blah, blah. Ya the 6.0 had great power compared to the 7.3, and ya sure its a great motor... after 3k+ worth of mods, then it may be on the same reliability page as a duramax or cummins in stock form. Sorry, had to rant.

dwc
02-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Everyone seems to praise the 5.9 Cummins. I had an '05 and it was the most push rod bending, injector eating motor I have seen. Drove it til 100K and dumped it for a 6.4 powerstroke.
My point is, I think they ALL have problems anymore, especially thanks to the emissions garbage.

BPS##
02-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Great thread, but we still haven't heard from anyone who has significant mileage on one.

Friend of mine has around 40k on his. If hes had any issues hes kept them to himself.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Everyone seems to praise the 5.9 Cummins. I had an '05 and it was the most push rod bending, injector eating motor I have seen. Drove it til 100K and dumped it for a 6.4 powerstroke.
My point is, I think they ALL have problems anymore, especially thanks to the emissions garbage.

No manufacture is perfect but the Cummins has the best track record since it was put in the Dodge in 89'. That's really strange to have push rod and injector issues. The stock push rods can usually still work fine in hot rodded 5.9 that has closer to 1000 HP. The durability of the injectors is usually never an issue as well. The Bosh injectors in the CR 5.9's tend to outlast all others.

That sucks you had issues and were driven to buying a Ford and it's ever changing 6.0, 6.4, & 6.7 engine lineup. Usually, it the other way around where die hard Ford guy have been burned and are making the jump to Cummins power or a Dmax.

My old die hard Ford boss used to give me crap over my Dodge. He blew a head gasket on his 6.0 coming back from Alaska and was forced to use a Dodge with a Cummins as a loaner. His family had several Ford trucks and he was so pissed off with his repeated engine problems and lack of support from Ford that he sold all his Fords and bought all Dodges.

Even though the 6.4 is a lot better then the 6.0 it still probably the second most complained about motor on lawnsite. Hopefully you have good luck with yours. If not, there are actually places like Destroked, fordcumminspower.com, fordcummins.com, and dieselconversion.com, that specialize in putting Cummins engines in Ford trucks. It's great that Fords poor track record supports an entire engine swap industry, OEM parts suppliers, and god knows how many mechanics across the country. Ford has probably been responsible for pumping over a billion dollars into the economy. Thank you for your generosity Ford!

BPS##
02-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Ford has probably been responsible for pumping over a billion dollars into the economy. Thank you for your generosity Ford!

At least they are contributing to the economy. :laugh: :laugh:

Unlike the other two clown manufacturers that soak up tax payer dollars to stay afloat.

mjstef
02-10-2012, 11:44 AM
I haven't talked to ANYBODY getting any decent mileage out of the new Cummins. My buddy is trying to dump his "11" right now as it's constantly in the shop with EGR issues ect. Another guy i know has a "12" Ford and is getting upper teens in town and low 20's on the highway. And like the above post, Ford didn't take taxpayer $$$$$$!!!

sealcutter
02-10-2012, 05:32 PM
No manufacture is perfect but the Cummins has the best track record since it was put in the Dodge in 89'. That's really strange to have push rod and injector issues. The stock push rods can usually still work fine in hot rodded 5.9 that has closer to 1000 HP. The durability of the injectors is usually never an issue as well. The Bosh injectors in the CR 5.9's tend to outlast all others.

That sucks you had issues and were driven to buying a Ford and it's ever changing 6.0, 6.4, & 6.7 engine lineup. Usually, it the other way around where die hard Ford guy have been burned and are making the jump to Cummins power or a Dmax.

My old die hard Ford boss used to give me crap over my Dodge. He blew a head gasket on his 6.0 coming back from Alaska and was forced to use a Dodge with a Cummins as a loaner. His family had several Ford trucks and he was so pissed off with his repeated engine problems and lack of support from Ford that he sold all his Fords and bought all Dodges.

Even though the 6.4 is a lot better then the 6.0 it still probably the second most complained about motor on lawnsite. Hopefully you have good luck with yours. If not, there are actually places like Destroked, fordcumminspower.com, fordcummins.com, and dieselconversion.com, that specialize in putting Cummins engines in Ford trucks. It's great that Fords poor track record supports an entire engine swap industry, OEM parts suppliers, and god knows how many mechanics across the country. Ford has probably been responsible for pumping over a billion dollars into the economy. Thank you for your generosity Ford!

I don't like getting in the truck wars but you have made a very good point. I was raised on Ford's no problems until 95, All mine were gassers and a brand new f350 less then 40000 was spending more time in the shop so I traded in on another new gasser and was a repeat of the same problems. I did trade it in on 2500hd and was good call I just sold that truck over the winter. Wife wanted a new car so she picked new Ford Explorer, when we picked it up I noticed condensation in side of both head lights, I was told that was normal! Long story short Jan 4th. of this year under the lemon law that turd was bought back by Ford. They couldn't seem to pin point a short or something that caused the car to shut down and had to be reflashed every time. Left us stranded several times too. Less than 8000 miles. I am a member of a local business assoc. and meet with many business owners once a month for a dinner and drinks. Two of the larger locally owned LCO have sold off the newer Ford for the Chevy or Dodge. One owner said last year during the snow storms out of his 7 plow trucks at least two were tied up at the dealer every snow storm. Some how he found two 12v 5.9 in 90 dodge's that he swears got him through last winter. Hope they pull off this new set up, I know allot are waiting to see how they hold up.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-10-2012, 09:10 PM
I haven't talked to ANYBODY getting any decent mileage out of the new Cummins. My buddy is trying to dump his "11" right now as it's constantly in the shop with EGR issues ect. Another guy i know has a "12" Ford and is getting upper teens in town and low 20's on the highway. And like the above post, Ford didn't take taxpayer $$$$$$!!!

The great thing about a Cummins 6.7 is in the rare occasion you have a lingering emissions issue you can do a delete. Then you left with an engine with rock solid architecture and a long track record since the 6.7 is based on the 5.9.

Cummins is the whole reason people buy Rams not because they have blind faith in the company. I think Ford could come out with a gerble powered truck and some of the die hard blue oval guys would buy it.

Cummins made big bucks during our economic down turn and never had cash flow issues. Ford had money issues just like everyone else but was able to tap a line of credit and go into debt in the private sector versus the public sector.

The big kicker Cummins fans have to love is that the big dog F650 & F750 only come with the medium duty certified Cummins 6.7 and not Fords own 6.7.

Marek
02-11-2012, 05:57 PM

Ford didnt have to take money from the Govt . They were screwing people out of warranty problems and rakin in tons of money in service and repair on 6.0 and 6.4s.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Ford didnt have to take money from the Govt . They were screwing people out of warranty problems and rakin in tons of money in service and repair on 6.0 and 6.4s.

That's hitting the nail on the head! When you start seeing multiple companies like Destroked starting to yank out Cummins and Dmax engines and inserting 7.3. 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7 Fords then the blue oval guys can talk some smack. But that's not how things have been for the last decade. It's the other way around.

People have been yanking Ford Powerstrokes out left and right and installing every type of 5.9 and yes the 6.7 as well. You can get 12 valve, 24 valve, CR, and 6.7 kits to repower your Ford F250, F350, and Excursion.

At least Ford saved the F650 & F750 guys the time by installing a decent medium duty certified engine from the start. But for the rest of you guys you'll have to give the folks at Destroked a call if you want the top dog engine in the F650's & F750's under your hood as well :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-11-2012, 06:51 PM
I was just looking at Destroked website and got a good laugh. You have to look at the caption over the Ford truck http://www.destroked.com/index.php.

pitrack
02-15-2012, 11:52 PM

And NOBODY does deletes and still drives on the roads.

:laughing:

JDGlandscape
02-17-2012, 01:26 PM
To the OP, go over to thedieselstop.com and read about it there. MANY happy people with the 6.7. I have been researching this engine thoroughly and overall everyone seems to be happy. The problem with online is, it is the FIRST place people go when they have a problem, but the majority of people who dont have a problem dont bother. people like complaining more than praising.

But anyway, there are several people who have high miles on them. There is one company that uses them specicially for a transporting business and has almost 150K on it with a trailer over 10k hooked up for 140k of the miles. If i recall correctly, he has very very few problems with any of them. And these trucks are gettign like 22-23 mpg empty on the highway

The transmission problems were only the ones built in the first few months of production and they are fixable with a tune from the dealer. The HPOP problems are few and far inbetween judging by the amount of trucks they produced.

Another thing you have to consider is that ford outsold chevy and dodge combined. So theyre are twice as many of the trucks, so YES you will hear of more problems. Overall, truck to truck, the ford has had less problems in 2011 and 2012 than both chevy and dodge for the deisels.

Marek
02-17-2012, 02:35 PM
What problems have you seen with the 2011 Duramax ??????????????????

PlantscapeSolutions
02-17-2012, 03:36 PM
To the OP, go over to thedieselstop.com and read about it there. MANY happy people with the 6.7. I have been researching this engine thoroughly and overall everyone seems to be happy. The problem with online is, it is the FIRST place people go when they have a problem, but the majority of people who dont have a problem dont bother. people like complaining more than praising.

But anyway, there are several people who have high miles on them. There is one company that uses them specicially for a transporting business and has almost 150K on it with a trailer over 10k hooked up for 140k of the miles. If i recall correctly, he has very very few problems with any of them. And these trucks are gettign like 22-23 mpg empty on the highway

The transmission problems were only the ones built in the first few months of production and they are fixable with a tune from the dealer. The HPOP problems are few and far inbetween judging by the amount of trucks they produced.

Another thing you have to consider is that ford outsold chevy and dodge combined. So theyre are twice as many of the trucks, so YES you will hear of more problems. Overall, truck to truck, the ford has had less problems in 2011 and 2012 than both chevy and dodge for the deisels.

It is definitely always the people who love or hate their truck you hear about. So far it is definitely looking like Ford has the best engine out they've ever had in an HD truck. Everyone praises the 7.3 since the 6.0 & 6.4 had more issues but the 7.3 really wasn't anything special it was just an average engine with no issues. I had a 7.3 in one of my past trucks.

The one thing that Ford is able to exploit is that it may outsell Chevy but once you add in GMC (same truck +/-) Ford has not been the best selling truck much of the time. Next door in Canada the Cummins powered Rams are the number one selling HD truck.

It would be very interesting to see detailed info on year to year GM/Ford/Dodge Diesel sales since 1989 when the first turbo Diesel became available. I think the one thing that is a given is that GM wasn't even a player in Diesels until 2001 and probably poached away a lot of Ford guys since they had the largest share of the market.

It's also a given that we all know many more die hard Ford guys then GM or Dodge combined that have jumped ship because of how they were treated over past engine issues. Nobody is perfect but Ford has made a ton of guys Dmax or Cummins fans. My old boss had several Ford trucks and talked crap about Dodge but now it's all he owns.

The one spot where Ford is taking another hit is the F450 - F550 market. Dodge finally pulled it's head out of it azz with it's 6.7 powered 4500 & 5500. The DEF using C&C trucks have a great reputation and are stealing market share really nicely. Plus in a 5500 the Cummins 6.7 gets 14% better MPG's then Fords F550.

I would be interested to see a source for the Chevy & Cummins issues exceeding the Ford 6.7 problems. That comment seems like a stretch. None of the current oil burning choices have any issues.

We all benefit from the Ford/GMC/Cummins power war and I can't wait to see what the next DEF using 6.7 Ram 2500/3500 models will have for numbers. How long will it be before your able to buy a truck with 900 ft lbs of torque?

JDGlandscape
02-17-2012, 04:17 PM
It is definitely always the people who love or hate their truck you hear about. So far it is definitely looking like Ford has the best engine out they've ever had in an HD truck. Everyone praises the 7.3 since the 6.0 & 6.4 had more issues but the 7.3 really wasn't anything special it was just an average engine with no issues. I had a 7.3 in one of my past trucks.

The one thing that Ford is able to exploit is that it may outsell Chevy but once you add in GMC (same truck +/-) Ford has not been the best selling truck much of the time. Next door in Canada the Cummins powered Rams are the number one selling HD truck.

It would be very interesting to see detailed info on year to year GM/Ford/Dodge Diesel sales since 1989 when the first turbo Diesel became available. I think the one thing that is a given is that GM wasn't even a player in Diesels until 2001 and probably poached away a lot of Ford guys since they had the largest share of the market.

It's also a given that we all know many more die hard Ford guys then GM or Dodge combined that have jumped ship because of how they were treated over past engine issues. Nobody is perfect but Ford has made a ton of guys Dmax or Cummins fans. My old boss had several Ford trucks and talked crap about Dodge but now it's all he owns.

The one spot where Ford is taking another hit is the F450 - F550 market. Dodge finally pulled it's head out of it azz with it's 6.7 powered 4500 & 5500. The DEF using C&C trucks have a great reputation and are stealing market share really nicely. Plus in a 5500 the Cummins 6.7 gets 14% better MPG's then Fords F550.

I would be interested to see a source for the Chevy & Cummins issues exceeding the Ford 6.7 problems. That comment seems like a stretch. None of the current oil burning choices have any issues.

We all benefit from the Ford/GMC/Cummins power war and I can't wait to see what the next DEF using 6.7 Ram 2500/3500 models will have for numbers. How long will it be before your able to buy a truck with 900 ft lbs of torque?

I may have been a bit off with that last statement, but all i meant by it was that I started looking at these trucks when they first came out, and at first for me it was a dead tie between the chevy dmax and the ford. I will say that i have had chevy trucks and honestly, i like them a lot and i would definately buy a new one if the price was right.
What i found, (which MAY NOT be true) but it is what i found is that after all my research and reading shootouts i came down to the consensus that the 6.7 ford was fairing a little better after reading all the forums.

There didnt seem to be many recurring problems with the chevy, they had about the same amount of HPOP problems as the ford, but lots of people complained about whinning noises and lots of noises that they cant find, leaking oil and leaking coolant and just little things like that.

So basically the new dmax is still on my list, just slightly behind the ford after all the things that i have read about the two engines.. Sorry no hard feelings meant with the last post lol

muddywater
02-17-2012, 06:47 PM
22-23mpg in a heavy duty truck is just not possible. Even when i had a 12v dodge, the best i got was 18mpg.

After owning a 6.0 ford, it will be awhile before ford earns my trust. I have 3 duramaxes and i have been very happy

lawnspecialties
02-17-2012, 08:45 PM
I've had all of the last four Ford diesels. Ironically, my '01 7.3L was the least dependable with two faulty cam sensors. My '05 6.0L was perfect for four years and 51,000 miles. My '09 6.4L was a beautiful truck with gobs of power. Unfortunately, it used gobs of fuel.

I've had my '11 6.7L F450 for nine months now. So far, its been great. Ridiculous amounts of power and even with a 4.30 rear end, I can squeak out 18 mpg at 55 mph. When I'm pulling my 45' toy hauler, the rig weighs a total combined weight of over 28,000 lbs. and I can still get 9 mpg on the interstates if I go easy on the throttle.

JDGlandscape
02-17-2012, 08:50 PM
22-23mpg in a heavy duty truck is just not possible. Even when i had a 12v dodge, the best i got was 18mpg.

After owning a 6.0 ford, it will be awhile before ford earns my trust. I have 3 duramaxes and i have been very happy

Are you a Psysicist, do you know exactly what is possible? My uncle has a 2011 F350 srw ext cab and on a three hour highway trip he got 23.5 mpg HAND calculated.

There is also an article online that some magazine that always tests vehicles and they are competitive drivers, but competetive as in they take vehicles and try to get the best possible mpgs with them. They got a 2011 f250 6.7 to get 34 mpgs. :weightlifter: and that is without doing major modifications or any chips and all emissions stuff still on
It is possible

and considering the post above me can get 18 mpgs out of an F450 with 4.30 gearing, i think a srw F350 with only 3.31s can get more

PlantscapeSolutions
02-17-2012, 09:05 PM

In Diesel Powers mileage test here is what they were able to achieve with 2011 trucks. Keep in mind you must buy $3-$4 a gallon DEF for Ford and GM. Next year all the Cummins 6.7's will likely have it as well. Currently only the C&C Dodges have DEF.

When cutting and pasting the text in this mpg test is bunched up by the lawnsite forum.

Fuel Economy Loop (with and without trailers, each truck drove loop twice)
TRUCK: MILEAGE (EMPTY): MILEAGE (WITH 10,000-POUND TRAILER):
Ford F-250 17.61 mpg 13.25 mpg
Chevy 2500 20.14 mpg 13.53 mpg
Ram 2500 17.49 mpg 12.58 mpg
TRUCK: MILEAGE (EMPTY): MILEAGE (WITH 12,000-POUND TRAILER):
Ford F-350 17.04 mpg 12.45 mpg
GMC 3500 17.83 mpg 11.02 mpg
Ram 3500 14.75 mpg 11.35 mpg

PlantscapeSolutions
02-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Are you a Psysicist, do you know exactly what is possible? My uncle has a 2011 F350 srw ext cab and on a three hour highway trip he got 23.5 mpg HAND calculated.

There is also an article online that some magazine that always tests vehicles and they are competitive drivers, but competetive as in they take vehicles and try to get the best possible mpgs with them. They got a 2011 f250 6.7 to get 34 mpgs. :weightlifter: and that is without doing major modifications or any chips and all emissions stuff still on
It is possible

and considering the post above me can get 18 mpgs out of an F450 with 4.30 gearing, i think a srw F350 with only 3.31s can get more

I think if you drive like an old poop and keep the rpm's down to 1600 at 50 mph it may be possible to pick up a few mpg's. I would be willing to bet the tittle to my truck that if you opened up the differential on Fords 34 mpg test there were some gears down in the 2.XX range that you would never use in the real world. There's definitely something fishy about 34 mpg's. It's a BS number you will never see from any truck on a Ford lot.

muddywater
02-17-2012, 09:43 PM

It is possible

I will never believe those numbers. Cummins have always been the most efficient engine, and even when i had a modded 12v, it would barely get 18mpg.

34 mpg is a lie. Either that or it was all downhill!

JDGlandscape
02-17-2012, 09:53 PM
oh Sorry, if you couldnt get more than 18 with the dodge then i will never get more with any diesel lol i must have dreamed about getting 23 lol no hard feelings just saying
Posted via Mobile Device

GravelyGuy
02-17-2012, 10:08 PM
I will never believe those numbers. Cummins have always been the most efficient engine, and even when i had a modded 12v, it would barely get 18mpg.

34 mpg is a lie. Either that or it was all downhill!

I get over 18 hwy with my stock 6.7 all day. Mine is a Crew cab, long bed, 4x4, with a lift and 35" mud tires.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Diesel Power just managed about 28 mpg's on their project rust bucket truck. It was about a 92 D250. They hot rodded it and upped the rwhp from about 150 to 450 on fuel only. I'm biased in general towards the Cummins since it is the Chevy 350 of Diesel performance. But in general unloaded the Duramax has tended to get a little better mpg's. It's possible Ford may dethrone the Dmax as the unloaded MPG king of DEF trucks. But because of it's track record handicap it's going to take more then mpg's for Ford to win over many truck guys any time soon.

mjstef
02-17-2012, 11:03 PM
All i can say to you GM & Dodge drivers is i hope you like paying your taxes to support companies that can't stand on their own 2 feet. All of us that pay taxes are on the lam for $23.77 billion dollars that GM or Dodge will NEVER pay back. You can thank the CEO's and greedy Unions for this! I will NEVER give a dollar to either company in my lifetime. Screw em!!!

Treasury ups auto bailout loss estimate

Washington -The U.S. Treasury Department boosted its estimate of government losses in the $85 billion auto bailout by $170 million.

In the government's latest report to Congress this month, the Treasury upped its estimate to $23.77 billion, up from $23.6 billion.

Last fall, the government dramatically boosted its forecast of losses on the rescues of General Motors Co., Chrysler Group LLC and their finance units from $14 billion to $23.6 billion.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120130/AUTO01/201300393

BPS##
02-17-2012, 11:08 PM
My 12 yr old paid for Ford has been getting 18s mpg right along now the last month or so.
Except when I'm plowing.

Not bad for winter fuel, and I'm happy.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-17-2012, 11:26 PM
All i can say to you GM & Dodge drivers is i hope you like paying your taxes to support companies that can't stand on their own 2 feet. All of us that pay taxes are on the lam for $23.77 billion dollars that GM or Dodge will NEVER pay back. You can thank the CEO's and greedy Unions for this! I will NEVER give a dollar to either company in my lifetime. Screw em!!!

Treasury ups auto bailout loss estimate

Washington -The U.S. Treasury Department boosted its estimate of government losses in the $85 billion auto bailout by $170 million.

In the government's latest report to Congress this month, the Treasury upped its estimate to $23.77 billion, up from $23.6 billion.

Last fall, the government dramatically boosted its forecast of losses on the rescues of General Motors Co., Chrysler Group LLC and their finance units from $14 billion to $23.6 billion.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120130/AUTO01/201300393

I guess there must be a lot of airlines you don't fly and places you don't bank as well. Too bad the Treasury couldn't bail out all the people who got screwed by the 6.0 and to a lesser extent 6.4. It's not like GM and Chrysler are the devil and Ford is some Saint.

mjstef
02-17-2012, 11:34 PM
I guess there must be a lot of airlines you don't fly and places you don't bank as well. Too bad the Treasury couldn't bail out all the people who got screwed by the 6.0 and to a lesser extent 6.4. It's not like GM and Chrysler are the devil and Ford is some Saint.

I had a 6.0. 12K in warranty work in 136K Ford gave me an extended warranty to 150K. I got rid of it before then and went back to a 7.3. Other than the engine, the truck was PERFECT. No hard feelings against Ford. It was the damn emissions that caused all the issues. International didn't have near the problems in their busses and medium duty trucks. I went back to old school trucks as i quit borrowing $$$ about 5 years ago. Since i quit paying payments and buy what i need with CASH i have more $$$ than i have ever had. and no, i don't fly. I drive where i want to go as it's more enjoyable. I bank at a small regional bank that is has been buying up broke banks.........

rstan2010
02-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Of course all the dodge owners are gonna praise there cummins trucks all day long and the ford guys will praise there trucks. At the end of the day they all have there fair share of problems especially all the new diesels with all the emissions. Cummins has been a great engine wrapped around a garbage truck. Ford is a great truck ruined by the 6.0 and some what the 6.4. Maybe they got it rite with the 6.7. GM has a great proven engine the duramax and with the new beefier frames and suspension they seem to take the lead. All this talk in here about how great the cummins is blah blah blah. The 6.7 cummins has had many problems with all the emissions intact. The only way the 6.7 is any good is if you do all the deletes. Just my opinion

Swampy
02-17-2012, 11:48 PM

You might want to update your noodle. GM has been putting in 6.2L Detriot in since 1980. First in the 1st gen HUMMV (M998 series). A few years later the military was looking for a off the shelf truck, Thus comes in the CUCV (M1008 5/4ton Pick up and 3/4ton Blazer). This same truck branded as a 3500 became popular with municpal governments. They produced thousands of these before Dodge ever got married to the Cummins motors and before Ford with international. Later came in the 6.5L, yes they did suck, guess what technology improves. I run a 6.5L, they are good engines with some care and some aftermarket parts (namly oil cooler lines, PMD, and balancers),"Those Injector pump failures that where so common with the 6.5L stem from a bunch of untrain mechanics which would source fuel problems to injection pump vs not knowing that driver was bad" its not a crazy horsepower engine either but it gets the job done. Anyways the 6.5L is used in the new series of HUMMV's (M1151,1152 US Army). Both the 6.2L and the 6.5L are still in the National Stock Numbers. It is still produced by GM today (Note: GM's Hummer brand is sold off, but GM still owns AM General), I can get a surplus 6.5L right now and drop it in my truck right now with little modification.

GM has been a player in the Diesel world, Either with the Detroit or the Dmax.

The actual order of how put a diesel in a 1 ton pick up is GM first (1980), then Ford (1985), followed by Dodge (1989).

Swampy
02-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Also I don't think ford is taking a big hit to the 450/550 size just because dodge came into the market.

Remember GM got out of that market, and they had a decent chunk of it.

GravelyGuy
02-17-2012, 11:58 PM
They are all good trucks these days, but Ford is built the heaviest. If you don't believe me just climb underneath them all and take a look for yourself. Fords also feel the best with a heavy load/trailer, and they have the best interior by a long shot.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Also I don't think ford is taking a big hit to the 450/550 size just because dodge came into the market.

Remember GM got out of that market, and they had a decent chunk of it.

The Kodiak was a bloated pig of a truck and really wasn't apples to apples like the Ram C&C's versus the F450 & 550. GM's Kodiak was like Ford trying to compete against the Suburban with the Excursion. It missed the mark because it was too big for the intended target market.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-18-2012, 12:22 AM
They are all good trucks these days, but Ford is built the heaviest. If you don't believe me just climb underneath them all and take a look for yourself. Fords also feel the best with a heavy load/trailer, and they have the best interior by a long shot.

I don't think anyone can argue against the Ford bodies being the most popular. That is why people are willing to shell out big bucks to have places like Destroked drop in a Cummins. You get the most popular body and the most popular engine in the same truck.

dwc
02-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Just drive a gasser and save the diesel for those of us that want real trucks!

JDGlandscape
02-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Lol no way, I own both and the gasser is the last one I want to own. Diese here for me. I do a lot of heavy work when I'm not mowing

PlantscapeSolutions
02-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Lol no way, I own both and the gasser is the last one I want to own. Diese here for me. I do a lot of heavy work when I'm not mowing

Glad to hear you like burning oil. I was talking to my neighbor who has the 6.0 with almost 300K and the company he works for had gassers in the past. He had the big GM 8.1 496 in one truck and he said the 6.0 or any Diesel is a world better. In the hills he said the 8.1 just couldn't hold it's own and he rarely pulls more then 10K.

I'm always amazed at the guys who think a V-8 or V-10 can compare to a Diesel for towing. I think it would be fun to have an 8.1 just too see how fast I could blow it up pulling my loaded 20' dump trailer that can gross out at over 20K.